• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

I think we can assume it will be between 65-80%. I don't really care but it could be a fun little thing to follow. I don't think people actually care about RT scores more than they just have fun in the sporty element of it.
Yeah that's my prediction as well, mainly 60s though. And I'll see the movie regardless of what score it gets as I'm still a fan of the series despite the sequels(which still had good things about them).

It says 74 when you actually click on the movie. If you don't it says 73.
But I only see 73.o_O

Well even the positive one's are praising shallow things.

Honestly, I get what you're saying. I've never been fond of the "leave your brains at the door" mentality. Any movie CAN be smart and entertaining. Mad Max, I'm sure, has jaded me as it has you.

Having said that, I take issue with the quoted post, considering the positives are largely all of the action setpieces, sequences, and dinos.

Matt Zoller Seitz:

On the "smarter" side of the ledger, you can enter three, maybe four large-scale action sequences that do the master proud. Directed by Colin Treverrow in a style that's Spielbergian but not slavishly so, they're bruising and loud but never overbearing, and laid out with admirable clarity. You always know where you are and what's happening, and you rarely see as much blood as you think you do: some of the nastier mayhem is suggested by sound effects, a blur of motion obscured by foreground objects, or a spray of blood on a wall. Every shot and cut pulls its weight. Every new development makes the sequence feel like a story-within-a-story with the end goal of getting the hell away from dinosaurs. The most intense set piece is the final half-hour, a sustained chase through dark woods that reverses expectations again and again, culminating in a whirl of dino-on-dino violence: a funnel cloud of claws and teeth.

Mick LaSalle:

The action scenes are imaginative and suspenseful and gradually take on a demented exuberance, with huge-headed dinosaurs sniffing at people and velociraptors attacking in packs. The music of Michael Giacchino repurposes the best of John Williams’ original score, and although the film ultimately lacks that extra-something that Spielberg often brings — the sense that the action is somehow emblematic of something grand in the human spirit — the movie has a caustic wit that will do in its place.

Indeed, what ultimately makes “Jurassic World” so satisfying is that it doesn’t buy into the grandeur of the human spirit, not one bit. Instead it shows you a beautifully realized theme park, with holograms and concession stands and rides and attractions, and presents it, not even as a monument to arrogance. Even that would be giving it too much credit. It’s just a monument to colossal dumbness.

That has to count for something beyond a "shallow" impression, but if you are looking for a really smart script and dialogue, this probably isn't it.

Going tomorrow night, Friday night, and Saturday morning... and the game comes out Friday too! Best time ever to be a Jurassic Park fan.

Symphonic

If I've never watched any Jurassic Park movies which ones are the ones I should watch before this? (Or rather which ones are worth watching?)

Watch the first one to get hooked and the third one to lower your expectations.

Watch the second one next time you get drunk.

Fuchsdh

Honestly, I get what you're saying. I've never been fond of the "leave your brains at the door" mentality. Any movie CAN be smart and entertaining. Mad Max, I'm sure, has jaded me as it has you.

I think where I disagree with this point is that at some point if you say films are works of art, then they should be approached on their own merits. I'm going to savage the hell out of some wannabe' high-minded film because they are setting up a deliberate expectation; I'm not going to care as much if it's The Fast and the Furious because they are aiming at a different result. Both types of films can fail in different ways and I think it's fair to say that a film like Citizen Kane is better than Bad Boys II because it does things beyond provide visceral thrills, for instance. But ultimately Jurassic Park is a shallow film in a lot of respects, albeit an excellent one. So I think you have to approach its sequels on their own terms as well.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I missed out going to Mad Max :/ Stuff came up and didn't get a chance. Ah well, later.

Still, you can still have fun at the movies, but it doesn't need to be something super intelligent or artsy to make it good. It doesn't have to be low brow humor either. I mean, it's Jurassic Park. I don't think anyone is really expecting it to be Oscar nominated for best picture or anything, though.

But ultimately Jurassic Park is a shallow film in a lot of respects, albeit an excellent one. So I think you have to approach its sequels on their own terms as well.

Exactly. JP never felt THAT interested in the questions it asked via Malcolm, Grant/Ellie, and Hammond. It's always been a shallow experience--a supremely crafted one, but still shallow.

I don't think Jurassic World is posturing as a scientific/intellectual experience. It will probably pay as much lip service as JP did and then get to what everyone came for: the dinosaurs. As the sequels showed us, simply having dinosaurs in the movie don't make it good, so I'm mostly looking forward to what Trevorrow brought to the table there.

Jurassic Park basically CREATED this brand of filmmaking. That is what is behind the idea of this film. The summer blockbusters always raising the stakes.

If anything, this movie can hopefully make people stop and think that maybe seeing smaller things can be cool too. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see pure dinosaurs in a film on a smaller scale because they're "wow enough". It's just, sometimes, some people need to be reminded of that and that is this movie's purpose.

If people rally and raise a stink, I realize that this movie is doing its job. Because execs start thinking "they want dinos? Let's give em dinos." And indie filmmakers may go "you call that a dino flick, I'll show you a dino flick". And nature shows will go "you think those are dinosaurs? We'll show you real dinosaurs."

This could potentially be awesome.

The problem with the sequels is that everything excited about the premise of these films are already covered in the original movie on so many levels and are done so magnificently.

In 1993, there was no other movie before JP that brought Dinosaurs to life the way Jurassic Park did. When the movie starts, it takes its time to introduce the dinosaurs to you and they do it softly incorporating beautiful wide pans and a brilliant soundtrack by Williams to move you. The vegans and stoner dinosaurs are first introduced to kinda ease you in and let you grasp the wonder of these once majestic creatures. You have a sense of discovery and you're given an appreciation for their beauty as you revisit what they were like.

The tables turn when things go wrong for the human characters and now we are thrust into the reality of their predators' nature. The movie uses this as a fun juxtaposition to remind us why it would be hard for humans and dinosaurs to coexist.

And, well, there it is. You are given both ends of the stick with characters who only serve as a window into that world. Their sense of awe and fear are ours and that's all they needed to be. I did not need to understand their worldviews, feelings, politics...whatever. When you have a T-Rex trying to nibble your butt, it doesn't matter.

With that said, I think these are the only elements that lend itself to an exciting story on this subject and clearly, the last few sequels were a rehash. I don't think any movie, including this one, are going to uncover new ground or give the same sense of discovery JP did back in '93. The characters don't need depth. At this point, the only thing these unnecessary sequels can do is just try to be fun.
The thing about this film that got me excited was finally getting to see Hammond's vision finally realized. I think that's the new ground that the other films haven't covered.

Now post-JW...

Altazor

You know what kinda disappointed me? The deaths in the movie. Now, it may sound shallow at first, but bear with me for a while: a lot of the deaths in JP fucking scarred me. Gennaro, Nedry, Muldoon - they were not exactly gruesome, but they had quite an impact. They felt scary and filled with dread.

Hell, you could say the same about some of the deaths in TLW - Eddie Carr, Peter Stormare and the compys. The characters might not have been all that, but the deaths were chilling.

I don't think any death in JW reaches that level, to be honest.

EDIT: except maybe one.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
TLW had a high body count.

Well yeah, there was the group of poachers that made up the bulk of the deaths. Still wasn't too many, considering. The t-rex in San Diego only killed like, 1 guy and 1 dog.

The thing about this film that got me excited was finally getting to see Hammond's vision finally realized. I think that's the new ground that the other films haven't covered.

Now post-JW...

That's the big draw for me. A "what if it DID open"? Not just people going to an island with dinos roaming freely. Although that was neat about TLW at the time.

EDIT:
You know what kinda disappointed me? The deaths in the movie. Now, it may sound shallow at first, but bear with me for a while: a lot of the deaths in JP fucking scarred me. Gennaro, Nedry, Muldoon - they were not exactly gruesome, but they had quite an impact. They felt scary and filled with dread.

As kid, seeing a guy getting eaten off the toilet was hilarious! It was the talk of the schoolyard because haha toilet.

Timu

Well yeah, there was the group of poachers that made up the bulk of the deaths. Still wasn't too many, considering. The t-rex in San Diego only killed like, 1 guy and 1 dog.
I think the majority of the poachers were killed by raptors and there were over 20 of them!!!

Altazor

As kid, seeing a guy getting eaten off the toilet was hilarious! It was the talk of the schoolyard because haha toilet.

LOL, yeah, well - maybe not Gennaro. I had such a strange, dissonant reaction to that death - I laughed at the fact that it happened on a toilet, but it still horrified me :D

JP1 is really the only quality, "good" one.

After JP1, I'd watch JP2 and JP3 just to know the history of the franchise. And it is an interesting one. JP2 has a great first act, and some real good moments (I personally enjoyed every single action scene in JP2), but ultimately is Speilberg phoning in the third act.

JP3 is so odd that it sort of doesn't even count as part of the franchise, more like a spin-off film. To clarify: JP3 is a Joe Johnston film. That should tell you everything.

BahamutPT

No-spoiler quick impressions

Just came out of the theatre. Really liked it, although I left with the feeling Chris Pratt didn't fit (but it may have been the stupid dialogs). Also found the older kid way too annoying.

The last ~20 minutes were amazing IMO.

Felt like it took too long to start things up, but overall it's a worthy sequel to me.

LOL, yeah, well - maybe not Gennaro. I had such a strange, dissonant reaction to that death - I laughed at the fact that it happened on a toilet, but it still horrified me :D

I think it was horrifying because the dude totally ran to a *safe place*. Secluded, in the bathroom, away from the giant monster--and it ends up getting him anyways. Like, there's no place to hide. This thing is gonna find you, even if it's by accident.

And then fucking Malcolm decides to be a hero and gets him killed.

P.S. I love the Rex's ALMOST adorable grunts of curiosity as it looks at him.

EDIT: Actually, question to those who have seen it: how are the I-Rex's sounds? Roars, grunts, etc., all that. Have only heard part of its roar once in the trailers/clips, but otherwise, they've been using the Rex's roar :-|

JP3 is so odd that it sort of doesn't even count as part of the franchise, more like a spin-off film. To clarify: JP3 is a Joe Johnston film. That should tell you everything.

It really does kinda feel like "Jurassic Park Chronicles: Alan Grant" or something like that.

Superflat

Exactly. JP never felt THAT interested in the questions it asked via Malcolm, Grant/Ellie, and Hammond. It's always been a shallow experience--a supremely crafted one, but still shallow.

I don't think Jurassic World is posturing as a scientific/intellectual experience. It will probably pay as much lip service as JP did and then get to what everyone came for: the dinosaurs. As the sequels showed us, simply having dinosaurs in the movie don't make it good, so I'm mostly looking forward to what Trevorrow brought to the table there.

A big part of the first film was talking about ethics in science, responsibility of power, and respecting nature, but all they amounted to were interesting ideas in the air that would enhance and give flavor to the experience of witnessing living dinosaurs and the dangers that come when everything goes to shit. The characters lacked virtually any depth and were basically vehicles that would recite different perspectives on what the effect of bringing dinosaurs back would mean. They're not flawed, they hardly talk like real people, and are in service of the spectacle of dinos. The lawyer who can't stop talking about money, impossibly optimistic old man with a vision, snarky chaotician, fat unhappy backstabbing weasel, etc.

That said, none of those are necessarily cons, unless you have a rigid stance on what makes a good film and good characters. Despite what some would say are weaknesses, the film was incredibly memorable because of the way it was directed and truly inspired sequences. There's not much in the way of plot and themes aren't stuck to like gospel. It's a film that's more than the sum of its parts, and its ability to stand the test of time is aided by a heavy layer of traditional cinema and state of the art visuals integrated in a incredibly smart way. It's a great film and is among my all-time favorites, if not my #1 influential film.

I don't expect JW to come anywhere near JP impact-wise, but it's sounding like a good time and captures some of the magic of dinosaurs after over a decade. JW seems to have a tone of its own, and will effectively replace the previous two sequels as the first sequel that wasn't half-assed.

It really does kinda feel like "Jurassic Park Chronicles: Alan Grant" or something like that.

As long as they keep bribing him with money, he'll keep going back to the dinosaurs

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't expect JW to come anywhere near JP impact-wise, but it's sounding like a good time and captures some of the magic of dinosaurs after over a decade. JW seems to have a tone of its own, and will effectively replace the previous two sequels as the first sequel that wasn't half-assed.

I just heard one Youtube spoiler-free review with saying they thought it might even be BETTER than JP! I wonder if they were younger? Maybe they didn't grow up with it like a lot of us did. It's just something you wouldn't really hear.

Hell, you could say the same about some of the deaths in TLW - Eddie Carr, Peter Stormare and the compys. The characters might not have been all that, but the deaths were chilling.

I don't think any death in JW reaches that level, to be honest.

EDIT: except maybe one.
I havent seen the movie yet, but compared to what I've seen in trailers and clips, the big difference is tension. Those deaths in JP? Each one had build-up to them, were character-driven, and had a big "exclamation point" moment to highlight the death.

Gennaro seeing the vibrations, realizing what was happening, fleeing and leaving the kids, hiding in the toilet, ending with the t-rex chomping down
Nedry being a weasel, his clumsiness leading to his death, the stalking of the dilophosaurus, ending with the reveal of the dino in the car
Muldoon being the skilled hunter and cautious expert, the cat-and-mouse with the raptor, "clever girl", ending with the raptor pouncing

While in JW, you got a lot of people, squads of soldiers, more dinosaurs. More dino chaos rather than build up to individual deaths

A big part of the first film was talking about ethics in science, responsibility of power, and respecting nature, but all they amounted to were interesting ideas in the air that would enhance and give flavor to the experience of witnessing living dinosaurs and the dangers that come when everything goes to shit. The characters lacked virtually any depth and were basically vehicles that would recite different perspectives on what the effect of bringing dinosaurs back would mean. They're not flawed, they hardly talk like real people, and are in service of the spectacle of dinos. The lawyer who can't stop talking about money, impossibly optimistic old man with a vision, snarky chaotician, fat unhappy backstabbing weasel, etc.

God, I would LOVE if they took the sequel into a more intellectual direction. Focus on themes, but don't relegate dinos to the background (of course). Instead, personalize them more! I think the dinos excel when they feel like animals with actual personalities, like any other animal. You had a lot of this in the first JP and then lost a lot of it.

Reedirect

Just came back from a screening. Not a hardcore Jurassic Park fan, but this is probably the second best in the series. It's a surprisingly bold blockbuster, not afraid to take some risks, but most of them pay off in a great way. Chris Pratt brings his best despite some poor dialogue. I'm really happy with how it turned out, the trailers didn't make it look too exciting.

Altazor

I havent seen the movie yet, but compared to what I've seen in trailers and clips, the big difference is tension. Those deaths in JP? Each one had build-up to them, were character-driven, and had a big "exclamation point" moment to highlight the death.

Gennaro seeing the vibrations, realizing what was happening, fleeing and leaving the kids, hiding in the toilet, ending with the t-rex chomping down
Nedry being a weasel, his clumsiness leading to his death, the stalking of the dilophosaurus, ending with the reveal of the dino in the car
Muldoon being the skilled hunter and cautious expert, the cat-and-mouse with the raptor, "clever girl", ending with the raptor pouncing

While in JW, you got a lot of people, squads of soldiers, more dinosaurs. More dino chaos rather than build up to individual deaths

you actually got it spot on despite not havung seen the movie yet! Build-up, tension - those things aren't as prevalent in JW's death scenes as in the original. Except in one case of (vague JW spoilers)
sort-of karmic justice death of a certain character
, it tends to feel... cannon fodder-ish.

Osahi

Just back from seeing it. I had a good time. Some real exiting sequences, and Trevorow knows how to pace. Some cringeworthy moments though...

And I can't escape the feeling it jumps some sharks at times. Also, reallysuckds i tried to avoid spoilers, but was spoiled about the climax anyway.
Well, it is even referenced in the OP.

The dinosaurs in JP being relegated to the background worked really well and was very thematic in and of itself. They symbolized the danger and consequences of science gone wrong, so to speak. In the last two movies, they were relegated to just "monsters".

True, that's a better way of putting it.

