• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

If jp3 didn't happen, I could buy Grant getting involved again under the right premise. However, his character arc post jp3 makes it clear he will be avoiding living dinosaurs like the plague, and do whatever he can to distance himself from InGen. I'd love to see him on last time before the series comes to a close, but I'm not sure if there are many - if any - justifiable and organic ways to do so.

If jp3 didn't happen, I could buy Grant getting involved again under the right premise. However, his character arc post jp3 makes it clear he will be avoiding living dinosaurs like the plague, and do whatever he can to distance himself from InGen. I'd love to see him on last time before the series comes to a close, but I'm not sure if there are many - if any - justifiable and organic ways to do so.

I agree. And it's not like I'm saying that I dislike those characters or anything, but I've never felt as though Jurassic Park is a character-centric story. It's a story where the ideas and themes outweigh the characters IMO. Seeing them again may be fine, but it also runs the risk of feeling forced and I'd rather them just completely avoid it.

I like characters like Grant, Malcolm and Owen (and a shoutout to my boy Lowery) but there's hardly ever any character development because it's not about them. There's some obviously like Grant warming up to kids or Claire getting out of her bubble but it's never anything poignant or worth too much conversation because it's basic stuff.

I still want Lex and/or Tim to come back, myself. Particularly Tim. He likely wouldn't have come out as jaded as Ian and Grant did (or Ellie for that matter), it's logical he would now as an adult be connected to InGen, and I think there's some fun things you could do with him. Maybe he takes up Masrani's place as being hellbent on preserving Hammond's legacy, maybe even more directly as the "dinosaur advocate" Hammond became in Lost World, etc. I know he's not as nostalgia-inducing as Grant or Ian, but it's the kind of connection and throwback I'd like to see.

Edit: lol started writing this before seeing the above posts

Also Joseph Mazzello is still acting and is pretty good, so I wouldn't be totally against that either. It'd be a hell of a lot more brow-raising than them bringing Grant or Malcolm back. With those guys it'd just be some lame cameo and we'd get the same song and dance from both, whereas an adult Tim could actually be a lot more interesting and be an actual new character where he's older.

So... yeah! I think I'd be down for that.

strafer

Also Joseph Mazzello is still acting and is pretty good, so I wouldn't be totally against that either. It'd be a hell of a lot more brow-raising than them bringing Grant or Malcolm back. With those guys it'd just be some lame cameo and we'd get the same song and dance from both, whereas an adult Tim could actually be a lot more interesting and be an actual new character where he's older.

So... yeah! I think I'd be down for that.

He was amazing in The Pacific.

Not sure about Ariana though. I guess she still paints though.

Jawmuncher

We all know who REALLY needs to come back

aisgm.jpg

Damn, well she has talents there at least.

She should totally do a portrait of a goat, though.

edit: damn this thread is almost a year old. Time's moving pretty good. Hopefully some sequel news soon, I've been antsy since last June.

Jawmuncher

Wasn't it said that one of the other raptors besides Blue could possibly be alive?

It's a reference to a canned script for JP4. Some of the ideas from it loosely made it into Jurassic World though.

Vaguely remember that. Honestly, it wouldn't even surprise me if they really did end up at a fucking castle to drop off some samples.

Wasn't it said that one of the other raptors besides Blue could possibly be alive?

I thought it sucked that they killed most of the raptor squad tbh. Yeah Blue (at least?) made it, but the others were brehs too.

Vaguely remember that. Honestly, it wouldn't even surprise me if they really did end up at a fucking castle to drop off some samples.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/jurassic-world/41781/jurassic-park-4-the-versions-that-never-were

You may already know that Sayles' leaked draft was rather barmy. It began with Hammond sending a new character called Nick Harris ("an unemployed soldier of fortune") to Isla Nublar (now under the control of a Swiss company) to retrieve the shaving foam can stuffed with DNA samples that Dennis Nedry dropped way back in the first film.

Nick is caught, knocked out, and wakes up in a medieval castle in the Swiss Alps where the new owners of Isla Nublar are working on a hybrid dinosaur consisting of human, canine and dino DNA. Nick is recruited by the Swiss scientists to act as a drill sargeant to a pack of dinosaurs that they've managed to tame using radio signals.

Nick's dinos are put in armoured suits and sent to Tangier to rescue a 10-year-old girl from some terrorists. The mission is a bloody success, and Nick is next sent after a drug lord who is promptly attacked by dinosaurs while in his jacuzzi. At the climax of the film, the dino-soldiers turn on their Swiss masters.

lmao

Jawmuncher

The concept is just so odd. Not as odd as the weird Hybrid Dino Humans with odd proportions. But still just as odd, though they have played with the idea of tamed raptors, even as far back as the comics right after the film.

Also don't understand people's fascination with Dinosaurs and Drug Lords. Raptors Attack has a drug lord who owns the raptors for a bit, then there was Dangerous Games. Which was also about a drug lord.

I swear if Jurassic World 2 is about a drug lord....

I know, it sounds like Jurassic Park meets Bad Boys. But it makes you wonder if any more concepts from those earlier attempts will be brought back in any form. Jurassic World is kind of like that draft just without the Uwe Boll.

The concept is just so odd. Not as odd as the weird Hybrid Dino Humans with odd proportions. But still just as odd, though they have played with the idea of tamed raptors, even as far back as the comics right after the film.

Also don't understand people's fascination with Dinosaurs and Drug Lords. Raptors Attack has a drug lord who owns the raptors for a bit, then there was Dangerous Games. Which was also about a drug lord.

I have faith in Bayona not literally being an idiot.

Just be thankful this isn't a Sony ship. We'd be getting 21 Jurassic Street.

What other kind of villainous individual in Central America would own and mistreat dinosaurs they've found/stolen and use in fights and for protection/attack the audience would cheer when the dinos turn on them?

Jawmuncher

What other kind of villainous individual in Central America would own and mistreat dinosaurs they've found/stolen and use in fights and for protection/attack the audience would cheer when the dinos turn on them?

I guess that's a good point, but on the other hand. Kinda enforces the idea that they gotta go bigger in a sense.

Just be thankful this isn't a Sony ship. We'd be getting 21 Jurassic Street.

Yep Sony is an absolute clusterfuck of a studio. They just throw whatever at the wall and it rarely sticks. Thank god they have far more level headed and respectable people on this.

I was thinking about what the title could be, and if the concept is that dinosaurs are like products now or whatever they were talking about, it'd probably be something related to that. Like Jurassic Earth, Jurassic Eden, something like that. The title Jurassic World would also make sense within that concept which is pretty clever, if at first it's just the title of the new park but could also be used to describe things in a broader sense.

IIRC, Demon thinks it'll be called Jurassic World <something>. While it would make sense due to branding, I'd kind of just like to see them go with Jurassic <something>. It just makes for stronger, more bold naming to me, like I was thrilled that JW wasn't Jurassic Park 4 or some subtitled bullshit like TLW.

Ugh just announce it fuck

strafer

Would be the perfect dinosaur movie set up for me. I want some R rated Dino Violence that isn't regulated to low budget fair.

I wonder how succesful an R rated dinosaur movie would be at the boxoffice.

The only two onscreen deaths we've seen in the movies are Gennaro from Jurassic Park and Eddie from The Lost World, not very graphic but disturbing in their own way.

But It would be kinda cool to see a Raptor actually bite someones head of and blood just squirting out.

Jawmuncher

Jurassic World: THE REVENGE

I wonder how succesful an R rated dinosaur movie would be at the boxoffice.

The only two onscreen deaths we've seen in the movies are Gennaro from Jurassic Park and Eddie from The Lost World, not very graphic but disturbing in their own way.

But It would be kinda cool to see a Raptor actually bite someones head of and blood just squirting out.

I really want to see a big budget dinosaur shoot out.
I think that's why the night scene in Jurassic World hyped so many people.
If you think about it, that's like the first time something like that has been on screen with dinosaurs.
This is partly why i'm interested in them pushing more on ingen. Since to me it kind of means more stuff like that is a possibility.

But yeah as you said a R rated dinosaur movie with that sort of stuff going on when look cool if done right.
Obviously it's not needed, and i'm not saying Jurassic Park needs that obviously. But it's my pipedream to see something like that on the big screen some day.

Jurassic World: THE REVENGE

Jurassic World War

I won't put shit past Trevorrow. Dude's crazy and I love it. I'm glad Bayona is directing the next one as it feels like it'll just be some drastically new thing (which is good IMO) but he's not beyond taking risks. The last thing Jurassic World did was play it safe, though some would disagree. That's okay I guess, but if it were playing it safe, I don't think those leaked ideas would have caused so much controversy right down to people immediately writing it off because they thought it sounded ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really want it to become mayor of Bonkerstown, but I hope they keep doing new and slightly crazy things. I want it to feel like Jurassic Park in soul, but I'm open to more risk taking.

Top Bottom