• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just built my first gaming PC! What should I play?

Well its not a monster gaming PC, but it has an i5, 8GB RAM, and an R9 380.

Anyway, I've always been an Xbox player so I'm not sure where to start.

I definitely don't want to play shooters, I'd like to play something different, that I would not have been able to play on a console.

So what are the "MUST PLAY" PC games out right now?

Or is there anything that is PS4/PC that I "MUST PLAY?"

I don't want a time sink like Stardew Valley or anything like that.

Enter The Gungeon?
Salt And Sanctuary?

Help, GAF.

Corpekata

Banned
Salt and Sanctuary isn't out on PC yet, it's coming "soon."

Battlefleet Gothic Armada just came out and is getting fairly good reviews / reception if you want to try your hands at an RTS.

I'm personally finally delving into Legend of Grimrock 2 and it's fantastic.

Hyper Light Drifter and SUPERHOT and heading to consoles soonish but are both fantastic games on PC right now.

And of course XCOM 2.

Epistory Typing Chronicles is a wonderful typing game. I'm serious.

Banner Saga 1 and 2. Undertale. Deadbolt

Pillars of Eternity. Divinity Original Sin if you never got around to it on console for RPGs.

Compsiox

Banned
H1Z1 King of the Kill will probably blow your mind. So many players (150) in one space fighting for the win.

That's something you won't get on consoles for years.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What a wonderful feeling to have build your first gaming PC. You get up and running, open Steam/GoG/GMG/whatever and see a world of games that are beyond count.

T-T

Layell

Download Team Fortress 2, it's free and a good place to get good with keyboard and mouse controls. This isn't your 360's TF2 either!

Eolz

Crysis 1 obviously.

edit: kidding. Play some classic RPGs or some MMOs, you don't have those on console.
Also, Star Citizen is free to play until the 25th. If you have a good connection, it's worth a try.

Slythe

Undertale is great.
Papers Please is cool.
Civ V is a nice game to zone out on.
I haven't played Her Story but I've heard nothing but good things.

Olli128

Civilization series, best pc exclusive :) Civ 5 is the best place to start, get the GOTY edition though.

Yes!

Probably real time but I'd be down to try a turn based.

For real time maybe try grey goo, heard good things about that. If you wanna play something really old but really good get Warlords Battlecry 3 from GoG

Spider Solitaire if you have the heart for it.

Go and experiment OP. There is now a whole world for you to explore now. Alot of free games to dip your toes in to as well before jumping onto the bigger games.

*I don't have a gaming PC and I am jealous that you do ;_;

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Go directly to Humble Bundle and buy the Devolver bundle. At least beat the average.

Then check back every Tuesday because nobody comes close to their nutty deals!

Next hit up Bundlestars for the Fear Trilogy at $5, and maybe snag the new bundle with Year Walk, Lichdom Battlemage, Cook Serve Delicious, etc.

inner-G

Banned
Skyrim w/ mods
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Anno 1440

I generally play games on my PC that are also on consoles. I just prefer a controller but like the PC for graphics whoreism.

Go directly to Humble Bundle and buy the Devolver bundle. At least beat the average.

Then check back every Tuesday because nobody comes close to their nutty deals!
I grabbed the Telltale games bundle - 14 games for $12 ain't bad! (even if a few of the games are)

I've only ever played ep. 1 of Walking Dead from them, so it was all new stuff for me

Gattsu25

Banned
Play:
Undertale
Witcher 3
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Pillars of Eternity
Guild Wars 2 (base game is free)
Stardew Valley (yes, you should)
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed (short, free)
Dota 2
Team Fortress 2
Diablo III
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Space Pirates and Zombies
Grim Dawn
The Talos Principle
Warframe
Path of Exile
Hyper Light Drifter
Hexen
Hexen 2
Quake 1
Quake 2
Rebel Galaxy
Hexcells
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (check the steam forums before playing)
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Elder Sign: Omens
Risk of Rain
Audiosurf 2 (play the Ninja mode)
Eador. Masters of the Broken World
Papers Please
Cart Life (free on the dev's homepage) (seems like the site is down now :*\)

Syf

Banned
Yes!

Well I'm a shameless Starcraft fanboy so I'll get that out of the way lol, it's a great RTS and free to try. Company of Heroes, Age of Empires, Warhammer 40k, Command & Conquer are all good IPs to check out for RTS too depending on your taste (I'm assuming you have never played any of them; don't be scared off by how old they are, a lot of them still play great and you can get them cheap). The Total War games feature turn-based campaigns with real-time battles. Civilization games are also very good.

Steel

Banned
What types of games do you like?

Have you ever tried a 4x?

If not here's 3 suggestions for turn-based 4x:

Civilization 5 with all expansions: Realistic 4x

Endless Legend: Fantasy 4x

Endless Space: Space 4x

Can't go wrong with any of those(I'd lean toward the first two).

Also, I highly suggest Medieval 2 Total War.

And one more thing: Since you don't have a PS3, I'd look into Way of the Samurai 4 and see if that's something you'd like.

Yes!

Total War has awesomely massive real-time battles and turn based map. Highly suggested.

paskowitz

IMO The Witcher 3 on PC is one of those, this is much better on PC games. MGSV and BF4 as well.

If you have a FFB steering wheel and like realistic racing games, Assetto Corsa, DiRT Rally and iRacing are worth checking out.

The original Crysis may be a shooter but you have to answer the age old question somehow.

The Witness and The Vanishing of Eathan Carter are good if you like a fun puzzle.

XCOM 2 and StarCraft 2 are great strategy games.

Skyrim or Fallout 4 plus mods is a rabbit hole of fun.

XCOM 2 is a fantastic game but you might want to wait for another patch.
Darkest Dungeon is fun as well.
Or you might waste your life modding Skyrim and FO4.

Steel

Banned
OP I wouldn't buy more than a few games at a time atm, because a lot of the games listed in this thread will have pretty deep dish discounts during the next major steamsale(including the games I listed).

XCOM 2 will probably be stable in price for awhile, though.

Pejo

Dying Light was pretty fun and a pretty good showcase when your PC can do advanced lighting. It should be pretty affordable by now too.

I'd personally like to suggest Kerbal Space Program. it's not for everyone, but it's something very unique too and I doubt you've played anything like it before being console only. Also Rocket League is free to play this weekend and everyone should try it, it's amazing.

Krabboss

Not to be a rude boy, but shouldn't you have a good idea of what you want to play on PC before spending hundreds of dollars on computer hardware?

Just play Dark Souls 3. It's cool and good. It'll run better on your computer than it would on a console.

pastrami

It would help to know what kind of games you like, or at the very least, what you are interested in trying. There are literally thousands upon thousands of PC games available, especially if you don't mind older games.

tFjYr55.gif

Nzyme32

Far too many to name, but here are a choice selection:

Antichamber
Stardew Valley
Civilization V
Kerbal Space Program
Starcraft 2
Company of Heroes
Xcom 2
Homeworld Collection (space based fun)
Homeworld Desert's of Kharak (ground based fun)
Divinity Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity (is a bit overwhelming for a new person to CRPG, but the easy mode should help you out a bit)

All of these are good starters with the tutorials and stuff / or just the way they are laid out. Tons of other good suggestions or already listed

Top Bottom