• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Boem

I for one, am ready for Jurassic Evil World

Why think so small.

Jurassic Park -> Jurassic World -> Jurassic Galaxy. As long as we're doing all these reboots/remakes of classic movies, let's get that Spielberg/Lucas Cinematic Universe going.

I would be okay with seeing Chewbacca riding a T-Rex while fighting Jaws.

Hold on to your butt. Since the park angle is pretty well covered at this point, where do you think they're going to go in movie 5?

...it may still be on the table.

I said from the very beginning that Jurassic World felt like a prequel to that monstrosity.

Thankfully, I really don't think it sounds like J. A. Bayona will be pursuing that angle.

Why think so small.

Jurassic Park -> Jurassic World -> Jurassic Galaxy. As long as we're doing all these reboots/remakes of classic movies, let's get that Spielberg/Lucas Cinematic Universe going.

I would be okay with seeing Chewbacca riding a T-Rex while fighting Jaws.

We still need more build-up for Jurassic Galaxy. Next up is Jurassic World 2: Blue's Island.

jurassic.png

Fuchsdh

Hold on to your butt. Since the park angle is pretty well covered at this point, where do you think they're going to go in movie 5?

...it may still be on the table.

They can do whatever they want, and it might even be a good movie, or at least a good dumb movie, but at this point it doesn't seem like it'll be a Jurassic Park film to me.

But then again trying to create cinematic franchises out of films with limited thematic potential is a pretty big wall they've got to deal with.

But then again trying to create cinematic franchises out of films with limited thematic potential is a pretty big wall they've got to deal with.

The fact that we're getting an absolute minimum of 6 Jurassic Park movies (and let's be real, it's not stopping at 6) is just nuts to me.

They can do whatever they want, and it might even be a good movie, or at least a good dumb movie, but at this point it doesn't seem like it'll be a Jurassic Park film to me.

JP is ultimately changing from a movie about dinosaurs to dinosaurs in society.

Fuchsdh

JP is ultimately changing from a movie about dinosaurs to dinosaurs in society.

I think what ultimately bummed me about Jurassic World was that in pre-release stuff they focused on the ruined park contrasted with the new one and the push for novelty and how dinosaurs were becoming "stale", and neither of those themes I thought got adequately explored... felt like the movie was just another example of studio handwaving "okay here's the stuff we have to get out of the way so we can have our clean slate to do what we *really* wanna' do in the next movie."

how dinosaurs were becoming "stale"

The entire concept of dinosaurs being stale is perhaps the least believable concept in film history by the way. Like, I'd more readily believe Toy Story is a true story. Pretty sure that shit would explain how I always lost my toys. The fuckers ran around and did shit! Attack of the Killer Tomatoes? I'll buy that, those things seem pretty fucking vicious and we've been callously murdering them for years in heinous ways. Slicing, chopping, dicing, sun drying, BOILING. Meagan Fox would fuck Louis Stevens? Why the hell not, he's funny and uh... Something? I mean... He's got... Yeah, whatever, still. But people getting bored of the only dinosaur zoo in the world after a few years? People getting bored of mother fucking dinosaurs ever? Millions of people still go to hundreds of normal zoos with boring shit like tigers every year. OH LOOK, IT'S LIKE MY CAT SPARKLES BUT BIGGER, OOOOH. People still pay to look at molds of dead dinosaurs. Not even actual dead dinosaurs! FAKE dead dinosaurs! And they don't even move and shit.

Then we get Jurassic 64, then Jurassic Sunshine. And THEN we can have Jurassic Galaxy.

Not to mention the made for TV low budget movies Jurassic Land and Jurassic Land 2: The Six Golden Embryos.

Personally I'm pumped for "Jurassic is Missing".

Snaku

Banned
The entire concept of dinosaurs being stale is perhaps the least believable concept in film history by the way. Like, I'd more readily believe Toy Story is a true story. Pretty sure that shit would explain how I always lost my toys. The fuckers ran around and did shit! Attack of the Killer Tomatoes? I'll buy that, those things seem pretty fucking vicious and we've been callously murdering them for years in heinous ways. Slicing, chopping, dicing, sun drying, BOILING. Meagan Fox would fuck Louis Stevens? Why the hell not, he's funny and uh... Something? I mean... He's got... Yeah, whatever, still. But people getting bored of the only dinosaur zoo in the world after a few years? People getting bored of mother fucking dinosaurs ever? Millions of people still go to hundreds of normal zoos with boring shit like tigers every year. OH LOOK, IT'S LIKE MY CAT SPARKLES BUT BIGGER, OOOOH. People still pay to look at molds of dead dinosaurs. Not even actual dead dinosaurs! FAKE dead dinosaurs! And they don't even move and shit.

It may have been the concept they were trying to develop in preproduction, but really the only person disinterested in the dinosaurs in the movie was Claire. Even Zach was getting into it after the Mosasaur show. Everyone visiting the park looked like they were having a great time.

It may have been the concept they were trying to develop in preproduction, but really the only person disinterested in the dinosaurs in the movie was Claire. Even Zach was getting into it after the Mosasaur show. Everyone visiting the park looked like they were having a great time.

Even though it's underdeveloped, it is part of the core premise. It's said flat-out that was why the Indominous was created, to counteract flagging interest.

Fuchsdh

Even though it's underdeveloped, it is part of the core premise. It's said flat-out that was why the Indominous was created, to counteract flagging interest.

That didn't read unbelievable to me, that read as "capitalism strikes again". They even mention when Claire's giving her spiel to the bigwigs they're doing fine. But whenever they add new attractions, attendance is goosed, so they decide they're gonna' go big.

Also, to me the "believability" doesn't factor in that much if it has a thematic purpose. We're pretty well established at this point a lot of dinosaurs flat-out don't look like they do in film. But I think there would have been some great thematic territory about "mastering nature" like Hammond envisioned, giving people what they wanted... and that still not being enough, pushing them to hubristic new highs.

The thing is, in reality a Jurassic Park/World would remain 100% at capacity for decades, with enormous waiting lists and tickets reselling online for tens of thousands. They'd be pulling the Disney Parks approach of constantly increasing ticket prices just to cut down on demand, and demand would increase anyway. So there's really not any way to frame it where the idea makes any sense.

Regardless, even though the plot-point it did stand out to me as lol-worthy, my post was a dumb joke more than anything and I don't mean to turn it into an actual back-and-forth. I'm not actually seriously enraged by it or anything, just poking fun at a silly setup. :p

Hollywood Reporter did a great piece with Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy & Frank Marshall

On Spielbergs JW involvement & hiring Colin Trevorrow:

SPIELBERG I was very involved in breaking the story, working on the script with [director Colin Trevorrow] and [writer Derek Connolly]. I was not on the set, but I watched dailies every day. If I felt something about the dailies, I would send a note to Colin directly. But Colin was doing a great job; you could tell by the rushes. I didn't even find Colin, Frank did.

KATHLEEN KENNEDY Well … I …

SPIELBERG Oh — Kathy. Sorry. Anyway, Kathy told Frank, and Frank told me.

KENNEDY I saw [Trevorrow's debut movie] Safety Not Guaranteed when I was looking for who was going to direct [Star Wars:] Episode 7. Then when Frank and Steven were looking for a director, and I had already decided on J.J. [Abrams], I said, "Hey, I know this is going to be off the wall and you're not going to immediately think this young director could do this movie, but I've come to the realization he is the real deal, and he could handle it."

FRANK MARSHALL Then I cold-called him. I looked at his movie and thought he definitely knew what he was doing.

SPIELBERG I looked at his movie and thought it was really good, but I wasn't convinced until the last scene 'cause that film could have gone two ways. When this [character] who I thought was certifiably insane actually invented something that could travel through time, that crystallized the choice that it had to be Colin to do Jurassic World.

On 'who's in charge' with Jurassic now:

So when you have Jurassic World, I assume you feel pretty possessive?

SPIELBERG No, I don't. I honestly don't feel possessive at all. I think Colin feels possessive now — and he should. I passed the torch to Colin.

You really feel that way?

SPIELBERG I absolutely do. He's the guy who has to feel possessive.

KENNEDY Don't you feel that? I mean, I think it's all about the joy that comes from the ability to keep it going and keep audiences entertained.

MARSHALL It's what you did with Star Wars now.

On JA Bayona:

MARSHALL We spent a lot of time with Colin. We're doing that on [the next] Jurassic, too, with Juan Antonio [Bayona]. Kathy and I have spent a lot of time with Juan Antonio over the years. We had talked about him doing Jurassic World, but he has a long process for production.

SPIELBERG We had been very impressed with his Naomi Watts movie about the tsunami [The Impossible]. You've got to pick the right directors, and that's what Kathy has done so brilliantly on the Star Wars series. Rian Johnson and Colin are the two best directors who could be doing Episode 8 and 9. And that's the whole key. I think Harry Potter had a huge infusion of a second life when Alfonso Cuaron did No. 3. He changed the paradigm of Harry Potter and gave it another six years just based on the art he brought to the third movie.

Check out this LEGO statue of Echo from JW. It's on display at Dinosaur State Park here in CT. Took a trip there for Father's day. (Funny how I saw the official JP raptor on mother's day)

I wish I got a pic of the sign next to it with Jeff Goldblum and a feathered raptor that provided your typical "...while the raptors in Jurassic World blablabla, they were actually much smaller and had feathers (etc)". It's the only reason I knew it was Echo. Otherwise, I pegged it as a Jurassic inspired raptor design.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Those are great. Would've been neat to see those orb-things zip through in that monorail structure. I do wish they kept in the destroyed animatronic. I mean, I get why they didn't use it, but for someone who wouldn't take offensive or whatever to it, would've made a great little scene (really, it should've been a Spinosaurus :p) His work on Jungle Book look great too!

I also have to say that I'm surprised with how long the JW brand has carried with merch. Christmas had tree ornaments, and even now I'm STILL finding the toys on shelves (not clearanced) and colouring books and things like new bedding. I can still buy the fruit snacks too because I enjoy those :) Usually movies don't really extend their marketing out THIS long unless insanly popular. I guess JW just keeps going?

Jurassic World was ripe with so many incredible ideas and vision, shame it was held back by the constraints of film run time lol

That movie could have had like 2 hours devoted to just checking out the park and attractions without anything bad happening and I would have been okay with that.

strafer

Jurassic World was ripe with so many incredible ideas and vision, shame it was held back by the constraints of film run time lol

That movie could have had like 2 hours devoted to just checking out the park and attractions without anything bad happening and I would have been okay with that.

or chris pratt making sexual jokes

Currently watching JW (for probably the 3rd time in a little over a week because my 16 month old is obsessed with dinosaurs, no exag). Man, I love the I-Rex cg. That initial escape with Pratt under the truck is animatronic-like wizardry.

Would love to see some of those concept art ideas realized in some form in future films.

I also have to say that I'm surprised with how long the JW brand has carried with merch. Christmas had tree ornaments, and even now I'm STILL finding the toys on shelves (not clearanced) and colouring books and things like new bedding. I can still buy the fruit snacks too because I enjoy those :) Usually movies don't really extend their marketing out THIS long unless insanly popular. I guess JW just keeps going?

It's funny, I've been thinking the same thing.

bengraven

I need to buy some toys before it's too late. Money has been tight the last couple years and kid just isn't into dinosaurs.

strafer

This sounds pretty cool

As Samuel L. Jackson's character said in Steven Spielberg's 1993 film "Jurassic Park," hold on to your butts. On Nov. 13, the Nashville Symphony will perform John Williams' score to the blockbuster movie.

As the symphony (conducted by Sarah Hicks) plays, the film — based on Michael Crichton's best-selling science fiction novel about a theme park filled with cloned dinosaurs — will be broadcast in high definition on a giant screen inside the Schermerhorn Symphony Center. This concert is the North American premiere of "Jurassic Park in Concert."

Tickets are on sale to symphony subscribers; sales open to the general public July 22.

Jawmuncher

Is the one in Florida the exact same? and is it still there?

The LA ride if I recall has a bit more than the FL one. They're both underwhelming and needing of some updates though. I went on it awhile back and was so disappointed that I had waited so many years for that. I do say had I rode it when I was a kid or when the ride came out, I probably would have loved it.

I honestly want the entire Jurassic Park section to be redone and feel more like the park. Pretty much what they did with Harry Potter.

strafer

The LA ride if I recall has a bit more than the FL one. They're both underwhelming and needing of some updates though. I went on it awhile back and was so disappointed that I had waited so many years for that. I do say had I rode it when I was a kid or when the ride came out, I probably would have loved it.

I honestly want the entire Jurassic Park section to be redone and feel more like the park. Pretty much what they did with Harry Potter.

I read in one of the youtube comments that they planned on having Explorers you could sit in and then the T-rex will come and attack or whatever.

They should do that.

On one hand I want them to completely overhaul the Jurassic Park sections. On the other hand, I know that would mean making it into a Jurassic World section. T_T

Top Bottom