• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it again last night, and damn, I have never heard an audience cheer so much during so many moments in my life. This movie really seems to be landing well.

Favorite moment was hearing two little kids saying "Mom, Dad, that was the best movie EVER!" afterwards.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it again last night, and damn, I have never heard an audience cheer so much during so many moments in my life. This movie really seems to be landing well.

Favorite moment was hearing two little kids saying "Mom, Dad, that was the best movie EVER!" afterwards.

That's awesome. How was the reception at the premiere? Not sure how enthusiastic people would be at those things.

Also figured you were still gone from to go watch it again :p

Verger

Banned

Nice. So I guess the consensus is that this film is at least better than the other sequels. Though by how much depends on your own proclivities to whether you turn off your brain for suspension of belief and such.

Looks like I'm going back tonight. A friend just texted me and wants to go. Saw it in reggie 2D last night, I'm going in for the IMAX 3D this time. Maybe the second viewing will strike me differently (I'll also be way more drunk).

crmetteer

So, I always really enjoyed the business side of the Jurassic Park stories. Like the story behind InGen and stuff like that. Does this new movie delve into that stuff like at all? It would make me far more interested in seeing it.

MajorMane

For me it wasn't so much the kids themselves as it was their vanilla story.
The entire divorce plot feels like it's tacked on. Scenes like the phone conversation between Claire and her sister, the godawful crying scene on the tram and the bonding conversations they have are just awkward and out of place. When they are tagging along with Owen and Claire or cruising through the park they are fine.
They were passable child actors, I just felt their story could have used a little addition by subtraction.

Ok, I'll agree with that. The whole
divorce thing was kind of unnecessary. I mean, I guess it was a plot point to also help strengthen their brotherly bond, but didn't serve too much a purpose overall.

I was waiting for
the little brother to reveal he was faking that whole charade in order to draw in his brother from gawking at the ladies, but then it never happened and the whole divorce angle was dropped.
Really felt kind of weird in the whole situation. Sure, it was used to enforce
the whole "brotherly love" aspect of the movie, but being chased by dinosaurs would have bonding enough
. One of the plot points that really felt unnecessary.

So, I always really enjoyed the business side of the Jurassic Park stories. Like the story behind InGen and stuff like that. Does this new movie delve into that stuff like at all? It would make me far more interested in seeing it.

A little bit, yes.
There are cryptic conversations between Masarani and Wu and Wu and Hoskins that allude to InGen business dealings

That's awesome. How was the reception at the premiere? Not sure how enthusiastic people would be at those things.

Also figured you were still gone from to go watch it again :p
There were 2 premier screens, the Chinese and the Dolby. The Dolby was super enthusiastic, the Chinese didn't seem to have as many movie fans. But it landed well in both.

Still in LA, actually I'm just having a beer and killing time at Universal Studios atm. So many Jurassic Park and some Jurassic World shirts. Lots of kids holding toy dinosaurs. It's definitely making an impact here, haha.

Anyways, I will probably see it a third time today and then make my way back to Pittsburgh, lol.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So I'm likely seeing this tomorrow. My friend saw it last night and gave it 3.5/5 in her opinion, which isn't great actually as she's not picky @ all when it comes to movies...

I've only seen the 1st Jurassic Park, so if I keep my expectations low, will this end up surprising me? Is it a solid film, and not just a CGI spectacle?

That's what happened with Chappie, it got rancid reviews, went in with really low expectations and was surprised with a decent film. I'm keep it low as I don't want another Age of Ultron where I was so hyped based on positive previews and great previous films and the film ended up being a complete flop.

So I'm likely seeing this tomorrow. My friend saw it last night and gave it 3.5/5 in her opinion, which isn't great actually as she's not picky @ all when it comes to movies...

I've only seen the 1st Jurassic Park, so if I keep my expectations low, will this end up surprising me? Is it a solid film, and not just a CGI spectacle?

That's what happened with Chappie, it got rancid reviews, went in with really low expectations and was surprised with a decent film. I'm keep it low as I don't want another Age of Ultron where I was so hyped based on positive previews and great previous films and the film ended up being a complete flop.

It's solid, but it's mostly spectacle. However, much like the first film, it's spectacle done well, which can't really be said for the sequels. It's definitely not on the level of the first film, though--IMO, of course.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
There were 2 premier screens, the Chinese and the Dolby. The Dolby was super enthusiastic, the Chinese didn't seem to have as many movie fans. But it landed well in both.

Interesting. I've always wondered if people would be in a sense more snobby with the movie experience for those sort of things. Always felt like many who go to premieres have high standards and many that just are obligated to go and don't even want to be there. I dunno, rich lives and critics I guess I'm just stereotyping :p Can't really see much cheering and clapping like other theaters around the country there. *shrug*

Verger

Banned
Wow, just saw the headline that the movie is tracking towards a $155 Million weekend. That'd be crazy. I can only imagine how much it'll get form overseas.

I'd say this is a surefire Billion dollar hit.

Calcium

Banned

It has a pretty weak script, but it's entertaining as hell. If you can stomach some bad dialog and characters I think you'll enjoy it.

Lamel

Banned
Just saw it.

It was very entertaining; the cgi is obviously much better in the films than in the trailers. It is definitely a popcorn flick though, so go in with those expectations.
The dinosaur fights were ridiculously awesome. However they were also pretty ridiculous. #teamtrex

I was waiting for
the little brother to reveal he was faking that whole charade in order to draw in his brother from gawking at the ladies, but then it never happened and the whole divorce angle was dropped.
Really felt kind of weird in the whole situation. Sure, it was used to enforce
the whole "brotherly love" aspect of the movie, but being chased by dinosaurs would have bonding enough
. One of the plot points that really felt unnecessary.

What I would've done:
Open on the airport and the parents sending them to the park for the purpose of getting closer. "Nothing brings brothers together like an adventure in the woods". Then just have the kids dropped off with Claire under similar pretenses, that being that she'll look after them and make sure they have a good time. Drop all the sappy emotion and focus on the kids love of dinos at first, then how they bond as shit hits the fan

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It's solid, but it's mostly spectacle. However, much like the first film, it's spectacle done well, which can't really be said for the sequels. It's definitely not on the level of the first film, though--IMO, of course.

It has a pretty weak script, but it's entertaining as hell. If you can stomach some bad dialog and characters I think you'll enjoy it.

I mean, I can stomach a bad plot if the action is well done and there's some likeable characters at least, the same way I enjoy the Tales of RPGs XD. Thanks for the impressions.

How does Chris Pratt do in the lead role btw? I'm a fan of him so I'm guessing he's at least really solid?

Kinsei

Banned
I mean, I can stomach a bad plot if the action is well done and there's some likeable characters at least, the same way I enjoy the Tales of RPGs XD. Thanks for the impressions.

How does Chris Pratt do in the lead role btw? I'm a fan of him so I'm guessing he's at least really solid?

This was my first time seeing Pratt in anything and I liked him. He brings a lot of charisma to what could have been a very dull character.

Calcium

Banned

The action is very well done. There are some tremendous action scenes with some of the best dinosaur action on film. Chris Pratt is fine. He does well with what he is given, but that isn't much. I only disliked one character, everyone else was either tolerable or likable.

UberTag

This was my first time seeing Pratt in anything and I liked him. He brings a lot of charisma to what could have been a very dull character.
You need to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. And I say that as someone who routinely hates comic book/Marvel movies.

Calcium

Banned
Also worth noting for anyone still one the fence: (Tagged for safety, not really a spoiler though.)
None of the characters in this movie practice gymnastics.

I watched it yesterday night and it blew my mind. Out of all my movie experiences this year, I haven't had a better time with them than I had with Jurassic World. That's not to say that it's the best movie of all year (So far, Mad Max is just on another level). But I screamed, cheered, jumped and had big grin all the time. I have to say though, I was a huge JP nut way back when, so this movie definitely struck a chord with me. The fanservice is just through the roof and I loved it. The dinosaurs were ace and their scenes causing mayhem and interacting with each other were just awesome.

I get that the characters were all around thin, but I got their motivations and I got who they were pretty quick, which meant more time to focus on the action. It wasn't as intelligent as JP1, but I liked that the movie was really self conscious and also acting as a commentary on the perpetually unsatisfied audience, always wanting more, and how the entertainment industry reacts to it.

The final act was mindblowing. And at the end, I left the movie extremely satisfied. One thing I fear though, is that I think that this movie shines a lot through fanservice and a lot of its high notes rely on the audience having fond memories of past movies and expectations of Jurassic Park. This means, that maybe without its predecessors, it wouldn't have been as good. For the newer audiences, that might be somewhat of a turn off. But for me, I might even say that its my favorite movie I've seen all year. I loved it. Maybe I'll get shot down for having said that, but I haven't felt that good at the movies in a long time.

That was me, basically, with my friends after we left the theater. I was a kid all over again!!

Manu

Ha.

QzUBQj3.png

Oersted

I too am confused when you hear a bunch of complaints and then see stuff like "8/10". Wut? I think some just have really low? high? standards.

My educated guess is they are still hyped up. You always See " this was shit+ this was shit+ this was shit= 8/10'" close after release.

Dinskugga

Just came back from the cinema. damn! its was really good. the cinema was packed with people (outsold) And at the end the hole theather clapped hands. awesome

HOLY SHIT MOMENT
"Open Paddock 9" gosebumps really. so awesome scene. With the lensflare and t-rex eyes in the dark

My educated guess is they are still hyped up. You always See " this was shit+ this was shit+ this was shit= 8/10'" close after release.

I think it's more that the movie has a lot of flaws but in the grand scheme of things they really don't detract much from the overall experience

That's how I felt, anyway.

Did the waterfall scene scare anyone else?Maybe it was just because IMAX sound is amazing but that scene and the one with the
I-Rex feet through the old building
scared the hell out of me and a bunch of people in the theater.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Re-watched all the other JP movies the past few days.

My prehistoric body is ready for tonight.

I could say I'm also ready to be disappointed, but then I again, I just finished rewatching JP3 so I doubt that'll happen.

Calcium

Banned
Re-watched all the other JP movies the past few days.

My prehistoric body is ready for tonight.

I could say I'm also ready to be disappointed, but then I again, I just finished rewatching JP3 so I doubt that'll happen.

After watching TLW and JP3 you should be all set. Enjoy, man.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I haven't been spoiled yet but I'm damn sure that Spinosaur skeleton featured in the middle of the JW park in the trailers is gonna get whacked a la JP1 as a special nod.

Dead

well not really...yet
What did you think of it? As good as TLW or was it better?
Honestly I think The Lost World is a better movie. Colin Treverrow is no Spielberg. Even Spielberg at his worst. Definitely leagues better than JP3 though.

Heres rambling thoughts i posted last night after seeing it http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167470402&postcount=1279

I enjoyed seeing it, but there's nothing there. It's an empty one and done forgettable blockbuster imo. Par for the course for what we get these days really.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Did the waterfall scene scare anyone else?Maybe it was just because IMAX sound is amazing but that scene and the one with the
I-Rex feet through the old building
scared the hell out of me and a bunch of people in the theater.

It was a great scene. A bunch of people behind me FREAKED OUT more that that part than any other part of the movie, and there unsettled for a few minutes trying to get back their composure >_>

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmm I expected as much, still need a dino fix this weekend tho

And in regards to your last sentence....get your ass to the Fury Road
You'll probably enjoy it, and then you'll probably never again feel like it's worth watching.

Ill probably catch Mad Max on blu-ray. Dont have much time for movie theater these days, this was an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom