• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

3 points: 12. A boat doing some damage - By Artadius
2 points: 6. The gif of awesome - By Jet1911
1 point: 11. Gonna Hitch A Ride - By Snuggler

Honorary mention to 4. Baby Panay Strikes Back - By reetva, so, so close but great work everyone.

I shall be doing these at home :)

mother fuck. walked into my local gamestop to trade in some games toward just cause 2 on the ps3 (got $55 too! woot!), and was told they had just sold the last one. bad news for me, but good news for the game because where i live, games NEVER sell out. and i mean never!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hopefully that means Just Cause 2 is selling well.
I'm sure it's selling above expectations, I don't think anyone expected it to be this awesome and all the sweet youtube vids and raving are probably getting people interested in it.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeh its quite smart how they intergrated youtube uploads. The game basically markets itself now, all they have to do now is kick back
(release the SDK so we can get fuck awesome mods)
and relax.

I can see it catching on to a lot of other games.

There will almost certainly be a 3rd iteration now.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just had the most awesome moment ever in my 15+ hours with the game so far:

I was on a motorcycle up in the snowy area near one of the very tall bridges. I jumped off a ramp that was near the entrance to the bridge and went sailing out, then plunging down. I rode the motorcycle the whole way, and exploded on contact with the ground.

Now, here's where it gets awesome. My body ragdoll'd through the air, spinning, and then perfectly landed, on his crotch, straddling a tree branch, high up in a tree! Oh man, I'm still laughing, it was so awesome. Wish I could have gotten a video of it.

Man, what did they think with the DLC? I entered the code a few times in GFWL and it did not work. Then I decided to try it at steam and this worked without a problem. But why the hell do they state I have to use the GFWL Marketplace to redeem the DLC code?

Sanic

I just realized that when you go a certain distance away from any kind of rock structure, it changes to a sprite. I never would have even noticed had I sniper-zoomed past one of them. That's impressive.

Yeah, they've done a great job of encouraging word-of-mouth advertising about this game. Between the constant stream of trailers/promos, the awesome demo, and the YouTube upload feature, there's been a ton of talk about the game and it probably didn't cost them too much. Hopefully it's paying off.

Caesar III said:
Man, what did they think with the DLC? I entered the code a few times in GFWL and it did not work. Then I decided to try it at steam and this worked without a problem. But why the hell do they state I have to use the GFWL Marketplace to redeem the DLC code?
I just had to enter the code on the back of the manual when I installed it and it was automatically registered with Steam with the DLC included. I'm surprised you had problems -- where did you buy your copy from?

shermas

95% at the goddamn airport is going to kill me. I've spent 3 hours there and cannot find another government tower/tank/generator or ammo kit, etc to pick up.

This game is not good for people with OCD.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sure you tried this already, but what usually helps me out in those situations is to aquire a whirlybird and fly it around the base, that'll give you a better view of the area.

shermas

^^^ oh yeah. i've even tried both helicopters from the airport, in case the visibility was better in one of them. i'm losing my mind.

Over a week since release and it is currently in the top three on Steam.

shermas said:
95% at the goddamn airport is going to kill me. I've spent 3 hours there and cannot find another government tower/tank/generator or ammo kit, etc to pick up.

This game is not good for people with OCD.

But it's a generator. It's always a generator. Filthy, belly-dragging, boxy, nondescript bastards.

Harteex

shermas said:
^^^ oh yeah. i've even tried both helicopters from the airport, in case the visibility was better in one of them. i'm losing my mind.

Is it the Panau international airport?
The last thing I had left was a propaganda trailer (or was it a statue, hmm) outside the actual airport (outside the front entrance, where the roads and traffic are).

AkuMifune

Banned
Caesar III said:

I just got the limited edition 360 version and my code isn't working atm. Strange.

I'm thinking of playing on hardcore, will it ruin the fun or is it manageable enough if I'm careful?

EL Beefo

AkuMifune said:
I just got the limited edition 360 version and my code isn't working atm. Strange.

I'm thinking of playing on hardcore, will it ruin the fun or is it manageable enough if I'm careful?

Considering many people say that normal nearly becomes to difficult to have fun near the end I would recommend against it. I've been playing on normal and I'm about 2/3 through the game and there are some times where it seems the enemies suddenly have perfect aim and there's more of them than I know what to do with.

On that note, does it seem like the bad guys' aim improves ten fold anytime you're grappling between two points? It seems I can run around for a good while without taking to much damage, but in the half second it takes for me to grapple from the top of one building to the next they can take away nearly half of my life. Same goes for hijacking helicopters, especially when trying to kill the passenger.

CabbageRed said:
But it's a generator. It's always a generator. Filthy, belly-dragging, boxy, nondescript bastards.

Either that or a Transformer, especially the ones that hang between 2 power lines. God, SO ANNOYING.

AkuMifune said:

EL Beefo is right; "normal" gets pretty frustrating near the end, so cranking up the difficulty beyond that may end with you being 14 hours into a game that is too hard to enjoy.

Sanic

AkuMifune said:

Play on normal.

AkuMifune

Banned
Cool, that's good advice. Not being able to drop the difficulty and finding myself deep into it and having trouble doesn't sound like a good plan. Normal it is! Can't wait to get out of work...

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Failed a stronghold at the last wave, i.e. shooting down the stronghold commander's chopper. Tried restarting from the checkpoint a few times and it didn't spawn again. Reloaded from the last autosave at the main menu and it spawned. Killed it this time but his last shot blew my chopper so I had to bail. Landed on the ground, then my chopper landed on me :lol

After that, it wouldn't spawn no matter what I did so I've aborted the mission. Hopefully I can complete it later on.

Anybody else just love using the parachute and grapple swinging around? I just spent like 2 hours doing this taking out water towers with a sniper, then landing on buildings to headshot colonels. So much fun.

And yeah the ps3 version of this game seems to be selling well, I had to go to 4 stores to find it. Bestbuy, target, and walmart were all sold out. :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
MmmSkyscraper said:
Failed a stronghold at the last wave, i.e. shooting down the stronghold commander's chopper. Tried restarting from the checkpoint a few times and it didn't spawn again. Reloaded from the last autosave at the main menu and it spawned. Killed it this time but his last shot blew my chopper so I had to bail. Landed on the ground, then my chopper landed on me :lol

After that, it wouldn't spawn no matter what I did so I've aborted the mission. Hopefully I can complete it later on.

Pro tip, hijack the commanders chopper to eliminate him without any risk of harm.

bathala

Banned
I was just watching Crackdown 2 PAX, and just realized that this game doesn't have multi or co-op.

just shows u don't need co-op or multi for every game. Youtube upload is all I need:D

reetva

Banned
MmmSkyscraper said:

Stay on the ground and rip him up with a detached turret. I works really well. :D

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
Pro tip, hijack the commanders chopper to eliminate him without any risk of harm.

I should have thought of that. Rico, I am disappoint.

reetva said:
Stay on the ground and rip him up with a detached turret. I works really well. :D

I usually do but there's no turret near this one (boourns!), just the chopper.

BRB, hijacking.

Edit: Done. Suck it, Emas Hitam oil refinery!

UFRA

I'm so proud, I 100%'d about 30 locations today. The Desert area is almost all completed. I hit the 50% mark in game completion in mercenary mode.

Does anyone else think the Mercenary Mode text feels really out of place with the rest of the game?

I mean...the game has really sleek, modern looking text and menus, and then there's this big ugly red 3D text popping up all the time to tell you your completion percentage in more detail. It looks like some crappy Microsoft Word WordArt text or something. :lol

Jaroof

UFRA said:
I'm so proud, I 100%'d about 30 locations today. The Desert area is almost all completed. I hit the 50% mark in game completion in mercenary mode.

Does anyone else think the Mercenary Mode text feels really out of place with the rest of the game?

I mean...the game has really sleek, modern looking text and menus, and then there's this big ugly red 3D text popping up all the time to tell you your completion percentage in more detail. It looks like some crappy Microsoft Word WordArt text or something. :lol

You're not alone. I just got to Mercernary Mode tonight, and I thought the same thing :lol
I'm also trying to 100% as much as I can. Playing on Hard doesn't make it too easy...
So I started a new game to mess around on Easy :D

rohlfinator said:
I just had to enter the code on the back of the manual when I installed it and it was automatically registered with Steam with the DLC included. I'm surprised you had problems -- where did you buy your copy from?
the DLC is a separate paper with another code and instructions how to redeem it where they say use GfWL. With Logo and everyting. They don't mention Steam at all.

Bought it at German retail (wanted the game too bad to wait for shipping)
It's the Limited Edition.

Bernbaum

Wow this game is great.

Amazed that I have access to the whole map right from the get-go. Was fucking shit up in a helicopter gunship within the first 30 minutes.

Plot and characters are poo but who gives a shit when the game is just so fun.

There's gotta be a dozen bases that I've got sitting around 95%. Any tips on what the most commonly-missed item boxes/destructible infrastructure is or how I should go about looking for them quickly?

Has anyone been able to jump out of a helicopter and chase it down james bond style and jump back in it while its spinning out of control, in mid air? If you havnt take a heicopter and fly it up as high as possible and try this, it gets pretty crazy crossing paths with a spinning out of control heicopter.

Roche

Outtrigger888 said:
Has anyone been able to jump out of a helicopter and chase it down james bond style and jump back in it while its spinning out of control, in mid air? If you havnt take a heicopter and fly it up as high as possible and try this, it gets pretty crazy crossing paths with a spinning out of control heicopter.

