• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

I've spent way more time playing this game than I anticipated. There's just so much of it. Always something to do, some goal or location to reach, objects to blow up, jumbo jets to stand on, things to tie together. It never ends.

And oh god how did this limo end up here, I'm not good with game.

M.J. Doja

Banned
so ive been using mouse and keyboard for precision's sake, but it gets a little bit laborious during travel time, i kinda wanna lay back and coast instead of hunch over my KB.

i'm contemplating just using the controller but then i wouldnt be as deft with my grappling :(

mack999

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
Wait, they said the graphics are worse than the story and acting? Am I getting this right?

:lol :lol I don't think I've ever seen a more hilariously backwards comment regarding a game. It's one thing to attack the voice acting and the storyline - blah blah blah, but to have to knowingly lie to try and make the game look worse? Lol.

Obviously teenagers whose first taste of gaming was a PS2. The game is mindblowing for anyone who grew up in 8 bit/16 bit era, fuck it's mind blowing for anyone.

Graphic whores. Good graphics = good game, nothing else. Lens-of-tossers.

Prezhulio

ok wtf is going on. i finally break down and install 3.21 against my wishes, play some bc2 and then come back to just cause 2: all my save games are fucked up, no sound and no right stick. start a new game no voices and no right stick. deleted the install, nothing changes. i've heard about this happening somewhere, but i can't remember if they said there was a way to fix it, anybody have this happen?

Prezhulio said:
ok wtf is going on. i finally break down and install 3.21 against my wishes, play some bc2 and then come back to just cause 2: all my save games are fucked up, no sound and no right stick. start a new game no voices and no right stick. deleted the install, nothing changes. i've heard about this happening somewhere, but i can't remember if they said there was a way to fix it, anybody have this happen?
Seems like it has reset your settings to 0. Go into Settings > Control Settings, and if your sensitivity is at 0 then you need to change all your settings to default.

Your Voice settings are probably at 0 volume too.

Sanic

Prezhulio said:

Have you checked the options menu? Some settings were messed up there for someone else, but I don't remember what exactley was wrong and I don't remember off the top of my head if any settings in the options would apply to your problem.

Prezhulio

Pandoracell said:
Have you checked the options menu? Some settings were messed up there for someone else, but I don't remember what exactley was wrong and I don't remember off the top of my head if any settings in the options would apply to your problem.

phew yeah, thanks both of you. really weird that literally everything went to 0, but problem solved.

21 hours
20 % Total Completion
61 100% Locations
95 Locations found
Just finished White Tiger (which is the 3rd Agency mission I believe)
11 Faction missions done

WTF Just Cause 2? Not cool. I have Infamous, and Ratchet: ACIT coming this week, and Splinter Cell in 2 weeks. This does not bode well for those games. I played today in an effort to get some real work done and spent like 1 h 45 min on a huge military base in the snow mountains. :|

This game is huge.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Net_Wrecker said:
21 hours
20 % Total Completion
61 100% Locations
95 Locations found
Just finished White Tiger (which is the 3rd Agency mission I believe)
11 Faction missions done

WTF Just Cause 2? Not cool. I have Infamous, and Ratchet: ACIT coming this week, and Splinter Cell in 2 weeks. This does not bode well for those games. I played today in an effort to get some real work done and spent like 1 h 45 min on a huge military base in the snow mountains. :|

This game is huge.

This is the kind of game you always come back ... like crysis, demon souls and sf4, can't see the day I wont be coming back to it from time to time ;)!

UFRA

ezekial45 said:
Just went to The Island. Is there anything else to do there? Besides the upgrade crates.

You mean the LOST island? As far as I know there's only upgrade crates to collect. There's also a faction mission that leads you there but I won't spoil that.

I wish it was a location that could be discovered so you didn't have to fly/boat there every time, but no biggie I guess.

mujun

Why the hell does the armor upgrade seem to give you next to no health? I've tried to catch the bar lengthening a couple of times now and must keep missing it because it looks the same length even after leveling up :(

UFRA

mujun said:
Why the hell does the armor upgrade seem to give you next to no health? I've tried to catch the bar lengthening a couple of times now and must keep missing it because it looks the same length even after leveling up :(

It definitely does go up. I felt the same way as you at first, but 53% into the game now not only have I noticed the bar increase when I got 5 armor parts once, but I also notice that nearly half of the perimeter of the mini-map is now my health bar. At the start of the game it was more like a quarter of the perimeter.

ElyrionX

TimeLike said:
If you upgrade the little black market helicopter to level 6, it's fast as hell. Takes off almost instantly too.

Is the black market the only way to access that one? I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere else in the game.

UFRA

ElyrionX said:
Is the black market the only way to access that one? I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere else in the game.

The Rowlinson K22 I think it's called is pretty much all over the place. Many of them on rooftops in Panau City, and some scattered in random locations elsewhere.

Even the Havoc attack chopper in the black market is available other ways. Usually the military will sent one to attack you at a certain heat level.

Wag

I think I will be playing this game forever. Seriously. I can easily see myself getting a year or more or so out of this without cheating.

Just wanted to sing the praises of this title and share my stats. Over 40 hours in, and I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm lovin' it!

IMG_0157.jpg

mujun

UFRA said:
It definitely does go up. I felt the same way as you at first, but 53% into the game now not only have I noticed the bar increase when I got 5 armor parts once, but I also notice that nearly half of the perimeter of the mini-map is now my health bar. At the start of the game it was more like a quarter of the perimeter.

Thanks. They really need to give you more health and ammo!

Le-mo

I got the game as a present today and played it for like 15 minutes, but HOLY SHIT is it fun. Loved it. Will play the hell out of it after I finish Final Fantasy XIII and Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty.

Nitemare1

I'm flying around trying to discover all the locations and I'm missing two! argggg!. Even with the map with only undiscovered settlements turned on I can see them. Anyone run into a similar problem?

Bernbaum

So should I be favouring any one faction, or can just help out whoever I like? Been doing missions for all three thus far, and the map is a hodge-podge of blue red and yellow.

About 20 hours in and am beginning to get sick of helicopters- they'e just too darn effective to make me want to spice it up with other strategies. Amazed at how many locales there are, but a vast number of them are cookie-cutter 'Base with antenna, communications tower, generator, and an upgrade box'.

Still fun though, I just doubt that I could be fucked 100% the thing.

pestul

You guys feel bad, I haven't even done anything in the game yet.. I just scoot around and destroy shit. I haven't even started missions or anything. I just like to explore. :/

Sanic

pestul said:
You guys feel bad, I haven't even done anything in the game yet.. I just scoot around and destroy shit. I haven't even started missions or anything. I just like to explore. :/

There's nothing wrong with that! You're still progressing throug the game, percentage-wise.

GeoramA

Just reached 50% completion and I beat all the Agency missions.

38 hours in and I'm only half done. This game is pure sandbox lust.

Wiggum2007

Bernbaum said:
So should I be favouring any one faction, or can just help out whoever I like? Been doing missions for all three thus far, and the map is a hodge-podge of blue red and yellow.

Nope no reason to stick with just one faction, progressing with one faction has no bearing on other factions.

Killer

Banned
I tried the demo earlier. So much fun fooling around the island but i think this game needs MORE destructible environment(building,towers,etc).other than that, i'm having a good time with it:D .

After 15-ish hours I still haven't spent a single vehicle upgrade. Just seems like a waste. Why would I want to pay for an ATV or car and get stuck on mountains and trees when I can just sail away over all that for free? The helicopter is so weak (can't lift cars or no nothing) and unarmed. The plane is good for when you want to go somewhere unexplored, far far away though. Other than that it's just a waste.

Maybe once I've unlocked the things with weapons on them I'll find black market vehicles more beneficial. So I'm saving up my upgrades for those. Hopefully they won't be as pricey as the hovercraft.

And I'll reiterate what I and many others have been saying for ages; this game needs a Keys to the City mode/trainer. Infinite grapple, multigrapple, spawning stuff, god mode etc. All that. You could make a gas balloon out o...I really wish my PC wasn't being impossible because you will eventually be able to do all kinds of stupid nonsense in the PC version. Maybe find a way to control the trajecto...the possibilities are potentially endless.

Danneee

Does 100%ing a place give you anything special? I haven't done it yet as I can't be bothered to stay in one place long enough.

VibratingDonkey said:
After 15-ish hours I still haven't spent a single vehicle upgrade. Just seems like a waste. Why would I want to pay for an ATV or car and get stuck on mountains and trees when I can just sail away over all that for free? The helicopter is so weak (can't lift cars or no nothing) and unarmed. The plane is good for when you want to go somewhere unexplored, far far away though. Other than that it's just a waste.

Maybe once I've unlocked the things with weapons on them I'll find black market vehicles more beneficial. So I'm saving up my upgrades for those. Hopefully they won't be as pricey as the hovercraft.
Upgrading vehicles has the value for money shoot up ten-fold. If you upgrade the tiny chopper you first unlock, it can fly almost as fast as the crappy little stunt plane, and it also becomes armed with twin machine guns.

Same with all of the cars, upgrading them fully equips them with machine guns and rocket launchers

Danneee said:
Does 100%ing a place give you anything special? I haven't done it yet as I can't be bothered to stay in one place long enough.
Only a couple thousand dollars and some Chaos, (and % of course) depending on the size of the place. Either way it's not much.

fonq0z.png

:(

I have just been non stop playing this game and listening to the Ricky Gervais podcasts and radio. Truly a gaming experience I will never forget

EDIT:
Only a couple thousand dollars and some Chaos, (and % of course) depending on the size of the place. Either way it's not much.
It also removes all military presence in that town/base.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Upgrading vehicles has the value for money shoot up ten-fold. If you upgrade the tiny chopper you first unlock, it can fly almost as fast as the crappy little stunt plane, and it also becomes armed with twin machine guns.

Same with all of the cars, upgrading them fully equips them with machine guns and rocket launchers
This changes everything.

VibratingDonkey said:
This changes everything.
Sarcasm? Anyway, I find the vehicles to be more for leisure than practicality, you're right that you're not going to buy a $50000 car just to get somewhere when you can extract, para-sail, or just steal a car to get there. When you're at the top of a mountain though, it would be a crime not to buy that little dirt bike or another car and just bomb off the top of it. Or when you feel like taking down a military base with no effort, using the upgraded Hedge or the Tank is just more fun than doing it with grenades.

Plus, you can do races that you've already completed any number of times you want and still receive the $20000 reward, so money is disposable.

Darklord

Banned
Upgrading vehicles gives them weapons? God damn, I didn't know this.

I came across the supposed list of DLC this game will be getting. Man, what a let down. It's just junk. I was hoping they'd add some really cool and crazy things in.

Filldough

So on the Just Cause 2 stats website there are people who have gotten 6,000+ base jumps?! Where or how is this possible? Most I've gotten was 1,000+ off the mile high bar/club. This game reminds me of the first time I played GTA3. Can't be bothered with missions when there is so much fun random shit to do.

ezekial45

Banned
I feel like i'm going through the game too quickly. I'm at 10 hours (with 20% completion) and i'm already on the last two agency missions.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You may all remember me from such classic glitches as "Where's My Arm (demo cut)" and "Oh, you didn't want your Y-Axis set to 0?," so I leave the Just Cause 2 thread with another godawful glitch from this wonderful game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qN_xaBphA

Unfortunately, the arm didn't actually detach as I previously guessed, so much as it disappeared. Ah well.

Darklord said:
Upgrading vehicles gives them weapons? God damn, I didn't know this.

I came across the supposed list of DLC this game will be getting. Man, what a let down. It's just junk. I was hoping they'd add some really cool and crazy things in.
15x476f.jpg

Filldough said:
So on the Just Cause 2 stats website there are people who have gotten 6,000+ base jumps?! Where or how is this possible? Most I've gotten was 1,000+ off the mile high bar/club. This game reminds me of the first time I played GTA3. Can't be bothered with missions when there is so much fun random shit to do.
I'm not too sure how it calculates the base jump, or whether your jump counts or not... I tried doing one off the Hotair Balloon but it must have known I was cheating. There might be a way to fool it into thinking it's a base jump when it's a sky dive.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
ezekial45 said:
I feel like i'm going through the game too quickly. I'm at 10 hours (with 20% completion) and i'm already on the last two agency missions.

Lol really? I played over 15 hours and only done like 4 missions in all... the game is all about roaming. To me the missions are a side dish not the main plate ;)!

Pimpbaa

ezekial45 said:

Start doing all the faction missions and getting 100% on all the villages and military bases.

Mechanical Snowman said:

Aside from the chopper, upgrading and constantly purchasing the vehicles is a waste IMO, especially considering you have to use that money to repurchase the whole gun if you need ammo. And God forbid you decide to use a DLC gun, or Rocket Launcher which no one else in the game is using.

The Black Market is in need of tuning. The vehicles should've been free, and on a "redeliver timer" so that you couldn't spam buying the chopper every time a SAM takes you out. Buying the INITIAL weapon should cost money, then there should be a MUCH cheaper "Ammo Drop" option that lets you refill all of your ammo, and a "Explosives Drop" for your grenades and triggered explosives. As it is now, I just steal Attack Choppers from nearby military bases, and save my money. I've never even bothered to upgrade the majority of Black Market Vehicles.

Top Bottom