• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile in Venezuela:

94TmDqr.jpg

(Jurassic Bread)

Symphonic

Anyone else here looking forward to playing the LEGO Jurassic World game? I only have 90 minutes free tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to starting it. Also how's the iOS Jurassic World game? Need my Jurassic fix before I see the movie next weekend :p

iOS game is actually really excellent as long as you're patient and like games where you just check in for 10 minutes a day or so. Really rewards patience and building stuff up slowly.

Is LEGO Jurassic World coming to OS X? Can't find info on that anywhere.

Anyone else here looking forward to playing the LEGO Jurassic World game? I only have 90 minutes free tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to starting it. Also how's the iOS Jurassic World game? Need my Jurassic fix before I see the movie next weekend :p
Looking forward to hopefully buy it tonight when coming out of the movie! I tried the iOS game, I guess it's fine if you didn't play Jurassic Park Builder but I played the crap out of it a while ago so it bored me (from what I saw it's a reskinned JP Builder with dino battles)

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It was good. Had a couple flaws but every JP does in a way. Came together nicely overall. I mean, yeah it's got a lot of action but it's a new spin on the typical park meltdown.

Bernbaum

I've been looking forward to you fellow OG spoiler thread peoples' impressions.

Tomorrow night for me and my tike.
It's fantastically well-paced. Nothing is forced or unnecessary. The star of the show for me was bar far the new score. It's so good. Well, my favourite moment in the movie I'll spoil:
trex smashing the spinosaurus skeleton

Masrani was a completely different character to what I was expecting. He was more understanding and human. Apart from nameless troopers getting chomped, character deaths had more meaning than I thought they would.

There are some dumb moments, but they really don't matter because the rest of the film is so much fun.

I'll draft up my full impressions later, but it was excellent. We were fully engaged the entire film. Some of the complaints levelled at the film in this thread and elsewhere are valid, but it's thoroughly entertaining and I think one of the very best sequels they could have made with the franchise.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad I won't be seeing anyone at my theater :p Pretty sure I'm one of the few west-coasters here.

And holy crap I didn't realize Lego JW was out tomorrow! I for some reason wrote down June 30th, unless that was an old release date? Called to make sure that they would hold the Lego bonus for when I go in tomorrow :) Nice!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't find any JP shirts in time :/ Booo... I mean I COULD take one of my old JP toys, but no. Too much for me.

SoldnerKei

couldn't get a Jurassic Park shirt, but since the cinema is inside a mall perhaps I can get one before the movie lol

just 5 hrs 'til the screening! also lol at the Jurassic Pan xD

Bernbaum

Ah man, it's just so fucking cool to see a functional park. They absolutely nail the amusement park feel - crowds and all. That hits pretty hard early on in the film.

Not sure if I'll rewatch this immediately again tonight or wait until later in the weekend.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* Amazon has some nice shirts, too. There's a logo surrounded by Compys, a "Clever Girl" raptor, head, and a green outlined raptor head. Too bad they won't be delivered within a few hours :/

I would say the movie is very enjoyable if you ignore some really awful characters.

+The park itself is awesome. I'd love for a park like that to exist!
+CG was great! Nothing stuck out poorly.
+Score was good, although for me, there wasn't any memorable new themes.
+Some good action/tension.
+Chris Pratt did a good job with crappy material. Masrani was my only favourite character in this.
+Good easter eggs.

-Some insanely dumb moments
-The kids are awful. Utterly detestable.
-Most of the characters are really boring and unmemorable.
-The story/plot felt very contrived and unnatural. JP1 was awesome for the random unscripted stuff.

Jazzem

Just got back from seeing it, loved it :) I was so fearful I wouldn't ahah.

It gave me tremendous, well made and imaginative blockbuster entertainment, which is all I wanted out of a new Jurassic Park film. It doesn't quite beat the first film, but it's easily better than the lousy sequels and an excellent modern action movie in its own right.

I think more than anything, this shows how important tone is to a film. I accepted a lot of the goofier stuff because the film had a strong sense of fun, unlike relentlessly dour yet dumb action flicks like Man of Steel and Godzilla (2014).

Ah man, it's just so fucking cool to see a functional park. They absolutely nail the amusement park feel - crowds and all. That hits pretty hard early on in the film.

Not sure if I'll rewatch this immediately again tonight or wait until later in the weekend.

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

As a kid I used to imagine how I would run a fully operational Jurassic Park. I sort of got to do that with Operation Genesis. But all of those abandoned buildings in the sequel films teased me to no end.

Bernbaum

That's exactly what I'm looking for!

As a kid I used to imagine how I would run a fully operational Jurassic Park. I sort of got to do that with Operation Genesis. But all of those abandoned buildings in the sequel films teased me to no end.
It's gutting to see the beautifully designed resort and pavilion turn to shit. You'll really wish that Jurassic World existed.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from seeing it, loved it :) I was so fearful I wouldn't ahah.

It gave me tremendous, well made and imaginative blockbuster entertainment, which is all I wanted out of a new Jurassic Park film. It doesn't quite beat the first film, but it's easily better than the lousy sequels and an excellent modern action movie in its own right.

I think more than anything, this shows how important tone is to a film. I accepted a lot of the goofier stuff because the film had a strong sense of fun, unlike relentlessly dour yet dumb action flicks like Man of Steel and Godzilla (2014).

I think this is what most of us want out of this. None of the huge fans here are sitting here, picking it apart too much. I mean, I see spoiler bars that talk about certain parts that weren't favorable, but not that those were enough to ruin the movie!

I'm gunna be busy tonight reading through those spoils here, on the actual spoiler topic, and post my thoughts and whatnot.

I really can't wait... The GOOD scenes in Godzilla made me feel like a kid again (not that I'm not basically a big kid anyways :p) but of course, it wasn't frequent through the movie. However, when I went to Guardians of the Galaxy, I knew all along that the movie would be super fun, and that experience was the first time in a LONG time that I really had fun and enjoyed a movie throughout, without worrying about the time or anything! It was a great experience :) I want that again with JW, but double, triple, etc.

Calcium

Banned
I don't know how I'm going to get through work tomorrow. I'm really starting to wish I bought tickets for one of the showings tonight. Gonna be a long wait.

Timbuktu

Indeed, it is a good ride and manage to better then than other sequels by repeating a lot of the beats of the first movie. It's been long enough that it can play that nostalgia card. It's not as good a thriller as thr first and obviously knows it can't recreate that sense of wonder, but that self awareness coupled with attempts at humour and going OTT made this more fun.

The final fight was a bit ridiculous in that it reminds me of Godzilla and a WWE fight at the same time. You know this tag team match is staged and fake to give fans what they want, but you have to go along with it anyway.

Pratt is very watchable again and reminds me so much of Nathan Drake, but i hope he doesn't waste time with the sequels, the obvious set up here doesn't seem that interesting. This one is a lot better than I thought after the trailers, but it's still relying on repeating the first movie. If they try to make any more they will run into the same problems as the others and be complete trash.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
More random Amazon I'm looking at to kill time. I'm definitely going to get Papos, but yeesh the Spino sure skyrocketed in value!

Bed sheets with awesome designs on them.

Really like the design of this shirt.

kiri

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the product placement in this movie. It really killed the first half of the movie for me.

Newman96

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the product placement in this movie. It really killed the first half of the movie for me.

Yeah, I found it particularly noticeable and kind of annoying. It's not something I usually pick up on in films but it was hard to miss here. Although I suppose in defence of the product placement, it's not unrealistic that a theme park would have Starbucks cafes.

Bernbaum

I only noticed the Samsung centre. I felt all product placement was effectively nullified with Jake Johnson's narcissism about Indominus Rex and corporate-sponsored dinosaurs.

Worst product placement goes to The Lost World with Sarah Harding "is that a Nikon, can I borrow that".

JW's product placement was realistic for a theme park setting.

kiri

I only noticed the Samsung centre. I felt all product placement was effectively nullified with Jake Johnson's narcissism about Indominus Rex and corporate-sponsored dinosaurs.

Worst product placement goes to The Lost World with Sarah Harding "is that a Nikon, can I borrow that".

JW's product placement was realistic for a theme park setting.
True points, but I guess I just felt it was off-putting with the *takes a huge chug of ice-cold Coke* and the way the logo of the various brands was always super front and centre.

The various Easter Eggs in the first half almost made up for it though!

Bernbaum

A crowd full off fans definitely helps. Our screening was 100% sold out an everyone there looked to be in their 20's and 30's - mostly people that grew up with Jurassic Park in the 90's. It was the perfect audience for premiere night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom