• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has no damn respect for himself

Xavier Woods already took his soul, so he doesn't care anymore

xaviereqj49.png

PSqueak

Banned
I literally said in my first post that Gawker were a shit corporation and that my issue was with people celebrating Hulk and his win. My other point is that mentioning justice when a person's making money from destroying their own career with racist comments kinda destroys the concept of any justice taking place.

If the law worked then Hulk would get fuck all in damages and the people responsible at Gawker would suffer the consequences of breaching privacy.

I think it's gets complicated because hogan was awarded 2 sums, one for economic injuries and one for distress, in a way i guess i do agree the distress one is kinda bullshit (because hogan is at fault of his racism), but the economic injuries pertains to the damage done to Hulk Hogan, the brand, not Hulk Hogan the person (Terry), which means it applies different rules than to damage to an actual person, and when were talking of an abstract entity "Gawker" (a corporation) damaging another abstract concept "Hulk Hogan" (the brand) monetary repay is the only way in which some semblance of punishment can be dealt.

Kid Goku

Banned
What happens when say they can barely pay a total of 10m max ? How will they award Hulk with 100m+ if the opposing party can't even cough up 1/10th of that during their entire life ? How does that work ?

Armaros

While an outlet that practically posts a sex tape with the aim of profit&defamation, and then defies a court order for little more than what certain corners of the internet could call "teh lulz", i'm still completely baffled by why a jury was involved at all in this.

I can understand penal cases, but civil?

You could reroute the vast majority of the monetary penalty to the state, i guess. Fines instead of damages.

It's a civil suit by Hogan directly. The state is not prosecuting Gawker and there is no law or rule against being racist.

Lime

Gawker is despicable and should be punished according to the law but as a non American can someone explain to me why and how such a fuckton of
money is a fitting amount? I thought the justice systems was about making sure illegal actions got punished with sentences and fines, not see how much of an insane amount of money you can get out of someone else when you've been wronged?

And yes, Gawker is despicable and have done terrible things. I'm just not understanding the line of justice here in terms of money transfer.

So holding racist views at any point in time nullifies a person's rights. Good to know.
That's totally what I meant. Nothing gets past you.

Or just maybe, this is an outrageous sum that will terminate hundreds of jobs belonging to people who had nothing to do with the decision to air this sex tape. I just find it amusing that people are celebrating someone of his character receiving such an inordinate amount of money is all. But totally feel free to interpret that as he should have no rights.

Forkball

How surreal is it that one of the biggest media outlets on the web was singlehandedly brought down by Hulk Hogan? When I found Gawker ten years ago I never thought, "It's only a matter of time before Hulk Hogan dooms this place."

MisterHero

Gawker is despicable and should be punished according to the law but as a non American can someone explain to me why and how such a fuckton of
money is a fitting amount? I thought the justice systems was about making sure illegal actions got punished with sentences and fines, not see how much of an insane amount of money you can get out of someone else when you've been wronged?

And yes, Gawker is despicable and have done terrible things. I'm just not understanding the line of justice here in terms of money transfer.
Hulk Hogan is a brand. That brand is his business. When the tape got out, his career in pro wrestling ended. That's endorsements, merchandise, and even past/future media appearances. So a business got screwed for destroying another business.

Kite

So basically if you're already rich you get an even bigger amount of money than if you were less rich ?

Rich people keep getting richer.

Lets say you get into a car accident into a piece of crap car like a Ford Pinto vs crashing into someone's brand new BMW and you are at fault. One is going to be more expensive, welcome to life.

SkyOdin

It is a civil suit, not a criminal case. The damages paid to Hulk Hogan were to compensate him for the money he has lost and will lose in the future thanks to the release of the tape. The logic behind it is very common, the only thing worth questioning is whether or not the exact amount is appropriate.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
in a way i guess i do agree the distress one is kinda bullshit (because hogan is at fault of his racism)
I don't think the racism talk was even a part of this trial, correct me if I'm wrong. The distress is having his sex tape released and the hell that causes him on a personal level.

At any rate, he didn't know he was being videotaped and had a reasonable expectation of privacy so I don't know how you can argue anything was his fault.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't think the racism talk was even a part of this trial, correct me if I'm wrong. The distress is having his sex tape released and the hell that causes him on a personal level.

At any rate, he didn't know he was being videotaped and had a reasonable expectation of privacy so I don't know how you can argue anything was his fault.

It's just that emotional distress is such a nebulous concept, why not award the entire total just as economic damage to the Hulk Hogan brand?

jtar86

Gawker finally got what they dissevered. Sucks for the people that will lose their jobs because of this thought.

MisterHero

Couldn't someone argue that the Enquirer leaking the racist remarks was an attempt to discredit Hogan while his case was going?

Granted, the sources were anonymous, but would retaliation be illegal if connections were made?

Lime

Hulk Hogan should donate a lot of this to Black Lives Matter or Southern Poverty Law Center or some similar organization or movement. No one needs this amount of money and it would compliment his apology for his racism well.

Spread maybe 112 million around to various organizations and movements, I'd say. Which still leaves an already rich celebrity with 3 million US dollars (more than many will earn in their lifetime)

Hulk Hogan is a brand. That brand is his business. When the tape got out, his career in pro wrestling ended. That's endorsements, merchandise, and even past/future media appearances. So a business got screwed for destroying another business.

It is a civil suit, not a criminal case. The damages paid to Hulk Hogan were to compensate him for the money he has lost and will lose in the future thanks to the release of the tape. The logic behind it is very common, the only thing worth questioning is whether or not the exact amount is appropriate.

Thanks!

Merc_

Gawker is garbage. Hulk Hogan is garbage.

Hulk Hogan should donate a lot of this to Black Lives Matter or Southern Poverty Law Center or some similar organization or movement. No one needs this amount of money and it would compliment his apology for his racism well.

lol he's not actually sorry about that.

So a racist gets $115 million, and a family of websites people sort of don't like sometimes is about to go under, losing people several dozen jobs in the process; GAF celebrates.

k.

What does being a racist have to do with anything? Hogan has a right to privacy with regards to the sex tape, and Gawker completely spat on it. If anything, Gawker deserved what they had for their rebellious and hypocritical attitude.

Hulk Hogan donates a portion of that $115m to charities for minorities and then issues a televised apology for his racist comments. How likely?

Anth0ny

Hogan should pay off his debts and give a large chunk of that money to charity if he still cares about his public image

Kama_1082

Banned
So a racist gets $115 million, and a family of websites people sort of don't like sometimes is about to go under, losing people several dozen jobs in the process; GAF celebrates.

k.
A website that outed a non celebrity because they worked for a rival publishing company..the outfit totally deserves it.

Glad Hulk appears to be getting justice.

The same rights that protect racists are also granted to you with your own stupid beliefs, whatever they may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom