• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxamin

9S40KN7.png

dear lord...

Dennis

Banned
I'm sure this has already been posted, but this is the caliber of person who was working at Gawker. From the trial:

Fucking dancing around the room that these scumfucks are done and dusted. And yes, that was probably the classic Gawker 'snark', and no, I don't give a fuck.

EDIT: New York Times link
How can this be real?

He would be OK with posting a "sex tape" (abuse tape) if the child was 5 years or older?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm sure this has already been posted, but this is the caliber of person who was working at Gawker. From the trial:

Fucking dancing around the room that these scumfucks are done and dusted. And yes, that was probably the classic Gawker 'snark', and no, I don't give a fuck.

he tried to walk it back in person as being 'flippant' (which, if you want the video deposition, you do get that from his pause/tone) but still I'm glad he got put personally on the hook too. Dude is fucked.

Having the opinion that Gawker deserved what they got in this ruling makes a person a Gater now? I don't understand.

Did... Did I say that? Like... At all?

For the record, I do believe Nick Denton and the Gawker staff do deserve what happened. They objectively did something wrong and deliberately disobeyed a court order. The jury was in the right, and while it sucks for those not at fault who are affected, you can't immunize a company from consequences because some employees will be unfairly put out. Because then virtually no company ever could be sued, which is of course absurd.

Also for the record, Hulk Hogan is a shitbag, but that's completely irrelevant to the law and legal justice.

But when I see stuff like "Maybe this will teach Kotaku to not shit on its constituents when they are reliant on them for hits if they get picked up by someone else." and self-justifying vitriol towards Kotaku writers not connected to this case, it's pretty clear to me certain elements around this topic are celebrating because they're Gaters.

Tom_Cody

And Daulerio was found personally liable, so his life is totally fucked. I bet he wishes that he hadn't acted like such an asshole in the trial.

Gawker's fate was sealed with this deposition. Dude came off like a massive shithead and jury buried them for it.

he tried to walk it back in person as being 'flippant' (which, if you want the video deposition, you do get that from his pause/tone) but still I'm glad he got put personally on the hook too. Dude is fucked.
What a strange dude. You'd think you'd WANT to act a little sympathetic if you were gonna be liable for such a huge sum.

Mimosa97

They basically killed his ability to earn any real amount of money as Hulk Hogan for the rest of his life. That's worth a pretty penny. Probably not $115 million, but I'd say something bigger than $10 million isn't unreasonable.

So basically if you're already rich you get an even bigger amount of money than if you were less rich ?

Rich people keep getting richer.

Breads

Banned

What I have learned in this topic is that if you are outraged by Gawker and are celebrating this victory you are a closet GGer and possibly a racist sympathizer.

Boy is that a stupid way to think.

hirokazu

I don't have any idea of who they're claiming is a Gator, but they're not necessarily claiming that anti-Gawker = GG.
Having the opinion this is a fair ruling doesn't even make someone anti-Gawker, let alone a Gater. I enjoy some Gawker-owned sites but I still think they're in the wrong here.

Although I can see that some people have been coming in here to post nothing but glee at Gawker's demise. Still, Gawker has made a lot of people angry as numerous examples have posted here have shown, not just Gaters.

Jezebel's response to "the fappening" was uh...interesting.

-First, they reported on the Jennifer Lawrence photos (I guess they were the first that came out) and INCLUDED A LINK TO THE IMAGE GALLERY.

-Then they took down the link.

-Later, they went full-on into saying that people who viewed the images were basically complicit in being sex abusers, ignoring the fact that they all obviously viewed the images themselves and even provided a link to them in their initial report, so others could view them as well.

Didn't they also run a story about how shitty another site was for not taking down the photos when requested as well? Think that is what I always see linked when people talk about the "links" between that instance and this one.
Guess I could look it up on my own instead of just asking...

Again, there is still a difference between Jezebel and Gawker proper and clearly different people in the same overall company can have different opinions on things, but it just wasn't a good look.

HariKari

So basically if you're already rich you get an even bigger amount of money than if you were less rich ?

If you trade on your name, and they damage your name, naturally any award is going to be higher. The celebrity factors in because it's basically his business.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Think of it this way. If I crash into a Camry, I'm going to be on the hook for a lot less than if I crash into a Maserati.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
giphy.gif

I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,

Well you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,

giphy.gif

Catvoca

Banned
Whilst that may be so, and i may be downplaying GG too much, the point i'm illustrating is Gawker media is begger than that, and has gotten its reputation long before it, so the suggestions that the hate now and that those who are enjoying its downfall are in some way related to GG is down right idiotic and frankly insulting

also awesome user name

I'm sorry if I was insulting in bringing up GG. I just thought that some of the hate around Gawker must have come from GG (especially looking at the replies to Patrick Klepek's tweet posted earlier). I was not saying anti Gawker = GG, or accusing anyone of being apart of GG, I was just saying there might be a connection. Particularly because people seem to be enjoying this whole thing so much, which I personally find distasteful. I was just bringing up some points about the strange reaction to this whole thing, apologies if I misrepresented anyone, or caused you any offense, it wasn't intended.

Jackpot

Banned

"bu bu bu JOBS!"

Well maybe their jobs weren't worth shit if they work to further a company like that^. I swear, people would cry over the jobs of chemo technicians if cancer was cured.

Griss

If that is snark then they don't get the gravity of a court case like this and they were destined to fail.

Exactly, which adds to the schadenfreude of this whole thing. Smarmy little shit thought he was being cute.

This is exactly it. They were undone by the very attitude everyone hated them for from the start. This arrogant, snarky, 'we're above all of this nonsense' bullshit. It's delicious.

Culex

Banned
This will get appealed and the can will be kicked down the road for a few years as this case goes into legal limbo.

Not the last we have heard of this case.

Hasney

This will get appealed and the can will be kicked down the road for a few years as this case goes into legal limbo.

Not the last we have heard of this case.

Even if they appeal, they have to put $50million into an escrow so something has to give. They;ll have to liquidate something.

That's how the "actual damages" part works. If you were going to make "x" but now you aren't making "x" you get paid accordingly. But that's just a part of the judgement.

Think of it this way. If I crash into a Camry, I'm going to be on the hook for a lot less than if I crash into a Maserati.

This is more succinct than my own answer.

Besides, if Terry Bollea was an anonymous bus driver in Tampa, Gawker wouldn't have published his sex tape.

Par Score

But when I see stuff like "Maybe this will teach Kotaku to not shit on its constituents when they are reliant on them for hits if they get picked up by someone else." and self-justifying vitriol towards Kotaku writers not connected to this case, it's pretty clear to me certain elements around this topic are celebrating because they're Gaters.

Yep, anybody using this shitshow to take pops at Kotaku (who's staff had nothing to do with any of this at all, yet are some of the people most likely to lose out because of it) is pretty scummy.

Even if they're not Gators, they're dancing to a very crocodilian tune.

If you were in an audience that was shit on by Kotaku, you were probably also a member of a games-related hate group

fighting game community? DOA fans? japanese animation fans? i'm sorry could you be more specific what part of a hate group i belong to?

dont be passive aggressive you can quote me directly. Totilo and his people have done shady shit in the past that's been well documented. Just because GGers hate on them for the those same reasons doesn't suddenly magically erase the gawker style dealings they partook in.

stop using GG as some sort of excuse or relief from culpation for the type of culture gawker had in its sites. It's not like gawker hasn't been at this long before GG.

How can this be real?

He would be OK with posting a "sex tape" (abuse tape) if the child was 5 years or older?

I really thought this was fake when people were first talking about it. I can not imagine a world where posting the video itself in an instance like that would be considered newsworthy, even if you are reporting on the existence of the tape. Like best I can hope is that he wasn't taking the question seriously but he is going to be paying for that for a while.

Armaros

Handing a person a ridiculous amount of money because they were caught out for being racist cunt isn't justice?

If this case had a different victim then I wouldn't have made the comment.

You know we only found about the racist remarks after the lawsuit was set?

And how it was about Gawker's refusal to take down the video after a court order told them to?

Being against racism doesn't mean you encourage invasion of privacy by not punishing it.

RedShift

Truly the worst things about gamer gate is making hating Gawker look bad.

Hulk is an piece of shit too, but I can't feel bad about Gawker getting the shit kicked out of them, I just can't.

qcf x2

That's pretty silly, of course if your net worth and earnings potential is higher you should be awarded a higher sum. It's common sense. And if Erin Andrews's trouble was worth $55m then Hogan getting $115m is probably low.

hirokazu

Did... Did I say that? Like... At all?
Sorry, that was the impression I got from your reply in the context of what the person you replied to wrote. But as I've also said, I can see some people's replies are simply celebrating the potential demise of Kotaku and whatnot and that is certainly a bit suss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom