• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Ithil

King's even admitted he hates it. At least he was a character back in the late 90s...

I recall him saying he's never liked commentary all that much, but never more so than now, and that he'd rather be wrestling. For all his fault on commenary he can still go well enough in the ring, so I think he'd really be better off being a trainer in FCW, or going to wrestle some indy shows or whatever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I recall him saying he's never liked commentary all that much, but never more so than now, and that he'd rather be wrestling. For all his fault on commenary he can still go well enough in the ring, so I think he'd really be better off being a trainer in FCW, or going to wrestle some indy shows or whatever.

Yeah. I've seen him wrestle indie shows in the area and he looks so much happier, and he's still bumping amazingly.

Ithil

They are changing that though. They put on multiple 15-ish minute matches on Raw and Smackdown nowadays, divas matches on PPV's actually go anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes and they're building a tag-team division with storylines.

They do seem to have intention to change things for the better at WWE right now.

It's the pointless TV matches, though. Constant two minute squashes (like Santino jobs to Del Rio or someone like that), Ryback jobberfests, the 1 minute Divas matches.

It's fine to have a new superstar have some short matches or squashes as he's established, but it should stop after a couple of weeks and have them do full length matches.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Shamrock is HUGE in this Dungeon Match - and Owen in zubaz!

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's the pointless TV matches, though. Constant two minute squashes (like Santino jobs to Del Rio or someone like that), Ryback jobberfests, the 1 minute Divas matches.

It's fine to have a new superstar have some short matches or squashes as he's established, but it should stop after a couple of weeks and have them do full length matches.

What about the constant rematches? Kinda defeats the purpose of a PPV match when the guys have an immediate rematch the next night and fight each other for weeks on end until the next PPV.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And the constant rematches. Kinda defeats the purpose of a PPV match when the guys have an immediate rematch the next night and fight each other for weeks on end until the next PPV.

I hate the rematch clause. Hate it.

Khrno

I hate the rematch clause. Hate it.

It would make more sense if they changed such clause for something like a guaranteed #1 contender match, which they'd have to win to get to the champion again.

Instead we have all this championship matches and title changes sometimes, that have been taken straight out of a table tennis match.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It would make more sense if they changed such clause for something like a guaranteed #1 contender match, which they'd have to win to get to the champion again.

Instead we have all this championship matches and title changes sometimes, that have been taken straight out of a table tennis match.

It's basically their sad and lazy way of writing a feud to continue more than one month. It's a shame, encourages lazy writing despite some of the neat things they can do with it.

The worst was last year when you had as "#1 contenders" due to a rematch clause:
- Mysterio who lost to Cena (after Mysterio had won the title at the beginning of the show, cause Cena's a prick)
- Cena who lost to Punk (cleanish, Summerslam)
- Punk who lost to Del Rio (at Summerslam, Money in the Bank cash-in)

Except when they got the rematches it was
- Mysterio fighting Del Rio (on Raw, because it's only Mysterio)
- Cena fighting Del Rio (at Night of Champions, because people who use MITB contracts are assholes*)
- Punk fighting both Cena AND Del Rio (Hell in a Cell, wherein they went out of their way to protect Cena but not "next big thing" CM Punk)

Rematch clause can go fuck itself.

*Unless you're white

Ithil

The worst was last year when you had as "#1 contenders" due to a rematch clause:
- Mysterio who lost to Cena (after Mysterio had won the title at the beginning of the show, cause Cena's a prick)
- Cena who lost to Punk (cleanish, Summerslam)
- Punk who lost to Del Rio (at Summerslam, Money in the Bank cash-in)

Except when they got the rematches it was
- Mysterio fighting Del Rio (on Raw, because it's only Mysterio)
- Cena fighting Del Rio (at Night of Champions, because people who use MITB contracts are assholes*)
- Punk fighting both Cena AND Del Rio (Hell in a Cell, wherein they went out of their way to protect Cena but not "next big thing" CM Punk)

Rematch clause can go fuck itself.

*Unless you're white

I liked how the only way to stop Cena winning was to literally lock him out of the cell. Or perhaps to stop him losing.

Khrno

20120622_Light_Cenas_Greatest_Matches_homepage.jpg

I'm not linking because this is Not Safe For Sanity.

Edit: couldn't resist and went to see the top 5 matches, pleasantly surprised of #1, the last good feud John Cena ever had.

#1 John Cena vs. Edge: Unforgiven 2006 (Sept. 17, 2006)

Well Cena's match with Brock is MOTY so far in 2012 and his match with Punk from MITB 2011 was MOTY 2011. Despite what you think of him, he delivers when he needs to in matches with the right opponents.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well Cena's match with Brock is MOTY so far in 2012 and his match with Punk from MITB 2011 was MOTY 2011. Despite what you think of him, he delivers when he needs to in matches with the right opponents.

So key. And yeah, Cena v Brock was too good this year. Too good.

Khrno

Cena/Lesnar was a good match, but it was just as good as Punk/Jericho from the same PPV, and neither of them was better than Bryan/Sheamus 2 out of 3 falls match.

I hope they include that match where he uses the combination two Flying shoulderblocks, then he ducks a clothesline into a side-release spinout powerbomb, then the Five Knuckle Shuffle, finished off with the Attitude Adjustment

Kyoufu

Punk vs Jericho and Punk vs Bryan (which one? all of them) are the best.

Yeah I'm biased to Punk. Don't care about Cena/Brock. They're both phony sellouts.

Khrno

Punk vs Bryan (which one? )

MitB one should be the best one since it is the first 1-on-1 they have with a build, a hell of a build at that.

Too bad it's still gimmicky
with AJ as referee
, but can't wait to see the in-ring storytelling.

Kyoufu

MitB one should be the best one since it is the first 1-on-1 they have with a build, a hell of a build at that.

Too bad it's still gimmicky with AJ as referee
, but can't wait to see the in-ring storytelling.

in-ring storytelling with AJ? I'll pass on that.

Cena/Lesnar was a good match, but it was just as good as Punk/Jericho from the same PPV, and neither of them was better than Bryan/Sheamus 2 out of 3 falls match.

When I look at a match I don't look at just in ring wrestling ability. Those 2 feuds have nothing on the storyline that built into the match for Lesnar/Cena, the story being told during the match, and the crowd reaction. Sure technically they might be better matches wrestling wise than what Brock/Cena offered, but for me, so much more goes into being a MOTY than just in ring wrestling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When I look at a match I don't look at just in ring wrestling ability. Those 2 feuds have nothing on the storyline that built into the match for Lesnar/Cena, the story being told during the match, and the crowd reaction. Sure technically they might be better matches wrestling wise than what Brock/Cena offered, but for me, so much more goes into being a MOTY than just in ring wrestling.

This is also why I loved it - it put the semi-smarks on edge, told the right story, and despite the questionable direction the finish went, the energy was really high and it kept Brock looking like a monster instead of having him put on a classic old school wrestling match like he used to.

"Three weeks ago on IMPACT WRESTLING, Hulk Hogan gave Austin Aries a choice: To receive a World Title Match at Destination X on July 8, he must relinquish the X-Division Championship. Austin Aries’ counter-proposal to Hogan was “Option C”; that every year at Destination X, the X-Division Champion be given the same World Title Match option. With Austin Aries deciding to take the gamble, a new X-Division champion must be crowned.

Announced this week, the new X-Division Champion will be determined in a one-night tournament at Destination X. This tournament will feature current X-Division stars battling wrestlers from outside IMPACT WRESTLING. Qualifying matches for the outside wrestlers started this past Thursday on IMPACT WRESTLING on Spike TV and continue on the July 5th edition.

At Destination X, eight wrestlers will battle in four single matches in the opening round of the tournament. The four winners will advance to the championship match that evening where the X-Division title will hang in the balance in ULTIMATE X!

Ultimate X is a match unique to the X-Division and features the most death defying moves and moments ever captured inside and above a wrestling ring. Now, with the added value to the X-Division Championship, these brave athletes will do whatever it takes to start their road to destiny; a potential World Championship match at next year’s Destination X!

Current X-Division Stars Entered for Destination X
Zema Ion
Kid Kash
Doug Williams

Outside Wrestlers Qualified for Destination X
Sonjay Dutt
Rashad Cameron"

This is so awesome. Next week there should be 3 more qualifying matches to get the final 3 names. Still hoping for an El Generico appearance. Low-Ki would be really cool to see back as well, but I think he has other commitments he's locked into.

Edit: couldn't resist and went to see the top 5 matches, pleasantly surprised of #1, the last good feud John Cena ever had.

I just had a fucking breakdown seeing this image

5th team announced for the CHIKARA 2012 King of Trios Tournament, featuring the return of Matt Classic!

inFzFOaRoZvRv.jpg

The other 4 teams announced so far;

ibyP0y4WYUx5OB.jpg

ibvrbshUFAtsrE.jpg

iPS8YPKl0KDfi.jpg

iIWrcosaCvaT8.jpg

Strange that Sugar isn't with the Throwbacks this year, but I'm glad to see Matt Classic again - if any of you haven't have the privilege of seeing this true wrestling legend ply his trade, here he is wrestling Jerry 'The King' Lawler from earlier this year;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmcKajvw-c

And the trailer for his awesome shoot interview;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbnSfNN-jZ4

BoboBrazil said:
This is so awesome. Next week there should be 3 more qualifying matches to get the final 3 names. Still hoping for an El Generico appearance. Low-Ki would be really cool to see back as well, but I think he has other commitments he's locked into.

Even if Ki could make it, he's the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion, New Japan wouldn't let him job to anyone.

Funny, I was just watching that in preparation for Cena's return to ladder matches, it's a good match but not as good as I remember it being, suffers from some really odd selling, they do all these big spots that work in multi man matches because the victims have plenty of time to lie dead outside as action continues in the ring, in a single match there is no such luxury, Edge recovers hilariously quick from being shoved off a ladder to the outside through two tables.

Since I was on the ladder match dvd I took the time to rewatch the first MITB for the billionth time and it's just so damn good, for me this is THE ladder match, perfectly paced, they don't overuse elaborate ladder setups or have any table stacks. It's just fast flowing, hard hitting ladder match action where all 6 participants get time to shine.
And while it may be taboo to praises the man these days, Benoit is a master of selling, you'd genuinely believe that the mans arm was broken in this match, he's dragging himself around the ring and up ladders with one hand while screaming like a madman, okay so he was a madman but the point still stands.

Now to check that Cena list and see where the LMS match against Umaga ranks.
Edit: Ranked at 6, good call.

Khrno

What are you talking about? Did you even watch ER or the past 3 months of WWE programming before ER?

Sheamus/Bryan had a great build up by the point when they reached ER, do I even have to explain all the factors involved during the build up, I'm going to assume that you actually watched. Lesnar and Cena had almost no build up, good reasons behind Lesnar motif to go after Cena and Lesnar's punch was great, but the fucking slap by Cena, come on.

Now onto the matches themselves, when I talk about in-ring storytelling I'm not talking about wrestling ability, why you of all people would confuse those two things? Lesnar destroying Cena during 15 minutes was fantastic, but the finish blew it off, that right there stops it from being better than the other 2 matches I mentioned from the same PPV.

Going back to Sheamus/Bryan, the match was so meaningful because it showed how dominant Bryan is in the ring, while Lesnar destroyed Cena by sheer power, Bryan destroyed Sheamus with intensity and wrestling ability, it proved that Bryan 18s loss was a fluke, that he could stand up to Sheamus and take him down, but in the last fall he just got cocky, wanted to show off how better than Sheamus he was, and instead of getting the last fall straight away he went up for a flying headbutt, ****** style, and that's how he lost, not because Sheamus was better, but because in the end Bryan did more than what he should have and let it go onto his head. That's in-ring storytelling at its best, hats-off to whoever was in charge of booking that match.

The pay offs.

- Lesnar/Cena:

BxCWc.jpg

- Sheamus/Bryan: Sheamus is on his way to become a huge face for the company, even if Lawler talks shit, but even if it's another Cena clon, it's better to have variety than just Cena.

While Bryan looked strong as hell and him becoming the #1 contender to the WWE title (even if it was by winning a joke match), meant being a serious threat to Punk.

So yeah, Sheamus/Bryan from ER was the match of the PPV and way better than Lesnar/Cena.

Khrno

And while it may be taboo to praises the man these days, Benoit is a master of selling, you'd genuinely believe that the mans arm was broken in this match, he's dragging himself around the ring and up ladders with one hand while screaming like a madman, okay so he was a madman but the point still stands.

I think in the near future ****** will be acknowledged again by WWE. Vince once compared his case with OJ Simpson, and said "It's not right to pretend he didn't exist. It's one thing to include him as part of a historical perspective, which I believe is OK, and it's another thing to promote him, which is not OK. The situation is very similar to that of O.J. Simpson - despite his controversy, O.J. was still a part of the NFL scene. You can't deny that he existed."

It's not like they have to promote the DVDs with him in the cover or feature him on WWE.com, but he was one of the best wrestlers there has been and his matches is what should be preserved. It'll take some more time though.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think in the near future ****** will be acknowledged again by WWE. Vince once compared his case with OJ Simpson, and said "It's not right to pretend he didn't exist. It's one thing to include him as part of a historical perspective, which I believe is OK, and it's another thing to promote him, which is not OK. The situation is very similar to that of O.J. Simpson - despite his controversy, O.J. was still a part of the NFL scene. You can't deny that he existed."

It's not like they have to promote the DVDs with him in the cover or feature him on WWE.com, but he was one of the best wrestlers there has been and his matches is what should be preserved. It'll take some more time though.
The only problem with that is that there is very little that the WWE does that isn't promotion. Everything that they feature and do is designed to sell something.

"Rubix (aka Jigsaw) won't be the only CHIKARA talent appearing in the TNA X-Division championship tournament. The word making the rounds at TV last night was that TNA was hoping to have some sort of relationship going forward. That will certainly be interesting to follow."

pwinsider.com

YES! YES! YES!

"Rubix (aka Jigsaw) won't be the only CHIKARA talent appearing in the TNA X-Division championship tournament. The word making the rounds at TV last night was that TNA was hoping to have some sort of relationship going forward. That will certainly be interesting to follow."

pwinsider.com

YES! YES! YES!

Wow, that's awesome news - it would be amazing for CHIKARA if they could get some mutually beneficial deal going, TNA guys appearing in CHIKARA and vice-versa, getting the company mentioned on air, etc.

Khrno

The only problem with that is that there is very little that the WWE does that isn't promotion. Everything that they feature and do is designed to sell something.

Yeah but they can sell HHH, Orton, Eddie, Edge, Mysterio or whoever, they just don't have to edit out ****** matches anymore.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but they can sell HHH, Orton, Eddie, Edge, Mysterio or whoever, they just don't have to edit out ****** matches anymore.

Yeah. I hate a historical record that's been tweaked or changed. Ugh.

He should be part of the blu ray bonus matches to keep him tucked away from the more causal and easily offended by the mere sight of him fan, these match compilations are missing out on some of the best with no the no Benoit clause.
They did leave in the 2005 EC that had him in it on the EC compilation with a few commentary tweaks.
I bet all these young Orton fans are wondering just how he got the WHC for the first time, they'll never know the true match that took place and never see Benoit's brutal suicide dive where he chins the barricade.

Aiii

So not worth it
Alot of people can't watch Benoit matches without a sense of dread looming over them. WWE doesn't want people to not buy their shit for fear of having to watch a murderer. I get that.

RBH

pwinsider.com

YES! YES! YES!

Fuck yes.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
People won't even remember who Benoit was in 5 years, so they can put the matches he is on again on the discs.
I don't think you get it, man. It's not simply a matter of the WWE wanting to, but they have to respect the sensibilities of the public. This is a company that felt absolutely betrayed and disgusted by what he did. Many of the people there knew him. It's not simply a matter of PR. They just don't want to include him, and I completely agree. Go on youtube if you want to watch his matches, but they don't want to make any money off of him, which is what they would be doing if they put him on a DVD, even in bonus material.

Khrno

Well yeah, I agree they should be ashamed of what the business did to him. Since it can be argued that the WWE and the world of pro-wrestling are a big part of what happened to him.

I mean, since you are talking about him "betraying" them, like come on, are you serious?

I seemed to have steered us onto a dark path, lets get back on track, Daniel Bryan sells pretty well these days, almost like a non insane follow up to some other guy.

Top Bottom