• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah it's strange they haven't done that yet. They don't skip weeks right? There's always 52 eps a year.

Maybe we'll get it when Vince McMahon dies and his idiotic daughter and DOOFUS son-in-law take over.

Switch the
SCM
with the
tombstone
and that's a great top 5 finisher list.

Oh hell no. The
Tombstone
was never kicked out of for most of his career.
Now if you said that
SCM----
should have been in the place of
the Pedigree
then yes you would be absolutely correct, but then
the Pedigree
would still be criminally high.

Soulplaya do you seek out random threads in the OT that mention wrestling to post Kane in?

I smell alittle

salty.jpg
iness

<---As I come from the backstage and interfering...lol

tm24

If anyone wants to read up on the new Mistico thing, luchaworld has some great thoughts about it

http://www.luchaworld.com/?p=15656

Also, if you thought Cena going to any smart city was rough, the Arena Mexico crowd will be rougher and threw stuff in the ring when this guy comes out. I cant wait

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Why isn't there a Vince McMahon/WWF biopic? I'll take anything, a tv show, a comic book. Change the names if you have to.
You know what I want? A Vince/WWF biopic where everyone is played by a different fruit or animal. After Kane banana, we can have Vince McClam, Big Shoe, and The Rock (played by an actual rock).

You know what I want? A Vince/WWF biopic where everyone is played by a different fruit or animal. After Kane banana, we can have Vince McClam, Big Shoe, and The Rock (played by an actual rock).

I just want some type of narrative work that goes behind the curtain and shows how wrestling actually works. I don't care if it's a drama or comedy. Does something like this exist aside from shoot interviews and autobiographies?

Aiii

So not worth it
Raw had its second straight strong rating on 6/18, doing a 3.40 rating and 4.97 million viewers, the best rating the show has done since the day after WrestleMania. The show opened strong so there was interest coming off the PPV regarding the firing stipulation. But it also had a big peak for the HHH/Paul Heyman segment, and the final segment with the “final appearance” of John Laurinaitis. The show placed third for the night on cable.

The show did a 3.1 among teenage boys, the highest in a long time (up 15%), 3.0 among Males 18-49 (up 11%), 1.3 among teenage girls (up 44%) and 1.2 among women 18-49 (down 8%). The viewership was 68.9% men.

In the segment-by-segment, Sheamus & C.M. Punk vs. Daniel Bryan & Kane lost 241,000 viewers. Jack Swagger vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 22,000 viewers. The Paul Heyman/HHH in-ring gained 559,000 viewers and a show high 3.74 quarter. Alberto Del Rio vs. Santino Marella lost 711,000 viewers. The segment with Cyndi Lauper, Wendi Richter, Heath Slater and Roddy Piper lost 12,000 viewers. I expected that segment to do well, a little because of Piper (not because of Lauper because it’s been a long time since she’s been a big deal) and a little because of the train wreck philosophy of ratings. John Cena vs. David Otunga & John Laurinaitis in the overrun segment gained 573,000 viewers to a 3.74 quarter. As far as main event growth, for Teenage boys it was up from 3.3 to 3.5, Men 18-49 from 2.9 to 3.5, Teenage girls from 1.2 to 1.7 and 18-49 women from 1.3 to 1.5.

So here's what I've noticed over the past year of seeing this play by play shit. There's a large number of viewers, about 700k-800k that only check in for John Cena. They tune in at the beginning of the show, the top of the first hour and then the end and overrun. Why? Because those three times are the only times you'll see John Cena on the show (bar some 1 minute backstage segments). Other times, they simply don't watch or care about the product. They don't buy the merc, probably won't visit a WWE show (maybe once in their lives, then notice it's not 3 hours of John Cena and not return).

WWE knows this too, it's why their main events are always John Cena. But will this mean they care about Punk/Bryan/AJ and Kane losing only 240.000 of those 700-800k people? Probably not. Del Rio pretty much lost the whole bunch of them, so it probably means something for him. Overall, the storyline helped Raw increase in ratings, as there's now more people tuning in then there were 3/4 weeks ago. In fact, the ratings these past two weeks have been above average, so that's probably good news for these four.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just want some type of narrative work that goes behind the curtain and shows how wrestling actually works. I don't care if it's a drama or comedy. Does something like this exist aside from shoot interviews and autobiographies?
Beyond the Mat is the closest thing that I've seen. There was also that ESPN segment that was OK.

You know what? The closest thing you'll get is Vince & Stephanie McMahon's testimony before a Congressional committee after the Benoit stuff. There's a transcript of it on Drudge, I believe. They go very in depth (more so than anything I've ever seen) on how the company works.

bangai-o

Banned
So here's what I've noticed over the past year of seeing this play by play shit. There's a large number of viewers, about 700k-800k that only check in for John Cena. They tune in at the beginning of the show, the top of the first hour and then the end and overrun. Why? Because those three times are the only times you'll see John Cena on the show (bar some 1 minute backstage segments). Other times, they simply don't watch or care about the product. They don't buy the merc, probably won't visit a WWE show (maybe once in their lives, then notice it's not 3 hours of John Cena and not return).

WWE knows this too, it's why their main events are always John Cena. But will this mean they care about Punk/Bryan/AJ and Kane losing only 240.000 of those 700-800k people? Probably not. Del Rio pretty much lost the whole bunch of them, so it probably means something for him. Overall, the storyline helped Raw increase in ratings, as there's now more people tuning in then there were 3/4 weeks ago. In fact, the ratings these past two weeks have been above average, so that's probably good news for these four.
no sure about that theory. the only wrestling shirts i ever see in public are Cena. so they do buy the merch. Wally World probably sells more dvds if Cena is on the cover.
it just doesnt seem like the market is able to grow. to me its like Cena is acting as the gateway to gain new audience. but for some reason they dont want to stick around for the rest of the show.
also
i thought everybody in the thread that monday was saying stuff like "guess ill watch Raw since there is not basketball or hockey..." or whatver the heck they watch. there was nothing on tv so ratings for Raw spiked.

i dont know. this s the first time i ever tried to decipher the raw ratings.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't think these 700-800k of casual viewers buy the merc. That doesn't mean there are no Cena-fans that watch the entire show that DO buy loads of merchandise. Probably more then anyone.

But the viewers that drop in and out are not amongst them I'd reckon.

just over 1 week left to reach 20,000 posts.

I think we might just scrape by. At least I think we will reach the 18,000 mark.

If something big happens next week then we should reach it.

#powerofjune #20,000posts

Khrno

Actually, during Bryan's main event run, both Smackdown and Raw have increased in ratings.

Coincidence?

The segments were he has been in (and AJ, Punk, Kane) might not be gaining viewers, but the decrease seems to be less everytime. People are starting slowly to get into these guys.

Well this thread sure went places after I left, except Beef being Beef with his Raw Quality trolling. To lighten the mood let me regale you all with the random as hell dream I had last night that is tangibly wrestling related.

Okay so i'm at a small train station, in fact it's my local one and somehow it now has three platforms in a dead end formation, i'm on one with D Bryne, CM Punk is on another and Evan Bourne and RYBACK were on the remaining platform.
Now here's where things get really weird, Evan Bourne being the idiot he is decides to jump down on the third rail because he's a daredevil high flying nutjob, instead of getting bolted to the next century nothing happens, as me and my fellow Vegan are perplexed by this chain of events Bourne somehow unscrews a piece of the rail and lobs it up on the platform.
And this is when things that a shocking twist, for reasons unknown Ryback has a Sword resting next to him (in fact it was the Monado from Xenoblade just to make the scene look even more mismatched), the chunk of rail hits is charging it up with electricity, science has no place in here it seems.
So now with a charged up sword Ryback does the logical thing and picks it up, swiftly dashes across the track to Punk's platform and cleanly slices him in half with No More Heroes style blood rain taking place.
Now me and Bryan are bricking ourselves and rightfully so, Ryback basically teleports over and jobs us out with brutal murderous sword slices.

And yeah that was the dream, i'm challenging Beef's title of weirdest wrestling related dream, not sure it tops his though, being chased by Nash and Hall in a car for stealing their spot. The lesson here is you job to Ryback even in your dreams.

Khrno

Well this thread sure went places after I left, except Beef being Beef with his Raw Quality trolling. To lighten the mood let me regale you all with the random as hell dream I had last night that is tangibly wrestling related.

Okay so i'm at a small train station, in fact it's my local one and somehow it now has three platforms in a dead end formation, i'm on one with D Bryne, CM Punk is on another and Evan Bourne and RYBACK were on the remaining platform.
Now here's where things get really weird, Evan Bourne being the idiot he is decides to jump down on the third rail because he's a daredevil high flying nutjob, instead of getting bolted to the next century nothing happens, as me and my fellow Vegan are perplexed by this chain of events Bourne somehow unscrews a piece of the rail and lobs it up on the platform.
And this is when things that a shocking twist, for reasons unknown Ryback has a Sword resting next to him (in fact it was the Monado from Xenoblade just to make the scene look even more mismatched), the chunk of rail hits is charging it up with electricity, science has no place in here it seems.
So now with a charged up sword Ryback does the logical thing and picks it up, swiftly dashes across the track to Punk's platform and cleanly slices him in half with No More Heroes style blood rain taking place.
Now me and Bryan are bricking ourselves and rightfully so, Ryback basically teleports over and jobs us out with brutal murderous sword slices.

And yeah that was the dream, i'm challenging Beef's title of weirdest wrestling related dream, not sure it tops his though, being chased by Nash and Hall in a car for stealing their spot. The lesson here is you job to Ryback even in your dreams.

Ez9e0.gif

Top Bottom