Yeah I did it with the Quadpaw in the demo, I jumped out flew down below it, grappled back into it. Sadly however I could not regain control of it, just kept on spinning out of control 'till it hit the ground below.

bathala said:
I was just watching Crackdown 2 PAX, and just realized that this game doesn't have multi or co-op.

just shows u don't need co-op or multi for every game. Youtube upload is all I need:D

I don't agree. Anything that's not exclusively a singleplayer experience, or doesn't rely on isolation is better with either co-op, multiplayer, or both. I guarantee that if JC2 had co-op it would be praised to no end, and reviews would be in the low nines instead of low-mid eights. Yes, a good co-op experience would've raised the overall scores a full point.

In any case, i understand how difficult it would've been so I don't bother thinking about it while playing. The game is too much fun to dwell on that.

markot said:
Wish it was better optimized on PC.

Controls are kinda bleh.

Say what!?

I can't think of any recent multiplatform game as well optimised as this, the engine is a thing of beauty. What settings are you using and have you tried out my tweak guide yet, a few of the settings aren't worth bothering with on all but the absolute best hardware.

As for the controls, just use a 360 or PS3 pad, I only occasionally use my mouse in shootouts but use my pad for the rest.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brain_stew said:
As for the controls, just use a 360 or PS3 pad, I only occasionally use my mouse in shootouts but use my pad for the rest.

I'm trying the demo out right now and apparently my 360 pad is not working right.

If I push my right stick down to aim up, I'm instantly looking at the sky no matter how little I've pushed it. Seems like it's impossible to play with.

It also seems to switch between KB/M and 360 pad mode constantly. For example, if I'm standing by a car it will say "'E' Enter" but if walk slightly with the left stick it will show "'A' Enter" for the 360 pad. The second I let go of the stick, it reverts back to the keyboard controls. It does the same thing in menus.

Did anyone else have this problem with the demo? I'm on Windows 7 64 btw.

Edit: Just noticed I don't have the problem with the right stick if I am sprinting because holding RB seems to lock the game in 360 pad mode. Really annoying bug. I guess Xpadder will have to do :(

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm trying the demo out right now and apparently my 360 pad is not working right.

If I push my right stick down to aim up, I'm instantly looking at the sky no matter how little I've pushed it. Seems like it's impossible to play with.

It also seems to switch between KB/M and 360 pad mode constantly. For example, if I'm standing by a car it will say "'E' Enter" but if walk slightly with the left stick it will show "'A' Enter" for the 360 pad. The second I let go of the stick, it reverts back to the keyboard controls. It does the same thing in menus.

Did anyone else have this problem with the demo? I'm on Windows 7 64 btw.

Edit: Just noticed I don't have the problem with the right stick if I am sprinting because holding RB seems to lock the game in 360 pad mode. Really annoying bug. I guess Xpadder will have to do :(

Sounds like you're constantly pressing something on your keyboard. Pressing any key on your keyboard will switch it to m/kb mode.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
brain_stew said:
Sounds like you're constantly pressing something on your keyboard. Pressing any key on your keyboard will switch it to m/kb mode.

Come to think of it, there is something wrong with my IME that constantly has something called FBK_KANJI pressed (prevents me from setting controls in GGPO, very annoying) and restarting it usually fixed that. I'll restart my PC and give that a try, thanks a lot in advance if it works :D

zafarsaand

Neo Member
could some one please share save file of just cause 2. i was during a mission and my computer crashed and now i cant load game. it gives me error "invalid save file". i do not want to restart and play same mission all over again.

brain_stew said:
Infinite grapple mod! :D
http://redirectingat.com/?id=629X11...p://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=917761
Credit goes to Polite/Friendly from the facepunch forums.
Just drop the folder into your Just Cause 2 directory, couldn't be simpler.

Seriously people these mods are coming thick and fast and its just a case of editing xml files or replacing textures if you want to give it a go yourself, PC version or bust!

Cheers, Stew!

I take it this means they've found the collision radius? I'd read that collision stops after 3-5km which made a previous infinite grapple mod fail and need a restart if you grappled too far away.

EdwardTivrusky said:
Cheers, Stew!

I take it this means they've found the collision radius? I'd read that collision stops after 3-5km which made a previous infinite grapple mod fail and need a restart if you grappled too far away.

This is about the 6th iteration or something, I haven't tried it yet but it should work much better this time.

Sanic

NIN90

Darklord said:
I haven't had any issue with the controls or the UI.

You do notice the console origins in some instances.
Like when your mouse cursor hovers over a menu option but it doesn't light up unless you leave the area with your cursor and re-enter it. It's most noticeable on the "Yes" button at the "Exit Game?" screen.

Top Bottom