• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Finished at 23 hours with 37 percent completion. Must fun I've had in a pure action game in a long time! Bring on the DLC, please. :)

Edit: 23 hours is the save file. Steam says I almost hit 30.

I was looking over my stats last night; 20 hours and only the first 2 agency missions completed :lol, I can't stop 100%ing everything, help me and my OCD GAF :(

Alucrid

Banned
So at first I kinda blew off this game but watching these vids is convincing me to get it. I'm guessing that the PS3 is the preferable option for the recording feature?

Sanic

Alucrid said:
So at first I kinda blew off this game but watching these vids is convincing me to get it. I'm guessing that the PS3 is the preferable option for the recording feature?

Yep, unless you really like the 360 controller.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Damnet. I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything until I finished Mass Effect. But this looks beyond crazy.

:( Too many good games.

UFRA

Duke Togo said:
My contribution to the youtube videos. Pretty boring, but I liked the flowers. :D

Holy shit you can zoom in with the sniper rifle. I feel like such an idiot now.

I beat the story, I'm 42 hours into the game, and just now you made me realize there's zoom.

Also, on another note...if any of you are having trouble getting wrecking ball kills, here's an easy way to do it:

-Go to Panau International Airport.
-Grab a chopper from the airport, the UH-10 Chippewa in the hanger located in the NE corner works great.
-Go to the runway that is paralell with the main airport space, not the one that's on a diagonal.
-Grapple your chopper to an airliner jet that's taking off.
-Stay with it as it falls off the end of the runway and into the water. The pilot (a military soldier) will then bail out and the airliner jet will kill him on impact. Since your helicopter is attached to the jet, it counts as a wrecking ball kill. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBpyj3Ckd18

Just a vid of the aftermath of me doing this 5 times to get the trophy. :D I made a little graveyard of planes.

mujun

At 3 hours in this is shaping up to be my favorite open world game ever, and I love open world games.

Holy shit, I love the way I'm only 3 hours in but I've flown jets, jacked tanks, blown oil rigs up and discovered generals and smoked them with their own crazy death choppers.

This game smokes Saint's 2 and Red Faction for me. So much more you can do and they don't restrict you from the start letting you get your hands on heaps of cool stuff right off the bat.

I was in the back of a jeep blowing shit up with a gun and an ally just jumps in and takes off with me on the back. I'm blowing shit up, guys are chasing us in jeeps, wasn't part of a mission just random shit. We have a bit of a lull in the action and he says, "Let's go find some stuff to blow up!" Too good :lol

I love all the crazy shit popping up on the screen too, killed this many guys, chaos!, 75% complete! It adds to the crazy over the top feel of the game for me.

Bought this game yesterday as well because I could not resist and wait for the first price drop. I'm gload I did buy it. It's so awesome :)

The baseball vid is great :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So these chopper hijacks are becoming more annoying than fun.

- Begin clearing a settlement/military base.
- Watch heat sky rocket.
- Helicopters come in.
- Attempt to hijack helicopter.
- While hijacking, other helicopter/ground troops firing.
- Get in helictoper, helicopter explodes, instant death.

For Just Cause 3 I think there should be some sort of invulnerability window when hijacking helicopters or something.

The PC version should have the ability to spawn any vehicle in the game at any point by the end of the day. You can do it now actually but the mod isn't complete and the guy behind it is now adding screen shots and names for every vehicle so its easy to spawn whatever you want.

This wiki may end up a good repository for information on the latest mods:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X11...facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=915091&page=41

If you're interested in modding the game yourself, this link may prove useful:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=105699

Oh and the next release of BOLO patch is going to include keybindings so no more alt-tabbing! :D

This game is bloody good but mods are just going to make it the ultimate sandbox.

Edit: Ah shit and here it is (the spawn any vehicle mod that is):

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X11...facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=915091&page=45

Credit maxovitsj on the facepunch forums. Testing now. :D

brain_stew said:
The PC version should have the ability to spawn any vehicle in the game at any point by the end of the day. You can do it now actually but the mod isn't complete and the guy behind it is now adding screen shots and names for every vehicle so its easy to spawn whatever you want.

This wiki may end up a good repository for information on the latest mods:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X11...facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=915091&page=41

If you're interested in modding the game yourself, this link may prove useful:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=105699

Oh and the next release of BOLO patch is going to include keybindings so no more alt-tabbing! :D

This game is bloody good but mods are just going to make it the ultimate sandbox.

Woohoo! I love this game so much, really glad the PC version is so fantastic.

mack999

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
No dying, unlimited ammo, free upgrades and everything unlocked sure makes the game more relaxing :)

That's a very loose definition for gaming. All you need now is the bot cheat that plays it for you.

Sanic

I've only completed 2 agency missions :/ I kinda want to just get those done this weekend and stop messing around.

pestul

Can the BOLO mod compromise your steam copy? I was wondering, because if it makes modifications to the .exe file in game, steam could theoretically detect this and shut down your game. Any input on that?

mack said:
That's a very loose definition for gaming. All you need now is the bot cheat that plays it for you.

Who gives a shit!?

The "game" is about doing crazy shit and having fun messing with an awesome sandbox, and a lot of the "game" elements just get in the way of that. If you're having less fun why put up with it when its easily fixed? You can still complete the missions with everything left as stock, you know?

pestul said:
Can the BOLO mod compromise your steam copy? I was wondering, because if it makes modifications to the .exe file in game, steam could theoretically detect this and shut down your game. Any input on that?

No. This is a Steamworks game so every copy requires Steam. Also it wouldn't effect it anyway since it doesn't use VAC (Valve anti cheat), after all, there is no multiplayer.

mack said:

Some people play games for fun. It's up to them how they get enjoyment out of their games.

LovingSteam said:
No. This is a Steamworks game so every copy requires Steam. Also it wouldn't effect it anyway since it doesn't use VAC (Valve anti cheat), after all, there is no multiplayer.

It's basically just a trainer anyway, I don't think there's any issue with them.

pestul said:

When has anything like that ever happened? And what do you even mean by "compromise" anyway? The actual .exe file remains untouched anyway, the changes are only applied temporarily to the process that is actually running.

pestul

Good point, because nothing in the core of the game is changed when you're done playing with the mod anyway. Just making sure.

Pandoracell said:
I've only completed 2 agency missions :/ I kinda want to just get those done this weekend and stop messing around.
You need to acquire a lot of chaos in order for the later agency missions to unlock. Near the end of the agency missions, the unlock bar moves like a micrometer for every massive base completed to 100%.

Another request for a JC2 patch or JC3 - give the amount of chaos needed for unlocking new black market items or missions in numbers as well as the progress bar. You'll see that later on in the game, it's really tough to tell how much more chaos you need to unlock certain things, and the bars don't move evenly (i.e. the black market bar will keep moving at a fairly brisk pace while you'll be banging your head against the controller wondering how many more bases you need to complete before unlocking a new mission).

pestul said:
Good point, because nothing in the core of the game is changed when you're done playing with the mod anyway. Just making sure.

I think the only way it would be an issue is if it unlocked DLC specific stuff. Hopefully no one does that.

DeadGzuz

Banned
brain_stew said:
It works! :D

Just create a folder called dropzone in your Just Cause 2 directory and drop the file in there, couldn't be easier. Here's the link again:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X11...facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=915091&page=45

No pictures yet and a couple of names are screwy but they're coming. Nice to see just how mod friendly Avalanche made the game.

Cool. Any word on a supper jump or low gravity mod? I would love to jump up buildings in a Crackdown way.

Mesijs

OK I have NO IDEA how to do the missions where you have to carry the head of the statue with a heli, the line just snaps all the times. In desperate help!

Mesijs said:
OK I have NO IDEA how to do the missions where you have to carry the head of the statue with a heli, the line just snaps all the times. In desperate help!
You sure you're not detaching the line accidentally? Pressing the line detach button on whatever platform you're playing on is also secondary fire in a vehicle, maybe you're shooting something and detaching it? The grapple is un-breakable as long as it's tethered to something you're piloting / driving, so it shouldn't break.

UFRA

DeadGzuz said:
No dying, unlimited ammo, free upgrades and everything unlocked sure makes the game more relaxing :)

Wait how does this happen? Is that a PC mod or is it possible on consoles?????? DO WANT.

And don't forget to vote on your favorite vids in the OP guys!!

So far only me and a couple others voted I think.

I finally got my copy last night and put about 4-5 hours into it. Really awesome so far... I love the greater focus on verticality. The first game had some pretty cool scenery, but your interaction with it was really limited compared to what you can do now. I love seeing a huge tower on the horizon, flying to it, parachuting to the top, fighting some dudes and tossing them off the building, then basejumping down to ground level.

I know a lot of people are loving the destruction parts, and that's a lot of fun too, but the highlight for me is definitely the ease and sheer craziness of movement through the air.

Ding

UFRA said:
Holy shit you can zoom in with the sniper rifle. I feel like such an idiot now.
You can zoom other guns, too. Well, one other, at least...

I bought the game from Amazon, and thus got the "Bullpup" rifle as my bonus. It seemed "okay", but the scope didn't seem very good. When given the chance, I switched to carrying a regular sniper rifle instead. Then I discovered the zoom controls. So, I switched back to the Bullpup, and yep, it zooms in just as far as the sniper rifle does.

So, the Bullpup acts like a slightly less damaging sniper rifle that shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger, and lets you carry ~200 rounds of ammo. Very nice.

(Will I ever be able to pick up ammo for this gun? Or will I continue to have to buy a $50k gun in order to fill it up again? I'm pretty early in the game, so I'm hoping that I'll eventually start finding ammo crates for it. No?)

UFRA

Ding said:
(Will I ever be able to pick up ammo for this gun? Or will I continue to have to buy a $50k gun in order to fill it up again? I'm pretty early in the game, so I'm hoping that I'll eventually start finding ammo crates for it. No?)

If it's anything like Rico's Signature Gun which I got for pre-ordering, you'll have to buy it every time... it sucks.

Maybe if you're lucky it will let you refill it by finding Assault Rifle crates. Rico's Signature Gun is a revolver style pistol, and it won't even let me refill it by walking over other revolvers...lame.

Is it realistically possible to run out of money? I've been pretty stingy with my purchases from the Black Market guy out of fear that I'll eventually bankrupt myself. I wouldn't mind buying a few more of those mini-jets, though. :D

rohlfinator said:
Is it realistically possible to run out of money? I've been pretty stingy with my purchases from the Black Market guy out of fear that I'll eventually bankrupt myself. I wouldn't mind buying a few more of those mini-jets, though. :D
You can do races to get 20 grand a time. Even ones you've already done.

And HO-LY-SHIT I've just found the Hotair Balloon. I wanted to find it myself but gave in and got the co-ords of the net, and it's so unbelievable. Watching the sunset from a basket at 16000ft is not something I thought I'd be doing in this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OK I'll do my voting thing. Too bad more people didn't submit any to the contest, theres been some good ones in this thread. Hopefully mine get at least one vote.

3 points: Car+Hot Air Balloon+Sky Rise - Ploid 3.0
2 points: Baby Panay Strikes Back - Reetva
1 point: How to not approach a sniper

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
The MTA Powerrun 77 doesn't fit underneath the low bridges.

Not sure if fit
FFFUUU

I was here when it happened (in the mid south), going full pelt and the boat got halfway through but the guns got stuck on the girders. Linked the screenshots as they're on the large side.

Top Bottom