• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

Okay, let's nip this in the bud. WHAT exactly is wrong with product placement? Like what EXACTLY is wrong with it?

The fact that I know someone is paying money for their company's name or logo to be in the film. There is not one single scene where product placement was necessary to the scene. Pratt taking an ice cold sip of his Coca-Cola, the camera tilted up in *just* the right way so the Starbucks logo takes up 2/3 of the screen while a character is talking in front of it. Howard pulling up in her car with the spotless Mercedes logo front and center.

The motives are apparent, it's very in your face about it and only serves to pull you out of the movie. I don't really see how it's defendable tbh. I don't need fake brands, I'd prefer if there weren't any at all.

Maybe if they weren't so numerous I wouldn't mind. Any one of those alone isn't really that big of a deal. But seriously all 3 of those scenes take place within the span of about 15 minutes. I don't need to be advertised to when I'm watching a movie I already paid for.

Just got home from watching and man that was a ride. Easily tops TLW and JP3. Didn't top the original but that is nearly impossible.

That ending is awesome.
The whole theater started clapping when Indominus was taken done by Mosasaur

The beginning when they showed off the park for the first time and the original music started playing might have been my favorite part. Started to get a little teary-eyed. I want JW to be a real place so badly. Definitely seeing it again this weekend.

Just finish watching it. The whole movie was very nostalgia for me. I grew up loving dinosaurs ( you can prob assume that looking at my name). I am happy with the movie even with the
predictable plot and weak "villain". What more could my inner childhood ask for when I saw the raptor on top of a t-Rex fighting another t-Rex/raptor hybrid
:D

Brewmont

Banned
I read that the product placement was not pushed at all by the studio, and that they did it intentionally to make the theme park feel more realistic. Also the complaints about no feathers: they mentioned how the dinosaurs are genetically designed to be without them due to "that's what was asked by corporate", so it's intentional as well.

Just caught the movie yesterday. Was a fun summer flick and the climax was pretty awesome.

You all weren't kidding about the product placement though. The Pratt-Coke bottle bit was jarring to say the least.

Much better than JP3. Would tie it with TLW overall!

daveo42

Banned
I think it would be worth a watch every couple of years with the original. Much less a thriller and more like an adventure action blockbuster, but it was a pretty fun ride.

TheDanimal

Quick thoughts after just getting out of the theater: A really fun dinosaur movie whose terrible writing and mediocre acting is saved by Chris Pratt and Dinosaurs.
I really enjoyed it though!

Fury451

Banned
I read that the product placement was not pushed at all by the studio, and that they did it intentionally to make the theme park feel more realistic. Also the complaints about no feathers: they mentioned how the dinosaurs are genetically designed to be without them due to "that's what was asked by corporate", so it's intentional as well.

The only product placement that seemed out of place was Pandora...a jewelry store? I figure the JW gift shops would sell their own jewelry. Just kind of random. The rest was fine- it is what is expect to see at a park- Mercedes trucks and vans included.

I think I'm sold on Pratt for future action films, could not say that when I first saw the trailers for this. He was great, not once did I feel like he was too goofy to have in that role.

Yeah...not nearly as much. If you care to expand ill happily discuss it, because that's a post that doesn't say much.

And the circumstances are different- only staff and a handful of tourists were in JP.

This was a fully functioning park with 20,000 guests, containment units, and staff. Way different scenarios, so stupid actions of characters trained in these scenarios make much less sense.

And saying "She's a hybrid so they weren't ready" isn't going to fly. They would've been ready.

I mean, Ian Malcolm is supposed to be the smartest man there and he decides to distract the T-Rex when Grant already had that covered.

The park relied seemingly on Nedry alone and he was mistreated.

The consequences of amphibian DNA only came to light thanks to a lone paleontologist faster than all of the geneticists.

You're unfairly ruling the I-Rex angle out of play when that's the point of the film.

Okay, let's nip this in the bud. WHAT exactly is wrong with product placement? Like what EXACTLY is wrong with it?

Would you prefer them to make up brand names? In the process of making up a brand name you'd think "So, that's a ripoff of X brand in real life wtf?" Generic knock offs would easily distract you far more than the real thing, so this whole backlash against product placement is really fucking bizarre to me.

Honestly, why couldn't they have been written differently and not be sponsored at all?

But a fake electronics brand in JW world would have more weight than Samsung and interactive holograms that we don't see today with our own relatable Samsung products.

I like it. The worst part was the bothers' arc just didn't really work. However this film had a great balance of new and old. Enough nostalgia to keep you happy without going overboard and enough new scenarios to keep things fun and interesting. Prat and Howard were good.

Howard is fucking hot though. I mean like out of control hot in this movie. God damn.

So...while it was admittedly entertaining at points, and Pratt was great, it was really a major example of an idiot plot.

The majority of the events could've been avoided immediately if the characters weren't so stupid.

Some nice callbacks, but a lot of it was blatantly playing at nostalgia. Some of it worked; climax was cool, but the movie falls apart as soon as you think about it.

I want to know what you think is the part is where the script falls apart.

An-Det

Just got back from it and caught up with impressions. Other than some shitty scenes with the kids I rather liked it way more than I expected. I went in mostly blind, too, so that the movie
is a sequel where I expected a reboot
was a pleasant surprise. Some great nostalgia moments.

Oreoleo

Not always. A lot of times the filmmakers do it of their own volition and have to ask a company for permission before using their brand.

You might be right but there's really no way to know that before going in. The way the brands were presented felt like ads.

Jawmuncher

Yeah the product placement didn't bother me. It's what I expected from a park like that.

Yep that's the way I see it. Go to Disney or Universal and there's products every where. Makes it more believable as well me. Fake brands always stick out far more to me.

Fury451

Banned
I want to know what you think is the part is where the script falls apart.

After it escapes- not a spoiler since it's in the trailer.
There's no way that a park that size wouldn't have had every possible asset, plus others outside the park on standby to immediately contain such a dangerous threat. They even knew it was dangerous, and continue to make foolish decisions after the fact, like not immediately evacuating everyone or at least putting them on complete lockdown until well after the breach.

I mean, Ian Malcolm is supposed to be the smartest man there and he decides to distract the T-Rex when Grant already had that covered.

The park relied seemingly on Nedry alone and he was mistreated.

The consequences of amphibian DNA only came to light thanks to a lone paleontologist faster than all of the geneticists.

You're unfairly ruling the I-Rex angle out of play when that's the point of the film.

I'll give you Malcolm's behavior-i'm willing to acknowledge that in both films they were characters that made poor decisions because of panic. But that's not exactly what I'm talking about is the things that stuck out the worst.

Again, the park wasn't ready to open in the first film so he was part of the skeleton crew. I'm sure fully staffed there would've been more operators and technicians, and whether not he was genuinely mistreated or just greedy is kind of ambiguous in the film. If you go by book Hammond who was a jackass, then yes, he probably was mistreated.

I grant you that third point on the DNA, the again I have huge issues with how that was portrayed in this film.

I will attempt to avoid any major spoilers here, but don't click unless you've seen the film.

As for the I-Rex:

It could camouflage itself, conveniently hide from thermal and had a certain plot convenient kind of DNA...you know the kind

It was like the movie made up things as it went in order to keep the action rolling, when in reality somebody would have known about what that thing was capable of.

It's just silly to assume the park with that much stuff that's that closely monitored wouldn't be aware of every little detail of what's being put into their creatures.

We can move over to the spoiler thread if we discuss it any further in detail.

Didn't hate it for the record; some cool stuff for sure. Just underwhelmed unfortunately.

NightOnyx

Just got back and the movie was awesome! I had such a blast watching it too. Lots of nostalgic moments and some really awesome scenes as well. My theater was packed and everyone was very into it, but not in an obnoxious way. Everyone was just having a blast and really enjoying it. Haven't been in a crowd like that for a movie in a while. I didn't even mind the kid sitting behind me who was talking a lot, because the stuff he was saying reminded me of watching the first movie as a kid.

It really is such a fun movie though, and I think it was way better than the previews made it out to be. I bet this movie has fantastic word of mouth, because I know I definitely highly recommend it. Also, Chris Pratt is amazing!

Just got back from the movie. I'm always a positive guy and I was really looking foward for this movie to come out, but unfortunetely this is not only an avarege movie, it simply DESTROYS everything the original represents. Really disapointed.

Jawmuncher

Can't wait to see the box office numbers both domestic and worldwide of course. Regardless it's nice to know that another Jurassic movie is basically already confirmed if the forecasts are correct.

If Chris Dallas Kid actor (Brandon) went to see himself in the film, could it be possible he imploded into a collapsed timeline, where the movie is watching him instead and praising him on the off topic section of FAGoen? Could that be why he hasn't popped in yet?

Or is he waiting for the call?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Bought tickets for Saturday. Going with my wife and another couple. Delicious Mexican food to follow. REALLY excited after binge watching the first 3.

Kibbles

The movie was really cool, saw it in 3D because that's all they had available. I've never been to IMAX 3D, now I'd really like to try it out. (where's the best place to sit in those?)

Just got back from the movie. I'm always a positive guy and I was really looking foward for this movie to come out, but unfortunetely this is not only an avarege movie, it simply DESTROYS everything the original represents. Really disapointed.
How so? Hammond's vision realized, the consequences of playing God, etc.

guek

Banned
It's weird to me that there's so much positive buzz on gaf but the RT is lower than expected.

Of course, RT is a barometer in only the most broad and generic sense. Still, I expected a more positive critical reception for what appears to be a straightforward summer popcorn blockbuster.

Ohwiseone

Fuck! This movie is fun. So much fun.

The climax is amazing.

The music is so good.

And I swear Howard gets so much hotter as this film goes on.

Fury451

Banned
And I swear Howard gets so much hotter as this film goes on.

She is quite beautiful, that's for sure. Good performance from her too- way better than it appeared. Those trailers made the acting look pretty bad, but it wasn't at all, just the opposite. Even from the kids.

sgjackson

this movie is dumb as shit. i figured this out quickly enough that i could shut my brain off and go YEAH DINOSAURS the whole time. it was great.

Ohwiseone

She is quite beautiful, that's for sure. Good performance from her too- way better than it appeared. Those trailers made the acting look pretty bad, but it wasn't at all, just the opposite. Even from the kids.

Yeah she had one of the few character arcs I actually believed. Going from her hardass self to what she became by the end.
love the scene of her saving Pratt by shooting the dinosaur that was attacking him.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
In line with 1hr 1/2 to go. Not the first ones here with less than 20 ahead of me. Pretty much all high schoolers. Yeah gunna get packed on here. I think I can hear raptor screams behind me...

Can't wait to check the weekend numbers for this on BoxOfficeMojo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom