• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
*goes to Cranky Vince twitter page*

ibdWmxDjyxf7RL.png

:( :( :(
FUCK THIS COMPANY

RBH

Raw segment-by-segment numbers:

The big difference between this and a usual three-hour show is that all the hype about Vince McMahon in the first segment saw the show open at a 2.88 rating, well above the usual start of a three-hour show. Not only that, but those people who tuned in early instead of staying, they tuned out after as Sheamus vs. Tensai lost 415,000 viewers. Vince backstage with Laurinaitis and Teddy Long, Tensai destroying Sakamoto and Big Show knocking out R-Truth gained 146,000 viewers. Santino Marella & Layla vs. Ricardo Rodriguez & Beth Phoenix and backstage with Vince plus a Daniel Bryan interview gained 98,000 viewers. Bryan doing an interview with C.M. Punk, Kane and A.J. involved gained 978,000 viewers, but that was the audience that mostly forgot about the 8 p.m. start and tuned in. The Dolph Ziggler vs. Christian vs. Jack Swagger vs. Great Khali match and the Ryback squash gained 4,000 viewers. Backstage stuff with McMahon, Hornswoggle including making fun of Jim Ross lost 145,000 viewers. Big Show vs. Kofi Kingston in a cage match at 10 p.m. gained 320,000 viewers to a 3.59 quarter. Sin Cara vs. Curt Hawkins lost 450,000 viewers. Vader vs. Heath Slater gained 324,000 viewers, which is impressive for that point in the show, especially since Vader hasn’t had a strong TV run in the U.S. since the late 90s. A.J. & Punk vs. Bryan & Kane lost 19,000 viewers. The show’s final segment with Vince, Laurinaitis, John Cena and Show gained 721,000 viewers.

somedevil

Its hilarious how Melzter will never give Punk or Bryan any credit if they pull a good rating. Also, they did well in keeping most of the viewers who watched Vader as well.

DMczaf

I'll agree that the 900K+ gain was due to the normal start time, but they were able to pretty much hold everyone in who tuned in to see Vader, and that's huge from Punk and Bryan. Momentum?!

Nah. Fuck these guys.

0cSjI.gif

I wonder if the returning superstar thing will continue leading up to the 1000th episode?

I guess it will.

Also the rating was good this week. The show wasnt completely shit ether.

I turned off before the Cena stuff and you should to. You'll live longer.

So what happens to the jobbers and Maxine/Kaitlyn from regular NXT? Just getting incorporated with new guys and new place?

Yea I actually watch NXT.

I wonder if the returning superstar thing will continue leading up to the 1000th episode?

I guess it will.

Someone said it would, can't remember if it was on Raw or I just read it here lol.

somedevil

Found this Ryback news hilarious and it explains why no WWE talent has worked with him yet.

Despite recent reports about WWE talents being hesitant to work with Ryback, Vince McMahon is loving how the gimmick is going. Some in the company don't like how the crowd chants "Goldberg" and the rule is to edit it off the taped SmackDown shows but they obviously can't on pay-per-views or RAW.

We noted before that some WWE talents were hesitant to work with Ryback. There is at least some talk among the crew with people saying Ryback is a severe injury to an opponent just waiting to happen, because of his intensity and his sloppiness in depositing people.

Bobo, you need to update your avatar. Vader pretty much copies it in that gif.

Yeah, I don't know how to do that though. Plus Vader Classic is iconic. On the bright side

91a2cbd3734d991ccf6d588c0cf42602_L.jpg

Fuck yes! Gonna guess Sabin wins starting his push and Aries moves to the main event scene to compete against Roode at the next ppv.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Same. At least we get some Paige goodness in there too.

Cole said during the Vader match that there will be one returning star every week until the 1k episode. Get hyped for Sid! Tatanka! Doink! I dont know who else!

Nash, Bret Hart? Seems like Hacksaw is always popping out of nowhere. Hopefully they only stick with guys that can still wrestle. New Age Outlaws would get a HUGE pop and could be entertaining.

tm24

Yeah, I don't know how to do that though. Plus Vader Classic is iconic. On the bright side

Fuck yes! Gonna guess Sabin wins starting his push and Aries moves to the main event scene to compete against Roode at the next ppv.

Not gonna lie, was wondering why you photoshopped Dean Ambrose in there for a bit

Kaladin

Seriously fucking hyped for that match.

I'm hyped for a match on Impact. I'm scared.

Seriously fucking hyped for that match.

I'm hyped for a match on Impact. I'm scared.

Impact is the best weekly wrestling show on tv now. Hope we get more of the Dixie/AJ storyline too. According to the new Observer there are alot of twists and turns planned for that storyline.

Maybe all the returning Raw stars stuff can have the theme of "people who can't do their proper finshers because powerbombs are banned now". Vader first, we can have Sid next, maybe Batista, who else?

RBH

Chris Masters and Trina Michaels were both at the 6/7 Impact tapings. Masters worked a dark match before the show, losing to Robbie E when Robbie T interfered in about 5:00. He got a good reaction, but whenever a former WWE guy shows up the first time at the Impact Zone the crowd is hot for them. Masters had worked for Ring Ka King and Jeff Jarrett was very high on him. However, Jarrett has no decision making power right now when it comes to talent. He did fine but we have no indication one way or another whether they will sign him. Michaels didn’t perform but had a meeting trying to push the idea of a feud with Brooke Hogan as a Hogan vs. Michaels feud.

RBH

More about the WWE's acquisition of the Mid-South/UWF library via the Observer:

What was sold is not the complete collection of the Watts promotion, which ran from 1979 to 1987.

The Watts family collection consists of almost every episode of Mid South Wrestling taped at the Irish McNeill Boy’s Club in Shreveport from December 1981 to December 1985, which was the company’s flagship show. It also had the run of Power Pro Wrestling shows from 1984 to the end of 1985. Power Pro was the “B” show, with the early shows consisting of what today would be considered hand-helds of arena shows shot by Joel Watts. Later, it became a regular taping at Gilley’s Night Club in Fort Worth at the end of the run.

There is also house show raw footage from late 1983 through the summer of 1985. There are some UWF shows from 1986 and 1987, but not the complete collection, including a few after Crockett bought the company, which is weird. Many of those shows are just raw footage of the matches before editing, as they have no graphics or interviews, or vignettes that would have been on the TV show. They also have the 1970s movie “Wrestling Queen,” which was about the late Vivian Vachon, which has a lot of footage from the McGuirk territory from that era.

It should be noted that none of the local promos for the arena shows were saved. If there was talk of a JYD tape, and I’ve heard rumblings they are interested in doing that, that would hurt a lot because his best stuff were his weekly promos for the shows in the New Orleans market and the rest of the territory.

Micah Watts had told people there was a lot more stuff in the collection but it was one inch and two inch reels and they felt the cost of transferring it couldn’t be made up with in sales. That would be whatever survived of the McGuirk territory, some UWF stuff and Mid South before December 1981.

The collection did not include much of the last year which was the UWF year, which I’m presuming was sold to Jim Crockett Jr. when he purchased the company in early 1987. It also didn’t include any of the 1980 Freebirds vs. JYD feud which was the hottest angle ever in New Orleans. It didn’t include the period where JYD was built. It does include maybe the last couple of years of JYD, and a lot of people like Ted DiBiase, Steve Williams, Jim Duggan, Kamala, The Midnight Express, Rock & Roll Express, Fantastics, Dick Murdoch, Jake Roberts, The Freebirds, as well as some house show main events with The Von Erichs, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes and others who came in for big shows.

According to Dave Bixenspan and what we’ve been able to find out, the most modern major territorial stuff that exists that they don’t own would be the Memphis collection and who knows who owns that with it being sold in parts to so many different people, and the St. Louis collection (which consists of only the last few years of Wrestling at the Chase TV) which is owned by The Fight Network in Canada.

There is also the Ron Martinez film collection, which is where the Wrestling Gold tapes we did came from. Ron died years ago. Todd Okerlund (Gene’s son) bought at least some of that collection for his Classic Wrestling company that used to produce low-priced classic PPVs (which at one time did very well when they were airing AWA stuff with the big names from the 70s and 80s).

The Savoldi family also has a big collection that includes USWA footage from Dallas. Dick the Bruiser’s wife has said they still have some of his old WWA stuff from Indiana, but has never put it for sale and at this point there would be almost no value in it except to sell to WWE.

The family of the late Fred Ward, who did his own TV show in Columbus, GA, using the same talent that appeared on TBS, is believed to have a ton of footage that nobody has seen unless they grew up in that city. For whatever reason, they have never marketed it or sold it. At one point Cornette tried to buy the footage from the family and they had no interest in selling it. The fact WWE doesn’t own it either says it’s not of good enough quality, as the latest would be 27 years ago and you’d think most would be older, or there isn’t much of it. Again, the stuff is of very little value except to sell to McMahon. If you think about it, a lot of the people who owned the tape collections, Mike Graham for Florida and the Gagne family, on a personal level, the last person they would want to sell it to would be WWE based on the history, but it was the right business move. Whatever money there was to be made from those tapes in marketing them was declining and in time would be almost gone. At that point, their only value is to McMahon for DVDs and the eventual network.

Bob Barnett and Dave Bixenspan own whatever was left of the Bill Watts collection that his wife didn’t get in the divorce. Watts sold it to Brian Last, boxes of one inch, two inch, quad, VHS tapes, some Beta tapes and a few 16 mm film reels, most of which were from the last year of the UWF. Last ended up making deals with Barnett and Bixenspan who had most of the stuff converted to DVD. There was some mid-80s stuff as well and some 1986 Crockett Cup footage.

The other major collection that is believed to still exist would be Houston wrestling. Boesch saved a lot of footage, some of which aired at a time for a nostalgia TV show and some was released in VHS form. The production values would be so-so by today’s standards, but no different from most anything else from that era. Houston was one of the major wrestling markets in the country during the entire period Boesch’s stuff would have aired. The bulk of the footage would likely be from the 80s. It’s mostly Mid South Wrestling augmented with guys Boesch would book from the outside before the business changed. But I’ve seen nothing done with that collection in many years. There has also been a question of ownership of the tapes between Valerie Boesch, Paul’s widow, Peter Birkholz, Paul’s nephew, and Nick Bockwinkel, who owned points in the Houston office when it closed.

There are a number of minor collections in existence, as Grey Pierson, who promoted Global Wrestling out of the Dallas Sportatorium in the early 90s has uploaded clips of late to YouTube from what appeared to be his broadcast masters.

Top Bottom