• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I didn't love it but I was never bored either.

Pratt did what he could with some really shitty dialogue.

Howard was also very good despite the worst hairdo ever.

The little kid annoyed the crap out of me in the beginning but he was fine once the shit hit the fan.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I'll have time to watch one movie this weekend, so it'll be either this or When Marnie Was There. If I skip JW, then it'll have to wait until the end of June or possibly even July, cuz I'm watching Inside Out next weekend and also The Tribe.

Decisions....

Grisby

Just got back. Movie tugs on the nostalgia strings hard. Gotta admit, I got misty eyed at the theme reveal and the end of the movie.

There's no way to replicate the feelings of the first film, especially since JP released right when I was at the perfect age for dinosaurs.

That said, JW was still enjoyable. In fact, I went in with very low expectations and came away pleasantly surprised.

I do think that the
dino talking was dumb,
but I gotta admit
that it set up a fun end battle.

They also waited so long for the T-Rex to come back, but his reveal was great and he's a great hero character.

So yeah, would recommend.

Ha.

QzUBQj3.png

I love how everyone seems to be trashing this film because it's not Jurassic Park.

Like, it wasn't a bad film by a long shot. I do not understand people saying it is slightly better than JP3, which was basically improv.

JW had a good script. It had good dialogue. To say that the script is lazy is just bullshit. It wasn't Transformers, and it bugs me that people are putting it on that level.

Verger

Banned
I knew there'd be a lot of negativity for the film because anyone is going to compare it to JP1 and also going to try to measure it against that nostalgia and the originality of the original. All of which are impossible, because you can never replicate that again, and trying to do so would only end in disaster.

But it's nice to see that if you go in just hoping to have fun it seems to hit the right spots.

MrBS

Movie goes off the rails but its a fun ride. I enjoyed it.

If you're going to have something as absurd as a 'broment' between a trex and raptor you could have gone all in and have them fist bump. Dissapoint Jurassic World!

It kinda bugs me because I keep seeing this progression of "nothing is good if it is a sequel" in our societal mindset, even if it actually isn't 100% dogshit.

Like, I watch Star Trek and Jurassic World and then read these negative reviews and just go "what in the actual fuck would make you happy?".

best way to describe this movie imo.
Is that I have never seen a movie that made me feel so much like a kid again, both during the movie and after(I walked out wanting a game, Lego Jurassic World game, Lego sets and even action figures like the originals had.).

Superflat

Pratt is signed for a trilogy.

Would be nice if Universal looked at a lot of up and coming quality directors like Trevorrow to take the sequels on. I'm always surprised by how well directors of small budget films do when they're given a chance with blockbusters.

So far it's sounding like JW will be a hard film to beat in terms of sheer spectacle.

KAOS

The movie wasn't bad once I gave into it's ridiculous premise. Maybe it was nostalgia but I was kinda marking out by the end of it. The crowd at my theater seemed to be into it as well.

Kudos to Killer Instinct's Riptor in this movie (clever girl)!

JP1 > JW > JP3 > JP2

goku1693

Last it last night! I have to say oddly enough, i felt like I was back in 93 and watching the original. Obviously it wasn't as good, but it was amazing. And add me to the last 25 mins crowd! Lol completely unexpected ending.

It seems we are all wrong to have enjoyed it.
No I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. I'm just a little shocked that so many people did. I wish I could have enjoyed it like everyone else :(

Edit- I'm also happy that JW is doing so well because I would love for the franchise to go on. I just hope the next one doesn't have as many eye rolling moments.

bengraven

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ.

For possibly having dinosaurs beat the shit out of fucking superheroes again.

Yours in faith,

Bengraven

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just watched it and after skimming the last few pages I haven't see anyone discuss this yet.
It looked to me that the T-Rex at the end of the movie is the original from the first movie. He has scars on his side from the ending of the first movie. Has this been discussed or noticed?
Also LOVED the movie. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Bernbaum

Just watched it and after skimming the last few pages I haven't see anyone discuss this yet.
It looked to me that the T-Rex at the end of the movie is the original from the first movie. He has scars on his side from the ending of the first movie. Has this been discussed or noticed?
Also LOVED the movie. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Yeah it's been discussed and observed from some of the promo artwork from the official website.
It's the same rex.

Superflat

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ.

For possibly having dinosaurs beat the shit out of fucking superheroes again.

Yours in faith,

Bengraven

Huh, never thought about it but JW really is sort of a outlier in modern day huge budget blockbuster fare, since it's essentially a creature feature, which went out of style a while ago in the mainstream. Most of these types of films have thrived in much smaller productions like The Host, Grabbers, Troll Hunter, Attack the Block, Slither etc.

Bishop89

Saw it last night. Movie was funtastic! Loved it so much, so much fan service, especially the ending.
I just knew trex was going to come save the day and glad the raptors came back to team Pratt.

Speaking of which, I loved his character, he certainly is a leading man now. And the relationship with the raptors was nice.

I-rex was actually badass, it's introduction was very chilling and well done. Music accompanying it was very haunting.

One of my favourite bits was when it was revealed
the I-rex was part raptor. They Really nailed the I-rex as a monster. It's promotion to alpha with the other raptors and then them all turning to Owen was gold!

Would definitely recommend this to anyone whose a fan of the first two.

jtb

Banned
Jurassic World was not good, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Very much a JJ Abrams style film... in that it shamelessly copies the Spielberg playbook and succeeds in... making you want to watch a Spielberg film instead of the one you're watching.

though I have to admit, it sold me on Chris Pratt. I was very much a skeptic going into this film of his ability to carry a film; he impressed me in this film. He wasn't a walking wisecrack, he played the character earnestly. He was good.

Also, there is that one scene right in the middle of the film that is bafflingly sadistic (I have to assume there was something left on the cutting room floor) that really took me out of it and left a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the film.

Huh, never thought about it but JW really is sort of a outlier in modern day huge budget blockbuster fare, since it's essentially a creature feature, which went out of style a while ago in the mainstream. Most of these types of films have thrived in much smaller productions like The Host, Grabbers, Troll Hunter, Attack the Block, Slither etc.

Godzilla last year, Pacific Rim the year before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom