• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Net_Wrecker said:
Aside from the chopper, upgrading and constantly purchasing the vehicles is a waste IMO, especially considering you have to use that money to repurchase the whole gun if you need ammo. And God forbid you decide to use a DLC gun, or Rocket Launcher which no one else in the game is using.

The Black Market is in need of tuning. The vehicle should've been free, and on a "redeliver timer" so that you couldn't spam buying the chopper every time a SAM takes you out. Buying the INITIAL weapon should cost money, then there should be a MUCH cheaper "Ammo Drop" option that lets you refill all of your ammo, and a "Explosives Drop" for your grenades and triggered explosives. As it is now, I just steal Attack Choppers from nearby military bases, and save my money. I've never even bothered to upgrade the majority of Black Market Vehicles.

Thinking of getting some of the mods that make the blackmarket free, makes more sense to me ... just seems pointless paying 50 000 for a vehicule you'll scrap in the next 5 min or leave it when you reach your goal.

UFRA said:
What did you think all of these "vehicle parts" were that you collect as you roam around?? :lol
To be fair, "BADASS Machine gun and Rocket Launcher Turret" isn't listed under the stats so you'd only know if you upgraded in the first place.

Net_Wrecker said:
Aside from the chopper, upgrading and constantly purchasing the vehicles is a waste IMO, especially considering you have to use that money to repurchase the whole gun if you need ammo. And God forbid you decide to use a DLC gun, or Rocket Launcher which no one else in the game is using.

The Black Market is in need of tuning. The vehicle should've been free, and on a "redeliver timer" so that you couldn't spam buying the chopper every time a SAM takes you out. Buying the INITIAL weapon should cost money, then there should be a MUCH cheaper "Ammo Drop" option that lets you refill all of your ammo, and a "Explosives Drop" for your grenades and triggered explosives. As it is now, I just steal Attack Choppers from nearby military bases, and save my money. I've never even bothered to upgrade the majority of Black Market Vehicles.
I agree for the most part, but if you never spend your money you end up with about 2+ million by the time you've finished the story line, and by then you'll realise how much easier and more fun the game would have been if you'd just shelled out on some kickass guns for a mission or bought some random cars to drive around in the mountains. Money is in unlimited supply, so why not just treat yourself to rare weapons like a Machine gun or Revolver every now and then instead of waiting ages for an enemy to drop them?

Sanic

RSTEIN said:
yeah, I didn't know that you get weapons on 'em!

Same here for awhile. It would have certainly motivated me to be more aggressive in getting the parts had I known that.

Dave1988

Phew! Hardcore mode rushed by (12 hours). Now I can chill out playing the game on Normal
:lol

Oh, and a big WTF @ all trophy icons for JC2 being a stock trophy icon :(

Mechanical Snowman said:
I agree for the most part, but if you never spend your money you end up with about 2+ million by the time you've finished the story line, and by then you'll realise how much easier and more fun the game would have been if you'd just shelled out on some kickass guns for a mission or bought some random cars to drive around in the mountains. Money is in unlimited supply, so why not just treat yourself to rare weapons like a Machine gun or Revolver every now and then instead of waiting ages for an enemy to drop them?

As of now, I roll with the default pistol and the sub machine gun which are found everywhere. My two hand weapon is the Sniper which is VERY useful when sneaking up to a Colonel to assassinate him and keep it moving. Even WITH those seemingly common weapons, I still find myself running out of ammo sometimes. It would be nice to "treat" myself with the DLC Assault Rifle I have, or the Revolver, or the Rockets, or anything else, but when doing multiple bases at a time they would become a hassle to deal with, especially when the military upgrades.

It seems like they expected you to rely on the grappling hook a bit too much in combat. This type of Black Market system should not be paired with infinitely respawning bullet soaking soldiers. This would've worked well in a GTA game, but not here.

UFRA

Dave1988 said:
Phew! Hardcore mode rushed by (12 hours). Now I can chill out playing the game on Normal
:lol

Oh, and a big WTF @ all trophy icons for JC2 being a stock trophy icon :(

NO KIDDING.

These are easily the crappiest trophies I've ever seen. It's strange too, because they obviously put so much effort into this game to making it as awesome as it could be, and then they just half-assed the trophy images.

I honestly believe that the platinum trophy for this game is going to be the same image as all the others. :lol :lol

Dave1988

UFRA said:
NO KIDDING.

These are easily the crappiest trophies I've ever seen. It's strange too, because they obviously put so much effort into this game to making it as awesome as it could be, and then they just half-assed the trophy images.

I honestly believe that the platinum trophy for this game is going to be the same image as all the others. :lol :lol

The funny thing is that achievements have different icons for each one.

UFRA

Hey guys here's a set of easter egg videos compiled into one article. Including the bubble gun location and other fun things. :D

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/04/01/just-cause-2-easter-eggs/

The funny part about this is, the Billboard Vandalism video in their top 10 easter eggs is my video, and I just causally posted it on YouTube one night thinking it was cool, but no one would care about it. It's spread all over the net like crazy for such a simple thing. For some reason, like 5 different German websites put it in their articles too. Weird. :lol

R2D4

Banned
How do you get the black market to work. On the bottom of the screen it says to hit Y for black market but when I do nothing happens.

Wag

R2D4 said:
How do you get the black market to work. On the bottom of the screen it says to hit Y for black market but when I do nothing happens.
Point at an empty space on the ground, roof, etc.

On the PC you aim at a patch of ground a bit in front of you and press '4' for the beacon. If it's not a good spot a crossed circle appears and you have to move about a bit but if it's a good location ( big enough clear area for a drop? ) then a message pops up saying to press 'E' to call the Black Market.

I imagine it's the same on consoles but with different buttons.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
FuttBuck said:
I was doing faction missions and I was flying to my next one when something made me stop and go WTF....

Click me :D
:lol Nice. One time I was driving through a small village and this guy whizzes past me going like 100km/h and drives straight into a generator. This guy was on a suicide mission. So of course the army dudes think I did it (I got the chaos points, too) and they start attacking me :lol

RSTEIN said:
:lol Nice. One time I was driving through a small village and this guy whizzes past me going like 100km/h and drives straight into a generator. This guy was on a suicide mission. So of course the army dudes think I did it (I got the chaos points, too) and they start attacking me :lol

:lol :lol

I didn't have it recorded but after that plane, as I approached the end of the bridge another plane flew into the bridge too, :lol

bloodforge said:
Anyone else get a preorder item without preordering? I bought my copy at Wal-Mart yesterday and it has the hovercraft.
I thought they would email codes out when you put in your preorder, but my copy just had a Steam key that was already preloaded with the preorder item. I guess if they had leftover stock from the initial run you could have gotten one of those.

Raiden

Banned
Just ordered this from Amazone, it looks waaay too much fun, and more the the type of crackdown fun, than the gta kind of fun. And i prefer the crackdown way :p

DemonNite

I saw a thread on the official forums where the OP had a challenge for everyone to make a certain jump and survive (normal civilian vehicles - no special black market cars, upgraded cars, planes etc...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmeU5f9HOM

its already been completed but does anyone know of any other awesome jumps in the game? or maybe just some other crazy challenge we can do here and then post the hilarious results :D

Sanic

DemonNite said:
I saw a thread on the official forums where the OP had a challenge for everyone to make a certain jump and survive (normal civilian vehicles - no special black market cars, upgraded cars, planes etc...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmeU5f9HOM

its already been completed but does anyone know of any other awesome jumps in the game? or maybe just some other crazy challenge we can do here and then post the hilarious results :D

That's an interesting idea, though I don't know any good locations myself.

Denzar

I'm starting to get frustrated by minor things.

You die WAY too fast (even on normal). In a game like this I want to be able to take shitloads of bullets. I want to be a tank.

The army/police is an annoyance when you try to do random stuff.

The grappling hook sometimes does not attach to things when it should (while using the parachute).

All are minor gripes but I've encountered them so often by now that it pisses me off.

Mechanical Snowman said:
I'm not too sure how it calculates the base jump, or whether your jump counts or not... I tried doing one off the Hotair Balloon but it must have known I was cheating. There might be a way to fool it into thinking it's a base jump when it's a sky dive.

I was confused at first, but for the base jump to be calculated you have to actually touch land at the end. If you fall into the water, technically that's not a base jump. Either way, I have no idea how someone could get 6,000+.

shermas

Deepack said:

You die WAY too fast (even on normal). In a game like this I want to be able to take shitloads of bullets. I want to be a tank.

The grappling hook sometimes does not attach to things when it should (while using the parachute).

All are minor gripes but I've encountered them so often by now that it pisses me off.

yeah, the heat level gets pretty annoying. if i'm out in the middle of nowhere, clearing out a small village, i HATE having to deal with choppers because i blew up one water tank. the cops show up, i kill them, heat goes up, etc, etc... next thing you know i'm running from boats and choppers.

the 'reel in' feature on the hook can be touchy, as well.

love the game, though.

i almost passed on it because i didn't really like the demo... but i love this game.

ElyrionX

Deepack said:

Yep, you die too fast in this game. I kind of regret not starting on the lowest difficulty.

ElyrionX said:
Yep, you die too fast in this game. I kind of regret not starting on the lowest difficulty.
I'm glad I did. Even on casual though there are times where I'm just trying to 100% a military base or something and just get overwhelmed by tons of dudes.

FuttBuck said:
I was doing faction missions and I was flying to my next one when something made me stop and go WTF....

Haha awesome (wish the 360 version had Youtube support)

FuttBuck said:

:lol I've got 2 videos of this happening, I think both of ours are on the same bridge as well so it's probably just an AI flight path that goes right through the bridge support thing.

First time I saw it I was doing a plane race, and I just KNEW it was going to hit the bridge, it just felt right.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVctDFxUNVc

Klocker

ElyrionX said:

yea... Normal can be frustrating. I started on the one above normal and glad I restarted early on normal but man if i knew then what I know now, casual would be fine.

some bases are fine but it seems where the colonels are or certain areas, they are tougher than normal.

that said, after writing this game off pre-release as arcade-y, repetitive... I have found it to be the most fun sandbox game EVER.

JWong

Banned
Is there an easier way to find the upgrade boxes?

I had no problem in the smaller places, but Panau City docks and the island harbor base... omg they are huge!

JWong said:
Is there an easier way to find the upgrade boxes?

I had no problem in the smaller places, but Panau City docks and the island harbor base... omg they are huge!
You're using the proximity indicator right?

Most of the boxes in the city areas are on top of those (orange?) double billboards with the lights over the side, so when you see the indicator flashing look around for them. Also, the draw distance is pretty crazy, so you could climb a relatively tall building and look round for anything flashing white.

You should have unlocked the small helicopter by now, so if you upgrade that to 6 stars it becomes extremely fast and nimble - using that to comb the city is really effective since there's a lot of rooftops to land on if you spot a collectable, else just para-sail around the area.

If you're looking mainly for upgrade boxes, you should navigate pretty much exclusively with the indicator, this way as soon as it appears you can start scoping the area for one.

Might be a non-issue to most, but I though I'd share anyway since it may be helpful:

I accepted a faction mission but did not engage in it right away. I got sidetracked and started looting some previously undiscovered locations.

After much pillaging, I engaged in the faction mission and died whilst attempting it. Once the game reloaded, it did not reflect all the looting I'd done. In other words, it did not save all the looting that I did while the faction mission was pending.

When the game reloaded, i did a little more looting, then proceeded to the pending mission. This time I manually saved. I died again; and again, the looting did not save...despite the fact that I manually saved. I realized that the manual save only saved to the start of the faction mission.

I don't know whether it was an anomaly, but if you accept a mission, best to stick to it; otherwise you'll get pwnd like I was.

I lost like an hour's worth of grinding:
pwnd.jpg

Filldough

MortalMonkey said:
Might be a non-issue to most, but I though I'd share anyway since it may be helpful:

I accepted a faction mission but did not engage in it right away. I got sidetracked and started looting some previously undiscovered locations.

After much pillaging, I engaged in the faction mission and died whilst attempting it. Once the game reloaded, it did not reflect all the looting I'd done. In other words, it did not save all the looting that I did while the faction mission was pending.

When the game reloaded, i did a little more looting, then proceeded to the pending mission. This time I manually saved. I died again; and again, the looting did not save...despite the fact that I manually saved. I realized that the manual save only saved to the start of the faction mission.

I don't know whether it was an anomaly, but if you accept a mission, best to stick to it; otherwise you'll get pwnd like I was.

I lost like an hour's worth of grinding:
pwnd.jpg

I've noticed this as well, it seems to just reset anything that happened between the start of the mission and where you die. Just abort the mission, do your collectathon/grind and save, all should be well.

Sanic

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I was confused at first, but for the base jump to be calculated you have to actually touch land at the end. If you fall into the water, technically that's not a base jump. Either way, I have no idea how someone could get 6,000+.

I would imagine you take two planes up in the air, jump out of one, land on the other, then jump off and freefall?

EzLink

Banned
Does there happen to be any current or upcoming deals for this game?

Just started reading about it earlier, sounds incredible. But I'm really tight on cash for the next couple months

EDIT: Hmm, on second thought, I have a few days off coming up here. Would I be able to experience most of what this game has to offer on a rental?

UFRA

Pandoracell said:
I would imagine you take two planes up in the air, jump out of one, land on the other, then jump off and freefall?

I found this video today which pretty much shows how you can glitch the game to count a "base jump" even though it's clearly not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTu64gp3UI&NR=1 (skip to the :35 sec mark to get right to the point lol)

Also, as far as I know you don't need to touch land at the end. I notice when I do base jumps, the moment I open my parachute, the little stats in the top left by the map go like this:

Fall height 50m
Fall height 100m
*I open chute*
Base jump: 123m

So unless I'm mistaken, it has recorded my jump as 123m at this point prior to me even touching land, water, etc.

Edit: Also, I assume the method in the video is how people get 5,000+m base jumps. Simply taking an airliner jet to max altitude, then hop on the roof, parachute off, cut your chute and then fall. In that video, the guy jumped on the AI controlled jet from the ground. He never drove it, so maybe that's why it counted as a base jump. Whereas, if you drive a vehicle and then hop on the roof and jump off it doesn't count since the game recognizes you as the driver or something...I don't know, I'm going to experiment with this later tonight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EDIT: Hmm, on second thought, I have a few days off coming up here. Would I be able to experience most of what this game has to offer on a rental?

Renting would be better than not playing it at all, but it has a lot of missions and upgrading to do as well as potentially dozens of hours worth of random fun. The game is awesome, I'd recommend a buy but maybe you could rent it to see if you like it and if you do pick it up when it goes on sale.

micster

I cleared quite a few settlements earlier on, but it confuses me. Theres some places which are really hard to clear because of how big they are and how its hard to find some things. But I finished two places today where all you needed to do was collect one crate. I dont get why they made some of them so offensively easy

UFRA

micster said:
I cleared quite a few settlements earlier on, but it confuses me. Theres some places which are really hard to clear because of how big they are and how its hard to find some things. But I finished two places today where all you needed to do was collect one crate. I dont get why they made some of them so offensively easy

Well it's simply the size of the settlement, that's all.

I mean, it wouldn't exactly make sense to have a settlement that consists of 3 houses to have as many collectables and government destructible objects as say Panau City.

OneLetter

micster said:

When I was doing that, I would constantly get places to a percentage where I knew I was missing one destruction object, and I could never find it. So I went back and just started running around aiming my crosshairs around until I saw red appear. Finally, I stumbled upon the generators, which are generally on the side of a house and don't really look as obvious as the other targets.

That was all I needed, and proceeded to go back to about 10 of the settlements and all of them had a generator sitting on the telephone poles and I could now complete it. Made me feel so dumb for always missing that.

Also, I think I'm done doing actual tasks in the game at this point. Just going to stick to doing stunts and trying to record some ridiculous actions.

- 50% complete
- 32 hours played
- 146 settlements @ 100%
- 300+ settlements explored
- 1,000,000+ Chaos points

micster

UFRA said:
Well it's simply the size of the settlement, that's all.

I mean, it wouldn't exactly make sense to have a settlement that consists of 3 houses to have as many collectables and government destructible objects as say Panau City.
Aye thats true but im sure one of the places was a small port type place and it only had one crate for completion. I found it a tad odd, is all

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
EzLink said:
Does there happen to be any current or upcoming deals for this game?

Just started reading about it earlier, sounds incredible. But I'm really tight on cash for the next couple months

Nah this is the type of game you always come back... there are games you finish and shelve and never look back, this one will be kept in my rotation for a long time to come!

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

If the hot air balloon goes that high, jumping off that counts as a base jump.

Top Bottom