• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Ithil

negdu.jpg

BAH GAWD LOOK AT THE STRENGTH OF ZIGGLER!

wow...there was a PPV today. It has finally happened, I have no interest in watching Wrestling or following it every week anymore.

I will keep checking in now and then to see if something interesting happens (like Stone Cold vs CM Punk). I used to buy 3-4 PPVs + Rumble and WM, maybe only Rumble + WM next year.

wow...there was a PPV today. It has finally happened, I have no interest in watching Wrestling or following it every week anymore.

I will keep checking in now and then to see if something interesting happens (like Stone Cold vs CM Punk). I used to buy 3-4 PPVs + Rumble and WM, maybe only Rumble + WM next year.

9iLit.jpg

Cagey

Banned
More thoughts from attending the PPV
- Crowd was supernova hot for Ziggler, like I said
- Crowd was relatively quiet for the Cena/Show match until Cena's pals showed up... even the kiddies... no one cared
- Ryback is something everyone should see in person once, because that MFer is massive; after that, back to being bored of him

Lastly, fuck the majority of smart marks. Seriously. Die in a fire.
- Christian and Cody have a wrestling match, a good one, and various "smarks" start chants of "boring" or "we want Ryder".
- Bryan, Punk, and Kane put on a great match and within 5 minutes it's "WE WANT AJ" chants
- HHH comes out, you know that guy who ruins everything, and they go batshit crazy

Most smart marks are just cynical "bad guys R kewl" dickbags. They cry about how there's no more wrestling, that it's all nonsense promos and squashes, but let's face it. They don't REALLY want wrestling matches. They just want to see heels win because they're stuck in late-90s "anti-hero" WWF/WCW mode. They don't like wrestling matches.

EDIT: booing Cena is counterproductive. The company WANTS that negative reaction, just as much as the positive one. He's polarizing. It sells. Stop making noise and booing him unless its a repeat of One Night Stand 2006. Just be silent.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol wow

Why would they cheer for Ziggler but not react to Big Show if they just all like heels? Why would they cheer for Ziggler if they don't like wrestling? I'm not Ziggler's biggest fan, but wrestling is all there IS to Dolph Ziggler.

Cagey said:
Most smart marks are just cynical "bad guys R kewl" dickbags. They cry about how there's no more wrestling, that it's all nonsense promos and squashes, but let's face it. They don't REALLY want wrestling matches. They just want to see heels win because they're stuck in late-90s "anti-hero" WWF/WCW mode. They don't like wrestling matches.

Maybe it's more to do with WWE forgetting how to book faces? Or heels, for that matter? Perhaps it's more to do with WWE over-protecting their super faces and not giving heels enough offence, enough wins, to convince anyone that they're a credible threat. I'd guess that could explain why some smarks might be more excited for the incidental shit than the actual matches - but even so, anyone chanting boring at that IC title match isn't a wrestling fan.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Maybe it's more to do with WWE forgetting how to book faces? Or heels, for that matter? Perhaps it's more to do with WWE over-protecting their super faces and not giving heels enough offence, enough wins, to convince anyone that they're a credible threat. I'd guess that could explain why some smarks might be more excited for the incidental shit than the actual matches - but even so, anyone chanting boring at that IC title match isn't a wrestling fan.
I just wish they would take some damn risks. The issue with the Kane/AJ/Punk/Bryan storyline is that it can go bad at any second, and it may have just done that tonight. If Kane had won, then it would have been the unpredictable ending, if Bryan had won, it would have been the predictable but good ending. Punk winning is just another safe ending.

At this point, I actually don't want AJ and Bryan to be in cahoots, because it won't make any sense. If Bryan had won tonight, it would have worked, but now, it's too far gone. If AJ helps out Bryan at the next PPV, then you have to ask, why? Why then, and not now? What purpose does it serve?

Cagey

Banned

I think everything you wrote prior to the bold was spot-on accurate, and yet, it wasn't an isolated occurrence of two-three people. There were several audible "boring" or "we want Ryder" chants (essentially another means of saying "boring" at this point) throughout the match.

Rhodes got the "YAY HEEL" pop, and then immediately a dead crowd with filler chants. I can understand the kids not liking the match, but the "smarks"? Come on now.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think everything you wrote prior to the bold was spot-on accurate, and yet, it wasn't an isolated occurrence of two-three people. There were several audible "boring" or "we want Ryder" chants (essentially another means of saying "boring" at this point) throughout the match.

Rhodes got the "YAY HEEL" pop, and then immediately a dead crowd with filler chants. I can understand the kids not liking the match, but the "smarks"? Come on now.
Well, this is the only audience the WWE attracts these days. It's either little kids or the super smarks. That's it. The general public which would go crazy and follow the show for the show itself (like the old crowds we always talk about) have been burned too often by the WWE. This is all that's left.

It's not like the WWE hasn't had the chance to bring them back. Punk after MITB, Rock, Lesnar returning. Like always, they fuck it up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's how shitty WWE's booking is.

I'm trying to think of a heel I can see posing a legit threat to Punk, Cena, or Sheamus from a storytelling perspective. Dolph? Nope. Jobbed to all of them, not to mention, got squashed by a dancing idiot who has never even won a title. The only way they could do it is to turn him face, drop Vickie and act like she was why he was failing so much, but then they wouldn't do face vs face. Kane? Nope. Kane will always be a joke who never wins anything major. You know it, and I know it. The last time Kane was a threat was shortly after he lost his mask, and he's been a boring goober since then. Mark Henry? Possibly over Sheamus and Punk. Sheamus has beaten him, but they're close calls. Mark has beaten Punk even if it involved interference that wasn't on his part. I love Mark Henry as a heel, but between all the injuries and his age, this wouldn't be ideal. Cody? Nope. They've booked Cody like shit ever since he feuded with Big Show. Big Show turns everything to shit. Big Show? Fuck Big Show. Tensai? Nope. Cena beat him, and Sheamus beat him. I'm sure Super Punk can beat him too. Jericho? Punk beat him. Cena's beaten him more times than I have fingers. Sheamus has probably beaten him if Jericho has trouble with a guy like Kofi.

What the hell does that say about your booking when you don't have a single, credible heel in your company to face Gohan, Goku, and Vegeta?

SoulPlaya

more money than God

I'm trying to think of a heel I can see posing a legit threat to Punk, Cena, or Sheamus from a storytelling perspective. Dolph? Nope. Jobbed to all of them, not to mention, got squashed by a dancing idiot who has never even won a title. The only way they could do it is to turn him face, drop Vickie and act like she was why he was failing so much, but then they wouldn't do face vs face. Kane? Nope. Kane will always be a joke who never wins anything major. You know it, and I know it. The last time Kane was a threat was shortly after he lost his mask, and he's been a boring goober since then. Mark Henry? Possibly over Sheamus and Punk. Sheamus has beaten him, but they're close calls. Mark has beaten Punk even if it involved interference that wasn't on his part. I love Mark Henry as a heel, but between all the injuries and his age, this wouldn't be ideal. Cody? Nope. They've booked Cody like shit ever since he feuded with Big Show. Big Show turns everything to shit. Big Show? Fuck Big Show. Tensai? Nope. Cena beat him, and Sheamus beat him. I'm sure Super Punk can beat him too. Jericho? Punk beat him. Cena's beaten him more times than I have fingers. Sheamus has probably beaten him if Jericho has trouble with a guy like Kofi.

What the hell does that say about your booking when you don't have a single, credible heel in your company to face Gohan, Goku, and Vegeta?
Say what you want, and I agree, but as a Kane fan, I have to say this. When Kane won the World title in 2010, they did a great job of making him look dominate and absolutely formidable up until the Edge feud. His character is also bulletproof. If he won tonight, no mark would have batted an eye. Punk and Sheamus can still be beat.

However, I don't think ANYONE or any group of people can beat Cena.

Ok lets fantasy book this shit.

At some point over the next few weeks RAW Vince will say he will announce the new GM.. the he will get a message from the board saying due to some dumb reason Johnny Ace is rehired.

This might lead to Vince and Johnny getting involved in the Cena / Show feud. Maybe they will get involved as the managers in the HHH / Brock feud.

Cena and Big show will continue because like all Cena feuds Cena will win every match but WWE creative can always come up with another reason for another match.

CM Punk / Kane / AJ will continue but Bryan is dropped from the story completely. He is probably moved to SD to fill Ortons spot.

Sheamus will continue doing what ever the fuck he is doing.

Triple H will beat Brock at Summerslam because Triple H.

Maybe Brock will be built up enough again after 2 pointless WWE ego feeding defeats that he can actually put a young guy over at mania before his contract expires and he never returns to WWE again after the shit they put him through.

At MITB someone will win and cash in because my fucking god the title picture is stale as fuck on both shows. The main event / Cena picture is equally dull and the guy really needs to get his ass off TV for a few weeks to sort his shit out but whatever. Vince needs those kiddie moneyz.

Maybe WWE creative has a big angle coming that will shake things up but if its involving Cena or Triple H it wont make it past its first PPV before being crushed.

eldoon

Didnt mankind sign with wwe for a management role and he was supposed to be the anonymous raw gm.
Would vince hire mankind as gm or is that angle too far gone .

Cagey

Banned

Booking is terrible, sure, but people can still enjoy wrestling matches and wrestlers, even when "your guy" loses.

Case in point: Sheamus. Unlike Goku-Cena, Gohan-Sheamus has been pretty good as a wrestler recently. Hate the booking of him, sure. Think he's stale, fine. To read here or, more to my point, to hear live post-match the nonsense about a crap match/finish and "fuck this company" and fuck Sheamus etc... you just watched a great wrestling match where both guys put on a damn good show and there was very little story behind it, either to build the match up OR for them to mess up moving forward. Enjoy the concept of wrestling!

More disappointing, for me, was the silence for Christian/Cody, the silence for the tag-team match (at least it's a legitimate tag-team wrestling match unlike the Triple H promo that everyone in the arena went batshit for), and the "WE WANT AJ" (i.e. cut to the story already lulz) chants during the Punk/DBry/Kane battle.

Excitement for wrestling matches themselves just seemed so damn lacking.

Granted, this is the first WWE event I've seen live since 2007.

bill0527

Didnt mankind sign with wwe for a management role and he was supposed to be the anonymous raw gm.
Would vince hire mankind as gm or is that angle too far gone .

I don't think thats going to happen.

The dirt sheets the other day said HHH hates Foley, thinks he's useless, and doesn't want him on TV again.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Booking is terrible, sure, but people can still enjoy wrestling matches and wrestlers, even when "your guy" loses.

Case in point: Sheamus. Unlike Goku-Cena, Gohan-Sheamus has been pretty good as a wrestler recently. Hate the booking of him, sure. Think he's stale, fine. To read here or, more to my point, to hear live post-match the nonsense about a crap match/finish and "fuck this company" and fuck Sheamus etc... you just watched a great wrestling match where both guys put on a damn good show and there was very little story behind it, either to build the match up OR for them to mess up moving forward. Enjoy the concept of wrestling!

More disappointing, for me, was the silence for Christian/Cody, the silence for the tag-team match (at least it's a legitimate tag-team wrestling match unlike the Triple H promo that everyone in the arena went batshit for), and the "WE WANT AJ" (i.e. cut to the story already lulz) chants during the Punk/DBry/Kane battle.

Excitement for wrestling matches themselves just seemed so damn lacking.

Granted, this is the first WWE event I've seen live since 2007.
Could you envision a day where the WWE was nothing more than promos, brawls, and story progression? What a world.

Cagey

Banned
Could you envision a day where the WWE was nothing more than promos, brawls, and story progression? What a world.

A convoluted hilarious mess, to be sure., but AJ and Ricardo would be perfect for this world, because they're great actors for daytime soap opera grade television.

Think the ideal situation to do with AJ/Kane is set Kane up to win the next title and then push AJ as the premiere diva heel who is batshit crazy. I mean, have her go up against Beth and after Beth does a powerslam have her stand up and do the creepy sexy face and creep everybody out. Move whoever to face Sheamus(either Kane/D Brian) and do whatever. D Brian can easily do a face turn and have Cody become the premiere heel for smackdown.

Let Sheamus lose the title and have him run IC/US for a while. Unsure about Cena.

Dolph looked really strong tonight to be honest. If he had to lose, he losr in the strongest way possible

If he spends till the next PPV distancing himself from Vicky, and then wins MitB, he becomes a person people will really care about.

Also, his character, with the MitB case, seems like it could be fun.

bangai-o

Banned
maybe tonite Kane will plant the seed. Over the next coming Raws, strange supernatural occurences take place whenever AJ is in highly emotional states. Eventually we learn that was Daniel Bryan's plan all along.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I know I joke around a lot, but this storyline really just became terribly weird tonight.

This is what I thought was going to happen. Bryan and Punk would feud, with AJ in the middle. When Kane got involved, I thought Kane was going to kidnap AJ, while Bryan and Punk are in the middle of the ring arguing, Kane appears on the titantron and gives a promo about "You guys tried to make me a pawn, now I'll teach you both a lesson, blah blah blah", we get this triple threat, Kane takes the fall for Bryan, and he's out of the picture.

I'm glad Kane is still in this, but are they really trying to have him be AJ's pawn? How is Kane going to continue falling for her when even wwe.com is saying she screwed Kane to help Punk? How can AJ screw over Punk and join up with Bryan, if she didn't do it now? I mean, why wait? Either Kane (AJ really likes Kane) or Bryan (and reveal it to be in cahoots with AJ) should have won tonight. Instead, they went with the safe pick in Punk, who isn't even a ratings draw.

maybe tonite Kane will plant the seed. Over the next coming Raws, strange supernatural occurences take place whenever AJ is in highly emotional states. Eventually we learn that was Daniel Bryan's plan all along.
Bryan's plan was to have AJ learn Kane's powers? LOL!!! You know what, I could dig that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

This shit is worse than Katie Vick.

So I'm all for it.

G-Fex

I figured out how this AJ thing will end.

Imagine the guy in the white mask as Bryan or Punk and the girl obviously is AJ.

iuFzMz0ACbSV5.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I figured out how this AJ thing will end.

Imagine the guy in the white mask as Bryan or Punk and the girl obviously is AJ.

iuFzMz0ACbSV5.gif
You know, if they go with some supernatural nonsense now, I'll support it. It's the only way for this stuff to make sense now.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Nah just make it clear that real AJ is a nutjob and have Punk yell at her tomorrow night and cause her to go nutty.
That would be a good way to go with it, and it's probably what they'll do.

"I tried to help you, but you rejected me, so I'm going back to the first guy who rejected me, and ignoring the guy who I made out with who really wants me and actually cares about me!"

Kane then starts his new gimmick as the lead singer of an emo band.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ok lets fantasy book this shit.

At some point over the next few weeks RAW Vince will say he will announce the new GM.. the he will get a message from the board saying due to some dumb reason Johnny Ace is rehired.

This might lead to Vince and Johnny getting involved in the Cena / Show feud. Maybe they will get involved as the managers in the HHH / Brock feud.

Cena and Big show will continue because like all Cena feuds Cena will win every match but WWE creative can always come up with another reason for another match.

CM Punk / Kane / AJ will continue but Bryan is dropped from the story completely. He is probably moved to SD to fill Ortons spot.

Sheamus will continue doing what ever the fuck he is doing.

Triple H will beat Brock at Summerslam because Triple H.

Maybe Brock will be built up enough again after 2 pointless WWE ego feeding defeats that he can actually put a young guy over at mania before his contract expires and he never returns to WWE again after the shit they put him through.

At MITB someone will win and cash in because my fucking god the title picture is stale as fuck on both shows. The main event / Cena picture is equally dull and the guy really needs to get his ass off TV for a few weeks to sort his shit out but whatever. Vince needs those kiddie moneyz.

Maybe WWE creative has a big angle coming that will shake things up but if its involving Cena or Triple H it wont make it past its first PPV before being crushed.

Vince probably wouldn't let cena take time off.

I remember last year (or maybe it was this year?) Cena ended up missing a house show due to a pulled muscle or some other injury.

WWE offered REFUNDS. Yes, REFUNDS.

Even when Bret Hart was working two matches a show, they never, EVER would have done something like offer a refund if Bret Hart had to miss an event.

WWE is too reliant on cena. The entire show revolves around him. He caps off the audio montage at the beginning of every show that has audio clips of vince chanting wrestlemania, "Andre the Giant," Rock, Stone Cold, and other miscellaneous iconic phrases/personas/events. He is the grand finale, the climax of all that WWE is about. That's the message sent by them with that montage (not to mention the cena audio is "The champ is here." Yeah, thanks for reminding us who the champ is, even when you don't hold the title. Bury the fucking locker room.)

It doesn't feel like Cena is part of the product. It feels like he IS the product, and everyone else, title holders and challenges included, just exists as a leadup to the Cena Show.

You never got that kind of vibe even when guys like Hogan, Austin, and Rock were out of the title picture.

Top Bottom