• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
329623906be2iw.jpg

MVP says no to PG era.

Okay so i've just watched Raw and I need clarification, is there only one MITB ladder match this year?! and are they using it as a tool to give Cena another accolade and also shove him back into the title scene?
And why has Kane been bum rushed out of the WWE title storyline with no fanfare and plopped into the MITB? why does he not give as shit about this turn of events? why was he saving AJ and getting distracted by her if he gives no fucks?
WHERE WAS JUNE?! THE POWER?!

I actually didn't mind Raw but my word have they buggered up the storylines

Ithil

Okay so i've just watched Raw and I need clarification, is there only one MITB ladder match this year?! and are they using it as a tool to give Cena another accolade and also shove him back into the title scene?
And why has Kane been bum rushed out of the WWE title storyline with no fanfare and plopped into the MITB? why does he not give as shit about this turn of events? why was he saving AJ and getting distracted by her if he gives no fucks?
WHERE WAS JUNE?! THE POWER?!

I actually didn't mind Raw but my word have they buggered up the storylines

There's two MITB matches as usual, but the RAW one is now just four people, which is Cena and three people who only wrestle to put over others now.

Combine with that the knowledge that they're planning Cena/ Punk at Summerslam (which means Bryan has zero chance of winning against Punk) and they've screwed up to no brainers already.

The SD MITB is going ahead as normal, I guess. Apparently they only plan to use MITB to elevate one person this year, because John Cena.

Sigh, if the plan was just to feed Bryan as champ to Cena why couldn't he have at least won it at one of the earlier PPVs and held it for a few weeks at least?

Instead Vince gets to jerk off to the fact that hes only gonna have it for a night (if that).

MITB can often be interesting but this year it'll just be shit with lolCenawins and lolSheamuswins.

Feel sorry for whoever wins the Smackdown one as they're gonna be the first guy to lose a MITB cash in. At least it can't be Bryan I guess. *rolleyes*

Striker

Didn't watch Raw, and looks like I didn't miss much, per usual. Also that AJ "ass" shot, lol. Low expectations of current WWE bikinis.

Note while Sid's intro hit: Cole and King need to shut the fuck up. And stop laughing. FFS.

That really is one of the best power bombs I've seen.

And going just by facial expressions, Sid looked like he would legit kill you.
That's what I liked, and that's why he was often in the main events, or feuding with top guys. He fit his name to a tee. Now, you look at somebody like Miz or Randy Orton. I'm thinking, who the fuck are these guys, and why in the hell should I be terrified of them? Especially Miz. When he makes those angry faces, really is embarrassing. It's like Cena when he had that look on his face trying to look pissed off - there's a gif of it somewhere. Not that it is surprising by any means, but most of today's stars are simply bad actors.

Linkified

Didn't watch Raw, and looks like I didn't miss much, per usual. Also that AJ "ass" shot, lol. Low expectations of current WWE bikinis.

Note while Sid's intro hit: Cole and King need to shut the fuck up. And stop laughing. FFS.

That's what I liked, and that's why he was often in the main events, or feuding with top guys. He fit his name to a tee. Now, you look at somebody like Miz or Randy Orton. I'm thinking, who the fuck are these guys, and why in the hell should I be terrified of them? Especially Miz. When he makes those angry faces, really is embarrassing. It's like Cena when he had that look on his face trying to look pissed off - there's a gif of it somewhere. Not that it is surprising by any means, but most of today's stars are simply bad actors.

Well we now know Slaters role its the Kenny role.

There's two MITB matches as usual, but the RAW one is now just four people, which is Cena and three people who only wrestle to put over others now.

Combine with that the knowledge that they're planning Cena/ Punk at Summerslam (which means Bryan has zero chance of winning against Punk) and they've screwed up to no brainers already.

The SD MITB is going ahead as normal, I guess. Apparently they only plan to use MITB to elevate one person this year, because John Cena.

Well at least the situation isn't as bad as I thought, but it's still pretty bad. Cody Rhodes for the second case then.
The Raw MITB needs more people, I know Rey has been discussed but what about Orton? is he back in time for it?

And another point, I see a lot of whining about "oh no Kane and Big Show in ladder matches boo hoo", does everyone have a selective memory or just automatically hate on big men in ladder matches?
Kane has been a solid addition to all his MITB ladder matches, usually as the power man, he and Benoit play one of the main in ring stories of the original match, the TLC match with one man tag team Kane and then there's the one MITB which Kane won after he systematically destroyed everyone to brute force his way to victory. The same match had Big Show in with his special giant ladder and it was great fun to watch, Show threw people around like rag dolls and his team up with Jericho against DX in a TLC match was good fun as well.
Basically they should get more credit for their work in ladder matches, just because they aren't leaping off the top of a ladder through a stack of tables doesn't mean they have no place.

Striker

Slater is perfect for what he is doing. Good worker, and can talk pretty well on the mic. If they don't use him for this Legend Jobber role, he should be in a tag team with somebody. He's no worse than the awful that is Titus O'Neil.

Ithil

Well at least the situation isn't as bad as I thought, but it's still pretty bad. Cody Rhodes for the second case then.
The Raw MITB needs more people, I know Rey has been discussed but what about Orton? is he back in time for it?

And another point, I see a lot of whining about "oh no Kane and Big Show in ladder matches boo hoo", does everyone have a selective memory or just automatically hate on big men in ladder matches?
Kane has been a solid addition to all his MITB ladder matches, usually as the power man, he and Benoit play one of the main in ring stories of the original match, the TLC match with one man tag team Kane and then there's the one MITB which Kane won after he systematically destroyed everyone to brute force his way to victory. The same match had Big Show in with his special giant ladder and it was great fun to watch, Show threw people around like rag dolls and his team up with Jericho against DX in a TLC match was good fun as well.
Basically they should get more credit for their work in ladder matches, just because they aren't leaping off the top of a ladder through a stack of tables doesn't mean they have no place.

For me it's nothing to do with their big man status, it's that there's only four people in the match, and Kane/Big Show have zero chance of winning. Just look at last year's Smackdown MITB match, there's were four or five guys that could have won.

There's no drama when they've blatantly telegraphed Cena winning.

What's more, Jericho will be the only guy taking big bumps, apart from maybe Kane. Cena will never take huge bumps because there would be a risk of injury to their golden boy. So Cena will get knocked to the floor a lot, and Jericho will get sent flying off the ladder by Kane/Shoe over and over. That makes for a really god awful match, and when MITB matches are usually one of the most fun matches of the years, that grates.

For me it's nothing to do with their big man status, it's that there's only four people in the match, and Kane/Big Show have zero chance of winning. Just look at last year's Smackdown MITB match, there's were four or five guys that could have won.

There's no drama when they've blatantly telegraphed Cena winning.

Oh well that's a different matter entirely, in that case you can throw Jericho in there with Show and Kane. I still expect more additions to the match, a 6 man total at least.

I just remembered Wade Barrett, he needs to hurry up and return to win the other MITB.

Ithil

Oh well that's a different matter entirely, in that case you can throw Jericho in there with Show and Kane. I still expect more additions to the match, a 6 man total at least.

I just remembered Wade Barrett, he needs to hurry up and return to win the other MITB.

Barrett, if he's healthy to return, really should win MITB and take the WHC from Sheamus at Summerslam. Sheamus' reign has been decently lengthy, and boring as hell, so it really is time for it to end.

If not Barrett, then Cody.

Maxine didn't even get f**king mentioned in the battle royal thing, she was out before even realised who it was.

I'm glad AJ is getting screen time, her music plays basically every other segment at this point. But I'm well and truly sick of go-nowhere story crazy but in love WITH SO MANY MEN AJ. Shes good at it but its stupid and she can just be good at a proper (lol) diva feud or being someones evil heel associate.

Unless you're bringing in Joker Sting to go with crazy her, if you're doing that then......

ITS SHOW TIME FOLKS

Turned off RAW after they ruined MITB.

Seriously its not just Cena but the entire RAW MITB match is full of 10+ year vets who could get a title shot any PPV with just one promo.

Also no one in the match is a high flyer. Another kind of important part of ladder matches. I know they want to keep Cena safe but having a 4 man ladder match and 2 of the people in it are Kane and the big show.... WAT?

So I wonder if this match will main event the PPV or will Punk vs Bryan?

Seems like it could actually go ether way for once. They might want to make the title look somewhat important again before giving it back to John.

UberTag

This year's MITB pay-per-view build is such garbage compared to last year.
I'm not even sure how they can salvage things at this point.
But then the WWE wants an audience consisting of nothing but primarily 9 year olds so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I can't even think of many kids shows that trend to an audience demographic that low.
Spongebob Squarepants draws an audience with an average age higher than 9.
So does My Little Pony.

I suppose the real threat is Dora the Explorer. Anyone know how Dora's recent storylines are and whether the WWE creative staff should be aggressively stealing any of them?

Ithil

Maxine didn't even get f**king mentioned in the battle royal thing, she was out before even realised who it was.

I'm glad AJ is getting screen time, her music plays basically every other segment at this point. But I'm well and truly sick of go-nowhere story crazy but in love WITH SO MANY MEN AJ. Shes good at it but its stupid and she can just be good at a proper (lol) diva feud or being someones evil heel associate.

Unless you're bringing in Joker Sting to go with crazy her, if you're doing that then......

ITS SHOW TIME FOLKS

Well this whole crazy chick thing has gotten her over with the crowd, but she really does need to land somewhere now. If she goes into the Divas division and that's that, well, that's a black hole at the moment. Her best bet is to stick with one of the men for good, if she's to remain in main event level exposure.

Although, one problem is that she's pretty much the only Diva in years to get over like this. If they put her with Bryan she'll have to turn heel. With all this positive crowd reaction, I wonder if they're now feeling like she should stay face?

I don't think that's a good path, but I certainly think differently to them.

Well this whole crazy chick thing has gotten her over with the crowd, but she really does need to land somewhere now. If she goes into the Divas division and that's that, well, that's a black hole at the moment. Her best bet is to stick with one of the men for good, if she's to remain in main event level exposure.

Although, one problem is that she's pretty much the only Diva in years to get over like this. If they put her with Bryan she'll have to turn heel. With all this positive crowd reaction, I wonder if they're now feeling like she should stay face?

I don't think that's a good path, but I certainly think differently to them.

The only way this AJ thing could make sense is if there was a new talent working his way up the card into the main event picture who seemed to be getting pulled into the feud without a horse in the race until it's revealed that AJ's been working for him ever since Bryan dumped her. Fatal 4 way match for the WWE Title, AJ distracts all 3 guys somehow, new guy wins championship, new power couple emerges, long term booking reigns supreme.

I don't know, SOMETHING. If shes just thrown back to irrelevancy after all this, talk about a waste of time.

Ithil

The only way this AJ thing could make sense is if there was a new talent working his way up the card into the main event picture who seemed to be getting pulled into the feud without a horse in the race until it's revealed that AJ's been working for him ever since Bryan dumped her. Fatal 4 way match for the WWE Title, AJ distracts all 3 guys somehow, new guy wins championship, new power couple emerges, long term booking reigns supreme.

I don't know, SOMETHING. If shes just thrown back to irrelevancy after all this, talk about a waste of time.

dean%2Bambrose-jon%2Bmoxley-FCW-WWE-mick%2Bfoley-Twitter-thaoshow-com-dante%2Bross.jpg

Just as planned.

There you go. Instantly over, AJ stays relevant, Ambrose can handle himself on the mic, Bryan is dumbfounded, Punk is pissed, Kane throws tantrums, and the feud is fresh again.

Ithil

There you go. Instantly over, AJ stays relevant, Ambrose can handle himself on the mic, Bryan is dumbfounded, Punk is pissed, Kane throws tantrums, and the feud is fresh again.

Nonsense. Dean Ambrose is going to be a noodle cart salesman turned wrestler, who is mute. He will headline WWE Main Event.

As much of a mismatch as it would be, I kinda want to see AJ feud with Kharma eventually.

