• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

Ok.. I am a big softie.. so I may be the only one.. but
That brontosaurus.. when it tried to get up.. man.. made me cry..felt SO bad for it. :(

There were a lot of people "awww"ing in the theater when I saw it.

I felt worse for the Ankylosaurus. Went out like a boss.

But that's really only because there's more fodder than any other movie. There's a point where there's a counter on the screen that shows the park's active attendance, and I was expecting them to use that as a countdown for the amount of deaths going on. Thankfully they didn't, but they definitely put that worm in my ear.

It makes me wonder if the deathcount is really the highest, especially over TLW, where people are have been said to have died for reasons that make zero sense, like the boat driver who lost his hands to the t-rex, which is a great homage to the book, but makes literally no sense in the movie. Even the pterodactyl scene doesn't have that many shown deaths. Most of them end up dropping people after about 10 feet off the ground. Logically there SHOULD be a higher death toll, but the flow of the action doesn't really call for it. If it wasn't for that one scene that's meant to build up the viewers suspension of disbelief where deaths are concerned, there really aren't many more deaths than the capture teams in TLW. Hell, the rex in JP3 had a higher kill count than the indominus.

Not that this matters that much, these logical fallacies don't make the movie more or less enjoyable. JW is just dumb fun at the end of the day. It makes me want Jurassic Park 5: Dino Riders

I mean, I could concede it was AS brutal as the most violent JP movie (not sure which that would be), but "very very tame" is the last thing I would call it, you know?

Re:
the sequel, I wonder if they'll go with Henry Wu and his schemes. Clearly they can't do another park.

I felt worse for the Ankylosaurus. Went out like a boss.

Yeah, I thought he was gonna make it out :(

I gotta say, there were moments of rough CG, but overall it was good. I can remember a few shots of the raptors at night that looked off, but the Indominus looked spectacular in every way, especially its movements. Was very impressed.

Really loved
its eyes and its (violent) sense of curiosity. I actually felt kinda sympathetic towards it.

I'll admit this is the first sequel to scare me a bit. The way Colin framed Indominus at times was pretty insane, you felt how huge and deadly it was. Well, it was more of an "oh fuck" kind of scary.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why people were bothered by the kids. What did they do?

Small kids wanted to see dinosaurs and I was right with him and his "I WANNA SEEEE!!" and being all excited. Big kid was just a bored teen that would rather spend time with girls than go to a zoo he's been to before. But c'mon, he does come around and starts enjoying it too. They both get caught up in the stuff, but do stuff to get away. Not much they could've done to help. Well, they paralyzed a raptor and fixed a car. That's something!

I think Tim was more useless really. WHY DIDN'T YOU GRAB THE GUN, TIM?! WHY DIDN'T YOU JUMP OFF THE FENCE IN TIME, TIM?!

I'll admit this is the first sequel to scare me a bit. The way Colin framed Indominus at times was pretty insane, you felt how huge and deadly it was. Well, it was more of an "oh fuck" kind of scary.

I can't blame anyone for shitting on the script, but Colin has a good eye for action. Didn't fall into any of the "can't see shit" pitfalls of most blockbusters and he had a pretty good sense for the frame and conveying the size and power of the I-Rex.

Someone describe the scene of the death
of that mom. Need to know how brutal we talking here beforehand.

Thanks!

She wasn't a mom (I don't think) and I must have missed the part where she mentioned getting married, but
she is picked up by a pterosaur, then almost dropped but snatched by another pterosaur, and then is dropped into the water tank. Pterosaurs start dive bombing the water to find her (which was cool), and over the next 20 seconds or so, she is constantly attacked, pecked at, and just tossed around by the pterosaurs as they fight over her. She's screaming the whole time.

It ends with the mosasaur bursting through the water and eating both the pterosaur and her.

I don't know why people were bothered by the kids. What did they do?

Small kids wanted to see dinosaurs and I was right with him and his "I WANNA SEEEE!!" and being all excited. Big kid was just a bored teen that would rather spend time with girls than go to a zoo he's been to before. But c'mon, he does come around and starts enjoying it too. They both get caught up in the stuff, but do stuff to get away. Not much they could've done to help. Well, they paralyzed a raptor and fixed a car. That's something!

I think Tim was more useless really. WHY DIDN'T YOU GRAB THE GUN, TIM?! WHY DIDN'T YOU JUMP OFF THE FENCE IN TIME, TIM?!

Agreed, I don't get the hate for the kids. They were fine

kinggroin

Banned
I can't blame anyone for shitting on the script, but Colin has a good eye for action. Didn't fall into any of the "can't see shit" pitfalls of most blockbusters and he had a pretty good sense for the frame and conveying the size and power of the I-Rex.

She wasn't a mom (I don't think) and I must have missed the part where she mentioned getting married, but
she is picked up by a pterosaur, then almost dropped but snatched by another pterosaur, and then is dropped into the water tank. Pterosaurs start dive bombing the water to find her (which was cool), and over the next 20 seconds or so, she is constantly attacked, pecked at, and just tossed around by the pterosaurs as they fight over her. She's screaming the whole time.

It ends with the mosasaur bursting through the water and eating both the pterosaur and her.

Fuuuuu

strife2k

I have seen all of the Jurassic Park movies on the theater, so I am from the old guard Jurassic Park fan.
And as a member of the old guard and filled with nostalgia, I went to see the movie.
And for me, it worked!!! more than the last 2, that for my eyes were dissapointing (mostly after reading the lost world book and expecting to have that book translated into the screen for the 2nd one)
Jurassic World offers nice nostalgic elements and some great action, we cannot expect to be amazed like in the first one, as the technology that was used to create that movie was revolutionary.
I was not expecting to see a Schindler's List equivalent movie, I was going to see a dinosaur movie, a Jurassic Park movie, and for that, I am more than satisfied with this effort, I had a great time, for me is better that the other sequels and as a Jurassic Park fan thats enough for me.

Jawmuncher

And people said it would be bomb.
dealwithit-jurassic-pi5rnk.gif

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I gotta say, there were moments of rough CG, but overall it was good. I can remember a few shots of the raptors at night that looked off, but the Indominus looked spectacular in every way, especially its movements. Was very impressed.

Really loved
its eyes and its (violent) sense of curiosity. I actually felt kinda sympathetic towards it.

If you're going to feel any sympathy, feel it for that
Brontosaurus
. I figured it was going to be even more gut wrenching and require a
mercy bullet from Pratt.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just got back and I loved it. Everything was a bit predictable but my god i enjoyed every minute of it
the moment the t rex came out at the end my heart was beating so damn fast. Never have I been so tense in the cinema before shit was unreal
RIP that ankylosaurus. That shit was fucking brutal

They really did a fantastic job with the indominus. Really was terrifying

If you're going to feel any sympathy, feel it for that
Brontosaurus
. I figured it was going to be even more gut wrenching and require a
mercy bullet from Pratt.

This was my bathroom break moment :( I came back
right as it died
, unfortunately. I had wanted to see it.

This was a duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb movie, but I have been replaying all the dino scenes in my head since last night. It's surprising that the action sequences are where this movie succeeds and the human element is almost a complete failure, given his background. He's got a good eye.

Typing up full impressions.

I actually really liked
Hoskins' death, because he was going into another one of his horribly over-the-top HERE IS MY EVIL talks and then "ho SHIT".
Thought that was great.

I love how he said "SHIT!" when the raptor showed up
, several people laughed in the cinema

Anyone else feel a bit sorry for the I Rex?

being completely raised in solitary confinement with no social relationships, it must have been so confused and angry

:(

I saw it yesterday night, enjoyed it a lot. I have two things to say about the name of the dinosaur tho. Spoliers ahead about its name!
Indominus as a word does not exist in latin neither as noun nor as adjective. Dominus is a noun and it means "owner" or "master" or "ruler": dominus in Rome was the owner of the land and the master of the slaves (in english you can think about 'domain', dominio in Italian, a portion of land ruled by someone). In- in Latin means negation e.g. in-famous means non-famous (bad reputation): in our case indominus means non dominus therefore "not-a-master/ruler", an expression of weakness and not power!
The correct (adjective in this case!) name, imho, should has been Indomitus Rex so non-domitus i.e. not-dominated thus untamed.

Just got back and loved it. Honestly liked it better than the original.

Nothing can replicate the experience to me but I feel like it's a great complimentary piece, it's the Aliens to Jurassic Park's Alien. Different objectives but work off one another. I think back to back viewings will be cool.

TheZink

Nothing can replicate the experience to me but I feel like it's a great complimentary piece, it's the Aliens to Jurassic Park's Alien. Different objectives but work off one another. I think back to back viewings will be cool.
I agree in a way. We wouldn't have Jurassic World without the Park. 👍

I saw it yesterday night, enjoyed it a lot. I have two things to say about the name of the dinosaur tho. Spoliers ahead about its name!
Indominus as a word does not exist in latin neither as noun nor as adjective. Dominus is a noun and it means "owner" or "master" or "ruler": dominus in Rome was the owner of the land and the master of the slaves (in english you can think about 'domain', dominio in Italian, a portion of land ruled by someone). In- in Latin means negation e.g. in-famous means non-famous (bad reputation): in our case indominus means non dominus therefore "not-a-master/ruler", an expression of weakness and not power!
The correct (adjective in this case!) name, imho, should has been Indomitus Rex so non-domitus i.e. not-dominated thus untamed.

... welp, I'll say there is some truth to the name
after some other dinosaurs proved he really is "not-a-master/ruler"

200.gif

Is that what the bar has been set at now?

What else was it going to be?

How else do you tell dinosaurs on an island for the fourth time? The film is what it is and is the best case scenario. Directed by a guy who was young when the original came out and hit at the right time in his childhood. He is a massive fan and there are a lot of callbacks to the first film as well as some things to the book. It's no different than the next Marvel movie. A big summer popcorn flick. Universal wanted the film out in a year and Trevorrow asked for free reign and to push the release date back, can you imagine how big of a flop that would have been?

I don't really think JP1 has that good a story, the book was far superior, it was more about the spectacle of dinosaurs fully realised on screen using computers instead of stop motion.

Would we still hold the film in such high regard if they had gone ahead with the plan to use stop motion?

http://i.imgur.com/TPQMX9T.gifv

Caught the 12am showing yesterdoo.

Very light spoilers behind the tags. Nothing major.

That was a legit quality film. Like, I didn't really know what to expect, and the first five minutes are an extended sappy Disney Parks commercial (which is really the point), but after the music swells and they reveal the park, the movie stops playing around. I was leaning back in my seat with a huge smile for at least three of the iconic key scenes (and you'll know one in particular when the original JP instrumental starts slowly playing), and there are a ridiculous number of throwbacks that make sense in context.

Masrani's vision of Jurassic World lines up 100% perfectly with John Hammond's, and it is heartbreaking to see it falling apart behind the scenes due to corporate influence. Like Hammond, Masrani is a calculating businessman trying desperately to masquerade as a human, and his pride and arrogant tunnel vision ultimately are his downfall.

The one big thing concerning this movie was "no feathers/not sciency enough!", and one of the characters voices that concern perfectly midway through the film in a mix of understanding and condescending bravado. I was very happy that they touched on it.

Chris Pratt and Howard are great additions to the JP pantheon of main characters. Pratt seriously feels like a mix of Grant/Malcolm. Howard manages to both be a cold businesswoman but still maintain awareness of the world around her. She's not a one-dimensional psuedo-antagonist as the trailers make her, but simply an overworked individual that has no life outside her job. She even goes as far as to tell people to "have respect".

As for Pratt's raptors, the film never lets you forget that these are violent killing predators. Never once do they fully accept Owen Grady as their leader, and Owen instructs his men never to treat the Raptor Squad like big dogs. The scene in the trailers where they are set loose? Completely out of context.
Even at the end, when Owen and Blue have their final goodbye, it's less "goodbye, old friend" and more "you do not fuck with me". The emotional climax of that relationship is Owen learning that, much like Hammond did, control was the illusion.

99% of the scenes in the trailer are out of context (I was amazed by how much so).

There are so many dinosaurs in this film, dear lord. So many. They take you through the entire park, and show you everything. It is so ridiculously cool.

Now we come to the I-Rex.... oh, the I-Rex. Revealed in such a beautiful manner, escaping in such a beautiful manner. People chase it, and she's all "oh, I'm going to fuck you up". People shoot at it, and she's all "I am going to kill the fuck out of you". People annoy it, and she's all "look, motherfuckers, I am not having any of this shit". The wonderfully paced chase between the humans and the I-Rex showcases its growing understanding of the world, bit by bit. It is a fantastic raising of the stakes with each I-Rex scene growing in fear of what exactly it can do.

The I-Rex itself looks unholy. Unclean. It is way too "manufactured" in design, way too hodgepodge, way too clean. Sterile. You look at it and you can tell that nature did not make this.
The end of the film, when the T-Rex very blatantly reclaimed its throne/land, had my theater hollering[

As for the cinematography, lighting, etc., this is the most Speilberg looking film out of the franchise. Yes, even over The Lost World, which was directed by Speilberg and was very Speilbergy in its own right. There's one particular I-Rex kill that is pure Speilberg.

And lastly, this film has something that TLW and JP3 lacked: humor and wonder. The film never forgets its sense of humor or wonder. The interactions between characters in the laughs department are very Grant/Ellie/Malcolm.

I have already pre-ordered this film.

I can only assume the vast majority of bad reviews (both here and otherwise) are from confirmation bias, because I refuse to see how someone could call this film lifeless.

10/10 would watch again and just got an offer to tonight.

Blablurn

Caught the 12am showing yesterdoo.

Very light spoilers behind the tags. Nothing major.

That was a legit quality film. Like, I didn't really know what to expect, and the first five minutes are an extended sappy Disney Parks commercial (which is really the point), but after the music swells and they reveal the park, the movie stops playing around. I was leaning back in my seat with a huge smile for at least three of the iconic key scenes (and you'll know one in particular when the original JP instrumental starts slowly playing), and there are a ridiculous number of throwbacks that make sense in context.

Masrani's vision of Jurassic World lines up 100% perfectly with John Hammond's, and it is heartbreaking to see it falling apart behind the scenes due to corporate influence. Like Hammond, Masrani is a calculating businessman trying desperately to masquerade as a human, and his pride and arrogant tunnel vision ultimately are his downfall.

The one big thing concerning this movie was "no feathers/not sciency enough!", and one of the characters voices that concern perfectly midway through the film in a mix of understanding and condescending bravado. I was very happy that they touched on it.

Chris Pratt and Howard are great additions to the JP pantheon of main characters. Pratt seriously feels like a mix of Grant/Malcolm. Howard manages to both be a cold businesswoman but still maintain awareness of the world around her. She's not a one-dimensional psuedo-antagonist as the trailers make her, but simply an overworked individual that has no life outside her job. She even goes as far as to tell people to "have respect".

As for Pratt's raptors, the film never lets you forget that these are violent killing predators. Never once do they fully accept Owen Grady as their leader, and Owen instructs his men never to treat the Raptor Squad like big dogs. The scene in the trailers where they are set loose? Completely out of context.
Even at the end, when Owen and Blue have their final goodbye, it's less "goodbye, old friend" and more "you do not fuck with me". The emotional climax of that relationship is Owen learning that, much like Hammond did, control was the illusion.

99% of the scenes in the trailer are out of context (I was amazed by how much so).

There are so many dinosaurs in this film, dear lord. So many. They take you through the entire park, and show you everything. It is so ridiculously cool.

Now we come to the I-Rex.... oh, the I-Rex. Revealed in such a beautiful manner, escaping in such a beautiful manner. People chase it, and she's all "oh, I'm going to fuck you up". People shoot at it, and she's all "I am going to kill the fuck out of you". People annoy it, and she's all "look, motherfuckers, I am not having any of this shit". The wonderfully paced chase between the humans and the I-Rex showcases its growing understanding of the world, bit by bit. It is a fantastic raising of the stakes with each I-Rex scene growing in fear of what exactly it can do.

The I-Rex itself looks unholy. Unclean. It is way too "manufactured" in design, way too hodgepodge, way too clean. Sterile. You look at it and you can tell that nature did not make this.
The end of the film, when the T-Rex very blatantly reclaimed its throne/land, had my theater hollering[

As for the cinematography, lighting, etc., this is the most Speilberg looking film out of the franchise. Yes, even over The Lost World, which was directed by Speilberg and was very Speilbergy in its own right. There's one particular I-Rex kill that is pure Speilberg.

And lastly, this film has something that TLW and JP3 lacked: humor and wonder. The film never forgets its sense of humor or wonder. The interactions between characters in the laughs department are very Grant/Ellie/Malcolm.

I have already pre-ordered this film.

I can only assume the vast majority of bad reviews (both here and otherwise) are from confirmation bias, because I refuse to see how someone could call this film lifeless.

10/10 would watch again and just got an offer to tonight.

i love this post

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else feel a bit sorry for the I Rex?

being completely raised in solitary confinement with no social relationships, it must have been so confused and angry

:(

I did. Honestly, haven't heard many talk about the I-rex herself, but as a monster I loved it! Great design and frightening. I know lots were mad in the trailer with the "killing for sport" bit but honestly
I think it was more when she was unleashed, she could use her full potential. Probably went a little insane due to solitary confinement, as some animals due. They don't learn proper skills like Owen mentioned, and with the hook being her only "relationship" to anything, she was basically a little insane.

One thing I did wish I saw though was
some footage of the I-rex growing up with the sibling. You see the eggs at the beginning and then shoot forward. I was really hoping that young I-rex photo of the puppet would've been shown. I'd be down for a deleted sequence though of that!

I could have done without the
little headshake that Owen did, but I enjoyed that part because I read it as Blue asking, "Can I kill those humans behind you?" and Pratt was all, "Nah, not today".

The end of the film, when the T-Rex very blatantly reclaimed its throne/land, had my theater hollering

Yes. They NAILED the I-Rex. So much better than the Spino and a "monster" done right.

here's one particular I-Rex kill that is pure Speilberg.

Which one are you thinking?

Dammit. Your post makes me want to see it again.

Snaku

Banned
some footage of the I-rex growing up with the sibling. You see the eggs at the beginning and then shoot forward. I was really hoping that young I-rex photo of the puppet would've been shown. I'd be down for a deleted sequence though of that!

That was the Raptor Squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom