• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Booking is terrible, sure, but people can still enjoy wrestling matches and wrestlers, even when "your guy" loses.

Case in point: Sheamus. Unlike Goku-Cena, Gohan-Sheamus has been pretty good as a wrestler recently. Hate the booking of him, sure. Think he's stale, fine. To read here or, more to my point, to hear live post-match the nonsense about a crap match/finish and "fuck this company" and fuck Sheamus etc... you just watched a great wrestling match where both guys put on a damn good show and there was very little story behind it, either to build the match up OR for them to mess up moving forward. Enjoy the concept of wrestling!

More disappointing, for me, was the silence for Christian/Cody, the silence for the tag-team match (at least it's a legitimate tag-team wrestling match unlike the Triple H promo that everyone in the arena went batshit for), and the "WE WANT AJ" (i.e. cut to the story already lulz) chants during the Punk/DBry/Kane battle.

Excitement for wrestling matches themselves just seemed so damn lacking.

Granted, this is the first WWE event I've seen live since 2007.

You're watching the wrong show. If people want to watch a show and enjoy the "concept of wrestling" they wouldn't be watching 2012 WWE, they would be watching any other wrestling show that no doubt features much better wrestling. People watch WWE for the theatrics, the storylines, and the "bigness" of it all. WWE hardly gives a shit at all about putting on actual good wrestling matches outside of Wrestlemania. Sure, a good match will happen when you get two good workers together, but that's not what the WWE is selling. They are selling Cena overcoming the odds once again, a dancing fat guy and his two stripper wannabes, a muscle bound steroid freak throwing around two guys that weigh half his weight, pyro, and divas making out with wrestlers. It should surprise nobody that a 2012 WWE crowd would think a good wrestling match between two guys (or a ring full of guys as far as the tag team match goes) the WWE has given them no reason to care about is boring.

Christian is so incredibly boring it's astonishing to think he was ever interesting. At least Ryder is cheesy, Christian can't even muster up that much anymore. Not to mention he literally has THREE of the worst finishers in current WWE. I'd say he'd be better off in TNA if I didn't think he'd ruin the better than WWE run they've been on.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Christian is so incredibly boring it's astonishing to think he was ever interesting. At least Ryder is cheesy, Christian can't even muster up that much anymore. Not to mention he literally has THREE of the worst finishers in current WWE. I'd say he'd be better off in TNA if I didn't think he'd ruin the better than WWE run they've been on.
What? Christian at one point was incredibly entertaining. They've just given him a bland character, that's all. Hell, I loved his heel work not that long ago (I still say "one more match")

This is still arguably the funniest thing the WWE has ever done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DPiRgLLw4

"You're a crime fighter, why didn't you stop him?"

Even with the shitty ending, the triple threat match was surprisingly good. I'm hoping this isn't the end of Daniel Bryan's push. He was MIA for the last 5 minutes of the match. As for John Cena:

mBwwa.jpg

Need I say more?

I have to agree here. He seems bored right now. The ECW run he had after he came back to WWE was good, and he had some great matches with the newer guys on there (Ryder), but since than nothing has worked.

G-Fex

i'd make another video Soul but i'm tired.

and I haven't a clue what song to use. I was thinking Olivia newton john's 'Magic'

What? Christian at one point was incredibly entertaining. They've just given him a bland character, that's all. Hell, I loved his heel work not that long ago (I still say "one more match")

This is still arguably the funniest thing the WWE has ever done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DPiRgLLw4

"You're a crime fighter, why didn't you stop him?"

I don't think he's always been terrible but his current return run has been as boring as his 5 minute TNA loan. And his frog splash rivals Punk's elbow and his spear is worse than Gillberg's.

RBH

Yeah, I understand why the WWE turned Christian face since the roster is thin, but man, he is just terrible as a babyface and just sooooo much better as a heel.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
i'd make another video Soul but i'm tired.

and I haven't a clue what song to use. I was thinking Olivia newton john's 'Magic'
No, don't make another music video about this. Your's was great, as is. Only make one if things keep going in a great way between AJ & Kane. Leave the memories alone, before they totally fuck this storyline up, lol.

That is what I want. Heel AJ and Kane. Also let both of them win titleships and have them be known as the couple from hell.
I really like you.

I don't think he's always been terrible but his current return run has been as boring as his 5 minute TNA loan. And his frog splash rivals Punk's elbow and his spear is worse than Gillberg's.
Christian just doesn't work as a face, man. You can almost feel the crowd wanting to boo him, lol.

WWE Creative™ + Vince just need to watch the Stone Cold Survivor Series 96 promo video on repeat 24/7, then hire some comic book writers because they have no idea how to create badasses or compelling babyfaces anymore. People call Cena "Superman," but that's doing a disservice to the numerous times writers have tried to humanize Supes and give him legitimate conflict- physically, morally, and otherwise. The WWE roster is maaaaad boring, yo. All of them. At this point I'd rather just see the brooms HHH mentioned fight each other.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really can't wait until Vince is gone, and Trips takes over. I know he's an egomaniac, but if you read any of his interviews, he's one of the few guys who really knows his history and knows what works in wrestling.

Like Buff Bagwell. Buff works!
tumblr_m1z5jf3ug61r32mfd9u.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really can't wait until Vince is gone, and Trips takes over. I know he's an egomaniac, but if you read any of his interviews, he's one of the few guys who really knows his history and knows what works in wrestling.

Like Buff Bagwell. Buff works!
tumblr_m1z5jf3ug61r32mfd9u.gif
I have a feeling that you will regret saying this one day, lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Isn't the story always that Vince wants to go with some ridiculous storyline, but it's HHH that has to pull him back with safer decisions? Maybe it's HHH that's pushing for more safe ass Cena wins? Who knows?

They've already spoiled that Laurinitis is going to be the liason to the board of directors, so the board of directors, after making a year of face decisions, is turning heel. But wait, HHH and Vince McMahon are on the board of directors in storyline. Oh you, WWE.

rvd2kewl

Booking is terrible, sure, but people can still enjoy wrestling matches and wrestlers, even when "your guy" loses.

Case in point: Sheamus. Unlike Goku-Cena, Gohan-Sheamus has been pretty good as a wrestler recently. Hate the booking of him, sure. Think he's stale, fine. To read here or, more to my point, to hear live post-match the nonsense about a crap match/finish and "fuck this company" and fuck Sheamus etc... you just watched a great wrestling match where both guys put on a damn good show and there was very little story behind it, either to build the match up OR for them to mess up moving forward. Enjoy the concept of wrestling!

Exactly! The Sheamus bashing to me really just comes off as people bitching just to bitch. As I said during the show, he always delivers. He's been great for the last year and a half, ever since they got him away from the god-awful King Sheamus gimmick. He's super reliable, works much harder than he really needs to, and is without a doubt the RIGHT man to be carrying Smackdown right now. Really, who else is there? Rey, Jericho, Orton, Barrett, Mark Henry and Del Rio are either suspended or injured. Miz is gone filming a movie, Cody's not ready, Christian just came back and is the IC Champ (wouldn't get the title anyways with the way Vince feels about him), and Ziggler is coming off a 1-week push when he was jobbing to everyone and their dog a week ago.

Seriously, give me one guy that's a better option right now? Don't say Bryan either. I'm as big of a fan of his as anyone and have been since I first saw him wrestle live in 2006, but after what happened in their 3 month feud (which can all be pinned on creative) there needed to be a break there between those two guys. They can always rebuild Bryan up and go back to it. You never know, Bryan could win the MITB again next month and he goes after Sheamus again at Summerslam.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Exactly! The Sheamus bashing to me really just comes off as people bitching just to bitch. As I said during the show, he always delivers. He's super reliable, works much harder than he really needs to, and is without a doubt the RIGHT man to be carrying Smackdown right now. Really, who else is there? Rey, Jericho, Orton, Barrett, Mark Henry and Del Rio are either suspended or injured. Miz gone filming a movie, Cody's not ready, Christian just came back and is the IC Champ (wouldn't get the title anyways with the way Vince feels about him), and Ziggler is coming off a 1-week push when he was jobbing to everyone and their dog a week ago.

Seriously, give me one guy that's a better option right now? Don't say Bryan either. I'm as big of a fan of his as anyone and have been since I first saw him wrestle live in 2006, but after what happened in their 3 month feud (which can all be pinned on creative) there needed to be a break there between those two guys. They can always rebuild Bryan up and go back to it. You never know, Bryan could win the MITB again next month and he goes after Sheamus again at Summerslam.
How is Cody not ready? He hasn't even been given a chance like Sheamus has been forcefed chances. Cody's been in the WWE for longer than Sheamus and has had more interesting feuds. I can't think of one interesting Sheamus feud. Cody had a great feud with Orton AND Rey.

Exactly! The Sheamus bashing to me really just comes off as people bitching just to bitch. As I said during the show, he always delivers. He's been great for the last year and a half, ever since they got him away from the god-awful King Sheamus gimmick. He's super reliable, works much harder than he really needs to, and is without a doubt the RIGHT man to be carrying Smackdown right now. Really, who else is there? Rey, Jericho, Orton, Barrett, Mark Henry and Del Rio are either suspended or injured. Miz is gone filming a movie, Cody's not ready, Christian just came back and is the IC Champ (wouldn't get the title anyways with the way Vince feels about him), and Ziggler is coming off a 1-week push when he was jobbing to everyone and their dog a week ago.

The only reason he is pushed is
a) He's big
b) He's hhh's workout buddy.

He's Batista in 2012, but atleast Batista legitimately got over before he won the title. Unlike Shaemus, who has gotten one of the biggest pushes in the last 3 years yet a fucking midcarder who has been jobbing for most of the year got a better reaction tonight.

rvd2kewl

How is Cody not ready? He hasn't even been given a chance like Sheamus has been forcefed chances. Cody's been in the WWE for longer than Sheamus and has had more interesting feuds. I can't think of one interesting Sheamus feud. Cody had a great feud with Orton AND Rey.

Cody's a very good worker, but could you honestly see him as the World Heavyweight Champion with the way he's been booked? He would need to be booked strongly for at least a few months and probably two really good semi-main event programs before anyone could really look at him as a Top-Card guy.

Even Ziggler, as much as I love his work, was REALLY forced in the position tonight. Most of us here know he's good enough now to be a top guy but as I said, he's been jobbing to everyone and been a comedy act for quite some time recently. Did a Fatal 4-Way victory over Great Khali, Swagger, and Christian 6 days ago really change anything? Especially when he's going up against Sheamus, who's been rolling full speed ahead for at least 6 months now? The answer to that is no.

I want to see the guy get his big break, but these guys need momentum behind them before they win the WHC.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cody's a very good worker, but could you honestly see him as the World Heavyweight Champion with the way he's been booked? He would need to be booked strongly for at least a few months and probably two really good semi-main event programs before anyone could really look at him as a Top-Card guy.
You seem to forget when Sheamus was losing nonstop about a year ago after he got pedigreed by Triple H and they were able to turn that around quickly. They could do the same with Cody. And that's just further proving my point about Cody that the booking is terrible.
172540_ouvc7p.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGR2D4SSYHY

rvd2kewl

The only reason he is pushed is
a) He's big
b) He's hhh's workout buddy.

He's Batista in 2012, but atleast Batista legitimately got over before he won the title. Unlike Shaemus, who has gotten one of the biggest pushes in the last 3 years yet a fucking midcarder who has been jobbing for most of the year got a better reaction tonight.

Get out of here with that. If you really believe that then you just made my point that you're only seeing what you want to see and you bury a good worker because he's looked at as a company man.

Sheamus has been kicking ass ever since he ditched the King Sheamus gimmick. The guy has been one of the better workers in the company for the last 18 months and is one of the best prospects they've turned out in the last decade.

Again, are you guys serious? You're going to throw 2009 dirtsheet bullshit out there to backup your argument and hate on Sheamus because he's Triple H's workout buddy? Come on now. That may have been the reason for his original push but if you haven't enjoyed his work since the feud he had with John Morrison in late 2010 then clearly you just wanna hate on the guy.

You seem to forget when Sheamus was losing nonstop about a year ago after he got pedigreed by Triple H. And that's just further proving my point about Cody that the booking is terrible.

A YEAR AGO!

Read the post. He's been rolling for at least 6 months now and killing everyone, while having good-great matches at the same time. Same thing Cody and Ziggler need right now.

Again, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THOSE GUYS. The problem there is with the booking, not the guys. They need the same momentum Sheamus got in January before anyone can even begin to take them seriously as World Heavyweight Champion material. One step in the right direction would be one of them winning the MITB match next month.

Top Bottom