• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.
off topic but fuck Shawn for not doing proper business there. He even called out Hogan for leaving the night after, why the fuck would hulk do business with a guy who could make him look like a million bucks but instead shat all over the ring? I mean, the dude even bled for business like a stuck pig. I wonder if Shawn regrets it

They were supposed to trade win losses but Hogan, Hogan'd his way out of it at the last minute. So it was one match only with HBK doing the job. They wanted the old HBK for this feud, and well... be careful what you wish for, etc. etc...

CDX

The article says they plan to appeal.

I thought they couldn't?

I dunno.

I think it might be like this.

They can't appeal the first decision where the jury awarded 140 Million without first putting money up. Money they apparently can't afford.

But they can appeal this second decision where the Judge just refused to reduce the amount they had to pay. If they get the amount reduced enough on appeal, they can then afford put up enough money to appeal the original ruling. But if they lose the appeal to reduce the money then they are SOL.

But I'm not sure how it works. So somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I might have it totally wrong.

Rizzi

Just when I thought it couldn't get any more like a wrestling storyline, the freaking surprise return of an old nemesis. You reap what you sow, Gawker. Someone needs to modified the "it was me Austin, it was me all along" gif to Thiel.

Looks like Gawker didn't realize it was a tag team match.

ghostjoke

Banned
This is not a decision on the appeal. In addition to appealing, a litigant can ask the court for a new trial. Such motions are very rarely granted.

So Gawker is basically dead unless something weird happens?

I won't shed any tears over the death of Gawker, but Hogan's still a piece of shit.

If it's any commiseration, Thiel's motive is to destroy Gawker, even at the expense of Hogan. Hogan will get more money than he deserves, but Thiel looks to be ready to burn everything in his path (including Hogan if necessary) to ruining Gawker - the ideal outcome.

Cat Party

So Gawker is basically dead unless something weird happens?

No, Gawker has also appealed (or will do so, if they haven't already). The appeal will be heard by a higher court, and it will take some time. The standard for granting a new trial on appeal are different, and the trial judge will have no part in the decision.

ghostjoke

Banned
No, Gawker has also appealed (or will do so, if they haven't already). The appeal will be heard by a higher court, and it will take some time. The standard for granting a new trial on appeal are different, and the trial judge will have no part in the decision.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Pretty sure the ruling said Gawker needed to front $40 million to appeal. They would have to liquidate to get that kind of cash.

Cat Party

Pretty sure the ruling said Gawker needed to front $40 million to appeal. They would have to liquidate to get that kind of cash.

I don't personally know what Gawker's plan is, but I can tell you from experience there is always a way around the bond requirement. It won't be a factor here.

They sold some portion of the company earlier this year, and the presumption from the announcement of that was that it was done to ensure they'd have the money to post in escrow in order to appeal.

Gawker has thought it likely that they'd probably lose at trial and would have to win on appeal. They probably didn't anticipate the award being that high, but they should be pretty well set to get this to an appeals court while continuing operations.

EDIT:
I dunno.

I think it might be like this.

They can't appeal the first decision where the jury awarded 140 Million without first putting money up. Money they apparently can't afford.

But they can appeal this second decision where the Judge just refused to reduce the amount they had to pay. If they get the amount reduced enough on appeal, they can then afford put up enough money to appeal the original ruling. But if they lose the appeal to reduce the money then they are SOL.

But I'm not sure how it works. So somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I might have it totally wrong.

You're wrong.

When you lose a case in Florida, you can appeal. However, just saying that you're appealing doesn't stop the judgment against you unless the court issues a stay of the judgment. If you don't manage to obtain a stay on the judgment, you have to pay up. Florida law provides that you can get this stay automatically if you post an appeals bond, which is the the amount of the judgment plus two years of interest. However, Florida law caps the size of that appeals bond at $50m regardless of the judgment, so the court could have handed Hogan a billion dollar judgment and the appeals bond would remain at $50m.

You can still appeal without posting an appeals bond, but you will have to make payments towards the judgment while the appeal continues, and if you win on appeal and the money you paid towards the judgment is gone by the time you win the appeal, you might just be out everything you paid out (which is why this isn't a real option in the Hogan case).

Before they post the money, or make a motion to get a stay without the bond, they can say to the judge "You've really fucked this up, so before we take this to an appeals court to have you overruled, would you like to reconsider?" They don't have to post a single dollar in escrow for that, so it's worth trying.

The judge said no, and this case is going to move to an appellate court eventually.

Patryn

They sought outside investment prior to this trial for this exact scenario. It's likely they will not need to liquidate. Remember that they had a vested interest in portraying themselves as being in a worse financial situation than they actually are during the penalty phase.

commedieu

Banned
Doesn't it bother you all in the least that a Silicon Valley billionare is attempting to sue a media organization he doesn't like out of existence? ��

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/peter-thiel-funding-hulk-hogan-gawker-lawsuit/

the only thing in the way of that jimmie, is Gawker.

Its not the a reputable media organization. They did dirt, got busted, and doubled down. Labeling them under "media organization" doesn't absolve them of having little to no journalistic integrity befitting the label.

Aselith

Gawker getting dunked on and making the Hulkster richer. OH YEAH BROTHER

Doesn't it bother you all in the least that a Silicon Valley billionare is attempting to sue a media organization he doesn't like out of existence? ��

Media organizations have a responsibility to conduct themselves within the bounds of the law and journalistic ethics. So no, it doesn't bother me that he's destroying them for violating that.

Aselith

Nick Denton has posted an open letter to Peter Thiel (SV billionaire bankrolling this lawsuit and others against Gawker):

http://gawker.com/an-open-letter-to-peter-thiel-1778991227

It's crazy how everyone involved sounds like a complete scumbag. Feel bad for all the good editors caught up in the uncertainty of this.

If I had the money and someone exposed something personal about me that I preferred to keep private and that was just gossip, I'd probably destroy them too if given the opportunity. There was no real reason to publish that he was gay, they did it just to get clicks and Gawker has a long history of this stuff. They deserve it all. It's vindictive but they invited a vendetta.

By all means, journalists should expose corruption and the like but someone's sexuality is their business barring criminal conduct.

ghostjoke

Banned
Doesn't it bother you all in the least that a Silicon Valley billionare is attempting to sue a media organization he doesn't like out of existence? 🤔

It would if Gawker were actually doing something worthwhile and not just being shitbags for clicks. If they were actual journalists getting screwed over by legal fuckery for covering important news, then yes, it could be a major cause for concern. I will say that Thiel manipulating how things played out to ensure the trial was as costly as possible it is terrifying if applied to other cases, but I'll hold out worry until the case isn't a group of shits still trying to defend their repeated invasions of others' privacy. As steep as the payment is, an example needs to be made for this and it couldn't happen to a nicer company; judging by that latest article, Nick Denton will need to be ruined before he might actually grasp the basics of human decency.

Aselith

original.gif

CHC

No, not when that "media organization" is devoted largely to profiting off of rumors about public figure's personal lives. Rumors about things that in virtually all cases are irrelevant. It's an absolutely horrible foundation for an organization, and all the haughty bullshit about "free speech" is just a puny fig leaf to cover the ugliness that Gawker is built on.

I know that they have other mostly worthwhile branches like Kotaku but the fact is that Gawker is by and large a low brow gossip rag.

Nick Denton has posted an open letter to Peter Thiel (SV billionaire bankrolling this lawsuit and others against Gawker):

http://gawker.com/an-open-letter-to-peter-thiel-1778991227

It's crazy how everyone involved sounds like a complete scumbag. Feel bad for all the good editors caught up in the uncertainty of this.

I really can't imagine a more meandingerly worded, immature letter. I guess Denton figures if he can't win public favor he'll just double down on being a completely childish brat.

Kotaku could die!? FINISH THEM HULK. Take em to the cleaners BROTHER!

giphy.gif

Gawker is run by complete dipshits, but I genuinely don't understand the hatred for Kotaku, especially after Totilo took over from Crecente (who ran that site like a fucking rag-column, good riddance).

Killing kotaku is a good thing.

How so? What exactly does anyone or anything have to gain from such an action?

Doesn't it bother you all in the least that a Silicon Valley billionare is attempting to sue a media organization he doesn't like out of existence? 🤔

It should bother people more. Same thing happened to Mother Jones. It'll be more common as those with deep pockets realize what they can do.

Today we are happy to announce a monumental legal victory for Mother Jones: A judge in Idaho has ruled in our favor on all claims in a defamation case filed by a major Republican donor, Frank VanderSloot, and his company, Melaleuca Inc. In a decision issued Tuesday, the court found that Mother Jones did not defame VanderSloot or Melaleuca because "all of the statements at issue are non-actionable truth or substantial truth." The court also found that the statements were protected as fair comment under the First Amendment.

This is the culmination of a lengthy, expensive legal saga that began three years ago when the 2012 presidential primaries were in full swing. On February 6, 2012, we published an article about VanderSloot after it emerged that his company, Melaleuca, and its subsidiaries had given $1 million to Mitt Romney's super-PAC. The piece noted that VanderSloot had gone to unusual lengths to oppose gay rights in Idaho, and that Melaleuca had run into trouble with regulators.

What we do know is that the take-no-prisoners legal assault from VanderSloot and Melaleuca has consumed a good part of the past two and a half years and has cost millions (yes, millions) in legal fees

Since then, Mother Jones and our insurance company have had to spend at least $2.5 million defending ourselves. That's money we can't get back, since Idaho doesn't have an anti-SLAPP statute that might open the door for recovering attorney's fees in a case like this. We also paid for the defense of Zuckerman, whom VanderSloot sued halfway through the case for talking to Rachel Maddow about his experience. (VanderSloot did not sue MSNBC or its deep-pocketed parent company, Comcast. Make of that what you will.)

This kind of legal onslaught is enormously taxing. Last spring, Lowell Bergman, the legendary 60 Minutes producer (whose story of exposing Big Tobacco was chronicled in the Oscar-nominated film The Insider), talked about a "chill in the air" as investigative reporters confront billionaires who can hurt a news organization profoundly whether or not they win in court: "There are individuals and institutions with very deep pockets and unaccountable private power who don't like the way we report. One example is a case involving Mother Jones…A superrich plaintiff is spending millions of dollars while he bleeds the magazine and ties up its staff."

Litigation like this, Bergman said, is "being used to tame the press, to cause publishers and broadcasters to decide whether to stand up or stand down, to self-censor."

Gawker did wrong here and that falls on them, but you should absolutely be fucking afraid of this being used as a tactic. Because it will keep happening.

In her decision Tuesday, the district court judge found in our favor on every single claim VanderSloot had made. She also included a passage expressing her own opinion of Mother Jones, and of political news coverage in general. For his part, Vandersloot issued a statement saying he had been "absolutely vindicated" and announced that he was setting up a $1 million fund to pay the legal expenses of people wanting to sue Mother Jones or other members of the "liberal press."

Aselith

It should bother people more. Same thing happened to Mother Jones. It'll be more common as those with deep pockets realize what they can do.

Gawker did wrong here and that falls on them, but you should absolutely be fucking afraid of this being used as a tactic. Because it will keep happening.

People definitely need to be able to seek recovery for legal fees as that's the really fucked up part on the Mother Jones thing. Having to pay mountains of cash to defend yourself and not being able to seek recovery is pretty messed up. Based on what it said in the article though, it seems to be state by state so maybe it behooves these media companies to incorporate themselves in states where they'll be better protected or something as they get big enough to be a target.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I don't care who funds the lawsuit so long as it isn't over frivolous stuff. Media, just like many other industries, should be responsible for their product. If they break laws they shouldn't be immune to repercussions.

Cipherr

It's crazy how everyone involved sounds like a complete scumbag.

LetThemFight.gif???

But yeah, sucks for Kotaku and a lot of the hardworking people within the organization, but that's all on the owner of the Company. Its his responsibility, and he chucked it around recklessly and got bodied.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

This is the concerning part of all of this. Gawker definitely got what was coming to them for sure, I still feel the verdict was the right one, but this is the part of the story that should give everyone pause.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You didn't read any of that did you?
I did and it is very different from this case.
In mother Jones scenario it appears it was a hush tactic.

In this scenario it's about fucking over a company for releasing a stolen nude video and being obnoxious about everything they do.

The common theme is a rich person is involved somewhere. Rich people aren't inherently evil.

MisterNoisy

Kinda hoping that someone that doesn't suck picks up Jalopnik and the rest of the Gawker shitshow disappears pretty much forever. Someone else will replace Kotaku as the monetizer of Reddit posts of record for the video game community.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm glad that you pointed this out. I first saw something about the Mother Jones example on Vox earlier today at work (where I was definitely working), and I was honestly surprised to see so many people so blithely ignorant about the larger consequences of Thiel's tactics.

It gets glossed over a bit because the outcome was essentially the right one in the case against Gawker. I know when I was talking to someone about it the other day we basically were talking past each other for a bit until we got on the same page.

I'm glad that you pointed this out. I first saw something about the Mother Jones example on Vox earlier today at work (where I was definitely working), and I was honestly surprised to see so many people so blithely ignorant about the larger consequences of Thiel's tactics.

But Gawker blatantly ignored a court order then used social media to be "cute" about it. I highly doubt Mother Jones would do the same.

I see what you are saying but it's different enough to not be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom