• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so old in this lineup. Barely anyone is late 20s-early 30s here. They all just graduating. Where my nostalgia crew?

Quick

Banned
OT update:

Hfg18nL.png

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you need to line up? We don't do this in New Zealand, purely curious.

When you live in a largely populated area, lines are everywhere. This is a new theater too built between two others I used to go to, and another one is going up a few blocks away this year! Big demand for movies here, so you MUST come early to get a good seat. Or else you might have to wait outside when the lineup gets too full.

Kinsei

Banned
When you live in a largely populated area, lines are everywhere. This is a new theater too built between two others I used to go to, and another one is going up a few blocks away this year! Big demand for movies here, so you MUST come early to get a good seat. Or else you might have to wait outside when the lineup gets too full.

I'm glad it's not like that here. For major releases here you have assigned seats when you get your ticket. If you order online ahead of time you can reserve the seat you want.

amnesiac

Did anyone think this movie was
really violent? WTF at the death of the British lady who was watching over the kids. That was bizarre.

Fury451

Banned
Did anyone think this movie was
really violent? WTF at the death of the British lady who was watching over the kids.

Yeah,
her death was incredibly cruel and needlessly mean spirited I thought. Just an innocent woman who died a pretty horrifying death normally reserved for like the big bad villain. Kinda bothered me tbh. Really pushed the PG-13 with the violence, but it generally felt like high stakes which was good.

NR1

Just got home from a showing Thursday opening night. I really enjoyed it! It felt a little under cooked, but developed enough to not be bad. Chris Pratt was great and I really enjoyed the raptors and his relationship with them. The InGen security guy (Vincent D'Onofrio) was WAY over the top and felt really half-baked and underdeveloped at a character. Just too one dimensional. I liked Irrfan Khan's character, but he likely could have benefited from a bit more character development. Didn't much care for Bryce Dallas Howard, but she wasn't too bad.

JP >> JW > TLW >>>>>>> JP3

Mad Max Fury Road still the best film of the year to me at the moment. The film got a very good applause from the theater at the ending. It was a sold out theater too. I expect good word of mouth and a very nice box office performance.

tcrunch

Dear JP3 allow this film to educate you about how to make a Jurassic smackdown scene.

Everything about this movie was entertaining, a real treat for fans of the original. By leaps and bounds the best of the sequels (though it achieves this by mostly sticking to the original's formula or making tiny self-aware twists on the formula). They even addressed the dinosaurs not looking realistic based on what we know about them, and managed to showcase some new species as well as giving one group of ancient reptiles a redo that fixes up their goofiness in the previous sequel. All the characters manage to be likeable as well, yes even the kids. Some of the CGI was a little hard to swallow, but once the film got into things (and night falls) it was easier to handle. Pretty much everything related to the new dinosaur they cooked up in that lab was great.

Raptor purists are going to explode in a frothing rage but the trailer should have already set your expectations for how they are handled.

FREE WILLY

DonMigs85

When you think about it the Dino petting zoo/rides don't make good business sense since the animals grow quickly and have to be released in the field. Unless they bred mini-dinos that stay at that size.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So is this a sequel to Jurassic Park 3 or is it a sequel to the original or is it in its own universe? That's all I really want to know, but I'll be seeing it regardless.

tcrunch

In Jurassic Park the Book the thing they use to help sell genetic engineering for consumer purposes is a miniature (bird-sized) elephant in a cage. It has all kinds of health issues and a bad temper though, so I assume
the ride babies are actual babies

MajorMane

Just got back from this movie and I really loved it. It's definitely the best Jurassic Park sequel (not that hard to do), but probably not as good as the original. That being said, I think this movie works because it tries to be more like the original without crossing too much into too much nostalgia that could ruin it quickly. I was actually surprised there weren't as many links to the older films, but I think it works out great. You definitely get the feeling that this is Jurassic Park based on the feeling of the movie, not because it has dinosaurs.

It's not a film that will make you think, but it's chock full of moments that will make your inner child squeal with glee, whether it's
a raptor jumping off the back of a T-Rex to take on the I-Rex
or
the T-Rex set loose on the island, giving one last roar to end the movie.
Solid film and much better than I thought it was going to be going into it. Despite this film's flaws, it is the sequel that Jurassic Park deserved.

tcrunch

So is this a sequel to Jurassic Park 3 or is it a sequel to the original or is it in its own universe? That's all I really want to know, but I'll be seeing it regardless.

I can't even remember what happened in JP3 but this one is in the same universe as Jurassic Park and thus presumably the sequel. There's a guy in the movie wearing a JP shirt (and he gets
yelled at for being inappropriate/insensitive
), there's the "Hammond Creation Lab" and some other stuff that directly references JP.

All of the Jurassic Park films take place in the same universe.

This takes place in 2015, over 20 years after the original.

Oreoleo

The original is directly referenced multiple times. 2 and 3 are unmentioned, not a "San Diego incident" or "Isla Sorna" in sight. Though they are still canon afaik.

I can't even remember what happened in JP3 but this one is in the same universe as Jurassic Park and thus presumably the sequel. There's a guy in the movie wearing a JP shirt (and he gets
yelled at for being inappropriate/insensitive
), there's the "Hammond Creation Lab" and some other stuff that directly references JP.

They
literally revisited a location from JP1.

MajorMane

The film really doesn't make any references at all to the two sequels and is mostly connected to the universe through references to John Hammond's dream of Jurassic Park. Basically, the film tries to forget about the two sequels much like the general populace would like to. Really, whether they say those two films happened or not, it changes nothing in this film.

Let the kids have a sick day from School yesterday to go see it during the day in an empty Cinema. They all loved it. As most have said it's no JP 1, but it's much better than 2 and 3.

As the OT points out I just feel the main problem they faced in the film
(made up dinosaurs for the sake of it)
was also the main problem with the film.

Dwayne

So you can't book this stuff online? Weird, I guess it's good for the cinema because they can use it for publicity and hype, but it sounds like a shitty situation for the consumer.

After it escapes- not a spoiler since it's in the trailer.
There's no way that a park that size wouldn't have had every possible asset, plus others outside the park on standby to immediately contain such a dangerous threat. They even knew it was dangerous, and continue to make foolish decisions after the fact, like not immediately evacuating everyone or at least putting them on complete lockdown until well after the breach.

I don't think you remember the sequences in this movie very well. Nothing they do is very stupid.

Yeah,
her death was incredibly cruel and needlessly mean spirited I thought. Just an innocent woman who died a pretty horrifying death normally reserved for like the big bad villain. Kinda bothered me tbh. Really pushed the PG-13 with the violence, but it generally felt like high stakes which was good.

That seems like a common theme with Spielberg.
She was "Mean to the kids" so she had to go. Same deal with the Lawyer in the first one.

Aside from a few nitpicks like that, I really enjoyed the film. The InGen stuff was so satisfying to see.
Who knew Dodgson was nothing compared to fiendish Dr. Wu
Got everything I wanted out of the movie.

MajorMane

Let the kids have a sick day from School yesterday to go see it during the day in an empty Cinema. They all loved it. As most have said it's no JP 1, but it's much better than 2 and 3.

As the OT points out I just feel the main problem they faced in the film
(made up dinosaurs for the sake of it)
was also the main problem with the film.

I agree that the
made up dinosaurs for the sake of it
was a tenuous plot point at best, but replace the
I-Rex
with the T-Rex or Spinosaurus and the film would be basically more of a retread of the previous movies than it already was.

That being said, I enjoyed the main antagonistic dinosaur in this. She felt really dangerous and they definitely gave reasons to be scared of her.
I particularly enjoyed the playing up of the raised in captivity and trying to figure out her place in the food chain angles.
Despite all this, the movie remembers that
the T-Rex is KING and will come out on top one way or another

Fury451

Banned
I don't think you remember the sequences in this movie very well. Nothing they do is very stupid.

I saw it at 730. I remember just fine.

They don't mobilize every part of asset containment immediately, despite knowing how dangerous it is. They also don't halt and evacuate the park either until I.rex is well on its way to the outer edge of the tourist areas. Once the first team is wiped, they don't mobilize everyone else with lethal rounds but instead send one helicopter flown by an amateur pilot in a combat scenario, and they don't call in the military when they know full well that the IRex will likely breach the park walls (and it has already done so by the trams and gyro areas). Then it lets a bunch of airborne assets loose, and they are delayed in preparing for that, despite the fact that they knew it was coming (via cameras, tracking, and outer edge guards seeing them firsthand), which causes the deaths of who knows how many. That's not even touching the fact that despite having all those lab techs involved, nobody knew all the components of what was in the IRex except Wu and Kingpin, which makes no sense.

Lots of stupid decisions. I'd have to see it again to lay them all out in detail, but I don't want to. It was fine. An okay movie. But the plot shouldn't have happened at all with a park that size.

That seems like a common theme with Spielberg.
She was "Mean to the kids" so she had to go. Same deal with the Lawyer in the first one.

Very true, but
neither were really deserving of what they got in either case. Here especially- she wasn't overtly cruel to them or anything.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So you can't book this stuff online? Weird, I guess it's good for the cinema because they can use it for publicity and hype, but it sounds like a shitty situation for the consumer.

I don't know of any places in NA that have you pick your seats like flights.

my movie theater had a JP1 jeep in front of it. Don't know if it's fan made tho.

There's definately fan made ones around. I've seen one around in my local area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom