• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm a big fan of practical effects, that's why I automatically lean more towards JP. JW is 95% cg yes,
aside from one scene I think

CG and practical were utilized wonderfully in JP. Even TLW didn't match it.

I mean, there definitely are scenes where you KNOW you're looking at a puppet vs CG...but they mix it up so often and blend them so well, it feels "complete" in some sense.

That's fair. I think some movies just don't appeal or click with some people. It's starting to happen with the MCU with me :(

I don't really thing it's about appeal. I was really hyped by that movie but (parts of the story I found bad =>)
the kids relationship, the divorce story, the romance between Owen and Claire, Ingen wanting to use raptors as war weapons, the "mad scientists", the kids fixing a car older than them in 5 minutes
, ...

I really found these parts awful.

Fuchsdh

I think the credit to the first Jurassic Park film is that while in a few spots the CG is incredibly obvious, it's never outright bad, if you can buy the distinction I'm making. The best effects are essentially unnoticeable (or at least seamless in today's more savvy climate) but as long as they don't detract from the scene you're still golden.

Anyhow, rather than totally continuing this railroad off-topic stuff about TLW versus JPIII from the actual topic at hand, I just wrote up a blog post if people want to read my continuing random asides I had about the film while watching.

Anyhow, going to go see this film probably on Saturday. Hopefully the crowds aren't crazy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I don't really thing it's about appeal. I was really hyped by that movie but
the kids relationship, the divorce story, the romance between Owen and Claire, Ingen wanting to use raptors as war weapons, the "mad scientists"
, ... I really found these parts awful.

Definitely, agree with you completely. All plot points that went nowhere. Time to sleep away the disappointment

I don't really thing it's about appeal. I was really hyped by that movie but (parts of the story I found bad =>)
the kids relationship, the divorce story, the romance between Owen and Claire, Ingen wanting to use raptors as war weapons, the "mad scientists", the kids fixing a car older than them in 5 minutes
, ...

I really found these parts awful.

Ah, I see. These must be the subplots that people were talking about...

That's disappointing, but still hoping for some great action. My fanboyism will probably carry me through this. Thanks for clarifying, too.

So I'm rewatching Jurassic Park III, and one thing that can definitely be said is that the compositing for the parasail scene is bad. Not "1930s movie rear projection driving" bad, but pretty noticeable.

Also the giant red "RESTRICTED" right after the Isla Sorna text is hilariously on-the-nose.

Hey, it's Hoshi from Enterprise for like four seconds!

Something about Sam Neill being frustrated by a parrot is hilarious to me.

Also Grant is a massive douche to Ellie. "Hey, remember those terrifying animals that killed those people and us almost? Ever think about that?"

Don Davis doesn't get enough credit for doing a good John Williams impersonation, too.

How about the mom's boyfriend, who she grieves over for...about 3 seconds?

For as little dialogue fury road has you'll be very hard pressed to find better characters in any action movie this year imo

I don't mind simple things and I didn't think they were bad. But nothing exemplary or superlative either. I agree a lot of work went into the movie, the action was crazy and well done. That's ultimately why I was fine with the other aspects. That sounds shallow but I can enjoy a movie if they execute what they set out to execute well enough.

DonMigs85

There were a lot of sequel hooks in this movie, but I don't think I like the direction it's going in.
Dino Commandos anyone?
It's gonna get really absurd. Poor Michael Crichton

It looked pretty bad in the trailers so I don't think it'll look good in the movie.
Yeah, sure...JP1 had some bad CGI (by modern standards) but most of it still looks damn impressive. I'm still amazed by the "Car-Rex"- CGI-Scene...just wow. Also, if JW is 95% CGI then it deserves the criticism. Practical effects > CGI.
I have to admit, I had always assumed it was a CGI Rex and a practical jeep. I only learned recently that the jeep was CGI too
iBwmXMS6nujxK.gif

BashNasty

Well, I won't spoil anything but a lot of the sub-stories were ridiculous IMO and there were pretty lame characters, but this doesn't affect the action scenes which are pretty great. But great action scenes don't make a good movie.

Great action scenes absolutely can make a good movie.

Altazor

Something a bit shallower: I have to say I vastly preferred the red/black (and hints of yellow and green) aesthetic of the original Jurassic Park over the shiny silver/blue of Jurassic World.

ditto with the architecture - the OG had this very... monolithic, almost primal feel to its buildings. Big slabs of grey with very defined shapes that contrasted with the exuberant green that surrounded them. Jurassic World feels too shiny, too "futuristic" - nothing wrong per se with that, I just preferred the old look.

Manu

RT currently up again, it's now at 73%.