And as for Ambrose, part of me wants to believe that they have something brewing and are waiting for the perfect time for him to debut, but mostly I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Same goes for Seth Rollins, who seems to be stuck in developmental limbo.

DKehoe

And as for Ambrose, part of me wants to believe that they have something brewing and are waiting for the perfect time for him to debut, but mostly I think they just haven't figured out how to do it yet. Same goes for Seth Rollins, who seems to be stuck in developmental limbo.

Yeh, I think this is the case and I prefer it that way rather than he just debuts and has no direction. Ambrose has real potential so they should map out a plan to get him to the main event and only when they have that should they bring him in.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Outside of Sid, Raw was meh. I wish Sid had gotten a better pop but the people in the crowd who knew who he was gave him a good chant. No choke slam? The high release power bomb was perfect though.

Next week....THE BROOOOOOOOOODDDD! bah, who am I kidding. Even if it was just David Heath and Kevin Fertig I would still mark out though

Nonsense. Dean Ambrose is going to be a noodle cart salesman turned wrestler, who is mute. He will headline WWE Main Event.

His finisher will be called Instant Ramen, and his T-Shirt with be a picture of a noodle dish with the caption "Nobody's Eating MY Lunch!"

He'll feud with Yoshi Tatsu over noodle pride in stereotypical WWE fashion, and will occasionally be called up to feed Ryback....not with noodles, but with his life.

No matter if I'm booking for real or booking stuff like this, it's all still better than what they give us.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Outside of Sid, Raw was meh. I wish Sid had gotten a better pop but the people in the crowd who knew who he was gave him a good chant. No choke slam? The high release power bomb was perfect though.

Next week....THE BROOOOOOOOOODDDD! bah, who am I kidding. Even if it was just David Heath and Kevin Fertig I would still mark out though

As someone posted last night:

Jericho: What are you nine?
Cena: Most of our audience is around that age.

10 minutes later...

"Introducing a man who hasn't been on WWE Television in 15 years and is a 2 time.."

UberTag

You know full well there's no such long-term booking in place and that the WWE is simply spinning its wheels running the latest thing to catch on into the ground without any plan or direction.

I thought Raw was pretty good last night. :/

- AJ wins something in the Divas division, which might give her a Divas belt title against Layla at MitB, which she should win.

- Kane's out of the "love triangle". He served his purpose and was pretty good, but we're back to where we belong.

- With Cena not technically fighting anyone, but rather being in the MitB match, could we possibly get Punk vs. Bryan as the main event?

- With it being Punk vs. Bryan, COULD THE IRON MAN MATCH DREAM COME TRUE?

Dream Scenario: Bryan beats Punk for WWE after a 60 minute Iron Man Match that goes into OT. Bryan and AJ reunite as the heel champions, WWE and Diva, after AJ goes CrayJ on Layla and miraculously pulls out a win for the belt. D Bry respects AJ as his heel equal and they rule for all of one month before somehow it gets jobbed to Cena or whatever.

Maybe WWE tries a swerve where Big Show wins the MitB ladder match and tries to extract his revenge on D Bry for what he did last year?

Anyway, enough mental jerking, I liked what they did last night, though it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense story wise. At least they're doing things I like while fucking up stories rather than doing things I don't like while fucking up stories!

XenoRaven

I wish Dolph would have won that, I thought he did when he first grabbed it but then they said something about having to control it. What does that even mean?
I guess it's like a pass in football. Except contracts are obviously much harder to hold in your hand than a football.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seriously, I hold my iPad like that, that's how easy it is to hold a square object in that manner.

But all in all, I loved Raw. Okay, I'll admit I'm biased as fuck so I'm hardly objective. But the matches were great, Cena in the MitB is a nice change from his one-on-one matches, even though we will end up with another Cena superman case where he wins in an "upset" at the end.

But I loved the other matches. Vicki as GM was enjoyable. Sid got a crappy response, that was a bit of a shame, but other then that. Good Raw.

10/10 because even 1 second of AJ in a bikini is an instant perfect score. WWE, if you're reading this, more please!

Top Bottom