• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well yeah, I agree they should be ashamed of what the business did to him. Since it can be argued that the WWE and the world of pro-wrestling are a big part of what happened to him.

I mean, since you are talking about him "betraying" them, like come on, are you serious?
I'm sure there are plenty of people in the WWE who helped make him a star, gave him a RR victory that hadn't been done since HBK, put him in the main event of WM XX in MSG (where the WWE was built), let him win the main event over HBK and HHH, win their world title, and for him to do this, I'm sure some in the company who actually knew him and helped him feel "betrayed".

FyreWulff

I think he'll be more acknowledged down the road. But that's well down the road. However, I have no problem with his last run being removed and not acknowledged at all (October 2006 onwards).

I guess my issue is that the older material.. he wasn't a murderer at that point, and erasing him has the side effect of erasing wrestlers as well. I'm fine with commentary edits/ re-records. But going "la la la he never happened" completely seems even more offputting.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think he'll be more acknowledged down the road. But that's well down the road. However, I have no problem with his last run being removed and not acknowledged at all (October 2006 onwards).

I guess my issue is that the older material.. he wasn't a murderer at that point, and erasing him has the side effect of erasing wrestlers as well. I'm fine with commentary edits/ re-records. But going "la la la he never happened" completely seems even more offputting.
Why randomly choose October 2006 as the cutoff?

Yeah...they really need to stop bullying Vickie. Especially now that the weight is gone - not that it was right to do before, but...yeah.
This is 100% right. It's just sexist and stupid. Vickie is a good looking lady. You want to talk about how she's annoying with "Excuse Me!"? Go for it. You want to say she and Dolph are bad people who are only in it for themselves? Fair game. Looks should not play into it.

Khrno

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the WWE who helped make him a star, gave him a RR victory that hadn't been done since HBK, put him in the main event of WM XX in MSG (where the WWE was built), let him win the main event over HBK and HHH, win their world title, and for him to do this, I'm sure some in the company who actually knew him and helped him feel "betrayed".

I think this is a more deeper and complex issue than just "the dude turned evil and betrayed us".

I seemed to have steered us onto a dark path, lets get back on track, Daniel Bryan sells pretty well these days, almost like a non insane follow up to some other guy.

But I'll follow Nocturnowl's example and get back to a brighter topic.

io1ODOY14TAGq.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
People need to understand that the WWE is a company. It would be the same thing if a movie company or a video game company made an absolutely horrible movie or game, and they just never rereleased it again. They have the right to never acknowledge it again. Sure, they can be asked about it, but if they choose to not feature it on their products, or include them in some collection, it's their right to do so.

Benoit is not some athlete that competed on behalf of some city in a legitimate sport that is widely considered part of a public history. This is a company. Charles Manson recorded music too, but if the recording company chooses not to put his album out for profit, they can do so. It's the same thing here. You can watch Benoit matches on youtube, but the WWE doesn't have to do anything with him that they feel may harm the image of their company.

I think this is a more deeper and complex issue than just "the dude turned evil and betrayed us".
Of course, but that's something for the Benoit family to discuss and figure out. The WWE doesn't have to, beyond the wellness policy. They may discuss it in terms of how to prevent it in the future, but they don't have to feature him. They are a company, and they must figure out what's best for their image.

FyreWulff

Why randomly choose October 2006 as the cutoff?

On second review, I'd make the cutoff MVP beating him at Backlash 2007. I was just going by "return from haitus"

Ultimately though, it's up to the WWE. They don't have to let his matches be on DVD if they want.

edit: also, definitely should never be any Benoit DVDs specifically. I'm thinking of PPV/season collections.

Khrno

People need to understand that the WWE is a company. It would be the same thing if a movie company or a video game company made an absolutely horrible movie or game, and they just never rereleased it again. They have the right to never acknowledge it again. Sure, they can be asked about it, but if they choose to not feature it on their products, or include them in some collection, it's their right to do so.

What the fuck dude? Your hate for Benoit seems to seriously cloud your judgment.

I'm done with this discussion.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
On second review, I'd make the cutoff MVP beating him at Backlash 2007. I was just going by "return from haitus"
I still don't understand. You said that his earlier run shouldn't be forgotten because he wasn't a "murderer" then. Was he a murderer at Backlash 2007?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What the fuck dude? Your hate for Benoit seems to seriously cloud your judgment.

I'm done with this discussion.
It has nothing to do with hatred. In fact, I feel like I'm seeing things clearly. My issue here isn't with Benoit, but the right of the WWE to present their product however they feel.

Maybe it's because I view this stuff differently than most people, I don't know. To me, the WWE is like a movie company. Yeah, we all complain (me included) about the "3 month rule" and how they don't acknowledge whatever, but they have the right to do so, if they feel it's in their best interest. I'll give you an example. Sony is coming out with a new Spider Man movie soon that is a reboot that acts like the other movies weren't made. They have that right. I view the WWE in the same category as a movie company, and they can ignore a piece of their history if they want to, whether I like it or not. If Sony made a REALLY bad movie and they wanted to act like the next one had nothing to do with the last, they can do so. The WWE can too. Benoit is a terrible thing that they want to move past from and, at least in their product (in reality and in official corporate proceedings, they should acknowledge what happened and try to prevent it), they can ignore him, if they want to.

No power of July? the month that has brought us such great PPV events as Fully Loaded 2000 and the last 2 MITB ppv events? Plus Kane as WHC, the power of July is strong.

Kaladin

No power of July? the month that has brought us such great PPV events as Fully Loaded 2000 and the last 2 MITB ppv events? Plus Kane as WHC, the power of July is strong.

The Power of August is bringing us Bork vs Triple H. The only power in July lies in Destination X.

Kaladin

Rubix (aka Jigsaw) won't be the only CHIKARA talent appearing in the TNA X-Division championship tournament. The word making the rounds at TV last night was that TNA was hoping to have some sort of relationship going forward. That will certainly be interesting to follow.

Impact Wrestling wins June.

Aiii

So not worth it

The Power of July brings us AJ in the main event (which lets face it, is not true because the MitB match with Cena will be the main event this year) and maybe D-Bry as champ! And hell, maybe even AJ as Divas champ!

But, July will also bring us the worst MitB winner ever in John f'ing Cena and a subsequent WWE Title run of the smiling bastard as well.

So that's a win/lose situation if I ever saw one.

Kaladin

Johnny Gargano/Chuck Taylor vs Akira Tozawa, and the return of YAMATO. DGUSA has July sewn up, as far as I'm concerned.

Austin Aries vs Bobby Roode
AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels (Last Man Standing)
Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle (Bound For Glory Series)

X-Division Championship Tournament
Zema Ion
Kid Kash
Doug Williams
Sonjay Dutt
Rashad Cameron
+ 3 more

w/ 4 qualifying matches + Ultimate X to determine champion

TNA has July.

The Power of August is bringing us Bork vs Triple H. The only power in July lies in Destination X.

July creates eras and ends them, I have faith in July.
No one mention how badly the Punk era was squandered or my argument falls to pieces.

August brings us HHH stroking his ego, Bore Lesnar and a PPV that hasn't lived up to its reputation as the biggest show after WM since like 2002.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Alright, let's get serious for a minute. This is still my favorite (I admit I'm biased) promo from the past decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGrMJShMsE

A promo steeped in absolute kayfabe, long and still interesting, stoked in history, made sense, and was just wonderful. It's not hard to present a character that is essentially a reflection of your real personality and involves things you really feel, but to do the opposite and still make it great, it's fantastic.

Austin Aries vs Bobby Roode
AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels (Last Man Standing)
Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle (Bound For Glory Series)

X-Division Championship Tournament
Zema Ion
Kid Kash
Doug Williams
Sonjay Dutt
Rashad Cameron
+ 3 more

w/ 4 qualifying matches + Ultimate X to determine champion

TNA has July.

Eh, it'll be good, but other than Aries vs Roode and seeing a few more indy guys in the X-Division, I'm not all that excited - ESPECIALLY by Style vs Daniels. Feels like I've seen that match about a dozen times since 2002...oh wait, I have! Angle vs Joe is sure to be good though, but I think there's a good chance that, whoever has the belt come July, the Tozawa match will end up better than most.

Also, this happens in July;

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag TeamChampionship Title Three-Way Ladder Match
Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno & Stupefied - Champions) vs. Future Shock (Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly - Challengers) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Challengers)

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen (Champion) vs. Willie Mack (Challenger)

Singles Match
"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Sami Callihan

And this;

iMPuexEllnary.jpg

Alright, let's get serious for a minute. This is still my favorite (I admit I'm biased) promo from the past decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGrMJShMsE

A promo steeped in absolute kayfabe, long and still interesting, stoked in history, made sense, and was just wonderful. It's not hard to present a character that is essentially a reflection of your real personality and involves things you really feel, but to do the opposite and still make it great, it's fantastic.
Best promo in years alongside Punk's rant, but you already knew I agreed.

Punk has been on the feud and storyline of the year since May, so that only validates your argument.
Well there was that stumbling point when they had him lose the belt to Del Rio and then Kevin "make things cool again" Nash and the COO interrupted.

Kaladin

Eh, it'll be good, but other than Aries vs Roode and seeing a few more indy guys in the X-Division, I'm not all that excited - ESPECIALLY by Style vs Daniels. Feels like I've seen that match about a dozen times since 2002...oh wait, I have! Angle vs Joe is sure to be good though, but I think there's a good chance that, whoever has the belt come July, the Tozawa match will end up better than most.

The X-Division stuff will be good, Aries/Roode will be great and even though it is done a bit much Styles/Daniels will be good because it is a LMS and those two always work well together. Joe/Angle will be good but I wonder if the ten minute time limit will hurt that match.

And this;

iMPuexEllnary.jpg

Really excited to see this match, but I doubt I'll get to see it till August since that event is late July.

Joe/Angle will be good but I wonder if the ten minute time limit will hurt that match.

It may do, but it would be great to see those guys use the more compact format to deliver a fast-paced, hard-hitting match - especially if a time-limit draw becomes a factor. 10 minutes of Joe & Angle beating the crap out of each other could be awesome, is what I'm saying :p

djsandman said:
Really excited to see this match, but I doubt I'll get to see it till August since that event is late July.

True, but we can always hope for one of SMV's miraculous 24hr DVD production turn-around's. Even ROH have got it down to a month now, whereas Gabe seems to think VOD replaces the need for timely DVD releases - the last DGUSA DVD released was from November, and the last EVOLVE DVD from January!

The cap only gets removed after your videos get enough views and your channel gets plenty of subs.

You can verify a brand new account to remove the cap, but you have to enter your mobile number and get a code to enter from a txt they send you.

krae_man

20120622_Light_Cenas_Greatest_Matches_homepage.jpg

I'm not linking because this is Not Safe For Sanity.

Edit: couldn't resist and went to see the top 5 matches, pleasantly surprised of #1, the last good feud John Cena ever had.

#1 John Cena vs. Edge: Unforgiven 2006 (Sept. 17, 2006)

At least they got #1 and #2 right. The rest of the list is pretty much Cena Wins LOL crap however.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The cap only gets removed after your videos get enough views and your channel gets plenty of subs.

Nah man, my company youtube has jack shit in the way of subs and views and quickly had the limit removed. I'm talkin quicker than shit.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Punk has been on the feud and storyline of the year since May, so that only validates your argument.
Come on, Khrno, if you're talking about the current AJ stuff, this isn't a Punk feud. Hell, I can't even remember the last time Punk did or said anything of consequence in this whole stuff, storyline wise, in months. Unless, of course, you think goat face is substantial.

Punk/Nash/HHH took up a lot of time, then it was Jericho/Punk that started off well, then became terrible. Bryan/Punk started off well, then it became Kane/AJ, and now it's AJ/Bryan featuring Punk.

Punk doesn't matter.

Top Bottom