• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't. 9 to 5 is bliss.

Disgusting. Americans work more. For less!

New page, where at least I know I'm free:

Gjupc5v.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I pay 42% income tax. And if I manage to add another 4k a year to my income 52% over the rest.

Not to mention the 21% sales tax on everything.

:(

loooooooooooooool why even live

Kaladin

So is this the end of an era with the Chikara brand truly done or is it some elaborate angle?

The more I think about it, it's kind of a bad choice to incorporate a part of your storyline that only a fraction of your fanbase follows into a major storyline that is meant to get people talking about your brand. Then again, if it is the end, Chikara would want to pay tribute to those fans who have been following that closely for so long and give them payoff. The fact that some of the workers are looking to replace dates tells me a lot, same with the idea of Quack having them sign an NDA the night of the show.

If this is the end of Chikara as a promotion, even if it continues as Wrestling Is..., it's a sad day for wrestling fans.

Kaladin

It has to be work.

Ballsy as fuck.

Really ballsy if it is a work. I know they have already alienated some fans who were just looking for good wrestling. They have probably also alienated some of their workers with how they're dealing with it. I don't know. I'm interested to see what the payoff is if it was a work, but they might have gone too far with it.

strobogo

Banned
I always lol at indie promotions acting like they are big companies. NDAs? Contracts? Come on, it's a cash business with zero benefits and the "company" is a dude in a house somewhere.

One forum seems to think Quack's wife acquired the CHIKARA name in some settlement, so that's why it all ended? I don't know, it's all odd, but it seems the internet is talking about it (which I guess is most of CHIKARA's fanbase).

Kaladin

So I found a more in depth explanation of the Chikara ending.....

A little context: Chikara was "sold" to Worldwide Media Development Corporation a few years ago. Shortly after the sale, a sharp-dressed gentleman would be seen at events, observing the roster and matches. We'd learned his name was Wink Vavasseur, an auditor from Worldwide Media Development Corporation. Soon, he would replace Dieter von Steigerwalt as Director of Fun. Clearly with a business background and no wrestling knowledge (he would routinely refer to wrestlers as Baseball Face or Snakeface, etc), Vavasseur oversaw a period of growth in Chikara, multiple attendance records broken and the creation of the Grand Championship under his watch.

Towards the end of 2012, Chikara fans learned that Worldwide Media Development Corporation was actually a holding of Titor Conglomerate, which also owns Condor Security, a private security company whose employees usually flanked Wink Vavasseur at shows. Those members of Condor Security were no longer seen in Chikara after King of Trios 2012 when they removed Swamp Monster from the building. We also learned that Wink got the Director of Fun job, because his father, Conrad, is an executive at Titor.

Vavasseur's approval rating within the fan base and locker room has plummeted. Vavassuer created a series of analytical formulas, dubbed Chikarabermetrics, to ensure the best athletes were being paired. This resulted in the popular Colony being rearranged, with Soldier Ant being kicked out of the group. Other unpopular decisions included placing Sugar Dunkerton in FIST, the censorship of blogs on the Chikara website, and the creation of Colony: Xtreme Force, which is purely as a marketing ploy.

At the end of "The Shoulder of Pallas," the Chikara event as part of Wrestlecon, Mike Quackenbush was handed an envelope by a gentleman wearing a hat with NPA on the front. After the event, Mike Quackenbush was removed from the roster page and hasn't been booked in Chikara since.

Yesterday, Derek Sabato sent out cryptic tweets about an "interesting phone call." Sabato came to the ring today with the envelope given to Quackenbush, tweeting its contents: a photo of the Titor executives at a ground breaking. This photo is somehow incriminating, or Wink Vavasseur wouldn't have sent the officials to kick Sabato out of the building.

During the main event, Wink Vavasseur, looking disheveled, and 20+ members of Condor Security came to ringside, causing the end of the main event. Condor Security began breaking down the set and entry way while shooing the fans out of the building. Wink sat on the stage, watching it all, eating an apple.

Bit by bit, the lights in the building went out. Zia, one of the photographers, and Billy Kumohara, host of the pre show quiz game, stood up to Condor members, but Billy was struck and Zia retreated to the locker room.