So, people liked it after all. Go figure.

EDIT: DonMigs85, isn't that kind of a spoiler? I mean, the movie's not even out officially yet in some places.

Something a bit shallower: I have to say I vastly preferred the red/black (and hints of yellow and green) aesthetic of the original Jurassic Park over the shiny silver/blue of Jurassic World.

ditto with the architecture - the OG had this very... monolithic, almost primal feel to its buildings. Big slabs of grey with very defined shapes that contrasted with the exuberant green that surrounded them. Jurassic World feels too shiny, too "futuristic" - nothing wrong per se with that, I just preferred the old look.

That's a valid point but I also think the look of Jurassic World is accurate to how things are trending these days and what it might actually look like

Gone are the beautiful and detailed stone and brick buildings of old, structures with personality. Everything now is glass and steel and sterilized to be "modern", cold in a sense

Jurassic World is basically the Apple Store of amusement parks - clean and trendy

There were a lot of sequel hooks in this movie, but I don't think I like the direction it's going in.
Dino Commandos anyone? It's gonna get really absurd.
Poor Michael Crichton

Honestly... what's wrong with that? It'll be hard to keep doing the dinosaurs are loose killing humans angle.

I want (spoilers just in case)
corporate warfare. I want raptors set loose in an office building. I want underground dinosaur fighting/trading/breeding.

If we can't get dinosaurs in their majestic glory doing dino things and if people are already cynical about a genuine Jurassic Park open to the public, the above may be our best bet if done well.

Altazor

That's a valid point but I also think the look of Jurassic World is accurate to how things are trending these days and what it might actually look like

Gone are the beautiful and detailed stone and brick buildings of old, structures with personality. Everything now is glass and steel and sterilized to be "modern", cold in a sense

Jurassic World is basically the Apple Store of amusement parks - clean and trendy

oh yes, I was going to say that such a design choice was probably intentional, but had a bit of a brainfart and forgot to write it down. But yes, I agree - it mirrors current trends, even if those trends aren't to our personal liking.

If anyone would like some high-res captures from JP1-3, for CG reference or comparison, let me know what scene/shot you want and I'll post it. I'm at my computer and have all 3 blu rays here.

People really want to hate this movie.

Like honestly. Saying the CGI is bad is downright ludicrous.

Have they seen the Mosaurus rising from the water? Have they seen when the I-Rex or Raptors open their mouths?

Bad CGI would be if they just did the minimal amount of work to make it look like it exists. This has actual anatomy and shit.

DonMigs85

Honestly... what's wrong with that? It'll be hard to keep doing the dinosaurs are loose killing humans angle.

I want (spoilers just in case)
corporate warfare. I want raptors set loose in an office building. I want underground dinosaur fighting/trading/breeding.

If we can't get dinosaurs in their majestic glory doing dino things and if people are already cynical about a genuine Jurassic Park open to the public, the above may be our best bet if done well.
It could certainly be entertaining, but I think it would be an insult to the first film's legacy and Michael Crichton's memory. It'll be like Bayformers or TMNT at that point.

Just came back from seeing it in IMAX. It had its flaws, but I really enjoyed it.

My review if anyone's interested. No spoilers of course.
Rating and reviewing films is sometimes harder than you'd think. Do you review a thriller the same way as you do a comedy? Or do you rate an indie film the same way as you'd rate a summer blockbuster? The answer is no, and I think Jurassic World is a good example of a case where there's more to it than just questioning its logic.

Jurassic World takes place about 20 years after the original, with a corporate entity having taken over the concept of Jurassic Park and having actually succeeded in opening a functional and popular park with Hammond's original concept. Dinosaurs are as popular as ever, but like every corporation things need to get bigger in order to attract the crowds.

Fueled by corporate greed the genetics team of the company sets out to create the world's first genetically-modified dinosaur, but their god complex soon comes back to haunt them as things go horribly wrong and an entire island of people is left in peril.

The storyline is Jurassic World is pretty coherent, and the apparent contrast to the first film when it comes to corporate synergy and such is a refreshing and intelligent take on what society and corporations would so with such an idea in the long run, which is taking a heartfelt and inspired idea and making it a source of revenue. Real life mirrors of this are seen every day in Hollywood, retail and of course in theme parks, where every single aspect of the experience is a creation of a corporate mind in the end, often ignoring the original aspects that the creators had in mind in the first place. (Note, I do not mean this in the most negative way, but considering the themes of the film in overall this representation of the subject is the clearest way to support my point clearly.)

When it comes to subplots the film has some work to be done. A notable subplot is the inclusion of a third party that has interest in the events occurring during the film, which messes up the pacing somewhat due to the detours it creates in the narrative. Certain alterations in this subplot could've easily make it flow with the main plot of the film, but at times it seems to interested in building up a narrative that expands beyond the main plot. It's not terrible by any means, but it's present.

The tones of the film vary from heartfelt to intense, usually finding a good balance between the two throughout. The film's humorous moments sometimes come a bit ill-timed however, causing a bit of a tonal changes that seem out of place in the context of the sequences.

That being said, the buildup towards and the events of the third act are quite spectacular, though it may vary by your expectations wether you'll enjoy it or not. I personally found the third act of the film to be quite well-made, and the interactions between characters and set-pieces were quite thrilling throughout, which made for a satisfying finale.

The main cast of the film consists of a strong selection of characters. Both the young and adult selection of main characters offer strong performances that fit their respective roles. There are some hiccups due to the comedic timing, and some of the dialogue and actions throughout the film can be seen as somewhat cliché, but there isn't anything in there that I would call worse than a below-average blockbuster.

Michael Giacchino's score provides a welcome background layer to the film that is simply a delight to hear. The Jurassic Park theme obviously makes its expected comeback, but both the callbacks and original material flawlessly recreate the sense of depth that John Williams' score for the original did. Honestly, you could listen to the score by itself and sometimes never even realize that John Williams didn't score this film.

Wether you'll enjoy Jurassic World is a pure game of expectations. Are you expecting a deep and thrilling experience that easily rivals the first film? It might not hit all those marks. Are you expecting a fun and reasonably deep extension of the universe that offers a lot that the original film did? This film just might be for you.

Despite its clear flaws I'd have to rate Jurassic World a solid 4 stars. I can easily see why some may rate this much lower than that, but my expectations were met and I had a great times at the cinema!

BONUS SECTION: HOW SHOULD I SEE JURASSIC WORLD?

The 3D experience of Jurassic World was somewhat lacking in my opinion. In contrast to some of the trailers the depth was often little to not present, and it often takes a back seat when it comes to the quality of the conversion.

That being said, seeing this on a big screen such as IMAX presents viewers with a larger-than-life experience that is essential for this film. The 3D may not have been great, but if you're able to see through that as I do the IMAX 3D experience is the way to go for Jurassic World!
http://letterboxd.com/scorpionsoldier/film/jurassic-world/

Altazor

It could certainly be entertaining, but I think it would be an insult to the first film's legacy and Michael Crichton's memory. It'll be like Bayformers or TMNT at that point.
I enjoyed TMNT.

He created a story, Spielberg made it a brand. It will no longer be a science heavy thriller until a future remake. I've been wanting one for years but with this new kick start, it'll be awhile.

But I'm happy with what I've seen of JW.

Maffis

Just saw it. I enjoyed it but it was nothing groundbreaking sadly

I wanted to see less of the kids and more of the Dinosaur doing smart and scary stuff and not just chasing people that somehow could outrun it everytime

I like the sound of this (from AICN):
"JURASSIC WORLD celebrates the dream of John Hammond, the nightmare of Crichton & cinema of Spielberg"

Damn. And to think people are only looking at it from a narrower perspective.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, just popped in 3! The best one!!

Actually, had a discussion earlier with someone who thought 3 > TLW. Reasons were comedy and Grant > Malcom. You know, seeing 3 as a comedy, I can respect that opinion.

Altazor

help, I can't stop listening to John Williams' "theme from Jurassic Park"! It's such an amazing composition - majestic, heartwarming, a hint of adventure awaiting.

Kaze Kyou

Watched it. So hold on to your, uh, butts.

Oh a scale of Jurassic Park 1 to Jurassic Park sequels, it leans towards 1.

Worthy sequel, great movie, doesn't topple the first one but does better than Lost World and 3. Has a lot of problems (mainly with script and simple plot), but as a whole it's entertaining enough.

Go watch it.

Hamlet

Just got back from seeing it and enjoyed it quite a bit even if it does have it's flaws.
Ended up liking Chris Pratt's character more than I expected and same with the raptors. Bryce Dallas Howard was also decent enough.
Certain parts of the storyline made me go eh (
off island divorce drama and angry Vincent D'onofrio
), but the action more than made up for it. Some really impressive stuff especially in the second half of the film.
Basically turned into a Godzilla film haha
The Michael Giacchino soundtrack was fantastic and one of the highlights of the film for me.
What I also loved was getting a glimpse of it working Jurrasic World in full working mode and seeing the joy the kid got from visiting the place. I know I would be jumping up and down like that if I got to visit the park in real life.
The little dinosaurs in petting area looked so cute. Made me really sad when a whole heap them were attacked or carried away later in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom