• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Toa TAK

Banned
Naw JP3 is awesome. It's short and has plenty of bursts of action. Weak finale against the Spinosaurus, though.

Jawmuncher

While to me The Lost World is the better movie, JP3 was always more fun for me. The shorter length and pace to the action scenes work well to me. My biggest complaint is really just the whole Kirby aspect to it. Wish there had been another reason to get these people back on the island.

JP3:
Better pacing
No fuckin' INGEN idiots
No Kelly (Eric was fine)
No gymnastics
Better attention on and development of the raptors, which TLW gave zilch to
Lighter but still gritty enough cinematography, I could see shit
No Malcolm I told you so'ing throughout is a bonus
Ending, while rushed, had a more clever and thoughtful climax w/relevancy to the series overall

TLW is basically too dour for the sake of being dour, has a whole showboat of terribly moronic characters -- I don't count the Kirby's as they're just normal folk without training/experience -- a lot of shitty dialogue, truly deplorable moments (the raptor dream is stupid but it was quick and at least just a dream), the entire climax is a gigantic wad of vigorous suck, the opening with the British people is so bad, and Ludlow might be the dumbest fucking character out there.

JP3 comes and goes with decent action, better velociraptor involvement, characters that are KINDA dumb but a "normal" kind of dumb, better climax (even if it's just because it's NOT San Diego) and generally doesn't annoy the piss out of me. TLW is a cynical cash grab, Spielberg didn't even want to do it and doesn't even really like it. JP3 feels like it was made with some fun behind the camera.

Neither are great movies but there's one I'd watch over the other every time :p

Fuchsdh

JP3:
Better pacing
No fuckin' INGEN idiots
No Kelly (Eric was fine)
No gymnastics
Better attention on and development of the raptors, which TLW gave zilch to
Lighter but still gritty enough cinematography, I could see shit
No Malcolm I told you so'ing throughout is a bonus
Ending, while rushed, had a more clever and thoughtful climax w/relevancy to the series overall

TLW is basically too dour for the sake of being dour, has a whole showboat of terribly moronic characters -- I don't count the Kirby's as they're just normal folk without training/experience -- a lot of shitty dialogue, truly deplorable moments (the raptor dream is stupid but it was quick and at least just a dream), the entire climax is a gigantic wad of vigorous suck, the opening with the British people is so bad, and Ludlow might be the dumbest fucking character out there.

JP3 comes and goes with decent action, better velociraptor involvement, characters that are KINDA dumb but a "normal" kind of dumb, better climax (even if it's just because it's NOT San Diego) and generally doesn't annoy the piss out of me. TLW is a cynical cash grab, Spielberg didn't even want to do it and doesn't even really like it. JP3 feels like it was made with some fun behind the camera.

Neither are great movies but there's one I'd watch over the other every time :p

Yep, this is might thought too. Characters being idiots who shouldn't be idiots is what kills my enjoyment faster than anything, and so Sarah Harding being some brilliant animal behaviorist and yet is directly responsible for most people getting chomped in that film destroys it utterly.

strafer

This stuff always made me hungry

JurassicPark_341Pyxurz.jpg

IMO Kelly was WAYYY better than Eric, but that Gymnastics scene? Yeah, it's the worst scene in the franchise for sure.

I suppose JP3 is an easier casual watch, but the movie just annoys me, so I find it far more grueling. It does have that fantastic aviary sequence though, which is certainly worth the price of admission.. and every scene with the raptors is great.

Timeaisis

Hey, I didn't know we had a JP thread.

JP >>>>>> TLW > JP3 = JW

JP3 wasn't that awful. It had some inspired stuff (like the phone and the ptero cage bit), but it dragged a lot. Like a lot. And the new T-Rex stand-in was bad not T-Rex. It was also an awkward as hell way to get them back to the Isla Sorna. At least JP2 had a T-Rex in San Diego and Roland Tembo.

JP1 is like top 5 movies ever made for me, the rest are like not even on my top 100 haha.

DINO DNA!

As much as I didn't mind TLW back in the day, despite it being so different from the book, I've grown to hate it because of how dumb Sarah Harding is.

She's constantly contradicting her "words of wisdom" with some moronic choices that causes some of the carnage.

Edit: I'll list some:
"Not here to interact" *touches baby stego and takes pictures. Snatches baby trex (twice) and bandages it up.*

"Their sense of smell is super awesome" *continues wearing blood soaked jacket. leaves it out to "dry" aslo as mentioned above- touches baby dinos.*

All of the above lead to serious attacks and a show of threat from the dinos. Nice going, pro.

Amalthea

Banned
JP3>>>>TLW Don't go in the tall grass-scene>>>>>>Godzilla 98<<<<JP>>>>JW cut scene where Claire smears herself full of shit>>>>JP3 The DNA Factor GBA

strafer

I just can't, man. Eric was pretty low key and I don't remember him having any kind of bad dialogue or being annoying. And he wasn't involved in the worst scene in the series :p

but that scene on the bridge tho

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggh

and his voice breaking all the time

nope noep nope

Kelly at least tried to make dinner,.

but that scene on the bridge tho

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggh

and his voice breaking all the time

See those things don't annoy me at all. I guess certain people are more touchy when it comes to kids in movies. I base my opinions on the things they do and say. Kelly did things that were obnoxious, Eric didn't. His voice breaking isn't really something he could help given his age, I can't hate on something that's totally normal :p

Like Zach and Gray? Didn't bother me at all. Tim and Lex annoy me a lot more.

strafer

See those things don't annoy me at all. I guess certain people are more touchy when it comes to kids in movies. I base my opinions on the things they do and say. Kelly did things that were obnoxious, Eric didn't. His voice breaking isn't really something he could help given his age, I can't hate on something that's totally normal :p

Like Zach and Gray? Didn't bother me at all. Tim and Lex annoy me a lot more.

Then I guess we're different. Eric is the only one of the kids that bothered me.

Then I guess we're different. Eric is the only one of the kids that bothered me.

I thought Eric was pretty smart and had good scenes with Grant. I liked him enough, but w/e

It is what it is strafe

I guess maybe one of my reasons is that I thought it was unnecessary for Malcolm to have a kid and if you took Kelly out completely nothing would change apart from like, her being there and there'd be no raptor kick which would have astronomically improved that raptor standoff. Eric at least was the driving reason behind the story.

strafer

I thought Eric was pretty smart and had good scenes with Grant. I liked him enough, but w/e

It is what it is strafe

I guess maybe one of my reasons is that I thought it was unnecessary for Malcolm to have a kid and if you took Kelly out completely nothing would change apart from like, her being there and there'd be no raptor kick which would have astronomically improved that raptor standoff. Eric at least was the driving reason behind the story.

I should also point out that I don't dislike the actor. I enjoyed him in Mean Creek.

It's just that in JP3 he rubbed me the wrong way.

He was the douchebag in The Sixth Sense too lol

Yep, this is might thought too. Characters being idiots who shouldn't be idiots is what kills my enjoyment faster than anything, and so Sarah Harding being some brilliant animal behaviorist and yet is directly responsible for most people getting chomped in that film destroys it utterly.

She literally leaves her bloody clothes dangling in the tent like "free food over here"

Dumb as fuck. There's not a single character I like in that movie. Malcolm isn't even the same character. Eddie was cool but OF COURSE since they had something cool they had to get right of it halfway through the movie, leaving us with not Malcolm, his kid, his moronic girlfriend thing and Vince Vaughn.

I will never, ever, ever understand how anyone can take issue with Lost World's characters being dumb, and then enjoy Jurassic World. There's about a hundred times more "dumb people doing dumb shit" in Jurassic World than the rest of the series combined. It's schlocky horror film levels.

I appreciate JPIII for being a dumb movie that knows it's dumb, as opposed to TLW and JW that are dumb movies that don't know they're just as dumb (if not even dumber at parts).

strafer

The T-rex attack in TLW is brilliant.

The Sarah on the glass is so fucking tense. I saw that shit in the theater.

Fuchsdh

I will never, ever, ever understand how anyone can take issue with Lost World's characters being dumb, and then enjoy Jurassic World. There's about a hundred times more "dumb people doing dumb shit" in Jurassic World than the rest of the series combined. It's schlocky horror film levels.

I don't think there's anything on the same level, aside from the Masrani bit. You've got greedy shortsighted park handlers, and stupid kids. You can argue the *entire film* is more brain-dead, but I don't think it's the characters themselves that factor into that.

I don't think there's anything on the same level, aside from the Masrani bit. You've got greedy shortsighted park handlers, and stupid kids. You can argue the *entire film* is more brain-dead, but I don't think it's the characters themselves that factor into that.

I don't think you can just nullify the stupidity of characters like Hoskins and the kids (well, Zach specifically) though. You can't just say "greed" and pass off the fact that Hoskins may literally be stupidity incarnate, or "well, kids" to pass off a 16-year-old who would be the all-time recipient of a Darwin award. But it's not even just them anyway. Hey, we're going to GO INTO THE FUCKING DINOSAUR CAGE without CHECKING THE FUCKING GPS TRACKER. Like... What? You're worried it's missing, so the first thing you DON'T do is check on the map where the fuck it is? And that's the kind of stupidity that without it, literally the entire movie wouldn't have happened, which is absolutely the worst. Basically the entire adult cast signed off on that too. Owen, the only one who ever shows some semblance of intelligence, is the one who actually goes in!

Then there's off-screen stupid actions. Like "What happened to the other one?" "She ate it." The idea of the scene is supposed to be "OH MUCH SCARY". But I'm like... So your park is struggling for money, so you sink millions of dollars in R&D into two animals that are half-raptor... only to keep them contained together? 20 years after you found out raptors are pretty fucking likely to kill each other?

And then, yeah. The massive waste of Irrfan Khan.

And Claire being Claire.

I could try to explain I guess but I doubt it'd get any of us anywhere. I can personally think the characters in JW are fine but not so much in TLW. Perspectives, subjectivity, no idea. Opinions. I do vehemently despise the characters in TLW but they do not bother me in JW. The reasons you may think they're dumb aren't things I feel like are dumb, personally.

^ shot composition alone is enough to bump Lost World to the best sequel for me. Spielberg has always had an eye for shots like no other. The shot of the raptors parting the grass will always be one of my all-time favorites.

I want to appreciate that stuff, but just about every scene has something I strongly dislike-- the raptors in the grass is cool, but then you get the goofy wide eyed guy screaming. I just, like really hate it haha :p

The shots are really good though. Just a shame about pretty much everything else aside from the music.

Looking at the camp gif made me think of the Lego game again and then I started thinking... why are there no realistic mods for it on PC?

I would triple dip if there were such a thing. Google hasn't come up with anything.

Original voiceactor was against the idea of JW.

I've wondered that too.

Hahaha nice.
It would've been perfect in the last shot.

Honestly, they probably didn't even know they didn't

I remember when the first trailer for the Telltale game hit, and it had some other roar instead of the real rex noises. There was something of a backlash to that IIRC (obviously it was fixed).

strafer

Hahaha nice.
It would've been perfect in the last shot.

I remember when the first trailer for the Telltale game hit, and it had some other roar instead of the real rex noises. There was something of a backlash to that IIRC (obviously it was fixed).

Was it? I thought the roar in that game sounded nothing like the movie.

Fuchsdh

The roar in that trailer is literally THE reason I never bought the game. If they *did* fix it, I'm in.

Jurassic Park was a fun game to play once and move on. The QTEs and puzzles are generally stupid, the story alternatively engaging and tedious to pad out the gameplay. There are flashes of some really solid gameplay here and there (there's a point where you have to figure out how to get out of this crossroads, and I didn't realize initially that there's actually a time limit before the dinos catch you—really tense and worked great.)

bengraven

I never realized there were two T-rexes in that scene at the river camp.

ALSO: as much as I love the T-rex roar, it still sounds really fake and always has. It sounds like an artificial horn.

^ shot composition alone is enough to bump Lost World to the best sequel for me. Spielberg has always had an eye for shots like no other. The shot of the raptors parting the grass will always be one of my all-time favorites.

The opening with the ocean and the wine bottles coming into frame is still God-tier.

Top Bottom