• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Ithil

I've been hurt too much to even joke believe.

At best I can hope Bryan at least gets the belt for any length of time just so he can say he is a former WWE Champion.

With the 1000th show looming and you know they'll be planning something big, I really wouldn't be surprised to see Bryan win at a 'throwaway' PPV then lose to Cena at the BIG RAW they've been hyping forever.

Its just all pretty obvious. Either way they go at this PPV the result all joking aside I believe will be lolCenawins.

Sadly one of my fav events of the year is just complete suck now as theres no doubt Cena will win his and whoever wins the Smackdown one will probably just lose to Sheamus's stupid kick. No excitement this year. :(

Ah well, I'll just hope for another fantastic Punk and Bryan match with hopefully a satisfying ending.

I admit this is part of my hope. Sure I'd love a lengthy awesome heel Bryan reign, but at the very least I'd love to be able to say "WWE Champion Bryan Danielson", just for the weirdness factor.

Khrno

Honestly, what I'd like to see is Bryan beat Punk, then have Cena cash in, but Bryan figures a way out of it after Cena already turned in the briefcase. Maybe by getting himself DQ'd. In the story, Bryan technically got to where he is now by being crafty and finding unconventional ways to gain an advantage. I'd like to see them continue to play to that. People like us are going to like him regardless, but I think that's the kind of thing that really gets heat with the type of fan that likes Cena. The whole "you'd never win in a fair fight" thing, but Bryan never allows the fight to be fair.

You are the most sensible person in this thread.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I admit this is part of my hope. Sure I'd love a lengthy awesome heel Bryan reign, but at the very least I'd love to be able to say "WWE Champion Bryan Danielson", just for the weirdness factor.
This is how low you're expectations have gotten, people? That's all you want? I thought you guys were real Bryan fans! I'll know who to blame if Bryan ends up like Miz.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
09MjK.png

But this legend has already been killed!

Fuck you Big Shoe.

Kyoufu

The summer of Punk made an average match, great. And while one was dancing, the other one was just trying to follow.

But I'm glad we agree to disagree, so we should shake hands.

bURML.gif

Let's just put it this way:

Bryan Alvarez gave the MITB match 5/5 stars. FIVE STAR MATCH!

The MitB match was voted as the best of the year.

What does this mean?

2 things:

1. The build up and storyline were phenomenal.

2. The actual match itself was good enough for Alvarez to rate 5 stars.

Ithil

Honestly, what I'd like to see is Bryan beat Punk, then have Cena cash in, but Bryan figures a way out of it after Cena already turned in the briefcase. Maybe by getting himself DQ'd. In the story, Bryan technically got to where he is now by being crafty and finding unconventional ways to gain an advantage. I'd like to see them continue to play to that. People like us are going to like him regardless, but I think that's the kind of thing that really gets heat with the type of fan that likes Cena. The whole "you'd never win in a fair fight" thing, but Bryan never allows the fight to be fair.

That fits perfectly with Bryan's highly entertaining WHC run, he never did the usual cowardly heel schtick, he came across as crafty and clever, manipulating the system to keep his title in matches.

That pisses off the kids and makes them really want to see someone batter Bryan, which is exactly the reaction a heel should get, but also entertains the older fans who like Bryan. It worked in his WHC, and that was with Big Show and an injured Mark Henry for most of it. With someone like Cena with his hilariously self-righteous anger, it could make for an entertaining reign.

It won't happen, though. Heels only exist to be easily beaten by Super Faces at the moment.

Aiii

So not worth it
You think they might even try to bury Cena in a losing streak? The same Cena who REFUSED to lose from November until WM last year? That Cena? The AJ love has made you crazy, man.

He lost to the Rock.

Remember how everyone just KNEW Cena was going to win at Wrestlemania? Myself included mind you.

Yeah, he lost. Clean. So why not again? From all accounts (hell even Colt Cabana and Punk went "yeah, used to think he was a dick, but then he turned out to be a nice guy") he seems interested in pushing other talent (or helping young talent, once again, according to Punk and Colt he's now working with Trent Baretta to help him get somewhere), but WWE is too protective of him.

I can see Cena wanting to help push a guy like Bryan. He did help Punk get over last year.

Ithil

This is how low you're expectations have gotten, people? That's all you want? I thought you guys were real Bryan fans! I'll know who to blame if Bryan ends up like Miz.

Well Miz actually had a lengthy enough reign, he was just booked as a fucking loser the whole time.

Of course I don't want Bryan to have a short transitional reign, least of all to that smirking goon Cena, but what I meant is that I want Bryan to win the title at some point, and that an easy time for him to have it is passing the WWE right by.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
He lost to the Rock.

Remember how everyone just KNEW Cena was going to win at Wrestlemania? Myself included mind you.

Yeah, he lost. Clean. So why not again? From all accounts (hell even Colt Cabana and Punk went "yeah, used to think he was a dick, but then he turned out to be a nice guy") he seems interested in pushing other talent (or helping young talent, once again, according to Punk and Colt he's now working with Trent Baretta to help him get somewhere), but WWE is too protective of him.

I can see Cena wanting to help push a guy like Bryan. He did help Punk get over last year.
WTF? Are you honestly trying to compare the Rock to Bryan? We're talking about the Rock here. You think that the WWE is going to have Cena go on some losing streak gimmick with a loss to Bryan? Now, Bryan could certainly win one match or so, but best believe that it will be followed by the usual Cena burial treatment.

Bryan wins the belt on the PPV they don't care about. MATCH IS AMAZING AT LEAST, but f**king Cena still has to be forced as the 'star' of the night.

Cena cashes in straight away on 1000th Raw which they've made sure is a BIG F**KING DEAL and wins.

Punk demands his rematch at SummerSlam, but wait Bryan has a case there too!

Punk beats Bryan on Raw or something no one cares as the details are not important to earn the sole title shot.

Cena vs Punk at SummerSlam.

Bryan marries HHH's oldest daughter in 20 years and is finally 'given' the respect he deserves.

Sokantish

WTF? Are you honestly trying to compare the Rock to Bryan? We're talking about the Rock here. You think that the WWE is going to have Cena go on some losing streak gimmick with a loss to Bryan? Now, Bryan could certainly win one match or so, but best believe that it will be followed by the usual Cena burial treatment.

How come you're trying to think feuds through logically and stuff now that Kane is seemingly out of his? Where was this Soulplaya when Kane was making out with AJ?

Because AJ and Bryan as an equal power couple is an appealing idea. Not the same as before with AJ as Bryan's timid and mistreated girlfriend, but as a full blown heel. We've not had one of these power couples since Edge and Lita.

I can buy that Bryan may need AJ. Why on Earth would AJ want or need Bryan?
The AJ/Bryan feud is the best thing in the WWE right now and I hate that everyone feels the endgame needs to be "AJ ends up with some dude"

Except that Bryan has been fighting fair (and looking more dangerous because of it) since Wrestlemania. If anything having him to fall back into being "crafty smart heel cheats to win" would be a serious regression and take him back into Miz territory.

So Punk beats Cena for the WWE title at MitB.

Cena then beats Mysterio to become a "paper" champion on RAW.

Punk again proves he's better than Cena by beating him in a "champion vs champion" match at Summerslam (Because you couldn't tell which one of Punk or Cena was the "real" champion in the first place by the fact that Punk beat Cena for his championship)

Why should I be excited about Punk vs. Cena again?

Shifting power dynamics.
MITB 2011 = Rocky 1
Summerslam 2011 = Rocky 2
Summerslam 2012 (and beyond) = Rocky 3

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How come you're trying to think feuds through logically and stuff now that Kane is seemingly out of his? Where was this Soulplaya when Kane was making out with AJ?
I was enamored, and I couldn't help it! I should have listened to Owl. He knew this would end badly.

Aiii

So not worth it

I'm trying to make a point. Cena does lose matches. He lost a match against fucking TENSAI of all people.

If he's going to lose, he might as well lose to Bryan. In case you missed the memo, Bryan has been main event (that's just below Cena) status since last December. Bryan beat the Big Show multiple times in matches, if Cena can go into a program and get knocked out by Show, he can also lose to Bryan.

Once again, as I said above. I expect Bryan to lose to Cena on the 1000th Raw if Cena wins MitB (he will) and Bryan beats Punk... And Cena to lose to Punk if Punk wins at MitB.

But do I think it out of the realm of possibility that John Cena will lose a match to Daniel Bryan? Hell no, and neither should anyone. Swerve, remember?

Ithil

I'm trying to make a point. Cena does lose matches. He lost a match against fucking TENSAI of all people.

If he's going to lose, he might as well lose to Bryan. In case you missed the memo, Bryan has been main event (that's just below Cena) status since last December. Bryan beat the Big Show multiple times in matches, if Cena can go into a program and get knocked out by Show, he can also lose to Bryan.

Once again, as I said above. I expect Bryan to lose to Cena on the 1000th Raw if Cena wins MitB (he will) and Bryan beats Punk... And Cena to lose to Punk if Punk wins at MitB.

But do I think it out of the realm of possibility that John Cena will lose a match to Daniel Bryan? Hell no, and neither should anyone. Swerve, remember?

"Swerves" by Vince in regards to Cena tend to be "Cena wins". He lost to the Rock, but that's the Rock. Tensai was unexpected, but we know he was meant to get a big push (the one Big Show is getting apprently).

Khrno

I can buy that Bryan may need AJ. Why on Earth would AJ want or need Bryan?

If Bryan becomes WWE champion (with a decent title length), AJ would benefit by being beside him, but this time not in that shy weak way she was last year, but in her psycho heel current persona.

She'd gain exposure, "main-event" status and she could get into feuds with other diva/valets that were with someone being with Bryan.

I see AJ having some sort of side-feud with Vickie Guerrero in the next few weeks, Vickie is basically at the top of the divas list in WWE.

Also, after all this she would have earned credibility to be a threat to whoever the Diva champion is whenever she gets a title shot and be able to win the title, thus making Bryan and AJ heel champions.

Aiii

So not worth it
"Swerves" by Vince in regards to Cena tend to be "Cena wins". He lost to the Rock, but that's the Rock. Tensai was unexpected, but we know he was meant to get a big push (the one Big Show is getting apprently).

Yes, and contrary to Show and Tensai, Bryan is selling out his t-shirts. If there's one thing that gets Vince's attentions it's...
millions_of_dollars__by_cardboard_kira-d50tpln.gif

XenoRaven

Perspicacity said:
Except that Bryan has been fighting fair (and looking more dangerous because of it) since Wrestlemania. If anything having him to fall back into being "crafty smart heel cheats to win" would be a serious regression and take him back into Miz
territory.
This might sound contradictory, and I didn't want to include it in the other post because it felt a little OT, but my ideal booking for Bryan is for him to try and weasel his way out of any fight where it looks like he doesn't have a distinct advantage, then when he's finally cornered he goes crazy like a caged animal and brings out all his intensity.

The thing is, Bryan is great, but you can't just be great and make it in the WWE. He may be established as one of the best workers in the business, but he got that reputation in the indies. In the WWE, you have to establish yourself as a WWE superstar. While Bryan's rise has been amazing and I hope it continues, think about the slow burn Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler have experienced over the course of however many years they've been with the company. When those guys get elevated and start knocking off guys like Sheamus, Punk, and hopefully Cena, I will believe because they've worked their way up as WWE superstars. As it stands, the only person in the main event scene I think Bryan can really beat is Punk. That's due to a lot of different reasons, but that's how I feel. Give him a little more time to develop as a character. One day, he'll get a feud where he has no option and no way to escape. Maybe he wants his title back, maybe someone took something from him that he wants, maybe he decides he wants to be taken more seriously. Then he's able to turn the intensity on whenever he needs it, and then I'll believe he can beat Sheamus, Orton, and Cena.

Also I wish submissions were taken more seriously on a consistent basis and by people other than midcarders and heels.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
He lost to the Rock.

I think the problem is that although WWE is waaaay overprotective of their stars (you can see th is in the way they have Punk come out on top ever since he became the #2 guy in the company last year), Cena doesn't really seem to care about making it work... or maybe he just doesn't have the ability to.

Punk still manages to pull off good matches even when he's being booked as superman. Austin won like 95% of his matches during the height of the attitude era but it never felt like it because he had the ability to make it engaging, and he usually won in unique ways (Vince is referee? Knock him out with the stunner, grab his hand, and slam it to the mat 3 times. Cage match with Vince, and Big Show is interfering/debuting on behalf of Vince? Have one of the sides of the cage detach when austin is thrown into it by show, and have him drop to the floor, escaping with victory by a miracle, but bloodied and beaten.)

Cena gets a cinderblock thrown over his head or DDT'd on concrete in a 4 on 1 handicap match and he goes on a rampage 2 minutes later for a victory. It's way, way ,way too blatant and supermanish. Same with his promos. They're just TOO corny.

From all accounts, Cena is an amazing guy that gets along with everyone else backstage, and his work ethic is second to none. HOWEVER, he also seems to be just as much of a yes man as Kane, perhaps even moreso, since he has Vince's ear in a way that Kane could never dream of.

Every time Cena feuds with someone, he buries them. Sometimes it's in the match (dropping chairs on wade, no-selling head shots on concrete). Sometimes it's in the buildup to the match ("If you fail to beat me, Show, you'll be the phony everyone always said you were" *beats Show at the PPV*). Sometimes it's after the match, especially when Cena loses ("Well, I lost, but I gave it my all and WE TORE THE ROOF OFF THE PLACE WOO YEAH!" That kind of it-is-what-it-is attitude KILLS crowd heat. Or when he was supposed to be carried off after beating Lesnar but instead gave a promo, no-selling the brutal beatdown he was supposed to have received.)

I think Cena is a good guy, with good intentions, and a noble heart, but he kind of kills any buildup other wrestlers create for themselves in promos, and he fails to tell a believable story in the ring, so when he wins, it makes his opponent look incredibly weak. That's all on him, not Vince. A superman face gimmick CAN work, but not if you come off as phony and fake about it.

Ithil

Does anyone have any idea of wha kind of salaries the roster tends to get up and down the card? Or what bonus PPVs or whatever are worth.

No idea where I'd see that sort of financial information, and I've rarely seen WWE wrestlers' salaries disclosed.

I know Cena makes over a million a year from salaries, bonus, royalties etc, and HHH gets millions for showing up four times a year, and that FCW developmental guys make very little, but other than that I'm clueless.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yes, and contrary to Show and Tensai, Bryan is selling out his t-shirts. If there's one thing that gets Vince's attentions it's...
millions_of_dollars__by_cardboard_kira-d50tpln.gif
Yeah, it did wonders for Ryder, lol.

I fully expect Bryan to beat punk at MITB due to AJ, and then lose it soon afterwards to Cena cashing in. To me, that's not good for Bryan as it knocks out of the main event with no real way back, unless it's to job to Cena again.

Ithil

Yeah, it did wonders for Ryder, lol.

I fully expect Bryan to beat punk at MITB due to AJ, and then lose it soon afterwards to Cena cashing in. To me, that's not good for Bryan as it knocks out of the main event with no real way back, unless it's to job to Cena again.

Who cares? As long as Cena is the main event the company does 6.0 ratings and rakes in billions of dollars.

I think that's what Vince's brain tells him anyway.

Aiii

So not worth it
Lets just all agree that Cena becoming champ this year is inevitable. And it'll happen somewhere between Raw 1000 and Night of Champions.

Bryan at best will have a short run now or no run at all and Punk is not gonna be the champ for much longer. He'll never get a full year's worth.

DKehoe

I think the problem is that although WWE is waaaay overprotective of their stars (you can see th is in the way they have Punk come out on top ever since he became the #2 guy in the company last year), Cena doesn't really seem to care about making it work... or maybe he just doesn't have the ability to.

