• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predictable and doesn't have the tension of the first film, but overall really fun movie. I enjoyed it.

Would rate it better than the Lost World and Jurassic Park III.

kswiston

So Jurassic World is looking fairly likely to hit the $1B mark.

China might hit $100M over its 5-day opening and $175-225M overall depending on legs. Most places are predicting $125-130M domestic this weekend, which would translate to $275-325M domestic.

Kinsei

Banned
Just got back from seeing it and really enjoyed myself. The trailers don't do this movie justice at all.

In line oh god oh god, lots of people wearing JP shirts.

At my theater there was a woman cosplaying as Claire.

Anyone who's seen the movie, did they have these cups at the theatre?

bEDFCYM.jpg

Going Saturday, hoping they have these.

Unfortunately mine didn't. Those would have made great water cups on a hot summer day too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm wearing my substitute JP shirt - Groudon. Eh close enough. Being the perfect age for JP and Pokemon has been amazing.

Dead

well not really...yet
So Jurassic World is looking fairly likely to hit the $1B mark.

China might hit $100M over its 5-day opening and $175-225M overall depending on legs. Most places are predicting $125-130M domestic this weekend, which would translate to $275-325M domestic.
Would be huge

6 months ago I think people were predicting that it'd be lucky to break 750Mil

Bernbaum

I'm getting nothing done at work today - just reading JW reviews and both GAF threads. I get the impression that most of North America hasn't seen it yet?

I can't get the movie out of my head - warts and all. It's very very satisfying, even though I might have overindulged on pre-release material.

Lima

Saw it today. Not horrible which completely took me by surprise. Not as good as the original but better than all sequels. That's all one could ask for really.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm getting nothing done at work today - just reading JW reviews and both GAF threads. I get the impression that most of North America hasn't seen it yet?

I can't get the movie out of my head - warts and all. It's very very satisfying, even though I might have overindulged on pre-release material.
Most showings should be starting now for early shows.

Ill be seeing it at 10pm. Thankfully with reserved seating.

Holy shit.

Holy SHIIIIIIIT

Goddamn.

This movie had nostalgia overload. When the theme started playing at the beginning I swear my entire theater was crying tears of joy,.

And that climax

When the Rex showed up the WHOLE theater started wild in' the fuck out. PURE HYPE.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A great ride.

Pratt is likeable, as is Bryce Dallas Howards (damn she's really hot-looking in this movie), and the young uns are very likable as well.

That
friendzone
scene tho.... unexpected and very funny, lol.

It opens tonight here in most theatres. I'm seeing it in just over 2 hours

Bernbaum

Holy shit.

Holy SHIIIIIIIT

Goddamn.

This movie had nostalgia overload. When the theme started playing at the beginning I swear my entire theater was crying tears of joy,.

And that climax

When the Rex showed up the WHOLE theater started wild in' the fuck out. PURE HYPE.
Yeah, there were a lot of audience members that were genuinely blown away by that. So good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it, theater really got into it during the last 30 minutes.

Can't wait! Only 3 hours to go now!!

My local theaters often have people pumped for nerdy stuff. As I mentioned in the past topic, the Avenger nerds were also huge Star Wars nerds and flipped out and cheered at the SW trailer. Only one guy cheered for JW >_>

When watching Godzilla, there was TONS of clapping just hearing him roar. At least here there will be other dino/kaiju fans :) Warm fuzzies all around!!

Kaze Kyou

I think a lot of the negative reviews are based off the reviewer desperately wanting Jurassic World to be Jurassic Park 1. There will never be a Jurassic Park 1 - however Jurassic World as its own film stands very strong, and for those who have yet to watch it, be assured that it's not as terrible as the old sequels.

I reckon this is one of the rare cases where the critics are too overly harsh on the movie. Sure it's predictable, the dialogue is off and most of the characters are one dimensional, but as a whole package it's satisfying.

Fury451

Banned
So...while it was admittedly entertaining at points, and Pratt was great, it was really a major example of an idiot plot.

The majority of the events could've been avoided immediately if the characters weren't so stupid.

Some nice callbacks, but a lot of it was blatantly playing at nostalgia. Some of it worked; climax was cool, but the movie falls apart as soon as you think about it.

So...while it was admittedly entertaining at points, and Pratt was great, it was really a major example of an idiot plot.

The majority of the events could've been avoided immediately if the characters weren't so stupid.

Some nice callbacks, but a lot of it was blatantly playing at nostalgia. Some of it worked; climax was cool, but the movie falls apart as soon as you think about it.
Same with JP.

Fury451

Banned
Same with JP.

Yeah...not nearly as much. If you care to expand ill happily discuss it, because that's a post that doesn't say much.

And the circumstances are different- only staff and a handful of tourists were in JP.

This was a fully functioning park with 20,000 guests, containment units, and staff. Way different scenarios, so stupid actions of characters trained in these scenarios make much less sense.

And saying "She's a hybrid so they weren't ready" isn't going to fly. They would've been ready.

Oreoleo

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the product placement in this movie. It really killed the first half of the movie for me.

Worst part of the movie, the first 20 minutes was a product placement assault

Verizon Wireless
Coke - Pratt drinks out of a glass bottle. Do they even make those anymore?!
Starbucks
Mercedes
Mercedes
Mercedes

Like, holy fuck. Luckily it cooled down once the kids got into the park and I forgot about it once the plot got rolling.

Overall it was pretty good. Definitely better than JP2 & 3, but I think the cinematography was a little lacking in comparison to 2. I would have preferred more animatronics, but I knew to temper my expectations in that regard going in so it wasn't a huge deal.

And the trained velociraptors weren't as eye-rollingly cheesy as I expected.

Yuterald

Just got back from seeing it! East coast here. Looooooved it. Nothing can top the original, but this was definitely WAY better than Lost World and III. Perfect summer movie with some great moments. Nothing warms the heart more than JP.

Worst part of the movie, the first 20 minutes was a product placement assault

Verizon Wireless
Coke - Pratt drinks out of a glass bottle. Do they even make those anymore?!
Starbucks
Mercedes
Mercedes
Mercedes

Like, holy fuck. Luckily it cooled down once the kids got into the park and I forgot about it once the plot got rolling.

Overall it was pretty good. Definitely better than JP2 & 3, but I think the cinematography was a little lacking in comparison to 2. I would have preferred more animatronics, but I knew to temper my expectations in that regard going in so it wasn't a huge deal.

And the trained velociraptors weren't as eye-rollingly cheesy as I expected.

Okay, let's nip this in the bud. WHAT exactly is wrong with product placement? Like what EXACTLY is wrong with it?

Would you prefer them to make up brand names? In the process of making up a brand name you'd think "So, that's a ripoff of X brand in real life wtf?" Generic knock offs would easily distract you far more than the real thing, so this whole backlash against product placement is really fucking bizarre to me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, let's nip this in the bud. WHAT exactly is wrong with product placement? Like what EXACTLY is wrong with it?

Would you prefer them to make up brand names? In the process of making up a brand name you'd think "So, that's a ripoff of X brand in real life wtf?" Generic knock offs would easily distract you far more than the real thing, so this whole backlash against product placement is really fucking bizarre to me.

Apparently the product placement has really bothered some people in the thread. You see, in the movie it makes sense. Parks DO have partnerships and sponsors with large companies. Disney, Universal, you name it! This isn't Transformers where the robots are fighting and they just HAPPENED to crash into a truck with said brand name several times, or just shoehorn in a brand that's a product not even NEEDED for the movie, plot, etc.

Sounds like Mercedes had a deal with the park. Starbucks, what park WOULDN'T want one. What did I eat when I went to the actual Jurassic Park restaurant in Hollywood? Freakin Panada Express.

daveo42

Banned
Just got out of the movie. Had a lot more fun with this over the 2nd and 3rd movies. Also way less serious than the first with room for a sequel if it gets funded. I think it will just based on the crowd.

Only real big crutch was
how much it pulled from the first film to play on nostalgia. There was a ton of it everywhere.
Still worth seeing for the spectacle and how many different product placements you can spot.

Subitai

Yeah, this was really satisfying to watch.

people near me were sad when i-rex went ham on the raptor team. Everybody clapped for t-rex and mosa at the climax.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yeah...not nearly as much. If you care to expand ill happily discuss it, because that's a post that doesn't say much.

And the circumstances are different- only staff and a handful of tourists were in JP.

This was a fully functioning park with 20,000 guests, containment units, and staff. Way different scenarios, so stupid actions of characters trained in these scenarios make much less sense.

And saying "She's a hybrid so they weren't ready" isn't going to fly. They would've been ready.

yeah, the very idea about a Jurassic World park is rather baffling, it seems like the most dangerous bet ever next to organizing landmine field tours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom