• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

ajim

I just finished watching this again since I saw it in the cinemas, and I dunno guys, but watching
Rexy and the Indominius fight is magical. Hair on the back of your neck standing type material. Watching Rexy wreck Indominous shit was awesome!

SO good.

strafer

I just finished watching this again since I saw it in the cinemas, and I dunno guys, but watching
Rexy and the Indominius fight is magical. Hair on the back of your neck standing type material. Watching Rexy wreck Indominous shit was awesome!

SO good.

the roar off is my favorite

rexroar3tr6i.gif

Fuchsdh

So here's a question that I've been thinking about recently, which I guess applies both to the Jurassic Park book and film: what is Nedry's exit strategy?

Assuming there was no rain and he made it back in plenty of time to blow it off as he was just off for a walk (in other words his plan succeeds...) seems like there's a incredibly obvious line to be drawn from "hey the cameras were down and Nedry was gone" to "hey he probably took the embryos" when they notice they're missing in a few days when everyone comes back. How would he not get caught? Was he going to go on the run or something once he got his payday?

So here's a question that I've been thinking about recently, which I guess applies both to the Jurassic Park book and film: what is Nedry's exit strategy?

Assuming there was no rain and he made it back in plenty of time to blow it off as he was just off for a walk (in other words his plan succeeds...) seems like there's a incredibly obvious line to be drawn from "hey the cameras were down and Nedry was gone" to "hey he probably took the embryos" when they notice they're missing in a few days when everyone comes back. How would he not get caught? Was he going to go on the run or something once he got his payday?

He most definitely would've been caught. I guess the plan would've had the rival company pay him a ton of cash to keep him quiet and put him in hiding. Doesn't sound unreasonable given the risk he took.

-sdp

Let's hope they use the budget correctly, I mean counting the movie did Star Wars' numbers it was logically it'd get a bump in budget but it also means the movie has a lot of expectation so it's not seen as a disappointment which is what happened to the franchise in the previous sequels.

Saw this when I was in Denmark.
http://i.imgur.com/4yBsRZe.jpg
And features the smuggest lion I have ever seen. :D
A few years ago I went to an open animal park like that with similar advertisement and the dinosaur part was just a below average "river" ride with dinosaurs. I still enjoyed it.

SO good.

Do we really have to spoiler it? The Rex/Indominus fight was too much for me and didn't feel at all like Jurassic Park but more of a generic superhero movie with a "final fight" and dragged too long. I'm afraid they'll take this dinosaur fight route for the sequel or that it'll become a staple for the end.

-sdp

Maybe someone can make a game to tie in that isn't lego.

I'm confident that we'll get a bunch of stuff this time around, last time Jurassic Park was a franchise that had made less and less money and no one knew if this revival was going to work, especially not when it was up against so many big movies not even Universal think it was going to be that big, especially not Star Wars numbers bigs. It just caught everyone by surprise this time everyone will be prepared and we'll see tons of licensed stuff.

IDW chose not to make comics and now they'll release more starting next year, the game in development was canned maybe we'll get that one or another one, Hasbro did the bare minimum with the figures and now they're paying for it with Mattel getting the license. Who knows what JW2 will bring but at least there'll be more merchandising for it including retro mechandise of the first trilogy.

antonz

That is one heck of a budget. They are seeing the money made with world and gambling. Hopefully it pays off but its a big risk. World hit the right strings of nostalgia etc. to be a monster hit.

They really need to deliver with the sequel with that kind of money being spent

strafer

Dear god that is one hell of a budget.

That would be my wet dream. Those off-road sections of UC4 where you're driving through the mud and using your winch, throw in some dinosaurs and it's already the best JP game ever.

I'm thinking more The Last Of us.

The budget news was misreported by the magazine (confirmed by slashfilm). There will be a budget boost with the sequel, but I very much doubt it will be that high. Perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 225 million.

Hopefully we get some video game news soon.. we're All Really dying for something.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog. :)

Anything but this. I want a game where you do more than scale a few rocks and then spend hours shooting endless waves of raptors.

Honestly, I wish Telltale gave it another go. They've gotten much better at their craft since their Jurassic Park game.

Also, I really enjoyed LEGO Jurassic World, something along those lines, yet realistic could be interesting. I'd like something where I can run around exploring and looking at stuff, yet not so free that I get lost in fetch quests and have no idea where to go next.

Jawmuncher

The budget news was misreported by the magazine (confirmed by slashfilm). There will be a budget boost with the sequel, but I very much doubt it will be that high. Perhaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 225 million.

Hopefully we get some video game news soon.. we're All Really dying for something.

I could still see it being that high. When marketing and such is combined with it. So yeah not all budget for the movie and CG, but could be for everything included.

Since Universal knows now that they got a hit on their hands which they can promote like crazy. If the quality is on par or surpasses the last film, I fully expect it to have a bigger opening that the first.

Fuchsdh

Anything but this. I want a game where you do more than scale a few rocks and then spend hours shooting endless waves of raptors.

Honestly, I wish Telltale gave it another go. They've gotten much better at their craft since their Jurassic Park game.

Also, I really enjoyed LEGO Jurassic World, something along those lines, yet realistic could be interesting. I'd like something where I can run around exploring and looking at stuff, yet not so free that I get lost in fetch quests and have no idea where to go next.

There's plenty of room for that experience, too. I kind of want a Trespasser-like game on Isla Nublar pre-Jurassic World cleanup, because getting to run around the ruined park would be the most interesting aspect to me.

strafer

Well there's always Jurassic world 3. I figure universal will want to use the nostalgia bomb when they need it.

Let's see how the chemistry is between Jeff and Sam in Thor: Ragnarock and then maybe the studio will see that we need them back hunting dinosaurs.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Let's see how the chemistry is between Jeff and Sam in Thor: Ragnarock and then maybe the studio will see that we need them back hunting dinosaurs.
Seriously, after everything that happened to booth there would be no good reason to ever get involved with Dinosaurs again.

Jawmuncher

I think the biggest factor is that Universal wants a worthwhile reason to have Alan and Ian back. Which I agree with. While I want them both, I don't want them shoe-horned in either.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Same thing could be said about Jurassic World, why play with nature again? And we know what happened...shit hit the fan again.
Yeah of course, but there needs to be a reason why people who went two times to a island full of Dinosaurs and almost lost their life get there a third time. And I cant imagine a good one after saving a loved one and money problems were already taken

Looks fun.

Still have no desire whatsoever for Goldblum or Neill to come back. They already shoehorned both into their own sequels and Jurassic Park isn't about those characters to begin with. It's just a lust for characters from childhoods appearing again regardless of narrative necessity.

If they come back it'll be straight pandering. Ian's book in JW was amusing and that's about as far as it needs to go.

-sdp

It should be alright, I'm not terribly excited for a short re-telling of JW lego style but I'll take what I can get.

Jawmuncher

Looks fun.

Still have no desire whatsoever for Goldblum or Neill to come back. They already shoehorned both into their own sequels and Jurassic Park isn't about those characters.

I don't see why you're so against the idea. While the dinosaurs are the main appeal obviously. The characters still play an important. If you don't care/like the characters you just have a monster flick. So I think bringing older characters back isn't an issue. However it needs to make more sense. Considering they're going out there for whatever this sequel is about. I think they could muster up a good enough reason to have they come back. Even if its for small cameo stuff.
Like how the Chaos Theory book was in the control room, but expanded more than that.

I think it was discussed in the past but one idea would be let's say both Ian and Alan being interviewed on TV, about how dinosaurs can be pets now, or talking about the anniversary of the original park or world incident.

Regardless there's room to have them appear in some capacity, and the amount of people who want to see them puts weight on people caring about the character. 20 years from now people will want Chris Pratt to show up in whatever they're doing next.

Fuchsdh

I think the biggest factor is that Universal wants a worthwhile reason to have Alan and Ian back. Which I agree with. While I want them both, I don't want them shoe-horned in either.

You mean you don't want Chris Pratt to get on the radio and ask Sam Neill how they defeated Khan—I mean, the T. rex?

-sdp

I don't feel Grant and Malcolm were shoehorned too much in their respective sequels, it worked. Would it be shoehorning them in a future sequel? If the script is not very good then yeah it's probable but won't Owen and especially Claire be shoehorned as well? And they'll likely be in JW3 having them appear more than any other character in the franchise. Do they really deserve that honor?

Yeah story wise it doesn't make much sense but if they had them I wouldn't complain about it. But deying them a cameo of them appearing on a TV show talking about the events of JW is dumb not to do.

Looks fun.

Still have no desire whatsoever for Goldblum or Neill to come back. They already shoehorned both into their own sequels and Jurassic Park isn't about those characters to begin with. It's just a lust for characters from childhoods appearing again regardless of narrative necessity.

If they come back it'll be straight pandering. Ian's book in JW was amusing and that's about as far as it needs to go.
I mean JW ended with the original Rex teaming up with a raptor in a super hero movie-esque ultimate showdown followed by a Rex hero-shot roar closer. The franchise is definitely not above pandering, and Ian or Grant coming back definitely wouldn't be the worst example of it.

That said, I agree it would be tough to canonically justify either having anything to do with dinosaurs a 3rd time. But I'm not opposed to them trying either.

(as if JW wasn't)

I mean JW ended with the original Rex teaming up in a super hero movie-esque ultimate showdown followed by a Rex hero-shot roar closer. The franchise is definitely not above pandering, and Ian or Grant coming back definitely wouldn't be the worst example of it.

I didn't have a problem with glorifying the Rex and it was a bring the house down moment. I don't think Jurassic Park or Jurassic World needs specific characters and Jurassic World already established its own. You can see glorifying the Rex as pandering among other things, but that's going to happen pretty much everywhere. Some consider Star Wars VII to pander to the original trilogy too much, but that actually is about those characters and it was sensible to have them back. With Jurassic Park there's absolutely no reason to have Ian or Grant back, and I can't say that about what they did with the T-Rex in Jurassic World. It was a legitimate way to have a fun moment while concurrently being how they take care of Darth Indominus.

T-Rex pandering certainly didn't start with Jurassic World either. But yeah I don't need Ian running around waving his fingers and I told you so'ing again. Like, I'm good. :p For what it's worth I do see your points, so I guess all I can really argue back with is that I liked what they did with the Rex but don't personally need to see those characters again. It is what it is.

I don't feel Grant and Malcolm were shoehorned too much in their respective sequels, it worked.

The Lost World damn near completely changed Ian's personality if not completely just to make him feel more like a protagonist. If that isn't shoe-horning I don't know what is. Grant was handled better in JP3 from a character standpoint, but they got him back on the island because money.

I think it was discussed in the past but one idea would be let's say both Ian and Alan being interviewed on TV, about how dinosaurs can be pets now, or talking about the anniversary of the original park or world incident.

Say that happened, would it make the movie better? Again it'd just be there to see Ian and Grant again. I realize it'd be harmless but usually scenes like that are kind of lame and I've never been a big fan of it.

8322ae15a720c0c5007aff080fb87eb2.jpg

Top Bottom