Actually I'd say one of the problems in WWE is that they don't protect enough guys. There is a top tier of guys (basically Punk and Cena) and then everyone else just trades meaningless wins and losses back and forth with no one getting over as a result.

Geez last years MitB was so good. For one night at least until they ended up ruining it the glorious possibilities had been realised and the thought of what kind of amazing stuff they could build on from there was just too sweeeeet!

Such a pity.

Bryan winning this year will make me happy for him personally, but it would be nicer having that AND done in an awesome story sense too.

Khrno

The thing is, Bryan is great, but you can't just be great and make it in the WWE. He may be established as one of the best workers in the business, but he got that reputation in the indies. In the WWE, you have to establish yourself as a WWE superstar. While Bryan's rise has been amazing and I hope it continues, think about the slow burn Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler have experienced over the course of however many years they've been with the company.

Ziggler and Rhodes slow-burn push is due to not having 8 years of experience prior to joining WWE.

Bryan does indeed have to pay his dues, but he has been doing that since the beginning, he was released and re-hired, then got jobbed to hell and given slight pushes, and when the ball was given to him in the most critical moment, he didn't disappointed and instead he created another cash cow for Vince.

Bryan doesn't need any sort of slow burn, Bryan needs to face the top dogs. Feuding Ziggler, Kofi or Santino right now won't do anything for Bryan (nor those guys). Bryan is past that line, he just needs that vote of confidence by Vince to have another "main event" star that just as Punk and unlike Orton or Mysterio, there's very low chance of them having issues with the wellness policies. After that, Bryan can be used to elevate those other guys that are in the slow burner, since they won't give them Cena or Punk (or even Orton) because the gap is still too big.

Punk doesn't deserve to be the champion anymore.

He's become such a generic, cookie-cutter babyface that him having the title isn't special anymore. Punk got his new, cushy deal and he's put it on cruise control now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Actually I'd say one of the problems in WWE is that they don't protect enough guys. There is a top tier of guys (basically Punk and Cena) and then everyone else just trades meaningless wins and losses back and forth with no one getting over as a result.

right, that's what I mean.

But even so, Cena doesn't win as much as Austin did. Or Hogan. But every time he feuds with someone, they almost always come out poorly. Whether it's Bradshaw, Khali, Big Show, Miz, Del Rio, Umaga, R Truth, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton, etc...

If you feud with Cena, chances are you're going to be buried soon after.

Khrno

They're protecting Brodus Clay and Ryback!

But really don't forget Sheamus and Orton. It's like they have this top tier (just below Cena) and then a huge gap until the next tier.

somedevil

Just want to add that the Wrestling Observer is reporting Punk vs Cena also said that there wouldn't be anymore guest wrestlers because Vader was too over.

Then Sid showed up and Bryan Alveraz was wrong. So this means that things change or could be wrong.

Also, Vince has enough trust in Bryan because he has been in the title hunt now for 6 monthes when posters here said he was going to be buried or go to the midcard.

Khrno

But even so, Cena doesn't win as much as Austin did.

You cannot be seriously comparing Cena with Austin right, the only thing they have in common is being at the top of the company during a certain period of time, and Cena has gone for way longer than Austin did in a much, much, much poorer way (performing wise).

If Bryan becomes WWE champion (with a decent title length), AJ would benefit by being beside him, but this time not in that shy weak way she was last year, but in her psycho heel current persona.

She'd gain exposure, "main-event" status and she could get into feuds with other diva/valets that were with someone being with Bryan.

I see AJ having some sort of side-feud with Vickie Guerrero in the next few weeks, Vickie is basically at the top of the divas list in WWE.

Also, after all this she would have earned credibility to be a threat to whoever the Diva champion is whenever she gets a title shot and be able to win the title, thus making Bryan and AJ heel champions.

So if she needs the exposure from being aligned with the WWE champion then why not just pair her with Punk? Saying that they're both heels is a cop-out and is regularly complained about here. Your heels (or faces) shouldn't all be friends just because they're all bad (or good).

The bolded is the very reason why she shouldn't end up with Bryan. AJ was neither shy nor weak, she was the one who pursued Bryan and she was regularly getting into matches against the "experienced" divas. Bryan pushed the perceptions that she was shy and weak by demeaning her on a regular basis.

It's kind of fucked up that people here seem to think the best storyline is saying that the woman needed to change to "earn" her place next to Bryan.

Khrno

Just want to add that the Wrestling Observer is reporting Punk vs Cena also said that there wouldn't be anymore guest wrestlers because Vader was too over.

Then Sid showed up and Bryan Alveraz was wrong. So this means that things change or could be wrong.

Also, Vince has enough trust in Bryan because he has been in the title hunt now for 6 monthes when posters here said he was going to be buried or go to the midcard.

It also means that the Wrestling Observer and other dirt sheets know jack shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
So if she needs the exposure from being aligned with the WWE champion then why not just pair her with Punk? Saying that they're both heels is a cop-out and is regularly complained about here. Your heels (or faces) shouldn't all be friends just because they're all bad (or good).

The bolded is the very reason why she shouldn't end up with Bryan. AJ was neither shy nor weak, she was the one who pursued Bryan and she was regularly getting into matches against the "experienced" divas. Bryan pushed the perceptions that she was shy and weak by demeaning her on a regular basis.

It's kind of fucked up that people here seem to think the best storyline is saying that the woman needed to change to "earn" her place next to Bryan.

Doubt that's what people think. AJ is clearly manipulating all three men and is showing a deep character development.

Hell, she got the crowd chanting for her and rooting for her. Aside from Kharma I can't remember the last time that happened. It's amazing what divas can do if you give them a storyline and screentime.

Speaking of which, did AJ get more screentime then Cena last night? She did, didn't she? Good on her.

XenoRaven

Ziggler and Rhodes slow-burn push is due to not having 8 years of experience prior to joining WWE.

Bryan does indeed have to pay his dues, but he has been doing that since the beginning, he was released and re-hired, then got jobbed to hell and given slight pushes, and when the ball was given to him in the most critical moment, he didn't disappointed and instead he created another cash cow for Vince.

Bryan doesn't need any sort of slow burn, Bryan needs to face the top dogs. Feuding Ziggler, Kofi or Santino right now won't do anything for Bryan (nor those guys). Bryan is past that line, he just needs that vote of confidence by Vince to have another "main event" star that just as Punk and unlike Orton or Mysterio, there's very low chance of them having issues with the wellness policies. After that, Bryan can be used to elevate those other guys that are in the slow burner, since they won't give them Cena or Punk (or even Orton) because the gap is still too big.
I agree with you for the most part, but that's not the way the WWE typically works. Jericho had to work his ass off to get to the main event scene, and often found himself floating in and out of it. Same goes for Eddie and Benoit. Malenko didn't even make it in the WWE. The guys were basically legendary everywhere else. I get it. They don't want top talent that's fairweather. If they make it in the WWE, they'll probably be there forever. I think they've left a lot of talent on the table and wasted a lot of potential, but that's the way they operate.

Khrno

Your point is valid, but do you actually want to see current bland Punk with psycho-AJ? The answer will represent a personal opinion so there's no point in arguing that.

But this all comes to down to personal preferences, and I really enjoyed Bryan/AJ during their time at SD and would like them to be a couple with a WWE/Diva title combo.

Why not Punk? Because I dislike his blandness, as AnEternalEnigma just said, he is just on cruise control now, and his character does nothing for me. The thought of an Edge/Lita recreation entices me, but with Bryan, not with Punk.

We'll just keep going in circles since this discussion is just based on personal preferences anyway.

Wrestling legend Ric Flair and his wife Jacqueline Bains Beems were involved in yet another violent altercation at their condo in Charlotte, North Carolina on Monday night.

According to police, Beems assaulted Flair. Nobody was arrested or hospitalized.

Even though the couple has been married for less than two years, this is not the first time police have gotten involved in Ric and Jacqueline's domestic incidents. Beems was arrested back in 2010 after punching Ric Flair in the face. Those charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence.

Beems was also arrested back in March on charges of DWI and reckless driving.

Top Bottom