• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Welcome to the Family, Disregard my Brother

Does anyone think that NOW is actually the best pro wrestling has ever been in terms of in-ring product? I watched a couple of old Ric Flair matches from the 80s and 90s, and I really feel the athleticism and match quality is far superior today. So many botches and slow sequences in the 80s and 90s.

Long story short, no. But that's personal taste. I don't think it's as clear cut, there's a lot more athletic dudes doing some incredibly athletic stuff nowadays, but on a whole there's a lot less technically proficient wrestlers and a lot of the storytelling has been lost in favour of more moves, more action. Watch a guy like Nick Bockwinkel and you won't see any high-flying or fancy chained sequences, but what you will see is a master technician at work. Sure, it's not the most exciting wrestling style, but it's a lost art form in today's wrestling - there's nothing I hate more than watching two dudes do an extended mat wrestling sequence when neither of them really understand the nuances of mat wrestling. They don't understand how to make a hold believable. This is why I dislike people complaining about 'rest holds'. It's not a bad hold, it's just the wrestler applying it doesn't know how to work the hold, or how to wrench it in so that it does look believable. As for the match quality itself being better than ever before, if you like today's style more than any other, I can see that being true for you personally, but wrestling is full of styles that changed and evolved over time - what worked during the 80's or 90's won't necessarily work today, but most of these styles have their merits. Personally, I think 90's All Japan is pretty much unbeatable.

Incidentally, here's my classic match playlist; http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j4f3 - lost of awesome stuff from the 80's & 90's there. I'd especially recommend;

Nick Bockwinkel (c) vs Jumbo Tsuruta (c) - (AJPW 02/23/84)

The Great Muta (c) vs Masahiro Chono (c) - (NJPW 01/04/93)

Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Holy Demon Army (Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue) - (AJPW 12/03/93)

strobogo

Banned
Definitely don't agree that more athletic = better. A crazy Dragon Gate 6 man with tons of dives and flips and intricate sequences isn't as good as Dick Murdoch punching people right in the mouth. It just isn't.

Murdoch did have a pretty sweet right hand, though. I certainly enjoyed watching Captain Redneck punch a whole lot of people over the years.

Also, it depends who's in the Dragon Gate 6-man...CIMA, Mochizuki & Dragon Kid vs Tozawa, BxB Hulk & YAMATO? Yes please.

RBH

jcegqxsopvU0i_e.jpg

jYrfhkGzcenRL_e.jpg

Andrea Lynn was ready for a big break.

The 20-year-old University at Buffalo senior has been dancing since she was 5. While attending Rush-Henrietta High School near Rochester, she visited Austria, Slovakia and the Czech Republic for a concert tour, and she’s used to hustling across New York State year-round for shows and competitions. She’s mastered everything from tap to jazz to ballet to ballroom, all of which she teaches at the Fred Astaire Dance Studio in Williamsville. She’s trained with Broadway stars, and unsurprisingly, she would like to join them one day.

“I could see her on ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ ” said Thomas Ralabate, chair of UB’s Theatre and Dance department. “She has that ability to do that, and to be an elite ballroom dancer.”

But on the last day of February, someone from World Wrestling Entertainment called the Fred Astaire studio in the afternoon. The WWE was coming to Buffalo for a show, and the company needed a young, attractive, proficient ballroom dancer, as soon as possible, no auditions necessary.

Four days later, Lynn was at the sold-out show at the First Niagara Center, ballroom dancing with Fandango, a wrestler who would soon be one of the WWE’s most popular and unlikely superstars. For Lynn, it was the start of what turned into a two-month run of traveling shows and televised appearances with the world’s leading wrestling company, which coincided with Fandango becoming the biggest social media sensation the WWE ever had.

She had not prepared for that.

“Usually for ballroom stuff, everyone is in glitter and sparkles and fancy costumes,” said Lynn, who uses only her first and middle name professionally. “Everyone, when you go to a ballroom event, is in some sort of formal attire. Backstage at Wrestlemania, however, the guys are in sweats and T-shirts – it wasn’t the same type of show that I was used to.”

So how did the WWE end up scouting a suburban studio for talent? “I have no idea,” Lynn said. “I think they just Googled it and tried the first place they could find. It was just dumb luck.”

Even if Lynn had less than five days to prepare for it, her sudden WWE stardom is as improbable as it sounds. For one thing, Lynn’s petite figure and perky manner don’t seem like an ideal fit for the body-slamming, table-smashing world of sports entertainment.

She wasn’t exactly a wrestling fan, either.

“I actually had no idea who anyone was,” she said. “I mean, I was aware of it. Like, I know who Hulk Hogan is and Andre the Giant is and stuff like that. But my family was never really into that. We were more of a theater, music, dance-type family.”

Fortunately for Lynn, the WWE was looking to inject a little more theater and dance into its brand with Fandango, a character who was planned and promoted for months before debuting in March. Although Fandango is portrayed by Curtis Hussey, a wrestler with almost 15 years of experience, the character is a strange bedfellow in the WWE roster: a fussy, flamboyant, sultry-voiced dancer who seems more interested in ballet than brawling, and works up his fiercest rage when his name is constantly mispronounced. (It’s Fahn-Dahn-Go – “breathe in the A’s,” as he told one interviewer.)

Presumably, Fandango is intended to help the WWE ride the wave of shows such as “Dancing with the Stars.” But the veteran wrestler needed a star dancer of his own to look like a ballroom pro. That’s where Lynn came in.

At the March 4 show in Buffalo, Lynn danced with Fandango as he entered the ring to his theme song “ChaChaLaLa,” a ringtone-ready tune of Latin-infused elevator music. They had little time beforehand to practice the dance, and their bit of ballroom barely lasted three minutes.

“It was just kind of ‘go with the flow,’ ” Lynn said. “I guess that adds to the magic. You don’t plan too much.”

The dance was supposed to be a one-time event for Lynn. But about two weeks later, the WWE called back. After scrambling to find a different local dancer for every show, the company wanted a consistent companion for Fandango. Lynn made a good impression in Buffalo. Was she available for more shows?

Lynn rearranged her school schedule accordingly, and asked Anastasia Abrashin, owner of the Fred Astaire studio, for some time off. Although Abrashin was unfamiliar with the WWE and said that it was “a little bit different” from what her dancers typically do, she was happy to oblige.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s WW – you know, whatever it’s called,” Abrashin said. “Not everyone gets an opportunity like this.”

For the next two months, Lynn was a fixture for Fandango, accompanying him before and after matches and sometimes joining him in the ring. She took on a new look to mirror the character’s prim-and-proper pompousness, with her brunette hair pulled back, her freckles hidden under makeup. She danced with Fandango in televised appearances across the country, including the pay-per-view Wrestlemania 29, which drew 80,000 fans to East Rutherford, N.J. – one of the largest crowds in WWE history.

Along the way, the Fandango craze took on a life of its own, when “Fandangoing” – a Hokey Pokey-esque dance inspired by Fandango’s painfully catchy theme song – somehow became an online sensation. Within weeks of Fandango’s debut, a #FandangoRevolution hashtag started, “ChaChaLaLa” charted on iTunes and YouTube videos of WWE fans, Houston Texans cheerleaders and PETA representatives “Fandangoing” went viral. It was the “Gangnam Style” of pro wrestling, and even though Fandango is supposed to be a villain – or “heel,” in industry terms – he became the WWE’s biggest crossover sensation in years. As an unknowing cohort in the Fandango Revolution, Lynn had mixed feelings about it.

“That’s not dancing, not at all,” she said, shaking her head. “That’s not giving the ballroom world justice. I can teach people how to dance if they want to learn.”

Lynn’s schedule remained as frenzied as her first appearance – she usually worked two shows a week, always learning her travel arrangements at the last minute and always on call for another appearance. But contrary to the stories of pressure and burnout that are common to the wrestling world, Lynn considered her two months in the WWE a pleasant experience – like being in “one big family,” she said. She taught some moves to Fandango backstage. She chatted with WWE CEO Vince McMahon, met the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and John Cena, shared a locker room with the divas and ran into Diddy and Snooki at Wrestlemania. She was given time, space and a company iPad to do homework and study for finals. She was ready to stay with the WWE through the summer, but in early May, the creative team opted for Summer Rae – an established star, and a rare wrestler with some dancing chops. She became Fandango’s new partner, and for the time being, Lynn was out of the show.

Since then, Lynn’s life has settled back to a simpler schedule: teaching full-time again at Fred Astaire, completing her dance major at UB and not having to hear “ChaChaLaLa” anymore. But that doesn’t mean that her Fandango Revolution is over. Lynn said that her departure from the WWE was good-natured and “open-ended,” and the company still has her in mind as a potential dancer. Even now, she’s never sure when another call could come to the studio. But next time, she’ll be ready.

“They didn’t cut me off like, ‘We don’t want you anymore,’ ” she said. “They could call me next week, they could call me next year.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130615/LIFE/130619430/1031

Ithil

I'd much rather that lady was back as Fandango's partner. I get why they're using Summer Rae, but the first dancer lended Fandango a lot more credibility.

Razorskin

----- ------
My predictions.

WWE Champion John Cena vs. Ryback (Three Stages of Hell Match)

World Heavyweight Champion Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio

Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk

WWE Tag Team Champions Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan

Intercontinental Champion Wade Barrett vs. The Miz vs. Curtis Axel

United States Champion Dean Ambrose vs. Kane

Divas Champion Kaitlyn vs. AJ Lee

Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow

I haven't watched in months.

strobogo

Banned
I don't think Dolph loses in his first defense, but I think I agree with everything else. AJ might lose. Idk. I forgot the show was tonight. I was pleasantly surprised by the last Ryback/Cena match until the ending, but 3 matches in one sounds like a terrible idea for Ryback. He was dying about 5 minutes into his match with Kane. If Kane blows you up, you need to do some running.

. WWE Championship: John Cena (c) vs Ryback
. World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs Alberto Del Rio
. Chris Jericho vs CM Punk
. WWE Tag Team Championship: The Shield (c) vs Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton
. Intercontinental Championship: Wade Barrett (c) vs The Miz vs Curtis Axel
. United States Championship: Dean Ambrose vs Kane
. Divas Championship: Kaitlyn (c) vs AJ Lee
. Sheamus vs Damien Sandow

Huh...I seem to have almost all the heels winning, and only almost because I can't see Sandow ever getting the push he deserves.

Cena will probably overcome the odds, but I'd like to think that this time the odds are stacked as an excuse for Cena to lose, rather than as an obstacle for him to overcome (again). Dolph ain't losing the title just yet and when he does, it will be because of Big E, setting up a feud between the two.

Ithil

-Cena wins. Lol.

Its his first defense, can't see them ending it already.

-This should be a story heavy one. Maybe a Punk face turn or other thing setting up a big summer program for him. There will be shenanigans somewhere

- There's a TINY chance they look to recreate Hell No's success with another odd couple in Orton and Bryan, but its really tiny. Expecting a heel turn from one of them.

- Wade has been turned into a joke champion with shitty booking, Miz is a joke because he's the Miz, seems right to pass it to Axel already.

- Clean win, probably, just a straight title defense.

Little bit split on this one. While the story would indicate Kaitlyn gets revenge on AJ at the PPV match, it really seems like the time for AJ to win the title and have a championship alongside Dolph.

- "Crowd pleasing" opener in the pre-show, which no doubt Sandow will be actually who the crowd are behind but the WWE will ignore it.

JustinBB7

I hope Punk doesn't show, kinda ruins his leaving too much for me. Should be a longer break and a surprise return with a good story, instead of.. this..

Kaladin

Fall 1: Cena
Fall 2: Ryback
Fall 3: Cena

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm a bit late compared to normal, but life and The Last Of Us happened, but since Payback is tonight... PREDICTION TIME!

20130610_LIGHT_payback_PreShow_C.jpg

Pre-show: Sheamus vs. Sandow
After bullying Sandow for a month by suckerpunching and kicking him as well as his supercomputer LCD-montior it is time for Sheamus to finally get his due... And defeat Sandow so more people will end up ordering the PPV. Sheamus wins and the crowd goes booooo, because this is Chicago and they're not idiots like the rest of the crowds.

20130610_EP_LIGHT_payback_AxelBarrettMiz_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Intercontinental Championship: Wade Barrett vs. Curtis Axel vs. The Miz
The Miz needs to never hold another title again. At least not until he actually starts improving again and stops doing that Figure Four of his. Hey Miz, here's a tip, actually work the leg during the match, so it makes more sense to use the move as a finisher. Ask Ric Flair, he gave you the move, he knows how to use it in a match. Barrett, please quit WWE and go to TNA, they are never going to get their heads out of their asses and push you. Curtis Axel wins the match and becomes champ, because booking lol.

20130610_EP_LIGHT_payback_KaitlynAj_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Divas Championship: Kaitlyn vs. AJ Lee
*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*
No seriously, I'm excited for this match which makes sense because AJ lol, but also because I'm sure these two can have a good match, if they get time. This is actually the match with the most build on the entire card. Seriously, it's been over a year since AJ first slapped Kaitlyn over the Daniel Bryan stuff and here we are. The two of them have been building this match very well, even making the most of a silly secret admirer storyline. While Kaitlyn is not quite there yet on the mic, AJ has more than made up for it by that in-ring promo on monday, which was the best womens promo since, well, Trish and Lita. Their match on NXT a month ago was pretty good, so here's hoping for 10 minutes and a crowd that cares (Chicago better not dissapoint). I hope the two thought of some good spots over the past year.
Before monday I would've picked AJ, but afterwards I can see it go both ways. The feud can continue with either of them winning. AJ and Dolph both being champs would also be quite awesome. It really is too close to call, so I'm gonna say the Divas Division wins for finally mattering for once. I hope that they soon retire the Divas belt though and bring back the Women's Championship, they didn't use the Divas name for the NXT belt, so there's hope. Plus that pink butterfly just doesn't fit either of The Chickbusters, or Paige, or Emma. It was great for the Kelly Kelly's and Alicia Fox's of the world, but the wrestlers need a good looking championship, not a toy.

20130610_EP_LIGHT_payback_AmbroseKane_HOMEPAGE.jpg

United States Championship: Dean Ambrose vs. Kane
Kane will probably not retire for a while, but I doubt he'll ever get another run like he has since last summer. It has been a great year for the guy and I think he would do well to take a backstage role and work a Undertaker-schedule, doing WrestleMania and SummerSlam only. It would be a great high note to end on. Seriously though, where does he go after this?
Obviously Ambrose isn't losing the title, so we'll either get a DQ finish or a clean win in this, probably the former. Ambrose retains.

20130610_EP_LIGHT_payback_TagMatch_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Tag Team Championships: The Shield (Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns) vs. Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton
Whoever photoshopped those titles on The Shield here should be fired on the spot. Probably an intern. Why haven't The Shield taken their official photos with the title yet? That's weird.
Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this match. The Shield will retain of course, but with Bryan and an Orton that's finally caring about what he's doing again this should be alot of fun. I know people are fearing they'll turn Bryan, but come on, they just gave him the winning fall in The Shield's first legit loss. The announcers have been putting the guy over so much and the crowd gets riled up when they see him in the ring. It's amazing. Truely magical. The Summer of Bryan is upon us. Orton looking so alive could be because of being in the ring with Bryan and feeding off of him and his crowd reaction, we saw the same thing with Kane after all. But I think it's probably because he finally gets what he wants: to turn heel. I'm not sure if he's gonna join The Shield, but I doubt that. Some post match shenanigans where he attacks Bryan is most likely. Maybe Kane will be involved so it can be Kane vs Orton at MitB when Bryan moves onto Cena.

20130605_EP_LIGHT_payback_delrio-ziggler_C-homepage.jpg

World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio
What would Del Rio do without Rodriguez? How little of a shit do people give about the guy? He's tried so much, but he's just not getting over. The only time you hear crowds cheer him is when Rodriguez urgest them on. Enter Chicago, bizzaro world, who will be behind Ziggler no-matter-what. Should be a fun match though, say what you will about Del Rio, but you can't deny his work in the ring. Ziggler will retain, and it should be alot of fun to see him back after a month of Del Rio vs. Big E. I hope it's a clean win for Ziggler, less cheap wins do great stuff for heels and the people that eventually beat them, just look at The Shield and Daniel Bryan.

20130524_EP_payback_JerichoPunk_2-C_HOMEPAGE.jpg

CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
This match isn't happening. This is WWE, and we expect the status quo from them and no risky moves. Not having CM Punk appear in Chicago is a great risk, because the crowd will boo the ever living hell out of whoever replaces him in this match. It should bring amazing heat.
What I think will happen is they'll tease the hell out of this match throughout the PPV, have Punk's music hit and play for a while, but no Punk will be there. Heyman will come out, admit that he couldn't get Punk to come and Punk is pissed off at him for signing him to this match and he'll replace him with Curtis Axel (maybe putting the IC Title on the line to "convince" Y2J to take the match). Crowd will boo Curtis Axel, who manages a clean win for once on Jericho, kayfabe injuring him (for another tour with Fozzy) after the match. Punk might come out at the end and attack Curtis Axel and maybe Heyman, saving Jericho and turning back face. I would think that's a cop-out, but they might feel they need to have Punk on the show to not have people too angry at advertising him.
Not exactly standard WWE booking, but Heyman, Jericho and Punk would definitely do a story like this, so who knows.

20130520_EP_payback_cenaryback_HOMEPAGE.jpg

WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Ryback in a Three Stages of Hell Match (Stage 1 - Lumberjack match. Stage 2 - Tables match. Stage 3 Ambulance match.)
First fall: Cena. Second fall: Ryback. Final fall: Cena. Cena wins, everyone watching loses.

I hope Punk doesn't show, kinda ruins his leaving too much for me. Should be a longer break and a surprise return with a good story, instead of.. this..

I want the same thing. Watching a PPV hoping the best wrestler the company has stays way - I've finally lost my mind.

Ultratech

My predictions:

*WWE Championship: John Cena (c) vs Ryback
They may try to extend this further and make Ryback actually credible. Then again, could also be more LOL CENA WINS. The latter is horribly, horribly likely.

World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs Alberto Del Rio
I had no idea this was even a match.

Chris Jericho vs CM Punk
I don't know if Punk will actually show up, but instead we get like Bork or something. Then Punk shows up afterwards. Just throwing shit out there.

WWE Tag Team Championship: The Shield (c) vs Daniel Bryan & Randy Orton
Shield won't lose the Tag Titles this soon, and Bryan will still be mega over win or lose.
I expect this to be a good match (hopefully the Match of the Night).

Intercontinental Championship: Wade Barrett (c) vs The Miz vs Curtis Axel
Oh how the IC title has fallen... :(
At this point, I'd laugh at Genesis falling into a title win.

United States Championship: Dean Ambrose vs Kane
Kane regulated to US Title duty? Oh man. Ambrose will eek out a win somehow, but I expect him to get his ass kicked for about 3/4 of the match.

Divas Championship: Kaitlyn (c) vs AJ Lee
AJ wins and we get a nice little feud going for a while. :D

Sheamus vs Damien Sandow
Dickhead Sheamus wins. Poor Sandow. :(

WHY DO THEY HAVE THE SAME FACE?!

Razorskin

----- ------
20130520_EP_payback_cenaryback_HOMEPAGE.jpg

WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Ryback in a Three Stages of Hell Match (Stage 1 - Lumberjack match. Stage 2 - Tables match. Stage 3 Ambulance match.)
First fall: Cena. Second fall: Ryback. Final fall: Cena. Cena wins, everyone watching loses.

I like how in this picture Cena's shirt points to his dick.

Oh god, that face. They all look like Rob Corddry.

First two confirmations of wrestlers leaving All Japan - former Triple Crown champion Masakatsu Funaki and former All Asia Tag champion and two-time World Jr. Heavyweight champion Shuji Kondo. Keiji Mutoh is gone, with Kaz Hayashi, KAI & Seiya Sanada expected to follow. Hope some of these dudes show up in New Japan - Kondo & Kaz would be the perfect shot in the arm the Jr. division needs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GWF 2.0 news, final TEAM reveals for the Laserfrog Invitational Hootenanny:

Pure Puro Power Pack:
Jamie OD, Bootaaay, and Slightconfuse (looking a little confused. And Jamie looks like he has his brain in a jar.)

The Dead:
Ithil, Strobogo, and DRAGONZORD
(Stro should have on a Mortis mask, and he wears it in the ring. I don't even)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6cAydkGryw&feature=youtu.be

Pure Puro Power Pack:
Jamie OD, Bootaaay, and Slightconfuse (looking a little confused. And Jamie looks like he has his brain in a jar.)

The Dead:

Cheerful Monster Ithil never fails to give me the shivers.

PLANET CENA.
Sounds like the next step up from the Cenation, we'll all be Cenaliens.
Oh and that's not good for AJ, hopefully she'll overcome the actual odds.

Jamie OD

Pure Puro Power Pack:

The Dead:

How do you perfect a Cody Rhodes style moustache? Turn it ginger.

DMczaf

What's the status on Cena's health, guys? Last I heard, WWE physician Dr. Chris Amann diagnosed Cena as being "hurt" but not "injured".

Top Bottom