• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought Mario Golf: Advance Tour.

Matlock

Banned
It rocks, bitches!

I'm pleasantly suprised by the smoothness of it on the GBA, considering the graphical quality in bits...Sometimes I'm thinking "Wow, I hope the DS does stuff like this."

It's just that good.

Also fun is the fact IT'S A WELL DESIGNED GOLF GAME. Even moreso than the GameCube Mario Golf, Advance Tour has some wild and wacky stuff, but keeps it down to Earth.

Wow...just wow. Nintendo has made a title for the first time this year that I can be proud of owning.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
rad game, but it's just too easy. between the super backspin and the new swing system, it's trivial to put your ball exactly where you want it. it takes all the thinking out of the game; really all you have to do is account for the wind. still, for the couple days it lasted, i actually played it more than espgaluda. that's something.

and it's not the first good nintendo game this year - mario vs. donkey kong rocks as well. although that wasn't developed at ncl either. nintendo proper are still 0 for their last...christ, i don't even know. 0 for their last a lot.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Congratulations Matty. I'll be picking mine up before this holiday weekend begins.

Rawk.

Dyne

I bought the game yesterday and I'm really sickened at how close the Game Boy Colour version is to Advance Tour. It's really awful. And it's good to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's easy; I got -10 on my first ever run of Marion and -11 on Palm.

Being a huge fan of the first one, they're just way too close... but it's still enjoyable with the new graphics..

The connectivity rocks too; I like putting in my own insults/encouragements into Toadstool Tour. I assigned "FHUTA" for the A button.

Matlock

Banned
...a couple of drawbacks, dammit.

#1: Can't play as Bowser/Wario/Luigi/Waluigi without owning Toadstool Tour. Dammit.
#2: Read above again.

BuddyC

Matlock said:
...a couple of drawbacks, dammit.

#1: Can't play as Bowser/Wario/Luigi/Waluigi without owning Toadstool Tour. Dammit.
#2: Read above again.

I really, really think that's bullshit. Just make the criteria for unlocking the characters ridiculously high without the ownage of Toadstool Tour, that'd be a little bit better.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mario Golf is amazing. Me and my friends had an utter blast playing it in the theater while waiting for Spider-Man 2 and none of them are golf fans.

Meier

It's awesome. I havent tried it again since but the back 9 of the Mushroom Kingdom raped me the other day. I sure am glad I never played the GBC version so it's all new to me after hearing fans of it complain about deja vu. :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Meier said:
I sure am glad I never played the GBC version so it's all new to me after hearing fans of it complain about deja vu. :D
The complaints are definitely warrented but luckily they managed to improve on the formula and not just repackage the same exact game.

Ok I haven't played through the game so my comments aren't all that valid but hey I'll try. I don't think that the overall game itself is easy I just think that the difficulty ramp has been favorably skewed toward the beginning audiance (ie: those who've played the original will know what to do at the start). I've played the hell out of the original GBC and GC versions so the first two locations have been a breeze but I have heard people complaining that the later parts and mini-games are dreadfully hard.

Socreges

Banned
Nintendo has at least had a few GBA gems so far, but that's not up to their standard. Has NCL released a single GC game in 2004 up to Pikmin?

ge-man

Socreges said:
Nintendo has at least had a few GBA gems so far, but that's not up to their standard. Has NCL released a single GC game in 2004 up to Pikmin?

Four Swords? Seems like everyone's forgeting about that game.

Memles

On the easy part...yeah, it's too easy. There are parts of the game that very simply are too easy. Anyone who has played a past Mario Golf game can pretty well breeze through the game, and I can say that was a little bit disappointing.

However, while it is easy, there are parts of the game that CAN be hard (Ef's Short Course, although it's just a copycat of Golf Guru from GBC). I think the problem, at this point, is that golf itself isn't exactly the most difficult game. Really, the game's use of backspin and topspin does make even short drive golfers rather complete enough. Mario Tennis GBC was probably the most difficult of the Sports titles, simply because the Story Mode actually was about directly facing fairly tough AI.

The STORY modes of the games, GBC and AT, are far and away too similar. Really, the only differences are the importance of Doubles Play, and the introduction of maybe a few new mini games, club slots and Go-Go Gates. It doesn't make it bad, it is just a little disappointing.

However, what relieves my bitterness right now is that the Quick Game Mode is something that the original lacked, and that allows AT to come into its own. There are the Star Tournaments, there is the collection of Star Holes, along with Character Matches, Go-Go Gates, everything else...it really is MG:TT with a few less courses, but at the same time it includes most of the same options, which makes it a more complete package, in my view.

I've sunk a lot of time into, and expect to put more into it when I play more of MG:TT in the future.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
drohne said:
and it's not the first good nintendo game this year - mario vs. donkey kong rocks as well. although that wasn't developed at ncl either. nintendo proper are still 0 for their last...christ, i don't even know. 0 for their last a lot.
But...but...Four Swords! And Metroid Zero Mission! And Pikmin 2 (in Japan, and admittedly I haven't played this one, but supposedly it's quite good)!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
forgot about zero mission. and i haven't played pikmin 2 yet, but i'm sure i'll enjoy it. four swords is pretty lame single player, although i'm kind of impressed that it's even playable. it might be enjoyable in multiplayer, but multiplayer's only really available to a narrow segment of kids, geeks, and game journalists.

Yes! Great, fun little game. Sure it's on the easy side, but the good FAR outweighs the negative. I still have to link mine up to the Cube for the extras...

Vyse

Gold Member
Mario Golf Rocks. I just flew back from Nashville to Vegas yesterday and played for the 3 1/2 hour flight non-stop.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bowser said:
Mario Golf or Mario vs Donky Kong?

ARGH IT'S SO HARD TO DECIDE.

Mario Golf, definately

Mario vs DK is still a good game, but not the kind of game that jumps out to you and says "BUY ME." That's Mario Golf

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Great game. It is too easy and I agree it looks great except for some slow-down here and there. The Toadstool Tour requirement is lame as I'm never buying that game again and connectivity sucks teh butt.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
drohne said:
four swords is pretty lame single player, although i'm kind of impressed that it's even playable. it might be enjoyable in multiplayer, but multiplayer's only really available to a narrow segment of kids, geeks, and game journalists.

In other words, "casual gamers won't like it"?

Memles

Musashi Wins! said:
Great game. It is too easy and I agree it looks great except for some slow-down here and there. The Toadstool Tour requirement is lame as I'm never buying that game again and connectivity sucks teh butt.

Maybe it's just me...but when I unlocked the Waluigi/Bowser/Luigi/Wario combination, it seemed to be simulating gaining Birdie Badges...perhaps getting a certain number of birdie badges in the Quick Game Star Tournaments opens all that connectivity unlocks. Just wondering.

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm, I don't think the connectivity for this isn't too bad. It's pretty awesome that you can play your own custom characters on TT. Own those TT courses! Not to mention it helps you unlock more things since you're playing with chars that'll potentially have more drive than any premade nintendo character. Shame you can't transfer the residents of Mario Golf tho.. (Azalea and Gene would rock)

Dyne

Well, farther in the game, it's still too easy for my liking. I decided to write a FAQ for it for a real challenge though. :)

apujanata

Memles said:
Maybe it's just me...but when I unlocked the Waluigi/Bowser/Luigi/Wario combination, it seemed to be simulating gaining Birdie Badges...perhaps getting a certain number of birdie badges in the Quick Game Star Tournaments opens all that connectivity unlocks. Just wondering.

In MG:TT, if you managed to get 36 Birdie Badges, or 45 Birdie Badges, you'll get new courses/ hole to play in the Quick Game option of MG:AT.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Synbios459 said:
I've never played Golf IRL, nor do I know the rules. Would this game be hard to get into?

It's really simple - just hit the ball into the hole using as few swings as possible. I started playing in my senior year of college and now I play at least once a month.

Some golf terminology and rules for you to better understand the game:

ACE: Hole in one.

ADDRESSING THE BALL: Taking your stance and getting ready to hit the ball.

ADVICE: Can't be given on course except by your playing partner in a Four-Ball, or by a caddie.

AIRSWING: Striking at the ball intentionally and missing it. It must be counted as a shot.

ALBATROSS: A score of two on a par five.

ALIGNMENT: The arrangement of the parts of the body and clubface in relation to the target. A part of aiming.

ANGLE OF APPROACH: The steepness of descent of ascent of the clubhead's forward swing which influences the trajectory and distance a ball will travel.

APPROACH SHOT: A stroke made to or onto the putting green, or one made from the fairway in proximity to the green.

ARTIFICIAL OBJECTS: Bottles, packets, cans and such like foreign objects that can be moved without penalty.

AXIS: A straight line around which a body rotates. There are several axes in the golf swing. The one most frequently referred to is the spine, around which the upper body rotates.) Backswing: The motion of the club, hands, arms and body away from the ball creating the potential energy to be delivered downward, outward and forward through the ball.

BACKSPIN: The backward rotation of the ball on its horizontal axis influenced by the loft of the clubface, the angle of approach and the clubhead velocity. A ball struck below its center with any club that has loft, even a putter, will have backspin in the airborne portion of its flight. The greater the backspin, the steeper the ball will fly and more quickly it will stop.

BALANCE: Equilibrium in a static position, i.e., at address (see Dynamic Balance).

BALL: The round object that you hit - occasionally well.

BIRDIE: Scoring one under par.

BLADED: A shot that has a low "line drive" trajectory as a result of having been struck on the lower portion of the clubface on or above the ball's equator. (Skulled shot)

BLOCK: To prevent or delay the rotation of the arms, body, wrists or club in the forward swing.

BOBBING: Lowering then raising, or raising then lowering the swing center during the course of the swing.

BOGEY: Scoring one over par.

BORROW: The amount of compensation in aim taken on the putting green when the player has to deal with a side slope, gravity, grain or the wind's effect on the ball.

BREAK: The curved line a ball travels on the ground because of slope, grain or wind. Also, "break" may refer to the bending at a joint, like a wrist or elbow.

BUGGY: Motorized or wheeled vehicle that carts the player's clubs.

BUMP AND RUN: A shot around the green deliberately played into a bank or hill to deaden the speed while still allowing the ball to bound forward.

BUNKER: A sand filled hazard placed on a fairway or near greens - just for you. A place to dig your way out of. (Sand Trap is not in the rule book - bunker is.)

CADDIE: Person responsible for carrying a player's gear and entrusted with providing advice.

CASUAL WATER: Temporary water not marked as a hazard. Relief may be obtained by dropping the ball. (Not the same as "Formal Water" which is used only on formal occasions.)

CHIP: A shot normally played from a short distance from the green. Also something found in a variation of cookies.

CLEANING THE BALL: A ball may be cleaned whenever it is picked up legally.

CLUBS: A maximum of 14 of any variation may be carried in a competition.

COURSE: The area owned or leased by the golf club for the purpose of playing golf.

CUP: The 10.8cm hole in the putting green.

DIVOT: The piece of turf sometimes cut from the ground when you hit the ball. The turf should be replaced and filled with sand to promote regrowth.

DOUBLE BOGEY: Two over par.

DOUBLE EAGLE: See Albatross.

DRIVER: The longest club in the bag, usually a 1 or a 1 and a half wood.

DROPPING THE BALL: Hold the ball at shoulder height and arm's length to drop it correctly. The ball can be redropped if it still infringes the rules. If it still infringes the rules after being dropped a third time, then it must be placed on the spot it landed on the third drop.

EAGLE: Two under par. Also a large bird of prey.

ECLECTIC: A scoring system where only the best score is counted for each hole over a period of months.

FAIRWAY: The area from tee to green, usually defined by being closely mown.

FLAGSTICK: Supports the flag on the green.

FORE: Yell this loud and clear if it appears your ball may hit another player.

FOUR-BALL: A competition played in pairs, where the best score counts against the best score of the opponents.

FOURSOMES: A competition where two partners hit alternate shots.

GREEN: The carefully mown area of a fairway surrounding the hole. Only use a putter on this surface.

GRIP: The way the hands interlock when holding the club. Also used to describe the leather or rubber handle on the end of a club.

GROSS SCORE: The total number of shots (including penalties) taken for a round.

GROUNDING THE CLUB: The placement of the club behind the ball at address. Not allowed in a hazard.

GUR: (Ground under Repair): Areas marked by the greens staff or a committee from where a drop can be taken without penalty.

HANDICAP: A handicap is allocated to a player according to their ability allowing all players a chance to win. The lower the handicap the better the player's ability. In club play the highest men's handicap is 27 and for women 45.

HAZARD: A bunker or area on the course marked by the club as a hazard is designed to make the course more difficult as it penalizes poor play.

HOLING OUT: Getting the ball into the hole.

HOLE IN ONE: Hitting the ball into the hole from the tee with one shot. Every golfer's dream. Usually only happens on par threes but has occurred on par fours.

HONOR: The player with the best score on the previous hole has the honor and is normally the first to tee off. This can be waived in agreement with other players.

IDENTIFYING THE BALL: Each player has the responsibility to know the make and number of the ball and identically marked balls should not be used in the same group. Some players mark their balls with special marks so that the ball can be clearly identified with theirs on the course.

INDEX: Each hole has a stroke index and a match index. The stroke index usually represents the difficulty of the hole with number 1 being the hardest. The match index is used for handicap matchplay.

IRON: Those clubs other than woods or the putter. Irons have different lofts and lengths with the 9 iron hitting it shorter and higher than a 6 iron.

LOCAL RULES: Committees have the right to specify local rules to suit their course. Can change from week to week and should be read before commencing any round.

LOST BALL: Any ball that cannot be found within 5 minutes of the search commencing must be declared lost. Please note that diving in ponds to recover balls is uncouth MARKER: The person who marks the card of a player.

NET SCORE: The total number of shots taken after the handicap is deducted from the gross score.

OUT OF BOUNDS: The area outside the course usually indicated by stakes or fences.

OVERHANGING BALL: A ball which comes to rest sitting on the lip of the hole. Ten seconds are allowed before another stroke must be played to get it into the hole.

PAR: The number of shots allocated by the club for each hole and for the full round.

PENALTY: One or two shots added to the gross score for infringement of the rules.

PLUGGED BALL: Ball imbedded in its own pitch mark in the ground. It may be dropped without penalty no closer to the hole.

PREFERRED LIES: The local rules may allow you to improve your lie because of the condition of the course. You are usually allowed to clean the ball and more it no more than one card length from the original position.

PROVISIONAL BALL: A second or more ball hit from the same spot as the last shot when the first ball may be lost or out of bounds.

PUTT: A stroke played on the green - usually with a putter.

PUTTER: A club designed for use on the green.

ROUGH: The area outside the closely mown fairway on each hole.

SAND WEDGE: An iron designed specially to get the ball out of a sand bunker.

SCORE: The number of strokes taken on each hole.

SEARCHING FOR A BALL: Players are allowed five minutes to search for a ball before declaring it lost. Groups behind should be called through if they are ready to play.

SLOW PLAY: You are required to keep up with the group in front of you at all times. Slow play can be penalized. It's common courtesy as well.

STAKES: Identified by different colours. Check the local rules to identify what the colours mean.

STAKED TREES: Usually a free drop is allowed from staked trees to avoid damage to them. Check the local rules.

STANCE: Placing your feet firmly and getting ready to play the ball.

STROKE: The forward movement of the club to hit the ball is counted as a stroke. If there is an intention to hit the ball and the player misses, that is also counted as a stroke.

SWING: The movement of the club along an arc, away from the ball and then following through.

TEE: A peg on which to place the ball/ the area set aside at the beginning of the hole to indicate the starting point.

TEE MARKERS: The colored markers placed on the teeing area to indicate the starting line.

WATER HAZARD: An area of water permanently on the course which is marked with stakes or oil lines.

WEDGE: A specially designed iron used close to the green for high, short shots.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm surprised they included a glossary. Pretty neat. As for getting into the game, I consider myself a golf newbie and I found it pretty simple to get into the game. They explain things pretty well

Stele

Holds a little red book
Super quick question -- does Nintendo DS play normal GB games? The Nintendo FAQ makes it seem like only GBA games.

Swordian

What are you guys getting for high scores? I just hit a -19 in the Marion singles tournament.

Edit: Same score in Palms singles tournament a minute ago too.

kiryogi

Banned
So many of the themes rock. It makes me sad that theres no real dormie hole music on the Gamecube version D: D:

Memles

Palms Course: -20
Links Course: -17
Mushroom Course: -13

Granted, I could probably crank out some better scores with Super POW clubs and my subsequent 310 yrd Drive.

Edit: Just went back, grabbed a -23 on Marion. With a huge drive, it's a very, very easy course.

Could someone point out to me where all these challenging golf games are? Advance Tour is pretty easy, but so is every other golf videogame I've played.

Manders

Banned
It's like HSG with RPG elements! I love it! I'm not even very good at it, but it's so addicting. I just forced my brother to get the game and he has played it nonstop for the last six hours. Camelot has done it again!

Top Bottom