• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Bowser

Chiming in after a few pages of junk to say..

SHUT UP

6iv9t.gif

Trailer for ROH - Best in the World 2012: Hostage Crisis, live worldwide via iPPV this Sunday;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBj120OUoKY

Pretty good hype video - anyone thinking of buying? Anyone think ROH can actually pull it off without any disastrous technical failures? Anyone thinking of going to Starbucks instead?

I'll be watching, but only because I didn't ask for a refund on Border Wars, so ROH are giving away Best in the World for free.

I'll be watching it the next morning as I think we're also getting it for free.

Instead I'll be attending PWA: Night of Champions X
It's our local indy, booked by (and using talent trained by) Lance Storm. The show will be higlighted by:
Harry (DH) Smith defending the PWA Heavyweight title in a triple threat match
As well as Chavo Guerrero vs Lance Storm in a grudge match

I haven't gone to any PWA shows recently as a lot of their best talent have left for other indies and a few have moved on to the big leagues, but this looks like a pretty good card.

There's a lot I miss about how Punk used to be. A lot.

Sort of a strange trade off, but there's plenty I don't miss about old Punk.

RBH

Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Title will likely take place at the July 15th Money in the Bank pay-per-view. Like last year, there will be two Money in the Bank ladder matches on the card. Money in the Bank is a bit of a throw-away pay-per-view as they're gearing more for SummerSlam in August with Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar headlining.

Up to September 2000 on my wrestling rewatch. The obvious things to comment on would be how good WWF is at this time, but what surprises me the most is how well they managed to build up and introduce various wrestlers.

They way they rotate several wrestlers around HHH's title reign is fantastic. Kurt Angle's slow burn push flirting with Stephanie McMahon is great. Eddie Guererro gets pulled into it too. Chris Benoit teams up with Shane McMahon. The Rock stays in the background and allows others to have TV time. Its like the complete opposite of today.

Sokantish

I don't like current Company Man Punk, heel SES champion would have been so much better than this Cena crap we get now.

http://i.imgur.com/kovJ6.gif[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQdLSwyN21Q&feature=player_embedded"]These were the days where SES Punk shined the most.[/URL]

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0vdh528q71r53jhqo1_250.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm kinda disappointed I missed all that stuff, I stopped watching wrestling while it was still in the attitude era and then started watching it again last year I think just because of these threads

Khrno

I'm kinda disappointed I missed all that stuff, I stopped watching wrestling while it was still in the attitude era and then started watching it again last year I think just because of these threads

Punk best years have been 2009 to 2011, since he started his SES schtick until his summer of Punk, really worth to rewatch, even tho he just got jobbed on most feuds, but he came back stronger everytime. Really Punk was the highlight of WWE back then, with Edge and Orton face turns happening during that time and Jericho leaving, everything was just shit.

I don't like current Company Man Punk, heel SES champion would have been so much better than this Cena crap we get now.

kovJ6.gif

Undoubtedly.

But I don't miss watching Punk jobbing to the stars and getting squashed every single Raw/PPV just to make people like Orton, Cena, and Mysterio look slightly better. I don't miss Punk being used as a springboard for no talent meatheads like Mcgillibuddy and Batistwo.

I'm happy that Punk has been wrestling guys like Jericho, Bryan, and Ziggler all year as they all can go at the same level. I'm happy that the two best wrestlers in the company have been in world title matches in every PPV this year (this statement still works even if you don't consider Punk one of the two best), rather than also-rans like Miz, Truth, and Orton.

I thought I wouldn't miss Punk only getting mic time when they were out of ideas, but Punk's character only seems to work when he's on the chase or at least has motivations. I definitely wish we didn't have to trade one of the best heel characters ever to get one of the most bland faces, but I'm also happy to see my favourite wrestler of the past half-decade as a huge success.
I'm also happy to see the WWE Champion wearing an Against Me shirt on national television, I don't know if it's more effective, but it is a far more honest message than all the Rise Above Hate shirts you can sell.

Anyway, this will largely be ignored because CM Sucks but I feel there should be some place for honest appraisal rather than just bland hyperbole.

There should be just one, 2 briefcases is stupid.

So who's gonna win them this time? Ziggler and Sin Cara?

Heath Slater and Ultramantis Black

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But I don't miss watching Punk jobbing to the stars and getting squashed every single Raw/PPV just to make people like Orton, Cena, and Mysterio look slightly better. I don't miss Punk being used as a springboard for no talent meatheads like Mcgillibuddy and Batistwo.

I'm happy that Punk has been wrestling guys like Jericho, Bryan, and Ziggler all year as they all can go at the same level. I'm happy that the two best wrestlers in the company have been in world title matches in every PPV this year (this statement still works even if you don't consider Punk one of the two best), rather than also-rans like Miz, Truth, and Orton.

I thought I wouldn't miss Punk only getting mic time when they were out of ideas, but Punk's character only seems to work when he's on the chase or at least has motivations. I definitely wish we didn't have to trade one of the best heel characters ever to get one of the most bland faces, but I'm also happy to see my favourite wrestler of the past half-decade as a huge success.
I'm also happy to see the WWE Champion wearing an Against Me shirt on national television, I don't know if it's more effective, but it is a far more honest message than all the Rise Above Hate shirts you can sell.

I understand where you're coming from and what's weird is that the only problem I had with his previous storylines were the results - which should NOT matter. But they did to me. Seeing him and Gallows and Mercury job to Big Show on a PPV was painful. Painful. But that was when the character was wonderful.

Best WWE Punk is the summer feud with Jeff Hardy. Perfect angle, perfect wrestlers to use, perfect end.

Khrno

Undoubtedly.

Anyway, this will largely be ignored because CM Sucks but I feel there should be some place for honest appraisal rather than just bland hyperbole.

Definitely, but this is a big problem with character development that WWE creative (and Vince) have right now. There are no established, long-standing, threatening heels anymore. The last one was probably Edge, although there's still Jericho, but he was gone and he won't be around for much longer really.

They had a big opportunity with Punk but they blew the load as they did with Orton, just because some people are behind them doesn't mean they have to change their characters.
Bryan will most likely be turned into a face within a year if he keeps selling like he has done for the past months.

Ryback is being build as a monster heel, but fuck, I have yet to see him in a match with someone from the roster, and even if he started beating the whole roster the dude sucks in the ring, and for what I remember of Skip Sheffield, he wasn't that good in the mic.

So going back to Punk, unless he loses the belt and becomes the one doing the chase, his character will still be weak, and it will effect his overall performance, because as soon as he is done with Bryan, what's next? Who is it there to have great matches with?

If he keeps going this way, he'll just bury whoever is going after his belt with shitty lame Cena jokes, and then they'll have a mediocre performance in the ring because not everyone can wrestle like Jericho, Bryan and Ziggler.

So all those potential contenders for Punk's title, will suffer just as much as they do with Cena, lackluster mic exchanges will lead to lackluster matches and will hurt mostly his opponents unless they are at his level.

Best WWE Punk is the summer feud with Jeff Hardy. Perfect angle, perfect wrestlers to use, perfect end.

Had Hardy not been a crack head, I don't think the outcome would have been the same since he would have stayed. So I actually prefer his feud with Rey Mysterio, since it lead to the most awesome Punk, even if it was just for a few days.

tumblr_lqz0jbS7Y21r25p0to1_400.jpg

Dragon Gate USA again hamstrung by the Japanese office - Masato Yoshino & Ricochet have been stripped of the Open the Unified Gate tag titles because DGUSA were informed that Yoshino would not be making the trip over for any more DGUSA events in 2012. This comes after CIMA & Ricochet were forced to drop the titles because of an injury to CIMA, and though they were never pinned for the belts he & Ricochet are now in separate competing stables. As a result, Dragon Gate USA will reboot the tag team division and new champions will be crowned on July 29th, live worldwide via iPPV from Chicago.

Also, Akira Tozawa will get a shot at the Open the Freedom Gate title live worldwide via iPPV from Taylor, MI, either against Johnny Gargano or Chuck Taylor, depending on the outcome of their title match on the June 29th EVOLVE 15 iPPV.

Finally, two more EVOLVE matches signed; Cheech vs John Silver at EVOLVE 15 on June 29th, and Mike Cruz & Cheech vs. John Silver & Alex Reynolds at EVOLVE 16 on June 30th.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No it's nothing personal. Probably the jab at Daniel Bryan was the issue, because he's been one of the better guys for ratings as far as Smackdown. If he's in that group that loses ratings, it's more likely that the actual segment is really not settling in with the crowd or the audience at home. I personally think the whole AJ-Kane-Punk-Bryan angle is terrible, and would hopefully be done with soon. Move Bryan on to much better things, and Punk needs a WWE title feud fast. His reign is as dull as his face character.
What jab at Bryan? I love Bryan. If I keep watching this show after Kane retires, it'll be because of Bryan & AJ. My concerns about ratings are just me being honest. Although, it's not his job to draw ratings, it's Punk's. He's supposed to be the big face champion. I mean, when he and Bryan went at it during an overrun, and it actually managed to lose viewers (an overrun!), then you have to be concerned (with Punk, not Bryan).

I don't see what Bryan can move onto that's better. I think your problem with this feud has more to do with some illogical hatred of Kane than anything else. The only bigger thing that he can move onto is Cena, and he's not coming out on top in that feud, lol. This has been the most interesting storyline of the year (not saying much, I know). Yeah, it's spinning its wheels, but it's given us some fantastic matches (and Kane has been a positive addition to that, not a negative). And it's been a bit unpredictable. At this point, I really don't see what Bryan can move onto that's better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had Hardy not been a crack head, I don't think the outcome would have been the same since he would have stayed. So I actually prefer his feud with Rey Mysterio, since it lead to the most awesome Punk, even if it was just for a few days.

Yeah. The "Vincefluence" to abuse people on their way out really helped with that angle. The end was just the sweetest justification in the world. Final bow? Nope, fuck you, we layin' you out! And then the week after...

G-Fex

You know when I finally quit WWE back in 2000 something when WWE was gutting, jobbing and burying WCW and ECW.

Now that I see how horrible and dull everything is now, I now miss those years.

I understand where you're coming from and what's weird is that the only problem I had with his previous storylines were the results - which should NOT matter. But they did to me. Seeing him and Gallows and Mercury job to Big Show on a PPV was painful. Painful. But that was when the character was wonderful.

That was truly a Star-making feud. They both elevated each other a ton and if Hardy didn't decide to fuck up his career then his return feud against Punk would have been a gigantic deal.

Definitely, but this is a big problem with character development that WWE creative (and Vince) have right now. There are no established, long-standing, threatening heels anymore. The last one was probably Edge, although there's still Jericho, but he was gone and he won't be around for much longer really.

They had a big opportunity with Punk but they blew the load as they did with Orton, just because some people are behind them doesn't mean they have to change their characters.
Bryan will most likely be turned into a face within a year if he keeps selling like he has done for the past months.

Ryback is being build as a monster heel, but fuck, I have yet to see him in a match with someone from the roster, and even if he started beating the whole roster the dude sucks in the ring, and for what I remember of Skip Sheffield, he wasn't that good in the mic.

So going back to Punk, unless he loses the belt and becomes the one doing the chase, his character will still be weak, and it will effect his overall performance, because as soon as he is done with Bryan, what's next? Who is it there to have great matches with?

If he keeps going this way, he'll just bury whoever is going after his belt with shitty lame Cena jokes, and then they'll have a mediocre performance in the ring because not everyone can wrestle like Jericho, Bryan and Ziggler.

So all those potential contenders for Punk's title, will suffer just as much as they do with Cena, lackluster mic exchanges will lead to lackluster matches and will hurt mostly his opponents unless they are at his level.

I think the biggest issue I have with the Cena issue is that very few people walk away from a Cena feud looking good. He'll bury you and your entire stable then walk away happy. Punk hasn't had a win yet against Bryan that couldn't have just as easily gone the other way (and lost to him twice leading into Mania).

Not sure who his next opponent will be, but I stick by the thought that a Cena/Punk face/face is the biggest money match they have on the table right now. I'll also give Barrett the go ahead for a title feud with anyone on his return.

D. Brine's next feud is with AJ. Maybe they don't ever wrestle each other but she should antagonize him for a while more.

I loved how much he looked like Delirious and the fact that he was apparently coating the inside of the mask with Nair.

Khrno

I've never cared about the overall quality of the product regardless of the the company. If there's someone I want to see, then I'll watch, it is that simple. It's not like I have to sit through 2 hours of crap, I'll just go straight to my 20 minutes of enjoyment.

Regarding the AJ pic: Judging be the lipstick markings she's been kissing all the areas around Kane's face.
Not aligned with Kane confirmed!

Khrno

Not sure who his next opponent will be, but I stick by the thought that a Cena/Punk face/face is the biggest money match they have on the table right now. I'll also give Barrett the go ahead for a title feud with anyone on his return.

If Big Show wouldn't have fucked up, then Wade might have gone the Rumble and go against Bryan since they had history together, prior to Bryan cashing his briefcase, and well, NXT.

A Bryan-Barret feud for the title, whatever the standing (face/heel) is for them, will be great. Wish he was ready in time for MitB and won a briefcase.

krae_man

Ziggler and Rhodes.

Problem is that means Dolph will get the Raw title shot. He doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting anywhere near Raw's main event till after Wrestlemania. Hell the WWE title doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting near Raw's main event until after Wrestlemania.

RBH

Early pay-per-view buyrate data is in for TNA Slammiversary 2012 and this year’s show appears to have been a success. In what has to be seen as a strong sign of momentum for TNA, Slammiversary did around 14,000-15,000 buys, early double last year’s show (estimated 7,500 buys) and way up from the average TNA PPV, which usually sells around 7,000-10,000 buys.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, lol!

Please, WWE, bring back Sid just once! He should be in the HoF, damn it!

Apparently Sid is still in fantastic shape - I can't remember who it was, but I heard an interview with a wrestler who said he still visits Sid from time to time and he'd come over and he just finished running a stadium. Why? Because he just enjoys it. No real need. It's just what he does.

Top Bottom