• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Khrno

Smackdown was fantastic, focusing on AJ and Bryan, 1000 Raw videos and MitB qualifier matches.

Only disappointment was the outcome of the MitB tag-team qualifier match.

Aiii

So not worth it
You really think
Cody is out of the match after that finish? Come on, he'll get another shot on Tuesday and win.

Khrno

But now we'll have to deal with fucking Santino.

rlEGA.gif

I mean, come on. I don't want to see anything else like that.

And poor Swagger, I feel for the guy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Spoilers mate. Think of the people that still want to watch Smackdown.

Couldn't care that much, I sorta enjoyed him at Elimination Chamber

Striker

Santino and his character is terrible. I rather watch a full hour of Scotty Too Hotty.

The whole 'I mess up names on purpose and add an awful accent to them' gimmick is four years old. No change of it since his ordeal with Beth. :|

Khrno

I like that Kikutaro video.

I would say, the main difference is that in WWE they put a comedy wrestler in a serious match, the referees don't take part of the comedy, look at the gif I posted above, it just looks bad compared to the Kikutaro clips.

Yeah, it always seems that their thought process for guys like Santino is "wouldn't it be funny if we had him beat *random serious wrestler we aren't pushing at the moment*?" - comedy wrestlers should feud with comedy wrestlers, and rarely compete with, let alone beat, normal wrestlers. Like Kikutaro - he'll have comedy matches against other comedy acts like Ebessan III, Konaka Pale One & Kuishinbo Kamen, that aren't only great matches, but are also funny. However, if he's wrestling say, someone like Naomichi Marufuji, then he might confuse Marufuji with his trickery and nonsense, but mostly he's just going to get his ass kicked. And it will still be funnier than anything WWE tries to pass off as comedy wrestling.

*edit, while I'm at, Konaka Pale One is actually awesome;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMYZzlGdsHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSyVtyXnd8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfA1VHqgrn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBwEhpZfc9c

Aiii

So not worth it
Comedy wrestlers work well with serious wrestlers as long as they can switch from comedy to serious wrestling mid-match. Santino's Cobra is the shittest finisher ever, nobody believes that shit. Use the Cobra as a set-up for an actual finishing move and at least the guy can be a believable opponent.

That is all that's needed I'd reckon, but hey, who am I.

Best lol-moment of Smackdown: http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6211/vlcsnap2012062915h21m13.png

D-Bryan/AJ gif from Smackdown; http://i.minus.com/io1ODOY14TAGq.gif

Comedy wrestlers work well with serious wrestlers as long as they can switch from comedy to serious wrestling mid-match. Santino's Cobra is the shittest finisher ever, nobody believes that shit. Use the Cobra as a set-up for an actual finishing move and at least the guy can be a believable opponent.

I agree - if a guy whose act is primarily comedy is a good enough wrestler, and knows when and where to shed his comedy persona, much like Colt Cabana does so well, then I have no problems seeing guys like that in serious matches, but it seems that WWE have very little desire to do that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I miss those crowd reactions to even the lowest of wrestlers.

The crowd is half of the fun when it comes to Attitude-era. If you strip that away, it ain't so good.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The crowd is half of the fun when it comes to Attitude-era. If you strip that away, it ain't so good.

It's amazing how just about anyone who didn't suck got massive pops.

Also seeing this makes me wish I got to go to an Attitude era show. My dad only took me to a freaking house show in nose bleeds =(. Was such a huge fan and I never got to properly see a show live.

Aiii

So not worth it

Also seeing this makes me wish I got to go to an Attitude era show. My dad only took me to a freaking house show in nose bleeds =(. Was such a huge fan and I never got to properly see a show live.

I've been watching wrestling for 20 years and have never been able to go to a single wrestling show. So don't feel bad :)

Hoping to go to Smackdown Live Tour in Brussels this year though, just have to convince some people to come along.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I've only been to TV show recordings - but never a house show. I've wanted to for ages - see the wrestling I want to, without time constraints or a crazy schedule, or strict adherence to story lines... I just want to be entertained!

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, there was bad things back then as well. Very, very bad things that I would rather forget. Many failed gimicks, segments that sucked donkey balls, and promo's that were as wooden as an oak tree.

But still, love me some attitude era.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've been watching wrestling for 20 years and have never been able to go to a single wrestling show. So don't feel bad :)

Hoping to go to Smackdown Live Tour in Brussels this year though, just have to convince some people to come along.

I've only been to TV show recordings - but never a house show. I've wanted to for ages - see the wrestling I want to, without time constraints or a crazy schedule, or strict adherence to story lines... I just want to be entertained!

Only show I've been to was the go home show to Summerslam last year. Was a ton of fun and I still can't believe I actually got on TV during Punks contract signing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, D'Lo with the chest protector and title is prime D'Lo. I love it. X-Pac, well...your mileage may vary.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you compare this King to the current King it REALLY shows that the guy needs to retire sooner rather then later.

Striker

Stream commentary: "Listen to that, a Chyna chant!"
2012 WWE commentary: (crowds chanting for Ziggler) "Listen to the WWE Universe™ chanting for Sheamus!"

-

Loved D'Lo's Sky High.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you compare this King to the current King it REALLY shows that the guy needs to retire sooner rather then later.

King's even admitted he hates it. At least he was a character back in the late 90s...

Yeah...they really need to stop bullying Vickie. Especially now that the weight is gone - not that it was right to do before, but...yeah.

Considering how few heels get such treatment from King on commentary these days i'm almost inclined to assume King has some sort of vendetta against her.
Must be too old for his tastes.

Back then everyone had a character, everyone had a storyline, and you had Jim Ross on commentary getting over these different characters. Stephanie has really ruined the company as head of creative.

Plus back then you still somewhat had territories and other promotions like ECW and WCW, where wrestlers could develop themselves and their characters before coming to WWE. Now everyone is from a cookie cutter mold down in FCW.

Striker

Back then everyone had a character, everyone had a storyline, and you had Jim Ross on commentary getting over these different characters. Stephanie has really ruined the company as head of creative.
Not only that, matches weren't 2-3 minutes like half are now. How often are Diva or regular ol' matches on Raw 2-3 minutes long? Too much talk, and sometimes it's not even about a storyline. :lol

Ithil

Plus back then you still somewhat had territories and other promotions like ECW and WCW, where wrestlers could develop themselves and their characters before coming to WWE. Now everyone is from a cookie cutter mold down in FCW.

That's not really true, considering the hottest prospects from FCW are probably Dean Ambrose, Antonio Cesaro and Seth Rollins, all of whom have been in FCW but spent most of their time in numerous other organizations.

Aiii

So not worth it
They are changing that though. They put on multiple 15-ish minute matches on Raw and Smackdown nowadays, divas matches on PPV's actually go anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes and they're building a tag-team division with storylines.

They do seem to have intention to change things for the better at WWE right now.

Top Bottom