Falchion

I'm fairly surprised about the reception it's getting on RT. From some of the early reports I would've guessed it would be higher but oh well. It's not like a critical consensus will stop me from enjoying any movie and with an original as good as JP, any sequel will look paler in comparison.

To those old enough, what was it like seeing JP in theaters? I was born in '92 so I never saw the movie till years later, actually I had seen The Lost World first. Seeing the animatronics and CGI for the first time must have been jaw-dropping

Opeth1337

Neo Member
Just got back from the cinema here in Sweden. I give the movie a 7.5/10 because while I enjoyed it, I wanted a little more depth to the story.

The acting was alright, and Pratt was pretty good as a action hero badass. Could totally see him as Indy after this! And the dialogue was just fine but I think it seems bad because the pacing is just all over the place in my opinion. The movie kept switching from light to dark, goofy to serious allt the time throughout the movie.

If we talk about the dinosaurs as characters then they felt real enough. They felt more like real animals than the humans felt like real humans....except in the ending. But it was still awesome!
But......while I am in no way hating on the CGI, the dinosaurs looked more real in the original and TLW if I'm honest. It's weird, I can see with my own eyes that JW's CGI is so much more detailed and they do look awesome but they still didn't look as real. I just can't explain why!

I could see myself giving it an 8/10 if I give it a second watch though, because it probably didn't help that I was exhausted from a long day of work and this damn kid that kept screaming "Those aren't real velociraptors, they are called Deinonychus!!!!"
Pretty cool that he knew that but it was still annoying as F!

(I apologise for being a terrible writer)

Edit: Wanted to add that this is only my opinion of course. Some might think the complete opposite :p

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I like looking at bad reviews sometimes. While ignoring the lengthy fan reviews on RT cause spoilers, I noticed this one:

1/2. Utterly predictable. Had everything figured out within the first 5 minutes. Bored out of my mind for 2 hours

Sounds like that person doesn't like dinosaurs. When I read reviews like this, it sounds like they didn't even care to go in the first place. Of course the trailers already set up the story. Unless these people try and come off like geniuses, because they SO TOTALLY KNOW what's going to happen -_-

Oh, how are the animatronics in JW? How often are they used?

More this?
2NrAwQU.gif

Or this?
j9wgTia.gif

Fuchsdh

To those old enough, what was it like seeing JP in theaters? I was born in '92 so I never saw the movie till years later, actually I had seen The Lost World first. Seeing the animatronics and CGI for the first time must have been jaw-dropping

I have to say I was afraid about seeing the movie when it re-released in theaters in 3D a year or two ago, because I thought it wouldn't hold up in HD or the 3D would be horrible, but it was pretty incredible. As close as I could get to the feeling of being in the theater for the first time (I hadn't ever seen it on the big screen before then.) I envy anyone who got to see it first-run though.

Thanks for the impressions! I predicted from day 1 I'd care more about the raptors than any of the humans :p

Without spoiling anything (p.s. in case you didn't know, the I-Rex's
ability to use camo
isn't widely known, so be careful there :) ), how was the I-Rex? What did it sound like?

Love that the dinosaurs seem like actual animals. I think this movie will check off all my expectations, but likely won't exceed them, although I hear the last 20-30 mins are amazing.

Oreoleo

Oh, how are the animatronics in JW? How often are they used?

My understanding is there are very few animatronics. One full animatronic (which apparently is a great scene) and some raptor shots are a mix of human puppeteers with digital overlays.

I was 6 when JP released and saw it in theaters 3 times. The first time, I buried my head in my moms lap from the paddock scene to the end of the movie because it was so loud and scary. Each subsequent time I got a little more relaxed and was able to watch a majority of the film :p

It was amazing. The Abyss and Terminator 2 sort of set a expectation for 3D graphics. JP was that massive next leap. The trailers leading up to the release barely showed anything of the dinosaurs so every shot and every dino moment was surprising. That and the movie was just so well crafted. It was Spielberg's big comeback movie too as he had a couple blah movies in between that shook people's confidence.

It was a perfect marriage of suspense and ground breaking technology that put something fresh on screen that you had to go see. In the end I saw it 3 times in the theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom