• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Guys I am debating to buy IMAX od Dbox tickets.

For DBOX i have to wait 1 week, cz this weekend all seats are gone.

Is this worth watching in IMAX?

Let me put down the prices

IMAX -19.50$
Dbox - 24$~
UltraAVX - 17.50$

Suggestions?

Toa TAK

Banned
Just do what I do. Large popcorn and large Icee. A water, even, depending on how long the movie is.

Usually I have to double everything (like tonight) when I bring people. The Imax ticket, popcorn, and drink. Movies are always an expensive run for me, but it's totes worth it.

The first point i just can't believe. I know they spin that bullshit about how they dinosaurs are basically viewed like elephants but i don't buy that for a second. I'm sure eventually interest would wane but no way it happens that quick. We still have zoos around the world attracting huge numbers of visitors and here we're talking about a park with dinosaurs. You can see a T-rex, ride dinosaurs, go in glass vehicles and drive around with giant dinosaurs, see a mosasaur up close and personal etc. Considering how small that park is it would be basically sold out all the time new attractions or not. I just wasn't convinced that there was a need to make a genetic hybrid to attract customers and i don't think it would work anyway.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but think this is interesting. However, you're thinking really logically here. Think about when scientists try to clone babies or sheep to prove it's possible. Think about Seaworld, not Zoos. Think about corruption on Wall Street.

Logically, yes, one would think a dinosaur zoo would never be boring compared to today's zoo's. But zoos are everywhere, and this is in one location, no? Even if that affected nothing, greed, corruption and curiosity is enough to sell me on why they'd make a new dinosaur and hope to make history and get a bunch of bonuses from it.

Hoskins motivations were laughable. The idea of raptors being used for military purposes is dumb on so many levels that i just can't buy the idea that anyone was actually seriously considering it.

I really hate the raptor team training nonsense, since the second I saw it in the trailer and even now with all the discussion and justification that's taken place. That said, and I'm yet to see how it's portrayed in the film (Friday!) but the idea that someone might think "Hey, the military has used dolphins before, can we use these badasses in war?" is something I'd be afraid would really happen if dinosaurs existed and could be tamed. Then again, dolphin use was very specific and we don't use lions and bears, to my knowledge. So yeah, that's weird.

1) Take an Ibuprofen in case post-movie headache
2)Bathroom break
3)Buy Popcorn layer it with butter
4)Get soft drink or water so mouth doesn't become dry
5)Sit down in the middle if possible, or top for maximum surround sound experience
6)???
7)PROFIT

Guys I am debating to buy IMAX od Dbox tickets.

For DBOX i have to wait 1 week, cz this weekend all seats are gone.

Is this worth watching in IMAX?

Let me put down the prices

IMAX -19.50$
Dbox - 24$~
UltraAVX - 17.50$

Suggestions?
I'd go with Dbox. I don't think anything opens in IMAX for a while besides Terminator right? Feels like Dbox runs are always pretty short at least when we had them in my area. Besides, while the movie looks like it has nice visuals and all, it wasn't filmed in IMAX, or 65 mm anymore (I think), so you won't be missing as much besides a bigger screen and better sound. That is, if your theater is not a lie-max lmao.

Planning on a bucket of beer, fried pickles, and a burger, myself.

God bless the Alamo Drafthouse.
Heard the ones in Austin are gonna have a dude in a fake raptor suit running around. I think they put up a promo of it.

I'm already "okay" with the concept of "we need something bigger, badder, etc., than the last" for the I-Rex, because it makes sense to me. I don't know if people really would get bored with "regular" dinosaurs, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility, considering the blasé attitude the general public takes towards tech/science that would have been mind-blowing a decade ago.

There is some suspension of disbelief required, but I've always been okay with a movie saying, "Okay, this is the world that we're in when the story starts". Reminds me of the "but a blight is impossible" arguments for Interstellar, which I never understood and didn't detract from the movie for me.

If they somehow make the concept stupider or completely flub how its handled in the movie, I could see myself disappointed, but "corporate greed leads to a deadly shark jump" really isn't that unbelievable to me. I'm pretty cynical, though.

Heard the ones in Austin are gonna have a dude in a fake raptor suit running around. I think they put up a promo of it.

Yeah, I'm actually pissed about that, because when JW tickets FIRST went on sale w/Alamo, that location wasn't an option, so I picked the next best theatre. They added that theatre shortly after :-|

Dead

well not really...yet
I'd go with Dbox. I don't think anything opens in IMAX for a while besides Terminator right? Feels like Dbox runs are always pretty short at least when we had them in my area. Besides, while the movie looks like it has nice visuals and all, it wasn't filmed in IMAX, or 65 mm anymore (I think), so you won't be missing as much besides a bigger screen and better sound. That is, if your theater is not a lie-max lmao.

Fake raptor suit? Damn, a real one would be cool though

Blablurn

Put M&Ms in your popcorn.

Oh my gawd. That sounds like perfection.

CHO5TP9UwAApw5V.jpg:large

chimpden

Just back from watching this. It was OK and worth watching but I wouldn't say it was better than a 6/10. The
military applications subplot
was weak and the kids were not that great. I got my money's worth but I hope they reconsider their plan to turn it in to a regular franchise as I'm not that interested in seeing a sequel.

I rewatched the trilogy in anticipation and must say The Lost World actually surprised me, I hadn't seen it again since it came out I think and it's not nearly as bad as I imagined it to be, except for the cheesy gymnastic attack, at least it feels like it has some depth and not as disposable as JP3.

Sanke__

So is the 3d in the movie ok?

I hate that there are no 2d imax showings and I feel like it should definitely be seen in imax

I rewatched the trilogy in anticipation and must say The Lost World actually surprised me, I hadn't seen it again since it came out I think and it's not nearly as mad as I imagined it to be, except for the cheesy gymnastic attack, at least it feels like it has some depth and not as disposable as JP3.

I just watched the end of this last night as well, ironically starting at the gymastics part lol.

Aside from all the things that don't make sense, the thing that I always wondered about since I was like... 7 and the movie released.... how the shit did the boat crew die? They were mauled/eaten/dismembered... but the T-Rex is entirely too big to get into the cabin/quarters. There was like no structural damage from the attack outside of it crashing. It's always bothered me lol. Did a pack of raptors get in.... then jump off at some point?

Timu

I just watched the end of this last night as well, ironically starting at the gymastics part lol.

Aside from all the things that don't make sense, the thing that I always wondered about since I was like... 7 and the movie released.... how the shit did the boat crew die? They were mauled/eaten/dismembered... but the T-Rex is entirely too big to get into the cabin/quarters. There was like no structural damage from the attack outside of it crashing. It's always bothered me lol. Did a pack of raptors get in.... then jump off at some point?
They did in the original script of the movie from what I heard.

Good point, maybe the t-rex carefully sneaked out, killed everyone and went back to it's "cage" just to make a big entrance once he arrived to San Diego :D

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Yay a gif of this exists now! (At some point there should be an extended one with it trying to juggle :p)

Shame the actual episode is a poor sequel to the fantastic Holidays of Future Passed episode.

Yeah it was a bad episode. The JP stuff caught my eye and the juggling t-rex was great though :p Just good timing.

I think you should delete your review. The team behind the movie have been trying to make a living - it is their business you are affecting with your negative comment. Can't you tell they are trying to help dinosaurkind through their artistry? DELETE YOUR REVIEW!

Tee hee hee :p

Anyhow, 11 hours left for me. *sigh* Being a west coaster sometimes...

Superflat

I'm getting antsy. I'm getting antsy. And it's not even close to Saturday.

Auuuggghhhhhhh

Why am I still looking at this thread. I read a review that sorta spoiled something that happens that I had no idea about.

Save me

Save yourselves

Fuchsdh

Good point, maybe the t-rex carefully sneaked out, killed everyone and went back to it's "cage" just to make a big entrance once he arrived to San Diego :D

That part never really bothered me, because I assumed that the T. rex went back into the cargo hold, and before dying someone managed to close the door. The ability of the T. rex to kill the people in enclosed spaces without leaving any damage was my bugbear.

I do like the shot of the T. rex leaving the harbor and then passing the windows of people who are just not paying any attention to what's going on outside.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So what's the 3D situation here dudes, should I make a point of seeing it in 2D? It's kind of my modus operandi these days, it's just a little inconvenient since there are fewer showtimes.

Finaika

Just came back. It was... ok.

Loved the raptor parts and the final battle
T-Rex is still king!

Other than that... meh.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Those look gorgeous, they have 3 different ones here in Mexico, looking to get the third one tonight.

Bgvc2Tc.jpg

O1sfCs6.jpg

I'm jealous, those look great!

I saw it in my sleep last night and would give it a negative sixty-five million.

I think I had about around 3 dreams (2 I can remember) where the movie was leaked out online and I magically already had it was was watching through. There was an actual scene with Owen and a raptor fist-bumping. Too bad...

Nah, no way man. OG is still the standard that future sequels will need to live up to, although that said Jurassic World does a pretty darn fine job - better than the Lost World and 3.

As for complaints about the kids being annoying, only the bigger brother is annoying. The little kid is pretty much the vessel for kids who will undoubtedly watch this.

JP1 > JW > JP2 > JP3.

JP1 without nostalgia googles should not be rated that high.

I think I had about around 3 dreams (2 I can remember) where the movie was leaked out online and I magically already had it was was watching through. There was an actual scene with Owen and a raptor fist-bumping. Too bad...

I've had dreams about this as far as two years ago. The first involved it being about kids riding some kind of waterslide through the park with an aquatic dino after them, and it ended with the camera panning underwater revealing an undersea park called Jurassic Sea lol

Just saw this a few hours ago. Very entertaining movie. Like most reviews I'm gonna say that the core plot holds up(Pratt and Howard stuff).

D'nofrio and the Kids subplots pull it down. Felt like the Military subplot was there as hold outs from the previous script(Weaponized Dinos). Maybe Universal Execs really wanted to up the action with the idea of conflict between a military force and Dinos but Treverrow tried to fit it in as an exploitation subplot.

The older kid needed more acting lessons, Iron Man kid is better but their sub plot is boring. Attaching the family story didnt work. Treverrow probably wanted to attach the viewers to the kids more compared to JP1 but failed.

The ending fight was fantastically ridiculous. I was laughing so hard with excitement. Almost the same glee from watching the ending fights in both Avengers movies and the Hongkong fight in Pacific Rim. I predict a lot of JP fans are gonna hate that fight. Much like they hate TLW and JP3. Boy, if they didnt like raptor bros... jeez will they hate that fight.

Also predicting the meme "Blue Legolas" or "Raptor Legolas"

All in all, still a very fun movie!

I was the only one in my theater that got "You're my boy blue!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom