• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
People should probably stop trying to play "spot the VFX" if they're not good at it. This is the second time in one of these threads that someone's been certain they know what's "real" and what's "fake" only to have it backfire.

Yup. As demonstrated with the JP3 animatronic T-Rex it doesn't matter what the technique is. If it is shot or performed poorly it looks bad. That same shot in those lighting conditions being CGI may have made it look better.

RT consensus

Question for those of you that live and die by review scores. Why does it seem like RT likes to put out a consensus with such a small sample size, so early into the process? this isn't election data based on years trends, these are opinion pieces collected for an aggregate.

Peru

Skimming through the intro of that, it's just redundantly saying "GIRLS WILL LIKE THIS CAUSE SEXY GUY".

No, that's not what it's saying. Hint - it's published in a gay magazine.

White often misses the mark but I thought that was a genuinely good little text.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's not what it's saying. Hint - it's published in a gay magazine.

For some reason it didn't even cross my mind, even with all the male model magazines on the side bar >_> I was thinking of the rating scale that showed up about a week ago of what males and females of various ages thought of the movie, and in a couple age brackets, the girls scored higher. Most people just assumed Pratt, so yeah that's where my mind was.

Superflat

You know, I think JPIII is getting a leg up in my mind because people act like idiots in this film, but I don't expect better from them. Scared desperate parents and a young professional trying to boost his career and save his funding are a lot more sympathetic than dumbass eco-terrorists and an animal scientist who doesn't understand animals.

It goes deeper than that for me. I don't even buy them as desperate parents. It's like watching an improv skit gone wrong. "She sent the Navy and the Marines!"

"Is this T-Rex... pee?"

I'm not against the backbone of the film. People going off to find their son after they royally fucked up as parents. It's everything the premise is attached to that fails spectacularly. Same could really be said of TLW, but I at least enjoy looking at it.

70% eh?

So essentially 7 out 10 people enjoyed the movie, I like those odds.

It will fluctuate for sure, I'll be at least a little assured if it lands somewhere in the 70's before i watch it myself

Toa TAK

Banned
So I'm rewatching Jurassic Park III, and one thing that can definitely be said is that the compositing for the parasail scene is bad. Not "1930s movie rear projection driving" bad, but pretty noticeable.

Also the giant red "RESTRICTED" right after the Isla Sorna text is hilariously on-the-nose.

Hey, it's Hoshi from Enterprise for like four seconds!

Something about Sam Neill being frustrated by a parrot is hilarious to me.

Also Grant is a massive douche to Ellie. "Hey, remember those terrifying animals that killed those people and us almost? Ever think about that?"

Don Davis doesn't get enough credit for doing a good John Williams impersonation, too.
Yeah, I just finished watching it myself (my marathon is complete and I can't wait tomorrow night!) but man:

-Alan is a straight up grumpy old man here. Even Eric points this out between books he's written before and after the Isla Nublar incident.
-Don Davis' rendition of the theme is constant but it's one of the better parts of the film. I really like his work here and took it for granted.
-Spinosaurus was only around three times. I could've sworn she was around more.
-DUDE who decided to split my OTP from the first Jurassic Park? I guess Grant wanted to stay in the dirt, kinda bummed they didn't end up together.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got back. It's... not very good.

It's like JP turned to 11, a very loud sequel that doesn't have any of the original's charm. The human characters are bad to forgettable, Pratt is decent but the kids in particular did nothing for me. Further on you get some good action sequences like
the flying dinos attacking the visitors and anything with the ball vehicle. Of course the experiment battles the T-Rex and that fight is also decent.

All the attempts at fan service fail so hard, like
the classic theme cues right where you expect them, but with none of the weight of the original. The kids discover the big hall of the first park, complete with the famous 'dinosaurs ruled the Earth' banner and wall raptor paintings, night vision goggles and jeeps. However, this just serves as a major reference dump, but nothing more. 'See, we remember the first movie!'

It's a bit of a mess. Just go in for some mindless fun and you won't be disappointed, but don't expect anything close to the original. It just stresses what a classic JP is, and how trashy this one is.

Also: unbelievable how the 93 original looks so much better than this.

Manu

It goes deeper than that for me. I don't even buy them as desperate parents. It's like watching an improv skit gone wrong. "She sent the Navy and the Marines!"

Ugh.

I know reinforcements are coming, but why on Earth would you send a guy in a suit, alone, and probably unarmed, to look for the missing people in the goddamn dinosaur island?

Yeah, I just finished watching it myself (my marathon is complete and I can't wait tomorrow night!) but man:

-Alan is a straight up grumpy old man here. Even Eric points this out between books he's written before and after the Isla Nublar incident.
-Don Davis' rendition of the theme is constant but it's one of the better parts of the film. I really like his work here and took it for granted.
-Spinosaurus was only around three times. I could've sworn she was around more.
-DUDE who decided to split my OTP from the first Jurassic Park? I guess Grant wanted to stay in the dirt, kinda bummed they didn't end up together.

Johnston threw the script away right before he started filming JP III. I don't think he had a clue what the hell he was doing, lol.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

*squints eyes to delete rest of text*

Have you seen the original on blu ray before? The day time scenes are fairly dated now with the lack of detail on the skin texture. Night shots can always look good, especially when hidden in the rain.

Unless you are talking about a stylistic choice like colour grading, I refuse to believe this. I just rewatched the original and it's CG is piss poor by today's standards.

I'm seeing this tomorrow night so I'll have my own opinion soon

DonMigs85

Yeah the lit-up dino models in the original JP look pretty flat and simple today. Even TLW was a noticeable improvement.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
*squints eyes to delete rest of text*

Have you seen the original on blu ray before? The day time scenes are fairly dated now with the lack of detail on the skin texture. Night shots can always look good, especially when hidden in the rain.

it's been a few years, but definitely JP1 raptors >> World raptors

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
it's been a few years, but definitely JP1 raptors >> World raptors

Yeah not a good idea to compare something from memory years ago. I just re-watched it on blu this week and it's good, but when you see the HD trailer of the raptors, although different looking, there's a HUGE different in quality.

We need gifs/image comparisons here.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah not a good idea to compare something from memory years ago. I just re-watched it on blu this week and it's good, but when you see the HD trailer of the raptors, although different looking, there's a HUGE different in quality.

Even when I drop the JP1 comparison, I felt the World raptors looked pretty bad, especially when Pratt was in the scene as well.

Much more disappointed by the movie as a whole though. There's not much to take away or remember here :/

DonMigs85

The raptors were just plain grey/brown things with few wrinkles or detailed skin textures in JP1. JP3 and World have the most detailed raptors.

Yeah, let's not act like the film somehow magically keeps up technologically. The Blu-Ray is amazing, but it really shows how old some of the CGI is.

Here's the best I could do, a closeup shot of raptors from each film

4Lwo8Ihl.jpg

Regardless of RT score, early reviews or trailers, bad effects, etc, I'm going into this excited as fuck tomorrow. If it's dumb, that's okay, a JP movie in the mold of the original JP was a long shot in today's movie climate. It'll be a little sad, considering they seem to have had a great concept in-line with the books and original which could have potentially allowed them to make something both as weighty AND fun as the original, which is more than TLW and JP3 can say, but whatever.

I can still enjoy JW even if it's dumb. I still love TLW even if it's a "bad" movie, especially compared to JP1 and the highs in that movie are some of the best in the series imo.

It's been nearly 15 years since the last JP film. I grew up with this franchise. All I ask is that it appeals to the same inner child that had its mind blown when I watched JP and TLW for the first time. If it does that for me I'll be happy.

Toa TAK

Banned
How violent is it? Fine for an 11 year old that has seen all the marvel movies would you say?

You remind me of my parents who were on some kinda diehard mission to prevent me from seeing Jurassic Park III when it was out. Even though they let me watch the first two endlessly.

I'll never understand.

P.S. Thank you Grandma for sneaking me in.
Isn't this one a practical?

Yes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's been nearly 15 years since the last JP film. I grew up with this franchise. All I ask is that it appeals to the same inner child that had its mind blown when I watched JP and TLW for the first time. If it does that for me I'll be happy.

The original JP is one of the first movies I saw in a theatre and had a huge impact on me. I secretly hoped to get some small spark like that again, but no, not in the slightest for me. Some good action scenes, that's it.

Can't wait to see the raptors for myself. Overall, most of the CG I've seen for them looks fantastic (although I've seen some rougher shots, too):

tumblr_noxjcvdi1o1rgzwlpo3_500.gif

tumblr_noxjcvdi1o1rgzwlpo1_500.gif

tumblr_nncgg5f48o1uo758to7_500.gif

See, the ones in JP1 look like something out of Toy Story 1 now.
JP3 for comparison:
jurassic-park-jurassic-park-27400054-768-4321.jpg

RaptorCalls2.jpg

I wouldn't say the JP raptors look like Toy Story, but JP3 raptors=best raptor design, IMO.

Think I might drunk watch this on the weekend

It doesn't deserve my sobriety but still i gotta show up for that theme and another glimpse of da gawd trex

Sometimes I wonder how "entertaining" can't be "good".

Well, I won't spoil anything but a lot of the sub-stories were ridiculous IMO and there were pretty lame characters, but this doesn't affect the action scenes which are pretty great. But great action scenes don't make a good movie.

Well, I won't spoil anything but a lot of the sub-stories were ridiculous IMO and there were pretty lame characters, but this doesn't affect the action scenes which are pretty great. But great action scenes don't make a good movie.
Mad Max Fury Road begs to differ.

It's story was subtle and told with showing not telling, but that doesn't make it anything more than an action movie with great action scenes. What people deduce from the subtleties are their own thing.

For me, it'll be JWs biggerbetterlouder commentary which may not be as subtle but it seems to be a point missed by many.

If I rated Mad Max based on its story it wouldn't be pretty. At all. The characters were OK just mostly serviceable. But I had a blast because it was fun with well staged action.

Mad Max Fury Road begs to differ.

It's story was subtle and told with showing not telling, but that doesn't make it anything more than an action movie with great action scenes. What people deduce from the subtleties are their own thing.

For me, it'll be JWs biggerbetterlouder commentary which may not be as subtle but it seems to be a point missed by many.

...This has to be one of the most confusing sentences I've read in months.

What I wanted to say, it's that the general story is great and the action scenes are great. It's really entertaining. But once again, in my opinion, there's a lot of stupid characters and stupid and/or useless sub-plots. I can't say that film bored me but I can't say I found it good.

And I was so hyped by this movie. This was really a let-down.

What I wanted to say, it's that the general story is great and the action scenes are great. It's really entertaining. But once again, in my opinion, there's a lot of stupid characters and stupid and/or useless sub-plots. I can't say that film bored me but I can't say I found it good.

That's fair. I think some movies just don't appeal or click with some people. It's starting to happen with the MCU with me :(

"Technological advances aside, it looks much faker than its ancient ancestor."

I agree with this. Shots where you have both dinos + humans, like Pratt + raptors, look really bad. Like the dinos are just pasted in.

It looked pretty bad in the trailers so I don't think it'll look good in the movie.
Yeah, sure...JP1 had some bad CGI (by modern standards) but most of it still looks damn impressive. I'm still amazed by the "Car-Rex"- CGI-Scene...just wow. Also, if JW is 95% CGI then it deserves the criticism. Practical effects > CGI.

If I rated Mad Max based on its story it wouldn't be pretty. At all. The characters were OK just mostly serviceable. But I had a blast because it was fun with well staged action.

For as little dialogue fury road has you'll be very hard pressed to find better characters in any action movie this year imo

One common misconception around here is that simplicity automatically means there's less depth. But honestly the five wives alone were so....in sync. Miller put a lot of work into that film. It has sadly been overlooked by a few people but I've seen others noticing the work too which is cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom