• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Ithil

I just remembered what that first AJ/Kane kiss reminded me of.

Kane being emotionless there reminds me of that scene Robocop where that lady who just got rescued by those thugs goes up to hug Robcop and he just stands there and looks at her.

Robocop...WCW...Kane....wrestling

Full circle. Poetry.

"Diva you have suffered an emotional shock, I will notify a WWE medical offical"

Wasn't there a few Japanese WWE wrestlers? I only can remember Taka, Funaki, and Tajiri.

Dick Togo and Terry Boy were in the original Kaientai, managed by Mr. Yamaguchi - also, Akio Sato wrestled for WWF in the early 90's, and returned later to manage another Japanese wresttler, Hakushi. Kenzo Suzuki was on Smackdown for quite a while in the mid 2000's, along with his manager/wife. Mr. Fuji, of course, as both wrestler and manager throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's, plus Japanese greats like Ultimo Dragon, Genichiro Tenryu, Antonio Inoki, Masa Saito & Great Sasuke have all wrestled for WWF at one point.

G-Fex

"Diva you have suffered an emotional shock, I will notify a WWE medical offical"

Yup.

Then last night when he said what he said to AJ, it reminded me of Batman forever where Batman denies Dr. Chase Meridian's seduction.

"I don't blend in at a family picnic."

If the ratings keep going up because Johnny ace if off TV I wonder how high ratings would be if they took Cole and King of commentary.

Easily the weakest part of RAW the last few years. If the commentates dont take your product seriously then why will the viewer?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As a practical joke, wrestler
Kota Ibushi
tweeted a nude photo of
Taka Michinoku
from a locker room over the weekend.

Too funny. Anyone got it?

Ithil

AJ is a better wrestler than Chyna, but they should have very few if any matches against eachother.
Also, turning AJ into Lita at this point would be a huge step backward.

Pretty much, yeah. It doesn't even need to be directly between AJ + Bryan. One of the best feuds of the past year has been Kevin Steen + Jim Cornette and that has happened without Cornette even directly "managing" any one wrestler.

When I say I'd like to see a power couple like Edge/Lita, I don't actually want Bryan/AJ to act like them, I want them in a similar position of power. Edge was the Rated R Superstar, etc, Bryan is a totally different character, likewise for Lita and AJ.

Shit, make it like HHH/Stephanie, where they're both major heels, it's not just Bryan the heel and his valet, it's a two person power group, one just happens to be female.

That said, I'm happy enough with Bryan on his own as a heel, too. As long as he's booked as manipulative/sneaky with the rules, yet still dangerous in the ring, there's no reason his star power can't continue to rise swiftly.

I'm only wary of AJ going on her own because in this day and age, a Diva in the WWE just gets dumped in the Divas division purgatory, and outside of romance angles they never interact with the males. That's not right, but it's how it is. Even though AJ is popular, I can't see her crazy chick character doing much for the Divas division if its just her.

Sure fans would be more interested in her matches, but her character does need others to bounce it off, and the Divas division is not exactly bursting with interesting characters.

That said, they certainly have taken a shine to AJ (the WWE management, I mean).

Khrno

Pretty much, yeah. It doesn't even need to be directly between AJ + Bryan. One of the best feuds of the past year has been Kevin Steen + Jim Cornette and that has happened without Cornette even directly "managing" any one wrestler.

In all seriousness, an AJ/Bryan feud can work, but there has to be a payoff of some type, if it's not going to be with Punk, then AJ will have to end up helping someone else, unless she just turns Bryan into her personal bitch from all the bullying.

Either way Bryan needs something more than AJ, same as AJ needs something more than Bryan, but as how the story goes so far there's still plenty for where to go. However taking Bryan off the title picture is a downgrade for both him and AJ, unless Bryan has an in-ring feud with Jericho or another top-guy, which basically there's no one else available.

The roster is so thin that at this time any one else besides Jericho and maybe Rey Mysterio, would be a step down for his progression.

If Bryan doesn't get Cena next, then he should really soon. As I said before, if Cena doesn't break him, Bryan will be set as a main-eventer.

Ithil said:
I'm only wary of AJ going on her own because in this day and age, a Diva in the WWE just gets dumped in the Divas division purgatory, and outside of romance angles they never interact with the males. That's not right, but it's how it is. Even though AJ is popular, I can't see her crazy chick character doing much for the Divas division if its just her.

I also mentioned this earlier, with the current state of the Divas division, AJ has no guarantee or remaining relevant if his story with Bryan ends now. Another good thing that can happen for AJ is to have a feud with Vickie Guerrero since she is the HHH of the Divas division (minus the wrestling part).

Kyoufu

Cole and King are tolerable now. When Vince had them feuding was when I wanted to stop watching, but Cole has calmed down since.

Cole and King are tolerable now. When Vince had them feuding was when I wanted to stop watching, but Cole has calmed down since.

yeah I admit its better then it was but its still missing a lot.

They really need someone like JR or Striker on there who can mark the fuck out when needed

King and Cole dont get excited for anything. When they try it seems forced and lacking any real excitement.

Same when a heel doesnt something heelish. They just cant put it over well.

Also it doesnt help when they are sitting there giggling during segments.

Ithil

In all seriousness, an AJ/Bryan feud can work, but there has to be a payoff of some type, if it's not going to be with Punk, then AJ will have to end up helping someone else, unless she just turns Bryan into her personal bitch from all the bullying.

Either way Bryan needs something more than AJ, same as AJ needs something more than Bryan, but as how the story goes so far there's still plenty for where to go. However taking Bryan off the title picture is a downgrade for both him and AJ, unless Bryan has an in-ring feud with Jericho or another top-guy, which basically there's no one else available.

The roster is so thin that at this time any one else besides Jericho and maybe Rey Mysterio, would be a step down for his progression.

If Bryan doesn't get Cena next, then he should really soon. As I said before, if Cena doesn't break him, Bryan will be set as a main-eventer.

When Edge was rising to the main event, it was a much friendlier environment for rising talent. He, Cena, Batista and Orton, as well as others tha idn't pan out all were pushed to the main event in a short amount of time. The roster was maybe not amazing in 2005-2006, but it was full, and there was no insurmountable king of the mountain that drained all the creative juices out of the TV shows (HHH was on top, but he put over Batista in a big way which helped).

Nowadays the roster is thin as fuck and suffering from suspensions and injuries, and has Cena as this oppressive force over the whole show. All the potential main event mainstays have no one to feud with other than each other, which would damage one of the others pushes and create a vicious cycle where they never make it. Look at Sheamus, floundering about late last year with no one to feud with despite his push. Big Show/Henry/Orton were in the main event, and other mid carders like Cody or Barrett were also getting pushes and couldn't lose to Sheamus.

Now they're starting an influx of guys from FCW, who are gonna need similar pushes in time, too.

No wonder they have so many jobbers. Shame they're lacking in credible mid card to main event guys who are established enough to lose comfortably.

Ithil

Nah, King is unbearable now. Cole is ok, most of the time, he just calls the action as he used to (which is adequate).

King contributes absolutely nothing, in fact he hurts the broadcast. Also, Vince seems to have transferred a lot of his feeding dumb lines thing to King recently.

Razorskin

----- ------
Nah, King is unbearable now. Cole is ok, most of the time, he just calls the action as he used to (which is adequate).

King contributes absolutely nothing, in fact he hurts the broadcast. Also, Vince seems to have transferred a lot of his feeding dumb lines thing to King recently.

*Crowd cheering*
King: Are those boos?

Khrno

No wonder they have so many jobbers. Shame they're lacking in credible mid card to main event guys who are established enough to lose comfortably.

With all the latest signings at least it seems a pool of good talent is being built, that will in turn make people rise to the top, if it'll take some time, and we will still get same old-Cena for a long time, but they will have to start using Cena as the breakpoint for the future. They've already started with Punk and should follow suit with Bryan, eventually a ladder of people with a healthy midcard would have been formed and the situation will be rectified.

The question is, will Vince suck it up and make his golden boy produce some stars? If not then we'll just have to wait 2 years until Punk and Sheamus get closer to Cena and they can do the dirty work for him.

ctrl-f1.jpg

XenoRaven

"Let's go Sheamus" was the single worst moment in commentating history.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just hate King because, as long as he's there, there will be an eventual match of him trying to leach off some young heel wrestler to get a feud going. And his face is horrifying.

The reason I think an AJ/Bryan feud in some form would work is that it gives you an opportunity to shift Bryan's focus away from the belt, but still be in a feud with an important person. At this point AJ is matching every main eventer for screen time, so even though she isn't a threat, she is relevant to the minds of the WWE audience.
If Bryan can't be in a title feud he should be in a feud with someone important and the only person important enough who is also available is AJ.

Now if I were to put my fantasy booking hat on this feud could go a few different ways:
  1. AJ involves herself in all of DB's business, regardless of his opponent. It would let midcard guys get a win over important person-Daniel Bryan, while still protecting his credibility but you would still need an ultimate payoff for the feud.
  2. AJ manages someone [midcard/upper card/good FCW talent, not CM Punk]. Let's another wrestler become more important and can play out generally like a regular feud, but with the face AJ team using some dirty tactics to overcome wrestling-maching Daniel Bryan
  3. AJ and Bryan wrestle each other. Let Bryan win always of course, but don't ever let any amount of losses stop AJ from being a thorn in his side. Let Bryan be decisive in his wins (give him an 18s victory over AJ, the yessing would be awesome). Then at the end do some blow off match with stipulations that suggest this would be "The End". Let AJ look good, but still let Bryan win. This would give Bryan huge heel heat (He fights women!) and sets AJ up to be dangerous and unstable towards the diva's division.
    This is probably my favourite option

Chopper

With Leather Best and Worst of Raw said:
Lawler rightfully asked why Sheamus seemed so happy about suddenly having to face two opponents instead of one for the World Heavyweight Championship, and I said “because he’s stupid, Jerry” to my television.
This made me laugh out loud enough to wake up my girlfriend. Oops. Is this guy a gaffer or what? He's fucking spot on.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The reason I think an AJ/Bryan feud in some form would work is that it gives you an opportunity to shift Bryan's focus away from the belt, but still be in a feud with an important person. At this point AJ is matching every main eventer for screen time, so even though she isn't a threat, she is relevant to the minds of the WWE audience.
If Bryan can't be in a title feud he should be in a feud with someone important and the only person important enough who is also available is AJ.

Now if I were to put my fantasy booking hat on this feud could go a few different ways:
  1. AJ involves herself in all of DB's business, regardless of his opponent. It would let midcard guys get a win over important person-Daniel Bryan, while still protecting his credibility but you would still need an ultimate payoff for the feud.
  2. AJ manages someone [midcard/upper card/good FCW talent, not CM Punk]. Let's another wrestler become more important and can play out generally like a regular feud, but with the face AJ team using some dirty tactics to overcome wrestling-maching Daniel Bryan
  3. AJ and Bryan wrestle each other. Let Bryan win always of course, but don't ever let any amount of losses stop AJ from being a thorn in his side. Let Bryan be decisive in his wins (give him an 18s victory over AJ, the yessing would be awesome). Then at the end do some blow off match with stipulations that suggest this would be "The End". Let AJ look good, but still let Bryan win. This would give Bryan huge heel heat (He fights women!) and sets AJ up to be dangerous and unstable towards the diva's division.
    This is probably my favourite option
Having Bryan actually wrestle AJ would kill any credibility he would have as a serious heel. I can already hear the promo Cena would deliver about him, and the quick burial he would then deliver to Bryan.

Oh and I had a question. Has Sid been wrestling recently?

Dude looked like he had some ring rust but it could have just been all the excitement.

wwe.com video made it seem like he was really thankful to be there.

I wouldn't mind him being used by the company regularly if they found a place for him.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Oh and I had a question. Has Sid been wrestling recently?

Dude looked like he had some ring rust but it could have just been all the excitement.

wwe.com video made it seem like he was really thankful to be there.

I wouldn't mind him being used by the company regularly if they found a place for him.
He still wrestles regularly on the indie scene.

Having Bryan actually wrestle AJ would kill any credibility he would have as a serious heel. I can already hear the promo Cena would deliver about him, and the quick burial he would then deliver to Bryan.

This is basically the same as saying Daniel Bryan holding the WHC kills that belt's reputation because he's a cruiserweight.

I didn't say he should competitively wrestle her, let him dominate a few times then in the final outing (when he won't even be sweating her) let her get a few good shots in. Also, giving your good guys something to point at that's bad about the bad guys is a good thing, it gives a reason for people to care, ya dig?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
80% of Ric Flair's matches involve whoever he's in the ring with no selling Ric's offense but Ric is considered one of the greatest, if not, the greatest of all time. That's kinda fucked up.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This is basically the same as saying Daniel Bryan holding the WHC kills that belt's reputation because he's a cruiserweight.

I didn't say he should competitively wrestle her, let him dominate a few times then in the final outing (when he won't even be sweating her) let her get a few good shots in. Also, giving your good guys something to point at that's bad about the bad guys is a good thing, it gives a reason for people to care, ya dig?
What?

I'll say it again, the last thing you should be hoping to see is AJ wrestling Bryan. Beat her in 18 seconds? OK, sure. Multiple matches? A few where she mounts some offense? NO!

Ithil

What?

I'll say it again, the last thing you should be hoping to see is AJ wrestling Bryan. Beat her in 18 seconds? OK, sure. Multiple matches? A few where she mounts some offense? NO!

It's one thing for Chyna to do that, but seriously AJ is freaking tiny. Beth, Natalya, Kharma, etc, I can buy them butting heads with the male superstars without any trouble, but AJ is just not the right material for that.

Khrno

Do you want to know why AJ is the only person important enough? I'll tell you why.

1. Since november of last year she was paired up with the MITB winner and soon to be WHC, Daniel Bryan. This prompted her to be on the main event of Smackdown during 4 months, also gaining screen time on Raw when Bryan had a match, promo there.

2. After WM, she was involved not just with Bryan but with also his new opponent, WWE Champion, CM Punk, what prompted her to be on most Raw and SD, stalking her new found love and her ex.

3. Quickly after, good ol' Glenn showed into the picture, now we're not just talking about two of the best young talent, but a WWE legend as well.

So, what have all these 3 points in common for AJ (besides Bryan), the title, first the WHC, then the WWE title.

The title is taken away from the picture and both Bryan and AJ become irrelevant unless a new character for this soap opera appear with a high enough standing, to keep them with some relevancy, and from the current (or soon to be) available people, the only ones are Jericho and Orton.

But anyway, no more title in the picture, and the soap opera interest level will go below HHH, Cena, the WWE title and the WHC title storylines, that will give them just about enough time to feud and promo in Superstars and maybe WWE Main Event in October.

AJ needs to stay in the spotlight, just like Bryan, for longer, or their push will end in lower card hell.

• AJ and Bryan wrestle each other.

There's absolutely no point on this, unless it's another mixed-tag match.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's one thing for Chyna to do that, but seriously AJ is freaking tiny. Beth, Natalya, Kharma, etc, I can buy them butting heads with the male superstars without any trouble, but AJ is just not the right material for that.
Sometimes, I wonder if the people on here are Bryan fans, Bryan AND AJ fans, or just AJ fans. Might just be AJ fans, lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Do you want to know why AJ is the only person important enough? I'll tell you why.

1. Since november of last year she was paired up with the MITB winner and soon to be WHC, Daniel Bryan. This prompted her to be on the main event of Smackdown during 4 months, also gaining screen time on Raw when Bryan had a match, promo there.

2. After WM, she was involved not just with Bryan but with also his new opponent, WWE Champion, CM Punk, what prompted her to be on most Raw and SD, stalking her new found love and her ex.

3. Quickly after, good ol' Glenn showed into the picture, now we're not just talking about two of the best young talent, but a WWE legend as well.

So, what have all these 3 points in common for AJ (besides Bryan), the title, first the WHC, then the WWE title.

The title is taken away from the picture and both Bryan and AJ become irrelevant unless a new character for this soap opera appear with a high enough standing, to keep them with some relevancy, and from the current (or soon to be) available people, the only ones are Jericho and Orton.

But anyway, no more title in the picture, and the soap opera interest level will go below HHH, Cena, the WWE title and the WHC title storylines, that will give them just about enough time to feud and promo in Superstars and maybe WWE Main Event in October.

AJ needs to stay in the spotlight, just like Bryan, for longer, or their push will end in lower card hell.

There's absolutely no point on this, unless it's another mixed-tag match.
Khrno fucking gets it! It's why I worry about Cena getting involved.

Ithil

I can see them deciding to end the Bryan involvement, and have Punk beat him clean to end their feud at MITB, so he's free to lose the title to Cena at SS.

That's a fucking stupid plan, that disregards popular young talent (Bryan, AJ AND Punk) in favour of tired old Cena, but it's right up Vince's alley.

I dislike how negative I have to be about a match between Bryan and Punk. It's exactly what I want, but I feel like Cena's already started ruining it.

Khrno

Sometimes, I wonder if the people on here are Bryan fans, Bryan AND AJ fans, or just AJ fans. Might just be AJ fans, lol.

I'm a Bret Hart fan.

Yeah but I'm in favor of throwing Bryan at Cena. If Cena puts Bryan over, worst thing that can happen is that next year I'll be bitching about how bland is face Bryan.

I dislike how negative I have to be about a match between Bryan and Punk. It's exactly what I want, but I feel like Cena's already started ruining it.

Fuck Cena. If you like Punk, or Bryan, or whoever, just enjoy them and then block Cena out of your brain as I do when his green shit shows up on the shows.

Paracelsus

The only possible outcome to me is AJ costing Punk and Kane the title because 'Bryan is the only one who gets her' (after Punk tells her to fuck off next week on RAW) so that they can inject Bryan in the triple threat match at the 1000th RAW and feed him to Cena so that Punk doesn't get pinned.

Khrno

Me too!! Omg. Bret Hart is my all time favorite wrestler. I have the shades from when I was little somewhere in the basement.

high-5.jpg

I don't have his shades, but I have his book and met him during a signing here like 3 years ago.

He might put him over like he put Tensai over.

It's fucking Albert, a talentless fuck that became a hot thing in Japan just because he was bigger than most of them.

Been watching some more Mid-South from 1985, here's a few random pictures;

Some jobbers;

ibgYHUDNsn1PGO.png

Who get squashed by the debuting team of The Dirty White Boys;

iz4xxJIK0rN7v.png

Hacksaw coming down to have an great match with Dr. Death, that sees Hacksaw work over Williams' arm so he can't hit the Oklahoma Stampede;

ib0hGHplGOS1hL.png

Butch Reed has a really fun match with 'Nature Boy' Buddy Landel, who sells like a champ for Reed throughout;

ibScB3WCnF7Cq.png

i68mrLzisPdKz.png

Ted DiBiase and Hacksaw continue their feud with a 'best dressed' competition, but when the crowd favour Duggan, DiBiase goes crazy and destroys Hacksaw's car with a baseball bat;

iWmJKGXBKSwFu.png

ibuBRaacFgip1Y.png

ibpOiZODcaWPRZ.png

Finally, we get an awesome pair of matches with the Rock & Roll Express defending the tag titles against Chavo & Hector Guerrero - the first goes to a TV time-limit draw, while the second has two referees to stop the Guerrero's from cheating, and ends with a cool spot as Chavo & Hector have Morton in a double-team surfboard, but Gibson slides in underneath to pin the both of them;

iDZdEcOHfZsNd.png

I've only just noticed, the Spring Season of squash is over with Show punching out Brodus, just in time for Summer as well.
All hail Ryback, the highest quality Squash of all.

Khrno

I've only just noticed, the Spring Season of squash is over with Show punching out Brodus, just in time for Summer as well.
All hail Ryback, the highest quality Squash of all.

Sandow squashes are better, since Yoshi Tatsu and Tyson Kidd make up for like 10 of those no-name jobbers each.

A compilation of Steve Corino's best lines on commentary during Steen vs Richards;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn9ADyUpnSs

I've only seen a bit of Mid South, but it was great stuff.

Yeah, I haven't watched it in a good few years and I forgot how fun the promotion is - it just has a wild feel to it, lots of heated action in front of a hyped crowd, at least 2 or more good matches per show and some wrestlers I'm really not used to seeing in their prime, like Jake, Hacksaw and, hell, even Kamala.

The resemblance is uncanny!

Top Bottom