• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these primarily positive reviews, you guys.

tumblr_inline_nnynqwrIdJ1sqfybj_500.gif

Just saw the movie. Nz here.

Great movie. Omg, it caught me off guard, i thought this movie was gonna suck. chris pratt was good, the cgi was good (most of the time), there are uses of animatronics but very minimalistic. Most things happening are very predictable. Lots of ppol actually die here; i was suprised due to it being a pg 13 film. The final battle was fuckin amazing...however
when the indominous rex got bitten by the big water dino, it was executed in a very weird way...why couldnt the t rex just push the indominous rex into the water then the water dino pop up and take him out. none the less, it was very predictable also. The part when the raptor pops up in slow motion before proceeding to save the trex's life was very cringeworthy lol

i also predicted another scenario that would happen regarding someone stealing/taking away some dino eggs or genes out of the island....and yup ot happened again...for the 4th time in the franchise wow. And was that red haired chick wearing high heals throughout the entire film??? Especially during that part when she lured the trex in?

Solid film. 8/10.

JP1 (i mean c'mmo lol) > JW > JP2 >>>>> JP3

Dwayne

Completely surprised by the reactions here - I just saw it and thought it was bloody awful. Heaps of hammy lines, no chemistry between Pratt and Howard, cringey child actors and just lacking excitement or tension. 1/10.

Completely surprised by the reactions here - I just saw it and thought it was bloody awful. Heaps of hammy lines, no chemistry between Pratt and Howard, cringey child actors and just lacking excitement or tension. 1/10.

This is what the trailers/clips sure made it seem to be. I still have no idea if I'll bother seeing it in a theater.

Manu

1/10 lol

That's how Metacritic user reviews are born.

I'm litterally feeling like a kid the night before christmas

Tomorrow night can't come soon enough

Ty Simpkins' excitement when he gets to the park is so fitting of how I felt driving to the theater to see this. I just want Jurassic World to be a real place, damn it!

Hamlet

Several people in my row left during the film, no joke.
What part of the film did they "walk" out of lol. Also did anyone perhaps fall asleep whilst watching it?

Please someone I need the tear in GIF

-----

Hoping that it'll hold onto a 70% or more RT. doesn't matter but that's what I want.
DBE0ixM.gif

Shame the actual episode is a poor sequel to the fantastic Holidays of Future Passed episode.

1/10...

Did the movie burn your house down or something?

I think you should delete your review. The team behind the movie have been trying to make a living - it is their business you are affecting with your negative comment. Can't you tell they are trying to help dinosaurkind through their artistry? DELETE YOUR REVIEW!

Razmos

I think you should delete your review. The team behind the movie have been trying to make a living - it is their business you are affecting with your negative comment. Can't you tell they are trying to help dinosaurkind through their artistry? DELETE YOUR REVIEW!
XS5LK.gif

Just saw it. I really, really didn't like it. There was potential for something really good here, but none of it came together for me. It was majorly lacking any memorable action set piece or characterization. The dialogue was bloody awful. Even the attempts at self aware humour fell flat for me.

I kinda regret watching the other films this week, because i'd place all of them above this. Yes, even III.

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I think Jurassic Park franchise is my Star Wars and I that I am a MASSIVE fan even of the sequels so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

At first I was a little dissappointed, I kept waiting for the film to hit me the way the first film did but beat after beat I was left hanging waiting, even when the JP theme kicked in it did nothing for me and if I'm honest there really wasn't any payoff in that regards.

Everything about the film was a little too on the nose for me thematically. It beats you about the head constantly with regards to treating the animals like products to be exploited and the dangers of doing so.

A lot of the characters are superfluous and there is very little in the way of character arcs/progression. The younger brother didn't bother me, I felt as if I was seeing the film through his eyes but the older brother is so cliche it started to grate on me a bit.

Now all that is out the way. Holy shit.

Acts 2 and 3 were a joy for me, I had misty eyes, goosebumps and was grinning from ear to ear pretty much constantly.

There are a LOT of nods to the first film and even some things adapted from the first book by the way of props, dialogue and events.

Don't listen to anyone who says this is on par with JP3, it isn't even in the same galaxy let alone ballpark. JW is the sequel I've been waiting 14 years for and while I was a little disappointed I think they did the best with what they had, there are only so many ways you can tell a dinosaurs on an island story.

If I had the time I would have bought another ticket and would have watched the film end to end straight away.

xam3l

dead2.gif

Just saw a screening tonight and thought it was awful. The logic of the movie was really dumb, when you think about pretty much anything that happens in the movie even basic character interactions it all falls apart. Even the soundtrack which i thought would be the saving grace fell completely flat. As a sucker for nostalgia i figured i might at least get some enjoyment there but despite the blatant attempts to reference the original i just felt nothing.

Quite often i find reading some slightly below average reviews for a movie helps keep my expectations in check. In this case it ended up falling when below that bar anyway. I'd put it ahead of JP3 as the 3rd best in the franchise but that's not saying anything really.

RPGCrazied

Is it any worse than the 3rd movie? Its my least favorite, and I didn't find Lost World that bad. Of course the first movie is still the best.

Is it any worse than the 3rd movie? Its my least favorite, and I didn't find Lost World that bad. Of course the first movie is still the best.

It's better than the 3rd but that really isn't saying anything. Having said that at least the 3rd one was short, there was way too much filler and awful content in this movie.

Fuchsdh

You know I don't really see how people are saying the score is just like Williams. Giacchino's stuff sounds a lot more like film cinema throwback in a lot of places (that's not really a bad thing, just a massive contrast with the more in-vogue Zimmer school of film scoring) and his use of voice and putting the strings so far in front are very unlike Williams.

It sounds good, but no way it sounds like a Williams score.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Man, I can't wait till Sunday to see this. Looking forward to just more Dino movies.

JP3 was ALL filler. The main arc of this film makes sense even if the motivations for making the Indominus are a bit weak.

Regardless it was very short so i could deal with that. Completely disagree with your second point, basically nothing makes sense in this film. The logic and motivations of the characters make no sense and the more i think about it the more things fall apart.

Roussow

Just saw it, was alright. Effects were quite impressive -- especially a close up scene with a Brontosaurus, which was some of the Dinosaur effects I've seen.

The two kids were a little one note, and were really supporting characters to Howard and Pratt, which I appreciate. Pratt and Howard didn't necessarily have the greatest chemistry, but gave decent performances independently.

Also, was I imagining Charlie Day in this movie? he basically played his same character from Pacific Rim -- but I can't find him credited anywhere, so now I'm second guessing everything.

The Pratt/Raptor relationship was actually quite compelling, but Vincent Donofrio's military evil man subplot was the dumbest -- I felt they were trying a little too hard to find real world parallels in that case, which is unfortunate, because the social commentary in this movie is one of the best parts of it. Howard talking about how Dinosaurs can't cut it in the park and relying on advanced science and tech to produce new ones it's interestingly meta on the Jurassic franchise, and can be viewed as commentary on Hollywood and the general audience.

The score is mostly varients on the original, they rely on it frequently in the first act, and then it's re-imagined more creatively as the movie progresses.

Oh, and if you're a T-Rex fan -- this movie has you covered.

Regardless it was very short so i could deal with that. Completely disagree with your second point, basically nothing makes sense in this film. The logic and motivations of the characters make no sense and the more i think about it the more things fall apart.

Why though?

The park is driven by profit and every time they create a new attraction visitor numbers spike and profits go up.

As explained in the Hammond Lab scene, the dinosaurs are already spliced with frog dna to fill in the holes, the next logical step is to use different types of DNA. Much like with the first film them not realising that using frog DNA means the dinosaurs can change gender, Wu designing them to better fit their environment had unfortunate side effects.

It all ties back to Malcoms comment. "Your scientists were so preoccupied whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".

Hoskins motivations were clear, he wanted to exploit the 'product' by selling them as military applications.

Not sure why nothing makes sense in your eyes.

Hamlet

Just saw it, was alright. Effects were quite impressive -- especially a close up scene with a Brontosaurus, which was some of the Dinosaur effects I've seen.

The two kids were a little one note, and were really supporting characters to Howard and Pratt, which I appreciate. Pratt and Howard didn't necessarily have the greatest chemistry, but gave decent performances independently.

Also, was I imagining Charlie Day in this movie? he basically played his same character from Pacific Rim -- but I can't find him credited anywhere, so now I'm second guessing everything.

The Pratt/Raptor relationship was actually quite compelling, but Vincent Donofrio's military evil man subplot was the dumbest -- I felt they were trying a little too hard to find real world parallels in that case, which is unfortunate, because the social commentary in this movie is one of the best parts of it. Howard talking about how Dinosaurs can't cut it in the park and relying on advanced science and tech to produce new ones it's interestingly meta on the Jurassic franchise, and can be viewed as commentary on Hollywood and the general audience.

The score is mostly varients on the original, they rely on it frequently in the first act, and then it's re-imagined more creatively as the movie progresses.

Oh, and if you're a T-Rex fan -- this movie has you covered.

Are you taking about the guy with the
Jurassic Park shirt and mustache?
That would be Jake Johnson most famous for New Girl recently.

1/10 seems a bit...hyperbolic, at least for my scale. That's literally one step away from being among the worst movies made, for all time.

Holding steady at 72% w/average score of 6.8/10 from 100 reviews. Checked letterboxd and I have JP at 8/10 and both TLW and JP3 at 6/10.

The close up scene sounds like the same one Expendable tore apart.

I have no idea what to expect from the effects in this movie.

Why though?

The park is driven by profit and every time they create a new attraction visitor numbers spike and profits go up.

As explained in the Hammond Lab scene, the dinosaurs are already spliced with frog dna to fill in the holes, the next logical step is to use different types of DNA. Much like with the first film them not realising that using frog DNA means the dinosaurs can change gender, Wu designing them to better fit their environment had unfortunate side effects.

It all ties back to Malcoms comment. "Your scientists were so preoccupied whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".

Hoskins motivations were clear, he wanted to exploit the 'product' by selling them as military applications.

Not sure why nothing makes sense in your eyes.

The first point i just can't believe. I know they spin that bullshit about how they dinosaurs are basically viewed like elephants but i don't buy that for a second. I'm sure eventually interest would wane but no way it happens that quick. We still have zoos around the world attracting huge numbers of visitors and here we're talking about a park with dinosaurs. You can see a T-rex, ride dinosaurs, go in glass vehicles and drive around with giant dinosaurs, see a mosasaur up close and personal etc. Considering how small that park is it would be basically sold out all the time new attractions or not. I just wasn't convinced that there was a need to make a genetic hybrid to attract customers and i don't think it would work anyway.

The genetics stuff felt like bullshit in this movie. I know it has been like that in the past but i felt like they took it too far this time. Being able to communicate with the raptors in particular just felt so wrong and dumb. Whilst i disliked all the genetics talk i don't think it was as big of a problem as many other things in this movie.

Hoskins motivations were laughable. The idea of raptors being used for military purposes is dumb on so many levels that i just can't buy the idea that anyone was actually seriously considering it.

Really though that doesn't even begin to touch on some of the incredibly stupid stuff in this film. Perhaps tomorrow when it's not midnight i might elaborate a little more but i'm not sure this movies worth the effort.

lol and you all thought I was being tough Tuesday night!

BumRush

Lol okkkk. So it was one of the worst films ever made?

Xevren

I enjoyed the movie, was really skeptical from the trailers. It wasn't the best thing ever but I found it to be a fun time.

Fuchsdh

The first point i just can't believe. I know they spin that bullshit about how they dinosaurs are basically viewed like elephants but i don't buy that for a second. I'm sure eventually interest would wane but no way it happens that quick. We still have zoos around the world attracting huge numbers of visitors and here we're talking about a park with dinosaurs. You can see a T-rex, ride dinosaurs, go in glass vehicles and drive around with giant dinosaurs, see a mosasaur up close and personal etc. Considering how small that park is it would be basically sold out all the time new attractions or not. I just wasn't convinced that there was a need to make a genetic hybrid to attract customers and i don't think it would work anyway.

If you don't understand how corporations and stockholder demands would lead to that scenario, you haven't spent much time looking at how businesses are run.

Well you have to remember that this film is set in a reality where they actually did bring dinosaurs back, and I'd imagine the general public could grow tired of the concept after a while like people do with some actual theme parks and zoo's, which companies try to fight by building bigger and better experiences to regain public interest. It's tough for us to realize that because in our reality we don't have actual dinosaurs in a park, so we haven't experienced that fatigue for ourselves with this specific subject, but we have experienced similar situations.

danielreis

Neo Member
I think that two of the points people were most suspicious after the trailers were very solid on the movie: the reasons for the creation of the I-Rex and the Pratt-raptors relationship. Those two points are pretty much in the core of the script, and both are well realized, explained and executed - and sometimes even hint of some broader themes.

About the I-Rex creation,
i think it's a pretty believable scenario after the dinos have been around for a few years. Without the big novelty factor, i can imagine that park attendance would still go up but revenue be kinda of stale, with high costs of the infrastructure and personal causing less than desired profit. So the creation of a new hybrid is just a logical next step to get more revenue - they already tailored their creations to meet marketing and focus groups demands (more teeth, etc) like Wu said. Also, as Wu said, there was the pressure to "make" this next step before a competitor could do that, and again i can believe that, because a new park with new and strange dinosaurs would steal a lot of thunder of Jurassic World.

The Pratt-raptors relationship were a highlight of the movie for me. Again, it make sense that after the dinos have been around for a few years for humans to start all sort of experiments, and training would be one of the first things to happen. But at the same time, they never were
tamed and controlled, and the movie did a good job on showing this.

At the same time, the script failed to explain and explore a few other points. The military thing was kinda of weak and rushed, and the InGen/Masrani relation was confusing (
why can't Wu tell Masrani what was used to make I-Rex ? Isn't Masrani his boss and the owner of everything? Also, there were a few good located "teleport points" on this park, since everybody just shows everywhere at the same times (this a very weak link when you think about the original Jurassic Park).

But still, JW is a damn fine movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom