• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

RdN

Finally got around to play the demo.. And I really liked it. Using the graple is a lot of fun. Definately going to get an used copy when I get the chance.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really hate the helis in this game they are so damn slow!

They're not so bad once you get used to dropping or raising your altitude to make speed.
For me, after Bad Company 2, I'm just glad that I can't drive a whirlybird without crashing it within 10 seconds, at least they're driveable. The choppers in GTAIV and The 'Row 2 weren't any better.

Finally got around to play the demo.. And I really liked it. Using the graple is a lot of fun. Definately going to get an used copy when I get the chance.

If you keep an eye out for deals you shouldn't even have to resort to buying a used copy. I got it on the day of release for -15 @ $45 so you should be able to buy new at a decent price sometime soon.

mack999

Banned
CryptiK said:
I really hate the helis in this game they are so damn slow!

The one near the top of the black market list, fully upgraded, is great for the plane challenges. Actually makes those challenges fun.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
mack said:
The one near the top of the black market list, fully upgraded, is great for the plane challenges. Actually makes those challenges fun.

Yea that little whirlybird is awesome when fully upgraded.

I got to play this on the 360 for a couple of hours last night. It looked fantastic so if that was the worst looking version then you cant go wrong no matter which platform you choose. I had already played the demo on pc @ max settings except for vsync so I had a good source of comparison.

One thing I don't understand about this game. Whats the point in clearing airports or military bases or towns? Clearing strongholds at least cleared the area for whatever faction that the mission was for. But clearing anything else seemed to be nothing more then a checkmark on the map. If you land at a cleared airport you will still have to face swarming guards. Clearing areas seems to result in nothing more then different text on the map much like enemy morale being weakened. It's much like FarCry 2 when you clear a checkpoint in that nothing ever really changes.

Also it seemed like guards respawn way way too much. My friend was playing through on hard difficulty so maybe that had something to do with the amount of respawning but it was definitely too many and too often.

Wiggum2007

L0st Id3ntity said:
How many agency missions are there? (spoiler tag it please for people who don't wanna know)

20 Hours in and I've just did the third one. :lol

Starting the mission titled
Into The Den
(doesn't really spoil anything but just in case) will lead to the end of the game, because the next and final Agency mission starts automatically right after it.

I <3 Memes said:
I got to play this on the 360 for a couple of hours last night. It looked fantastic so if that was the worst looking version then you cant go wrong no matter which platform you choose. I had already played the demo on pc @ max settings except for vsync so I had a good source of comparison.

*snipped because i don't know the answer to this paragraph, sorry*

Also it seemed like guards respawn way way too much. My friend was playing through on hard difficulty so maybe that had something to do with the amount of respawning but it was definitely too many and too often.

It's a great game on every platform so the choice really is down to controller preference more than anything else.

Most of us advocate going for casual or normal difficulty at first. They give you the breathing room you need to pull off the crazy stuff. The higher difficulties seem to swamp you from what i've read and are better tackled once you're more familiar with the game.

There's no shame in lowering the difficulty on this title, just go have fun! :)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Abnormalia said:
For me based on

Graphics:

PC >>>>>>>>>>> XBOX >>>> PS3

Controls:

XBOX, PS3 >>> PC

Why would the controls be better on xbox? Pc has the same controller as the xbox with the exact same layout... its not like you have to use the mouse... I use an xbox pad on my pc and its perfect!

edit: Just seen correction... too late ;)

ram

Mechanical Snowman said:
Just curious; what's better graphically about the Xbox version?

you`ll get tearing for free.

speaking of console versions, the ps3 game is the version to go. no tearing and youtube upload are pros.

mack999

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

One thing I don't understand about this game. Whats the point in clearing airports or military bases or towns? Clearing strongholds at least cleared the area for whatever faction that the mission was for. But clearing anything else seemed to be nothing more then a checkmark on the map. If you land at a cleared airport you will still have to face swarming guards. Clearing areas seems to result in nothing more then different text on the map much like enemy morale being weakened. It's much like FarCry 2 when you clear a checkpoint in that nothing ever really changes.

I have about 6 cleared military bases where I extract back to stock up on ammo and a waiting chopper, there's never any enemies there. Whenever I clear a military base with ammo and a chopper I mark it off on my printed out map because my memory is shot, I've never seen anyone there to shoot at me.

Also for 360/PS3 players it will be cheevos. Clear 100 locations 100%, 75% completion etc

JRW

Salacious Crumb said:
Fixed, cause you can use any controller you like on PC.

Yep im using a PS3 controller w/ PC's JC2 and it works perfect, a lot nicer than mouse + keyboard.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Just curious; what's better graphically about the Xbox version?

Both version run very smooth (based on demo) but xbox seemed to have a bit higher resolution and overall it looked a bit nicer to me.

So choosing between two I choose one a liked a bit more, plus I feel more comfortable with xbox controller.

I have to admit last few month I'm using sixaxis 80% of time when playing on consoles.

Too many very good games ! :)

Bear

TimeLike said:
If you upgrade the little black market helicopter to level 6, it's fast as hell. Takes off almost instantly too.

You know, I've never actually used the black market yet. If you buy something there, is it unlocked for the rest of the game or do you need to buy it again if you crash it or something?

ram said:
you`ll get tearing for free.

speaking of console versions, the ps3 game is the version to go. no tearing and youtube upload are pros.

What tearing ? I did not noticed any. I compared all 3 demo version on same HDTV before buy.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Bear said:
You know, I've never actually used the black market yet. If you buy something there, is it unlocked for the rest of the game or do you need to buy it again if you crash it or something?
You can upgrade your weapons specs and buy weapons as well in the black market in the equipement section. Very very useful. And I personally don't enjoy buying vehicles since I am quite talented at crashing them :p

UFRA

Abnormalia said:
What tearing ? I did not noticed any. I compared all 3 demo version on same HDTV before buy.

It's a known fact that the 360 version has screen tearing.

I found your previous comment that the 360 version was ">>>>" better than the PS3 version graphically quite strange, and I wasn't going to say anything.

The 360 version has a locked frame rate at 30FPS, no V-Sync and screen tearing does happen.

The PS3 has an unlocked frame rate averaging 29FPS, V-Sync on and no screen tearing.

The PS3 also has shorter load times due to the install. 15 seconds vs. 11 seconds.

Someone posted this link just a little while ago which compares the two versions: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=18763 They clearly look nearly identical apart from differences in brightness. If you look at the first pic in that article, it even says that in the particular clip about 36% of the frames had tearing on 360.

Pimpbaa

UFRA said:
Someone posted this link just a little while ago which compares the two versions: http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=18763 They clearly look nearly identical apart from differences in brightness. If you look at the first pic in that article, it even says that in the particular clip about 36% of the frames had tearing on 360.

Regarding that article:

In terms of graphics, Just Cause 2 pushes no boundaries and delivers nothing new. So, in short, graphics enthusiasts should look elsewhere for a fix.

Just Cause 2 has its rough patches. Poorly written dialogue along with some horrible voice acting turns this game into a cheesy caper instead of an epic story, but it still pales in comparison to the uninspiring, lifeless graphics.

What a load of bullshit. This is one of the nicer looking games out right now. Bunch of morons.

Another mingblowingly stupid comment.

Although the a majority of the 360’s screen tearing happens in cutscenes, cutscenes are still a big part of any video game experience.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Pimpbaa said:
Regarding that article:

What a load of bullshit. This is one of the nicer looking games out right now. Bunch of morons.

Just as a plane simulator it has the most detailes any plane simulator could ever hope to achieve. Graphics are amazing, to me they feel just as good as crysis... not sure what those reviewers have been smoking but it seems like some strong shit indeed! Or they were playing it on a crippled computer...

Darklord

Banned
Just Cause 2 has its rough patches. Poorly written dialogue along with some horrible voice acting turns this game into a cheesy caper instead of an epic story

Comments like this might as well just say "I don't understand this game.". It's not meant to be a fucking epic story it's meant to be over the top and cheesy with lots of crazy moments and explostions.

UFRA

Pimpbaa said:
Regarding that article:

Another mingblowingly stupid comment.

Yeah by all means I agree. I was just using it as a reference to compare the screenshots. The actual text of the article is pretty stupid.

They obviously went into the game expecting it to take itself seriously and be another Heavy Rain epic story. This shows by the fact that they criticize the VA and story so much.

And yeah, the graphics in JC2 are beautiful. 46 hours into the game, I'm still finding cool areas where I just say to myself outloud "wow..." at the great scenery.

Pimpbaa said:
Regarding that article:
Just Cause 2 has its rough patches. Poorly written dialogue along with some horrible voice acting turns this game into a cheesy caper instead of an epic story, but it still pales in comparison to the uninspiring, lifeless graphics.

Wait, they said the graphics are worse than the story and acting? Am I getting this right?

:lol :lol I don't think I've ever seen a more hilariously backwards comment regarding a game. It's one thing to attack the voice acting and the storyline - blah blah blah, but to have to knowingly lie to try and make the game look worse? Lol.

Anyway, finally hit Merc Mode at about 45%, and since I've completed all the city districts 100% so I'm at about 52%. Not sure whether to carry on or start a new save on easy, purely for free roam.

Wiggum2007

I like how the game is made by a Swedish company and the only Swedish character in the game is an incompetent drunk. :lol

Also, they totally should have used the cover of the "Regime Change" book as the cover to the game manual.

Abnormalia said:
For me based on

Graphics:

PC >>>>>>>>>>> XBOX >>>> PS3

Controls:

XBOX, PS3 >>> PC

I think you'll find the PC version has the best controls. You can use any controller you like and/or a kb/m setup and switch as necessary.

As for graphics its more like PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS3=360

The 360 has a better framerate but tears and has nastier shadows.

Sanic

People are saying this game looks bad? :lol

Sure, when you git into the gritty details, at least on the console versions, there are some shortcomings, but still: :lol

Anyway for me PS3 was a bit more blurrier and again did not noticed any tearing there. It runs a bit lower resolution on PS3 right ?

I install all games on HDD anyway so load times no much difference as well.

I assume it's not much difference, engine is very well scaled along all platforms not much difference except on PC + nVidia card.

Dennis

Banned
brain_stew said:
I think you'll find the PC version has the best controls. You can use any controller you like and/or a kb/m setup and switch as necessary.

As for graphics its more like PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS3=360

The 360 has a better framerate but tears and has nastier shadows.
Yup. The Xbox 360 controller for PC works like a charm for me, and the graphics are of course much better on PC.

Very nicely performing visuals for what you get, too.
Some pretty shitty textures in places, unfortunately.

yeah I can use XBOX controller on PC.

I find (at least for me) gameplay is more intense with pad rather than mouse+keyboard for this particular game.

Abnormalia said:
Anyway for me PS3 was a bit more blurrier and again did not noticed any tearing there. It runs a bit lower resolution on PS3 right ?

I assume it's not much difference, engine is very well scaled along all platforms not much difference except on PC + nVidia card.

No, both are 720p

The nvidia effects aren't what set apart the PC version apart, the SSAO, vastly reduced popin, high resolution dynamic shadows, much better texture filtering and increased resolution/framerate have a much bigger impact.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Abnormalia said:

The PS3 version is blurrier because it uses QAA.

Top Bottom