• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Khrno

I agree with you for the most part, but that's not the way the WWE typically works. Jericho had to work his ass off to get to the main event scene, and often found himself floating in and out of it. Same goes for Eddie and Benoit. Malenko didn't even make it in the WWE. The guys were basically legendary everywhere else. I get it. They don't want top talent that's fairweather. If they make it in the WWE, they'll probably be there forever. I think they've left a lot of talent on the table and wasted a lot of potential, but that's the way they operate.

The main difference with 10 years ago is the depth of the roster, they don't have the same types of luxuries anymore. So besides Rhodes and Ziggler is there something else? They wasted other guys like DiBiase, Kofi, Swagger.

They are in need of pushing Del Rio because they are hurting in their southern neighbor market. They are in need of Bryan because he has the experience and talent, and is proving himself right now as worthy of Vince's trust. They are in need of pulling the trigger on Rhodes and Ziggler because they deserved after so many years in the making.

What you suggested to have for Bryan before, is something that I would have Barret and Sin Cara do instead, since those are guys that need some more mileage but have the talent.

Hopefully this is just a transitional era, and in 5 years the company will have an ample and deep roster where they can take the time to slow burn any new signing. Right now they are paying the consequences for only focusing on Cena, and a few other main event stars during so long.

Ithil

The main difference with 10 years ago is the depth of the roster, they don't have the same types of luxuries anymore. So besides Rhodes and Ziggler is there something else? They wasted other guys like DiBiase, Kofi, Swagger.

They are in need of pushing Del Rio because they are hurting in their southern neighbor market. They are in need of Bryan because he has the experience and talent, and is proving himself right now as worthy of Vince's trust. They are in need of pulling the trigger on Rhodes and Ziggler because they deserved after so many years in the making.

What you suggested to have for Bryan before, is something that I would have Barret and Sin Cara do instead, since those are guys that need some more mileage but have the talent.

Hopefully this is just a transitional era, and in 5 years the company will have an ample and deep roster where they can take the time to slow burn any new signing. Right now they are paying the consequences for only focusing on Cena, and a few other main event stars during so long.

By rights the big turnaround revolution to start an uptrend in WWE again should have happened last year with CM Punk. There was a period when, if they played it right, Punk could have been the biggest star in wrestling since Stone Cold himself. I stand by that notion.

They did NOT play it right, they bungled it, and as a result Punk is a main event guy, but no more main event than any other top guy from the last 5 years. He's popular but the megapops of last summer are long gone. It wasn't even Cena pandering that time (though they still protected him a lot), it was HHH instead.

I don't see where the next boom period, if there is going to be any, can come from. You have to hit the perfect note of mainstream and wrestling niche. Hogan, Austin, the nWo, they hit it. Punk did too, during that summer

Kaladin

I still can't believe the Raw MITB is going to be Kane vs Big Show vs Jericho vs Cena. That sounds like the worst ladder match in the history of ladder matches. The only possible good outcome is Jericho winning and cashing in to face Bryan as WWE Champion.

Sokantish

I still can't believe the Raw MITB is going to be Kane vs Big Show vs Jericho vs Cena. That sounds like the worst ladder match in the history of ladder matches. The only possible good outcome is Jericho winning and cashing in to face Bryan as WWE Champion.

That's not all right? It's going to be more than four people I hope.

Linkified

Nope Cena will win face Bryan after he wins MITB. Bryan will kick Cena in the Balls for the DQ victory.

Ithil

Nope. Four only. They don't have enough guys.

Remember they've got WWE title match, WHC match, so that's four gone. Then they need another 4 for WHC MITB match.

I don't think the Smackdown one will have the "former champion" stipulation. The RAW one is just to ensure it's a small, safe group of participants so Cena won't get injured while he wastes a MITB match.

The Smackdown will probably have the usual bunch of 6-8 mid card guys.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't think the Smackdown one will have the "former champion" stipulation. The RAW one is just to ensure it's a small, safe group of participants so Cena won't get injured while he wastes a MITB match.

We will probably find out tonight, but I hope they do 6-8 young guys for SD. That's what MITB should be all about.

Aiii

So not worth it

Actually, if you noticed, it's no longer the raw and smackdown mitb either. They now make a point of saying the title names as mitb matches instead of the shows.

Toki767

It's too bad there's a brand split. Del Rio is a former WWE champion but he isn't in the MITB match. Mysterio is a former champion too (for 90 minutes or so). Oh, and Miz I guess.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oh, Smackdown should be good this week:

imagefdw.jpg

McNei1y

It's going to be pretty bad. I want Jericho to win but I know it'll be Cena easily.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's too bad there's a brand split. Del Rio is a former WWE champion but he isn't in the MITB match. Mysterio is a former champion too (for 90 minutes or so). Oh, and Miz I guess.

There isn't a brand split... just two titles. Plus, there are not enough people for both matches plus the two title matches.

The roster is really bad at the moment.

The entire RAW MITB seems build around making Cena not look bad.

Of they had Del Rio, Ziggler, Rey in there jumping around taking risks and being entertaining then Cener would look a bit of a fool when he isnt taking any bumps and is just doing power moves and maybe a AA off the ladder for the finish.

Got to fill the match with slow as fuck 7 foot giants and Chris Jericho who I guess will do ok I guess but they can rely on him not to making anyone look bad.

XenoRaven

Where is the Miz anyway? Not that I'm complaining about not seeing him on my television.

By the way, I had stopped watching wrestling a long time ago and tried to come back a few times, but never did because "it wasn't like I remembered". I judged a lot of guys unfairly. Most notably, CM Punk. "He's dumb! He's not like Austin!!" However, now that I'm back watching regularly again I feel confident maintaining the opinion that "The Miz" is still a stupid fucking name.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE sent out the following press release on Tuesday detailing Charlie Sheen’s role as the special Social Media Ambassador for Monday Night RAW’s 1,000th episode celebration on July 23rd:

#SheenGetsRaw on July 23

STAMFORD, Conn.–(EON: Enhanced Online News)–WWE® (NYSE: WWE) today announced Charlie Sheen, star of the highly anticipated FX comedy series Anger Management, as the Social Media Ambassador for Monday Night Raw’s historic 1000th episode live on July 23 at 8/7C on USA Network.

Sheen will tweet during Raw, providing up-to-the-minute commentary on the night’s action to his 7.5 million Twitter followers. Sheen has more than 12 million fans combined on the social media platforms Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. WWE fans and Sheen followers will be able to ask the actor questions during the broadcast via Twitter using the #SheenGetsRaw hashtag.

In Anger Management, Sheen stars as “Charlie,” a non-traditional therapist specializing in anger management. He has a successful private practice, holding sessions with his group of primary patients each week, as well as performing pro bono counseling for an inmate group at a state prison. Selma Blair, Shawnee Smith, Daniela Bobadilla, Michael Arden and Noureen DeWulf co-star.

The series premiere of FX’s comedy series Anger Management starts this Thursday, June 28 with the first two episodes airing at 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

Follow Charlie Sheen on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @CharlieSheen. Follow WWE on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @WWE.

* Rumor On The New PERMANENT RAW & SmackDown General Manager

So Sheen won't even be AT Raw for this? Lol, why even bother?

XenoRaven

Oh yeah! I forgot he was doing that.

I think Miz would make an effective Marine. All he'd have to do is carry a megaphone with him. If he ever got into a firefight he could just cut a promo and the terrorists would run for the hills.

XenoRaven

I don't know. I think Christian, Ziggs, and Rey in a ladder match together would be pretty sweet. Swagger can stomp the ground and make "AAAHHHHHH!" noises and throw some ladders around.

Khrno

SoulPlaya, you can print this out and keep it on your wallet.

- Here is the latest breakdown of special appearances for WWE Raw this summer…

* July 2 in Laredo, Texas - Brock Lesnar's return,

* July 9 in Denver, Colorado - usual top stars, no special advertising for MITB PPV lead-in.

* July 16 in Las Vegas, Nevada - Triple H advertised, MITB PPV fall-out.

* July 23 in St. Louis - WWE recognizes 1,000 episodes and shifts to three hours with a DX (Triple H & Shawn Michaels) reunion, other top stars making surprise returns including a Brock Lesnar appearance.

* July 30 in Cincinnati, Ohio- Randy Orton returning from suspension, Triple H advertised.

* August 6 in San Antonio, Texas - DX reunion in Michaels's hometown.

* Aug. 13 in Dallas, Texas - Triple H, Brock Lesnar advertised for Summerslam lead-in.

* Aug. 20 in Fresno, California - Triple H advertised, Lesnar not advertised for Summerslam fall-out.

somedevil

What a horrible prospects these MitB seem to be.

I don't think they will do that. One, it seems we might get a 3 way at the pay per view between Sheamus, Ziggler and Del Rio and also were getting Christian and Cody Rhodes again.

I bet the money in the bank for smackdown should include Antonio Cesaro, Damien Sandow, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, Hunico, Kofi, R-truth, Drew Mcintyre or Rey Mysterio if he is ready.

Khrno

Yeah I would hope for the World title MitB they'll do the opposite and just have guys that have never won the title before.

To your list, just put Ryback instead of Mysterio.

McNei1y

I don't know. I think Christian, Ziggs, and Rey in a ladder match together would be pretty sweet. Swagger can stomp the ground and make "AAAHHHHHH!" noises and throw some ladders around.

I think that'd be pretty interesting. I don't see Kane or Big Show doing any high flying but these guys could at least do some cool shit. I want to see how Ziggler sells a fall from the MitB.

He came to play.

Well toned Cougar butt? I sense AJ is getting some tension between her and Vicki.

Sexual tension.

Aj was giving her ass quite the look last night.

G-Fex

I think that'd be pretty interesting. I don't see Kane or Big Show doing any high flying but these guys could at least do some cool shit. I want to see how Ziggler sells a fall from the MitB.

Aj was giving her ass quite the look last night.

We all stared at Vicki's voluptuous behind last night.

AJ however, took it a bit farther, nearly undressing her with her very eyes.

I was enamored, and I couldn't help it! I should have listened to Owl. He knew this would end badly.

That's because it always ends badly, anyway this part of the cycle to me signifies the end, the end of the great Kane run of 2012, after MITB he will drop down the card, possibly turn face and be on the road to retirement, best big match he'll ever get again is a possible Kane/Taker fan service.

Kane suffered brutal humanization in that backstage raw segment, it was painful to watch, HUMAN KANE HAS ARRIVED, HE'S GONNA SHAKE YOUR HANDS WITH NO GLOVE.
Kane vs Barrett, lets do this, use the last ounce of monster credibility to put over Barrett.

Your point is valid, but do you actually want to see current bland Punk with psycho-AJ? The answer will represent a personal opinion so there's no point in arguing that.

But this all comes to down to personal preferences, and I really enjoyed Bryan/AJ during their time at SD and would like them to be a couple with a WWE/Diva title combo.

Why not Punk? Because I dislike his blandness, as AnEternalEnigma just said, he is just on cruise control now, and his character does nothing for me. The thought of an Edge/Lita recreation entices me, but with Bryan, not with Punk.

We'll just keep going in circles since this discussion is just based on personal preferences anyway.

Well I actually think (and have been trying to argue that) she shouldn't end up with any of them, as that would be far more interesting and better for the character. I'd be willing to consent that she could use the publicity of being with a main event guy, but from a storyline perspective that person should be [not Daniel Bryan].

If I were to ignore story and were I forced to choose one or the other, then I would still choose Punk because he's boring and he needs someone interesting to interact with. He doesn't really have anything interesting to say about his opponents anymore so he may as well let AJ be the character while plays straight-man to her antics.
Daniel Bryan just straight up doesn't need her (except maybe as an opponent).

I don't think they will do that. One, it seems we might get a 3 way at the pay per view between Sheamus, Ziggler and Del Rio and also were getting Christian and Cody Rhodes again.

I bet the money in the bank for smackdown should include Antonio Cesaro, Damien Sandow, Tyson Kidd, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, Hunico, Kofi, R-truth, Drew Mcintyre or Rey Mysterio if he is ready.

Only if they wanted to make me really really happy.

Ithil

Kidd would be the closest thing to have Benjamin back for MITB

Linkified

Guys you don't want Cena to win MITB and get kicked in the balls by Bryan for a DQ, so Cena would be the first loser of MITB?

You guys...

Top Bottom