As the fans were ushered out of the building, no merchandise was up, no roster members selling their wares, nothing in the lobby.

As we went outside and the Trocadero's doors closed, a fan shoulder blocked the door, breaking the glass. Senior official Bryce Remsburg rushed out the door and through the crowd, still wearing his referee uniform, in tears. The crowd slowly dissipated, with a few fans in tears as well.

Billy Kumohara was the only other member of Chikara staff to be seen in front of the Trocadero, saying he was now out of a job.

http://www.wrestlingepicenter.com/news/2013//372276846.shtml

Curious to see how this all plays out if it is an angle.....it could either be Chikara going too far for an angle and alienating their fanbase or it could be brilliant.

The jury is out on if it is or isn't an angle still.

One forum seems to think Quack's wife acquired the CHIKARA name in some settlement, so that's why it all ended? I don't know, it's all odd, but it seems the internet is talking about it (which I guess is most of CHIKARA's fanbase).

Yeah, that was the rumour ahead of the show - Quack went on the Dr. Keith podcast show to deny those rumours, but still the storyline seems to be playing out exactly as the rumours implied, with CHIKARA being no more and turning into the Wrestling is... shows. How much is storyline and how much is real life is anyone's guess.

Kaladin

This is the most buzz I've had about wrestling since trying to guess who TNA had signed in 2006!

To my knowledge, no promotion has ever run an angle where it temporarily ended itself via storyline.

I know there was some tease of that with co-branded nWo/WCW events but I don't think it ever fully switched over, and they certainly didn't end both promotions with an angle.

This chikara thing could back fire spectacularly. It seems too elaborate for what ever it is. It's seems most of the fans at the troc where just as confused as the rest of us.

Hopefully there is more info as I was planning on going to the chikara show in New York in July.

Kaladin

Hopefully there is more info as I was planning on going to the chikara show in New York in July.

That's another thing....wrestling fans plan travel around some of these events, to cancel everything for sake of an angle is a bit risky. At least they didn't put dates for King of Trios up yet.

somedevil

James Storm was reportedly hurting after the PPV. He was experiencing abdominal discomfort backstage after his match, which is to be expected as he a slight abdominal tear, an abductor strain and groin pull while officiating an Impact Wrestling match on May 9th.

Yet they still gave them the tag titles. How is he going to heal if they keep making him do matches?

Kaladin

I showed a friend of mine some of the back story on the Titor Corp angle and the time travel stuff involving Archie and he said it made him go cross-eyed......and he is the demographic they would go after with this type of stuff being a wrestling fan, comic fan and so on.

This is the most buzz I've had about wrestling since trying to guess who TNA had signed in 2006!

Dirtsheets are abuzz with rumors that Chikara maybe have signed hot wrestling superstar #thepowerofjune to an exclusive month long contract. An unnamed source, who is in a position of power at a rival company, has told us "if this turns out to be true, we will have to shut up shop for the rest of this month."

"We cannot compete, we just cannot. My poor family" he added.

More as we get it

Dirtsheets are abuzz with rumors that Chikara maybe have signed hot wrestling superstar #thepowerofjune to an exclusive month long contract. An unnamed source, who is in a position of power at a rival company, has told us "if this turns out to be true, we will have to shut up shop for the rest of this month."

"We cannot compete, we just cannot. My poor family" he added.

More as we get it

My Masked Heart cannot take this teasing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honest talk, and unpopular talk, the end of CHIKARA kind of turned me off from them and I don't think I'll watch any more of it for a while until they get shit sorted. It was just too jarring, and I'm a casual CHIKARA watcher. It's enough to turn me off of the product, unfortunately. I get that it's cool and different and high concept (for wrasslin) but it just doesn't jive with me, and I think I'll let them languish for a while before I pick em back up.

BTW GWF Reveal tonight.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I heard the World Heavyweight Champion: Adolph has shown up for work today.

Raw64life

20130531_EP_LARGE_TripleH_CurtisAxel_R.jpg

lol again. And probably my biggest issue with Curtis Axel so far is on full display here. It's not quite as bad as The Miz, but he's terrible at trying to look tough/intense/aggressive/menacing, etc. He just looks like a goof when he tries to do it.

Top Bottom