• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

strafer

For when the first trailer or pictures for Jurassic World 2 hits.

LK9YJE7.gif

I actually think it's gonna be good. Bayona is fantastic, and regardless of what one thinks of Jurassic World, I think Bayona is going to do something different that may likely even reach out to those who didn't care much for the former.

I loved Jurassic World, so I'm probably gonna be a-ok in this situation. Hopefully we get some information at Comic-con.

I've yet to watch a Bayona movie but from what I've seen and heard I already have far more faith in him and JW2 than I ever did in Trevorrow and JW. Will definitely check out A Monster Calls.

Also, WTF is going on with Liam Neeson's uh... edges... in the intro to the trailer? lol

Fuchsdh

I've yet to watch a Bayona movie but from what I've seen and heard I already have far more faith in him and JW2 than I ever did in Trevorrow and JW. Will definitely check out A Monster Calls.

Also, WTF is going on with Liam Neeson's uh... edges... in the intro to the trailer? lol

Looks like they had a bad key or something, or else the editor was incompetent with performing the key. They probably ended up with flickering "crispy" edges so they choked the hell out of his matte, cutting off bits of him.

IMDB (I know) has seen a recent influx of crew listings for the Jurassic World sequel.. most are from the London area with a work history at Pinewood.

Of note, Andy Nicholson is listed as the Production Designer. He's worked on films such as Gravity, The Bourne Ultimatum and Assassins Creed. Also listed is Jason Knox-Johnston as the Supervising Art Director - he's worked on numerous films including Star Wars Episode 8. So, it seems pre-production is going into some heavy lifting in prep of shooting early next year.

Jawmuncher

IMDB (I know) has seen a recent influx of crew listings for the Jurassic World sequel.. most are from the London area with a work history at Pinewood.

Of note, Andy Nicholson is listed as the Production Designer. He's worked on films such as Gravity, The Bourne Ultimatum and Assassins Creed. Also listed is Jason Knox-Johnston as the Supervising Art Director - he's worked on numerous films including Star Wars Episode 8. So, it seems pre-production is going into some heavy lifting in prep of shooting early next year.

I really just want to know what some name rolls will be. I want them to stick with the balance of new actors while throwing us some recongnized ones.

I do feel like we're in for a female villain though.

I really just want to know what some name rolls will be. I want them to stick with the balance of new actors while throwing us some recongnized ones.

I do feel like we're in for a female villain though.

I can't help but wonder if we will see some actors that Bayona has previously worked with.. A Monster Calls and The Impossible both have some really cool options to pick from.

As far as villains go, I hope they dial it back a pinch and don't make anyone feel evil.. more or less, keep it like Nedry & Ludlow: greedy asshats who's stupidity gets people killed. Enough movies showcase a clear 'good' and 'evil' tale, let Jurassic keep it more ambiguous and complex.

Well. Unless we get Dodgson. I suppose I'd welcome a more clear-cut villain if it was Dodgson.

Yeah, Hoskins wasn't really evil or anything, just had some particular ideals that clashed with the protagonist, which technically made him the antagonist. Then again, he was also doing some shady shit and seemed to be euphoric that the disaster transpired. So he is kind of a douche too.

Interesting. Universal split Jurassic Park and Jurassic World into two different Twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/jurassicpark
https://twitter.com/jurassicworld

I think this is silly, and went on a small rant about it here. However, beyond the potential negative side effects of splintering the brand, here's my interpretation of what it means:

First and foremost, ‘Jurassic Park’ is not dead. By giving @JurassicPark its own social media account it’s clear the classic trilogy will continue to see new merch and media going into the future – alongside the current Jurassic World film merch and media. With a slick new logo similiar to the current DVD offerings, which is quite different from the nostalgic original, it’s clear they’re utilizing brand imagery that is meant to operate with today’s trends.

As for Jurassic World: those who didn’t believe the title and branding were here to stay should reconsider. When the accounts split, one had to start anew while another would keep the existing followers. The handle @JurassicWorld was given the existing 178k followers, meaning it will be the brand and marketing powerhouse moving forward, @JurassicPark the niche. So yes, while we do not yet know the name of the fifth Jurassic movie, it will certainly include ‘Jurassic World’ as opposed to ‘Park’ or something entirely new.

Ultimately, it’s exciting to know that as we get closer to the release of the Jurassic World sequel, classic Jurassic Park will remain relevant. We’ve heard buzz that a toy line inspired by the classic Jurassic films could be targeting 2017 alongside ‘Raptor Squad’, and this seems to give it further legitimacy. While the splitting of the brands seems to be a convoluted misstep, it’s nice to see the Jurassic Park logo on social media once again.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Chronicle just teased their 1:1 Velociraptor busts at SDCC - they're straight from the Winston original molds.

V3PsIeZ.jpg

As a big raptor fan, those both look amazing! Too bad I'm not in the position to purchase those, but I really do want something raptor-related from Chronicle at some point. Never been a big fan of busts (although these look great!) so maybe some kind of scaled raptor statue down the line.

drotahorror

Still need to watch part 2 and 3 as I've watched 1 and World recently....1 was still great and the effects hold up very well. World is just nonstop action for the most part, little plot, tons of CGI but fun to watch. Not a movie worth owning or even rewatching. I'm sure 2 and 3 are probably not great, I saw them when they came out in theatres and don't even remember anything about them.

Will watch World's sequel when it comes to HBO or some other streaming service.

Jawmuncher

I don't plan on following the progress as much this time. Due to how they marketed I basically had the whole movie pieced together without even needing leaks.

I don't plan on following the progress as much this time. Due to how they marketed I basically had the whole movie pieced together without even needing leaks.

Eh, it's not like the general plot progression wasn't hard to predict a few minutes in though. The movie really wasn't built around being surprising/particularly different. They might handle the marketing and general talk different this time around if it's actual important to do so.

Then again, it's like a 50-50 shot with marketing sometimes so maybe it is a good idea to hold off.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Holy shot. I don't buy collectables, generally, but I may have to break that rule for some of that stuff.

Amazing Jurassic World poster by Mondo on sale now at SDCC

I need to find a way to buy that.

On another note, the Jurassic World sequel enlists ‘Gravity’ Production Designer Andy Nicholson! He's got a pretty nice portfolio of work, and was actually nominated for an Academy Award for his work on Gravity.

He sounds like a good fit for Jurassic... According to his website, Andy is ‘actively seeking to assimilate digital technology with traditional work-flows and techniques’. His bio goes on to say he is ‘Always on the lookout for staff with new skills’ and ‘[he is] an advocate of immersive design and closely follows the opportunities and developments within the industry’.

Production Design on previous Jurassic films was handled by Rick Carter (Jurassic Park, The Lost World) and Ed Verreaux (Jurassic Park 3, Jurassic World). This will be the first time Andy and Juan Antonio Bayona have worked together; Bayona has previously worked with Eugenio Caballero (The Impossible, A Monster Calls) and Josep Rosell (The Orphanage).

Top Bottom