• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those old enough, what was it like seeing JP in theaters? I was born in '92 so I never saw the movie till years later, actually I had seen The Lost World first. Seeing the animatronics and CGI for the first time must have been jaw-dropping

I was 8 when I saw it.

I remember holding my 6 year old brother's hand in the theatre during the Rex escape. It was pretty terrifying and awe-inspiring.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
To those old enough, what was it like seeing JP in theaters? I was born in '92 so I never saw the movie till years later, actually I had seen The Lost World first. Seeing the animatronics and CGI for the first time must have been jaw-dropping

Everyone was convinced and I'm pretty sure you could hear a pin drop during the t-rex scene. I barely remember the experience, except for the opening raptor kill and the t-rex intro. Just amazing. Lucky I was born a few years prior to be able to experience it. I feel like I will never be able to have a similar experience like that ever again. I mean, Avatar was neat as a visual epic (I won't touch the plot...), but didn't give you the feels that JP did.

Opeth1337

Neo Member
Oh, how are the animatronics in JW? How often are they used?

More this?
2NrAwQU.gif

Or this?
j9wgTia.gif

Shots in JW similar to those are CGI.

Altazor

Everyone was convinced and I'm pretty sure you could hear a pin drop during the t-rex scene. I barely remember the experience, except for the opening raptor kill and the t-rex intro. Just amazing. Lucky I was born a few years prior to be able to experience it. I feel like I will never be able to have a similar experience like that ever again. I mean, Avatar was neat as a visual epic (I won't touch the plot...), but didn't give you the feels that JP did.

veering on off-topic here but still: the only time I was in complete, absolute awe (and joy) in a movie theater after JP was The Lord of the Rings - and that was because I had read the books just months earlier and couldn't believe that I was watching that world realized in front of me. When the Shire appeared on screen I don't think I was mentally in the theater anymore. I was in Middle Earth.

Seems crazy but I was around 3 and still somehow remember seeing it.
The movie really grabbed me and held on my entire childhood.

I watch all three JP films like once a year. I thought the trailer sequence was good at stacking tension, transforming the trailers into a claustrophobic death trap, getting pushed over the cliff, sarah on cracking glass, then Carr with the Rex. It's fairly small scale when it comes to carnage but I always thought it was affective, esp the way it was shot. Plus the amazing score.

Eddie Carr in his car (foreshadowing?) trying to help/rescue + the following death (T-Rex scene) is one of the best and most suspenseful moments in the series. I love it. The music was perfect, too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one who can actually hear the roar in his head when looking at this gif.

Yup, always. But, when I see the one from 3, I picture him going "barrrrrp!!" instead of roaring. Just... the very definition of dopey with them eyes!

Fuchsdh

I can't believe this animatronic got greenlit for a fucking movie.

It's the eyes. If it wasn't blinking in that haphazard way I think it would be way more believable for me, but it's very much "hey we squeezed some cables" kind of feeling (although I presume by that point it would be hydraulics?)

My paper weighs in with its take.

very minor spoiler regarding a musical moment, but otherwise, the short version is that it's dumb, and she can't tell whether it's on purpose or just plain ol' dumb, but either way, it works more than it doesn't, even if it doesn't wind up achieving the same level of "holy fucking shit it's a dinosaur oh my god what the fuck" that the original did in 93.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's the eyes. If it wasn't blinking in that haphazard way I think it would be way more believable for me, but it's very much "hey we squeezed some cables" kind of feeling (although I presume by that point it would be hydraulics?)

It's cute, but in a Jim Henson sort of way.

Oreoleo

Poor Eddie.

That's on you, Sarah Harding and Vince Vaughn's character! That death is ON. YOU. BOTH.

I just don't understand why the Rexes attacked the car at all. In JP1 it made sense cause Lex shined the flashlight in his eye and Tim slammed the door shut getting his attention. Eddie was just chilling not doing anything and the Rexes bee-lined for him, tearing off the roof so they could get right to him. I don't buy the 'territorial' excuse either. They'd never seen a car before yet seemed to comprehend exactly what it was immediately.

I could write a fucking essay on why the trailer scene is so bad (though you've highlighted most of it already ;) ). Terrible scene.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't understand why the Rexes attacked the car at all. In JP1 it made sense cause Lex shined the flashlight in his eye and Tim slammed the door shut getting his attention. Eddie was just chilling not doing anything and the Rexes bee-lined for him, tearing off the roof so they could get right to him. I don't buy the 'territorial' excuse either. They'd never seen a car before yet seemed to comprehend exactly what it was immediately.

There are animals that are actually rather vengeful, especially regarding their young. That's what I always saw it is, rather than a territory thing. It's not like the rex's knew they were helping the baby, just that it was crying in pain. So to me it was always "you hurt our child?! You go die now!!"

Altazor

My paper weighs in with its take.

very minor spoiler regarding a musical moment, but otherwise, the short version is that it's dumb, and she can't tell whether it's on purpose or just plain ol' dumb, but either way, it works more than it doesn't, even if it doesn't wind up achieving the same level of "holy fucking shit it's a dinosaur oh my god what the fuck" that the original did in 93.

I kinda agree with her? I think the movie tries to be a sort of meta commentary about its predecessors and itself ("louder, bigger, more violent DOES NOT WORK") but while it sets that criticism up, it kinda falls into the same trappings by the end.

And regarding this quote from the review: "we see a kid in a hotel room, staring through a window, to a distant, sterile, manicured theme park. There isn't a dinosaur in sight." - personally speaking, I think I was filled with awe by finally watching John Hammond's original dream realized. We were watching, finally, a fully functional, dinosaur inhabited theme park. Before it all obviously went to hell, of course :p

I could write a fucking essay on why the trailer scene is so bad (though you've highlighted most of it already ;) ). Terrible scene.

I hear you, dawg. All of the interesting behavioral stuff from the book was just used to justify some really weird decisions, but even there, the logic is strange. They don't even attack the trailer and the other jeep (the one that goes rolling off the edge at the start of the screen)--they're just pushing them off the edge.

But, we need a cool death, so they pry Eddie's car open like a tin can and eat him.

Sorry guys, I promise I'll stop ragging on TLW now :)

Down to 70%!

Something's wrong. Something's happened. Something's wrong.

It was bound to drop back down, there's still at least 100 more reviews likely to come in. Fluctuations are gonna happen, I expect it will lower significantly when we get more top critic reviews, but we will see

People should probably stop trying to play "spot the VFX" if they're not good at it. This is the second time in one of these threads that someone's been certain they know what's "real" and what's "fake" only to have it backfire.

Fuchsdh

So I'm rewatching Jurassic Park III, and one thing that can definitely be said is that the compositing for the parasail scene is bad. Not "1930s movie rear projection driving" bad, but pretty noticeable.

Also the giant red "RESTRICTED" right after the Isla Sorna text is hilariously on-the-nose.

Hey, it's Hoshi from Enterprise for like four seconds!

Something about Sam Neill being frustrated by a parrot is hilarious to me.

Also Grant is a massive douche to Ellie. "Hey, remember those terrifying animals that killed those people and us almost? Ever think about that?"

Don Davis doesn't get enough credit for doing a good John Williams impersonation, too.

The opening of the mouth just screams theme park.

Down to 70%!

Something's wrong. Something's happened. Something's wrong.

But Top Critics climbed to 72 from the previous 69. As of right now, this is one seemingly rarer times when the Top Critics score is higher than the overall score. Typically, the Top Critics score is the lower one.

So I'm rewatching Jurassic Park III, and one thing that can definitely be said is that the compositing for the parasail scene is bad. Not "1930s movie rear projection driving" bad, but pretty noticeable.

Also the giant red "RESTRICTED" right after the Isla Sorna text is hilariously on-the-nose.

Hey, it's Hoshi from Enterprise for like four seconds!

Something about Sam Neill being frustrated by a parrot is hilarious to me.

Also Grant is a massive douche to Ellie. "Hey, remember those terrifying animals that killed those people and us almost? Ever think about that?"

Don Davis doesn't get enough credit for doing a good John Williams impersonation, too.

The whole movie is a comedy.

Toothless

Well, a good friend of mine who saw it hated it, and out of my four favorite reviewers, they gave it a 9, two 8s, and 6. So I'm thinking I'll like it, although it might not be Furious 7/Mad Max levels. Looking forward to Saturday!

First and last lines of the review:

How many youngsters will see Chris Pratt in Jurassic World and deposit his image in their spank bank?

Maybe a lesbian critic could try justifying her cold acting but who can say what hetero guys who see Jurassic World put into their spank banks? I bet it’s Owen.

Oh Armond.

Fuchsdh

You know, I think JPIII is getting a leg up in my mind because people act like idiots in this film, but I don't expect better from them. Scared desperate parents and a young professional trying to boost his career and save his funding are a lot more sympathetic than dumbass eco-terrorists and an animal scientist who doesn't understand animals.

If you thought they were CG then I have to imagine the animatronics must have actually been quite good?

There was a fake, plastic look too them like the rest of the CG in the film. Like I said, I had a great deal of fun with the movie so it didn't greatly deter -- it was just a disappointing aspect.

Okay, I gotta stop reading reviews, cause the bad ones are so snarky they spoil shit.

Also, some of the negative reviews had me going "I'm going to fucking love this film".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom