• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World SPOILER THREAD | Boy, do I hate being spoiled all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
No kidding. It's really sad that not only can't Hasbro beat a 22-year-old toy, but they can't even sniff the unlicensed T-Rex by Papo.

Not contest. And I'll bet the Hasbro will cost a great deal more than that Papo.

Forget Papo. This is JP1.

QxmxlvM.jpg

Whats the deal with Jurassic Park toys and open wounds. Somebody's going to get an infection.

It's a thing JP3 started.. old toys had wound covers, which was great for play factor. I dunno why they go with the permanent wounds, they look like damn zombies.

Shame, they did away with it for the 2013 Dino Showdowns Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus, going back to replaceable damage:

Such a huge difference between those and the new JW toys. =/

Just the toys? Because if they appeared that way on film that would be the coolest thing this franchise has done with my favorite dinosaur. Everything about that toy, the design, colors, etc, are awesome. It must stay.

The toys have always gone further than the films in terms of quantity of dinos. But JW is a theme park, so I would be disappointed if we saw no Allosaurus.

In the trailer, we've seen Raptors, Brachiosaurus, Triceratops, Galimimus, Dimorphodon, Pteradactyl, Mosasaur, Stegosaurus, I-Rex, we know T-Rex will be in it.

That's ten dinosaurus, the most we've ever had in a JP film (I think?).

Now, according to the website, the dinos in the park left out of that list are: Edmonotonsaurus, Baryonyx, Ankylosaurus, Microceratus, Suchomimus, Pachy, Para, and Metra - saurs.

Assuming Ankylosaurus, Para and Pacha are in, maybe even Suchomimus, that brings the total to 14.

EDIT: I just saw the Jimmy Fallon is the video host for the Gyrosphere. That'll be a fun cameo.

bengraven

We need Allosauruses. Especially since there are large chances they may have hunted in packs. Packs of smaller T-Rexes, some with horns? Yes, please.

Also, the permanent body damage is fucking stupid. I didn't realize that was a thing now.

Just the toys? Because if they appeared that way on film that would be the coolest thing this franchise has done with my favorite dinosaur. Everything about that toy, the design, colors, etc, are awesome. It must stay.

The 2013 Dino Showdown toys were amazing. They were orginally part of a much larger line planned for 2010/2011 that got scrapped. We only have pictures of the 12" dinos, but we know about a dozen 8" dinos were sculpted with same quality as well. They hired in from McFarlane and more for the ill-fated line.

Sadly, only the Allosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurs saw release.

The art of the side of the 2013 toys packaging was also amazing:

They really put some effort into those, which seemingly can't be said about the JW items.

This is amazing. Pleeeaase do a full photoshop of this, perhaps using the Spino arms for full effect.

Maybe this will help:

VvwzJv2.png

Yeah, the sickle claw less raptors are a tragedy and all (I wish I was on the Hasbro account), but I REALLY hate how they depict T-Rex and other Theropods' tails as snake like whippy wispy things in the movie. It's a bigger transgression than the lack of feathers.

If you ever been to natural history museum and saw their fossils, you would see that their tail structure does not lent themselves to such snake like movements. They are more like Kangaroo tails. More rigid and used for balancing the body forward of the legs.

I forgot to post the Spinosaurus, which looks like a McDonalds Happy Meal toy:

0MzjPe0.jpg

which also looked way better in earlier pictures:

p9m0JxN.jpg

NEVER assume the production run will look as good as the paint masters. NEVER.

Paint master is the absolute best case scenario. Even if you don't consider reduction of deco ops for cost reasons (happens to most toys), you have to realize that the paint master were hand painted by very skilled artists with fine tools. Production runs are done with book masks and the spray guns in the hands of over worked Chinese laborers who couldn't give two shits about matching the paint master.

No kidding. It's really sad that not only can't Hasbro beat a 22-year-old toy, but they can't even sniff the unlicensed T-Rex by Papo.

No contest. And I'll bet the Hasbro will cost a great deal more than that Papo.

How tall is that Papo T-Rex? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Paint master is the absolute best case scenario. Even if you don't consider reduction of deco ops for cost reasons (happens to most toys), you have to realize that the paint master were hand painted by very skilled artists with fine tools. Production runs are done with book masks and the spray guns in the hands of over worked Chinese laborers who couldn't give two shits about matching the paint master.

Oh, I absolutely get and know that, but this is a new low for a JP line. The overall build quality is awkward, and looks like it's going to fall apart.. hell, the jaw articulates where the cheeks start as opposed to the actual jaw.

While I didn't expect the paint app to hit that level, the 'final' looks particularly bad, especially when compared to past outputs.

Not like the master paint was that good looking to begin with. It's not even as good as the actual toys that came out years ago.

Not like the master paint was that good looking to begin with. It's not even as good as the actual toys that came out years ago.

The paint master was fine. I think the real problem was the articulation layout. It's all kinds of bo bo. I would have not allow that fucking travesty of jaw and neck articulation set up.

If anything, the paint master is cheating it's ass off since I see hints of airbrushing to accentuate shadows. It doesn't help that the production version lost at least half dozen paint ops since the tail is completely bare.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't notice this JW thread *subbed like the others*

Shame those prototypes didn't come out the same at the end. Thread reminds me that I still need to pick up those Papos one day.

I love how this has turned into a toy thread for the moment being.

And on that note, it looks like the line managed to produce something nice:

SrhhWDO.jpg

Ankys are badass as shit. I think it was my favorite dinosaur when I was a kid and now she's the most beautiful thing I've ever saw/couldnthelpit

Amalthea

Banned
Ankys are badass as shit. I think it was my favorite dinosaur when I was a kid and now she's the most beautiful thing I've ever saw/couldnthelpit
I had a Ankylosaurus and Ceratosaurus phase very early into my fascination with dinos (most likely from a pic where the two fought).
So I kinda hope Ceratosaurus will look decent too since he seems not too bad from the earlier pics.

This has probably been asked before, but why the 'JW' and 'JP' monograms on the toys? Is it a branding thing or are the dinos meant to actually be marked?
JW could be like marking cattle, though being honest the Dinos are Landlocked and I doubt that many other parks have Dinosaurs as I think Ingen would have patented it.

Just got delivered to the office most of the Hasbro JW finished samples. Surprised to see that all are hard plastic. No soft rubber SKUs at all.

And that Spinosaur's articulation makes sense now. It has side to side movement as well as up and down movement.

Just got delivered to the office most of the Hasbro JW finished samples. Surprised to see that all are hard plastic. No soft rubber SKUs at all.

And that Spinosaur's articulation makes sense now. It has side to side movement as well as up and down movement.

Anything stand out now that you have them in hand? Interesting about the spinosaurs articulation- it makes sense, but it still doesn't look great. Bummer about the lack of rubber skus..

I really want a large Mosasaur, but it seems we're only getting a smaller one bundled with the 2.5" submarine vehicle.

SrhhWDO.jpg

That's actually not too bad. I guess if you throw enough darts at the wall, eventually one of them would hit.

I always wanted an Apatosaurus toy. Why don't they make Sauropod toys?

Speaking of toys, I received the first wave of Hero Mashers today. They look way better in person, and kinda give me a Chaos Effect Jr vibe. I like them, surprisingly enough. Working on an unboxing video or two right now.

Speaking of toys, I received the first wave of Hero Mashers today. They look way better in person, and kinda give me a Chaos Effect Jr vibe. I like them, surprisingly enough. Working on an unboxing video or two right now.

Yeah, maybe retarded version! Am totally insulted...

Anything stand out now that you have them in hand? Interesting about the spinosaurs articulation- it makes sense, but it still doesn't look great. Bummer about the lack of rubber skus..

No. They are all meh. Some of the larger SKU's proportions are disturbingly off. Quality of the sculpts also have taken a dive since 1996.

SrhhWDO.jpg

Yeah this seems to be the one redeeming figure for the line so far (along with Blue)- though I also liked the leaked I-Rex figure.

Are you the same Demoncarnotaur on JPtoys? Ive been a member there for almost 13 years, more of a lurker nowadays but I still post sometimes. Names rob6027 on there, posted an updated picture of my collection on there a few days ago.

Yeah this seems to be the one redeeming figure for the line so far (along with Blue)- though I also liked the leaked I-Rex figure.

Are you the same Demoncarnotaur on JPtoys? Ive been a member there for almost 13 years, more of a lurker nowadays but I still post sometimes. Names rob6027 on there, posted an updated picture of my collection on there a few days ago.

Bahaha, yup. And ChrisLikesDinos elsewhere. Been on JPtoys for almost as long, though also as a lurker for most of the time.

Looks like the final piece of the puzzle has just been found.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how they got aquatic dinosaur DNA and thought that melting icecaps could have released trapped dino corpses but there has been an update on Masrani website.

February 2015: Fossil fuels to fossils

Masrani Oil and International Genetic Technologies will be meeting in March to discuss how new innovations in fossil fuel technology will be able to aid in the identification of well-preserved fossils, the key element needed to bring Jurassic World’s dinosaurs to life. "Fossil fuels are hydrocarbons such as coal, oil and natural gas, derived from the biological remnants of prehistoric organisms", explains Emma Hannigan - Masrani Oil’s Head of Public Relations. "An analysis of an offshore peat deposit in the United Arab Emirates has shown identifiable carbon and iron-rich organic structures from the late Cretaceous to mid Miocene periods. This has InGen’s scientists very excited. With the prospects of adding to InGen’s ever expanding aquatic and botanic genomic library, who knows what else is out there?"

I'm not sure how plausible it is but considering DNA only has a half-life of 521 years I will give them a pass for trying to come up with a way that isn't complete bullshit.

Looks like the final piece of the puzzle has just been found.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out how they got aquatic dinosaur DNA and thought that melting icecaps could have released trapped dino corpses but there has been an update on Masrani website.

I'm not sure how plausible it is but considering DNA only has a half-life of 521 years I will give them a pass for trying to come up with a way that isn't complete bullshit.

The mosquito drinking from a washed up sea carcass makes more sense than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom