• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |OT| WARNING! Safety Not, uh, Guaranteed | RT: 71?!%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calcium

Banned
I just got back from seeing it. Overall I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it. Everything about the dinosaurs was awesome and incredibly well done. The human element of the film on the other hand was pretty terrible. I honestly couldn't stand the Hoskins character or the entire subplot surrounding him. The movie is a hell of a ride, though. Probably the loudest I've heard an audience cheer and clap in a long time. That final scene, man. Amazing and the audience erupted towards the end of it.

Edit: Oh and JP>JW>TLW=JP3.

Fuchsdh

Masrani's vision of Jurassic World lines up 100% perfectly with John Hammond's, and it is heartbreaking to see it falling apart behind the scenes due to corporate influence. Like Hammond, Masrani is a calculating businessman trying desperately to masquerade as a human, and his pride and arrogant tunnel vision ultimately are his downfall.

I think you're mixing up the movie Hammond with book Hammond.

There were four eggs, and only two iRex were created. It was the raptors.

There were only two eggs. It rotated around them a few times, so maybe it looked like four. It was establishing that there were two of them (the main and the sibling).

I mostly know because they had thumbs like the I-Rex, but the eye is the same, too.

I think you're mixing up the movie Hammond with book Hammond.

Movie Hammond is pretty delusional--he lacks the book's maniacal version, but even when talking to Ellie, he talks about "next time" and all that, like he'll just try again.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
There were four eggs, and only two iRex were created. It was the raptors.

Now I'm even more confused to what you are referring to. I need to find that pic now... it was a shot of a woman with a practical. No eggs. I think it was on the old spoiler topic, near the end of it. Surely someone knows what I'm referring to.

Fuchsdh

There were only two eggs. It rotated around them a few times, so maybe it looked like four. It was establishing that there were two of them (the main and the sibling).

I mostly know because they had thumbs like the I-Rex, but the eye is the same, too.

Movie Hammond is pretty delusional--he lacks the book's maniacal version, but even when talking to Ellie, he talks about "next time" and all that, like he'll just try again.

Yeah, but it's coming from a good place. Book Hammond basically makes a theme park because if he used gene therapies to cure cancer or something he wouldn't make money off it. He basically hates kids.

Movie Hammond wants to entertain people and bring delight to children. He wants to offer them something real, after a life of essentially hucksterism.

Honestly I don't really buy the hubris argument of Jurassic Park at all, in that any great advance in technology has the capacity to cause serious problems but that change is inevitable. Hammond was clearly underestimating the problems with the park, but Jurassic World itself shows that what is once far-out fiction becomes commonplace and "normal" soon enough.

Are you serious?

Wow.

I've seen the behind the scenes for the animatronics in Jurassic Park and it was amazing. They felt so real.

I think that was a studio decision. Trevorrow apparently had to fight to get the few animatronics they had (
apato head, I-Rex upper body
).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think that was a studio decision. Trevorrow apparently had to fight to get the few animatronics they had (
apato head, I-Rex upper body
).

Oh the i-rex did have one too? Some shots I honestly couldn't tell if they were practical or CG since it looked so real. Especially in the scene where Owen hides under the jeep.

I thought the animatronics came a really long way. The way they breathed gave them so much life. My friends noticed the twitchy motions, but the fine details were what I noticed.

Oh the i-rex did have one too? Some shots I honestly couldn't tell if they were practical or CG since it looked so real. Especially in the scene where Owen hides under the jeep.

I thought the animatronics came a really long way. The way they breathed gave them so much life. My friends noticed the twitchy motions, but the fine details were what I noticed.
Is that a good thing? Another nail on the coffin for practical effects or is the fact that CGI can be indistinguishable from practical effects a positive step forward?

Mr. RPG

Did you ever see Jurassic Park? No?

Is that a good thing? Another nail on the coffin for practical effects or is the fact that CGI can be indistinguishable from practical effects an positive step forward?

The CGI is really bad. Everything felt fake. The Tyrannosaurus in Jurassic Park felt so real and even does to this day.

The CGI is really bad. Everything felt fake. The Tyrannosaurus in Jurassic Park felt so real and even does to this day.

Can't disagree with this enough. The CG was fantastic, overall. It had rough spot (motorcyle + raptor compositing looked bad, the raptors looked off in a few shots, as well as some of the herbivores in the big herd shot).

I can't think of a single bad I-Rex shot. Maybe the one where she almost eats
the kids at the waterfall
?

Some of the closeups of the I-Rex, especially its head, looked insanely good.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Is that a good thing? Another nail on the coffin for practical effects or is the fact that CGI can be indistinguishable from practical effects an positive step forward?

The fact that some people didn't think there WERE practicals on the set would probably mean the CG is that good. A lot more subtle movements were used in these new ones. Being only heads could allow for more refinements.

Did you ever see Jurassic Park? No?

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I don't even know what people want anymore from "real" CG. The t-rex CG only looks amazing then because it was during nighttime. All CG looks good at night. All motion CG still looks fairly bad when moving.

Just came back from it. LOVED every moment. Trailers don't do this justice.

That scene with the raptors running with the motorcycle will become iconic: you actually care about the raptors in this film. They ran away with the audience.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I don't even know what people want anymore from "real" CG. The t-rex CG only looks amazing then because it was during nighttime. All CG looks good at night. All motion CG still looks fairly bad when moving.

Nobody wants to say this, but the motion of the Brachiosaur in the first Jurassic Park looks horrible, especially near the tail. What made that scenes was the detail.

I just watched the movie at the Universal Cineplex at Universal Studios. I loved it. I want to be friends with a pack of velociraptors.

Jurassic Park was one of my earliest movie going experiences (the only movie I remember seeing in theaters before that for sure was one of TMNT movies), and my brothers and I were pretty obsessed with it. It's still one of my favorite movies of all time. I had a ton of merchandise, but I lost most of it during a big move because my mom decided to leave it all behind.

I also saw The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park III in theaters. I wanted to go see Jurassic Park 3D really bad, but I didn't get to. :(

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The raptors and
their deaths
got a lot of reactions from our audience. Especially
poor Charlie :( Vaporized.

They made such cute, adorable noises too! As someone who loves raptors, I love how they are still killers, but can have a soft side for their kin^^

This could have been so much better.

The action and suspense were both really fantastic, but man, were the characters awful. The human drama was a big fail. The kids were annoying and Claire was just off with absolutely no chemistry at all with any other character.
I sooooo wanted her to die.
The further the movie went the more stupid it got. So many scenes were just weird with how out of place the characters would act. It was just all...really weird. Also it felt like a 12 year old came up with the script. With all that said I still had a pretty good time with it. Not bad, but nothing special.

7/10

Welp. My theater's projector broke so they just cancelled and kicked everyone out. Got 4 free movie passes and got my concession food refunded though. All the tickets are sold out until Monday. The wait continues. :(

NMFried

I thought it was as incredible as it was ridiculous. But, I loved every second of it and will follow Chris Pratt through the depths of hell.

Welp. My theater's projector broke so they just cancelled and kicked everyone out. Got 4 free movie passes and got my concession food refunded though. All the tickets are sold out until Monday. The wait continues. :(

All tickets are sold out until Monday!? That's wild.

This could have been so much better.

The action and suspense were both really fantastic, but man, were the characters awful. The human drama was a big fail. The kids were annoying and Claire was just off with absolutely no chemistry at all with any other character.
I sooooo wanted her to die.
The further the movie went the more stupid it got. So many scenes were just weird with how out of place the characters would act. It was just all...really weird. Also it felt like a 12 year old came up with the script. With all that said I still had a pretty good time with it. Not bad, but nothing special.

7/10

That sounds more like a 4 than a 7!

Calcium

Banned
I really want to know what made the kids so terrible.

I didn't mind the kids, but I can see where the poor writing would cause other people to dislike them. The movie mentioned several times that the younger brother was a genius, but I don't remember any point where it paid off. Their relationship arc (If you want to call it that) was pretty clumsy so I could see where people would just find them annoying.

I too am confused when you hear a bunch of complaints and then see stuff like "8/10". Wut? I think some just have really low? high? standards.

The action scenes and nostalgia can easily boost most peoples over impression.

Holy shit, that was awesome! Had so much fun. Made me feel like a kid again watching the original, loved all the callbacks and references. That entire climax had me on the edge of my seat i swear, and the entire audience cheered multiple times.

I really want to know what made the kids so terrible.

For me it wasn't so much the kids themselves as it was their vanilla story.
The entire divorce plot feels like it's tacked on. Scenes like the phone conversation between Claire and her sister, the godawful crying scene on the tram and the bonding conversations they have are just awkward and out of place. When they are tagging along with Owen and Claire or cruising through the park they are fine.
They were passable child actors, I just felt their story could have used a little addition by subtraction.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
For me it wasn't so much the kids themselves as it was their vanilla story.
The entire divorce plot feels like it's tacked on. Scenes like the phone conversation between Claire and her sister, the godawful crying scene on the tram and the bonding conversations they have are just awkward and out of place. When they are tagging along with Owen and Claire or cruising through the park they are fine.
They were passable child actors, I just felt their story could have used a little addition by subtraction.

Ok, I'll agree with that. The whole
divorce thing was kind of unnecessary. I mean, I guess it was a plot point to also help strengthen their brotherly bond, but didn't serve too much a purpose overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom