• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

KAP151

TheVampire said:
Guys I need some help getting into this game.

The gameplay is fun and the graphics nice but im having issues with destorying places 100%. I find that ill turn up at a settlement or a base and with the goal of destroying everything but ive got shitall ammo, guns and explosives.

Should I be doing the main missions first to make cash and then upgrade my weapons?

Whats the best way?

Do stronghold missions, the Ular Boys first one gives you access to ammo, grenades and a Chopper (not attack, but it will do). Once you have the chopper, find yourself a base with a spawnable Attack Chopper and your set. Let it do all the work for you.

Harteex

DaCocoBrova said:
So, from a performance standpoint (excluding PC)... PS3 or 360?

They're mostly the same.
I remember some comparison site saying that the 360 has slighly higher framerate, like 30 fps instead of 29 on average, but has some slight frame tearing.
Also, the 360 has motion blur.

Vexidus

Finally picked this game up for PS3 after videos and friend testimonies pushed me over the edge. So much fun! The world is huge and there are always tons of options. Even enjoying the exploration aspect. Flying around in a helicopter is awesome!

I was going around collecting skulls when something horrible happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeuKSjWmpEE

This must be a hell of a game as it usually doesn't take me this long to find used copies at a decent price. Maybe that is a testament to the size of the game though. Anyway my copy should be here today and I will be posting impressions, hilarious moments, and videos soon.

web01

So I just noticed the trees are 2D, game uses the same trick DOOM used with dead bodies making it so they always face you.

web01 said:
So I just noticed the trees are 2D, game uses the same trick DOOM used with dead bodies making it so they always face you.
Yeah a lot of games still do this. In JC2 I've only caught it when I was up in a heli, and the trees near the bottom of the screen would kind of 'flip.'

Dave1988

web01 said:

So that's why they're rotating every time I fly past them.

I guess the first DLC will hit tomorrow. I wonder if it'll be only one pack or more.

Danneee

web01 said:

The speedtree tech is using 2d for foliage, I think most modern games use this tech for trees.

Sanic

Dave1988 said:
The DLC item appears to be a parachute pallete swap

RageFace.png

But wait, not available in the US it seems?

Double edit: It's coming tommorow? And it's a truck? That FirstPlay thing is something different. But still...just a truck.

hauton

I find it incredibly infuriating that there's sabotage and upgrades that aren't in settlements. So unless you want to run all over the 203492034sqm looking for crap there's really no chance in hell you can ever get 100%.

Speaking as someone who 100% most of his games (and multiple times for certain games), this is frustrating as hell.

Anyone know if it's possible to fully upgrade all the weapons and vehicles if you find all the crates?

hauton said:
I find it incredibly infuriating that there's sabotage and upgrades that aren't in settlements. So unless you want to run all over the 203492034sqm looking for crap there's really no chance in hell you can ever get 100%.

Speaking as someone who 100% most of his games (and multiple times for certain games), this is frustrating as hell.
Yeah, that's pretty annoying, although a lot of them seem to be hidden near existing structures.

The sensor thing has a pretty long range, so it might be possible to find most things just by combing back and forth with a helicopter close to the ground. Still pretty tedious though.

I prefer junk DLC. I'm not going to buy any of that crap anyway so I would rather feel like all the good stuff made it into the game. Now a full fledged expansion pack like General Knoxx is a different story.

Filldough

Pandoracell said:
Double edit: It's coming tommorow? And it's a truck? That FirstPlay thing is something different. But still...just a truck.

Eh I guess its better than nothing. Unless this is paid DLC, in which case I'll probably pass... Still go PLENTY left to do in my current run thru :D

EzLink

Banned
Guys, I just made a really fucking dumb financial decision :(

Just Cause 2 get

I love badass action games, I love open world stuff, and I love games packed with content. This seems to have all of that

But still, I'm already kicking myself for spending the money

Oh well, maybe once I fire it up all the remorse will go away

Pimpbaa

I still got 2 more agency missions and have played like almost 50 hours (over 50% complete). Having fun just finishing up all the villages and bases (and torturing civilians with my grappling hook).

Sanic

Filldough said:
Eh I guess its better than nothing. Unless this is paid DLC, in which case I'll probably pass... Still go PLENTY left to do in my current run thru :D

I'm not gonna buy it, stuff like this doesn't really add anything to the game for me. Plus I have just over 800 ms points left, so even if this is only a dollar I still wouldn't get it as it could mess me up for something better down the line.

Roche

Barakov said:
You happen to know the name of the song in the second video?

I'm not sure the exact name of it but I'm pretty sure its the James Bond theme

Edit: never mind wrong video

EzLink

Banned
this game

fucking

OWNS

A couple questions though. How are you supposed to find all chaos opportunities in a given area and thus reach 100% for specific locations? Do you just have to literally scour every inch of the land to find them or is there an easier way?

And also, what the hell is the deal with the races? I only did one, but it was only a one star difficulty. I jumped in this plane nearby to fly through the rings and the controls were just fucking horrible. I died fifteen times in a row because the rings were scattered through a city and my plane was so hard to control that it kept crashing

And about the black market... once you buy something from there can you reclaim it for free afterwards, or do you have to buy it every single time?

Filldough

EzLink said:
this game

fucking

OWNS

A couple questions though. How are you supposed to find all chaos opportunities in a given area and thus reach 100% for specific locations? Do you just have to literally scour every inch of the land to find them or is there an easier way?

And also, what the hell is the deal with the races? I only did one, but it was only a one star difficulty. I jumped in this plane nearby to fly through the rings and the controls were just fucking horrible. I died fifteen times in a row because the rings were scattered through a city and my plane was so hard to control that it kept crashing

And about the black market... once you buy something from there can you reclaim it for free afterwards, or do you have to buy it every single time?

You have to rebuy each time which kinda sucks. Races are a good source of easy money though since they're $20k per race.

Plane controls are just really sensitive and it sucks there's no yaw control so steering relies on tilting the plane which as you've said is a pain.

Some of the car races are really easy though and there are no time limits or anything and I'm almost positive you can redo races as many times as you want.

Regarding 100%, I've heard different things. I just tackle each spot one at a time and 100% it. Use the radar to locate all the upgrades, that cuts down aimless searching significantly.

Sanic

Seems we have no price on this DLC yet. I'm guessing they couldn't possibly charge more than a dollar? And, they haven't really said what the thing DOES. It better be something sweet :lol.

JRW

Jeez 38 hours of gametime and only 33% completion lol. Whats really crazy is im still not sick of playing it yet.

JustCause2_Game%202010-04-07%2019-43-28-97.jpg

That video of the car tethered to a plane inspired me to do the same. I tried it with a fire truck, which surprisingly didn't seem to affect the plane's stability. I was getting some good back-and-forth swinging action for a while, but I guess it automatically detaches after some time. It was awesome though.

EzLink said:
You basically just have to scour -- just keep an eye out for the red w/ white star. There are a few patterns you can pick up (small comm towers usually have nearby generators, gas stations have 2-4 pumps to blow up, watch for pipelines and the underground communications towers, remember that you can destroy cranes and wind turbines, etc). But for the most part you just have to eyeball it. The small transformers that are mounted on electric towers are a bitch.

Yeah, the plane races are pretty nasty. Don't try to rush them too much, you can take the turns as slow as possible and still usually finish just fine. If all else fails, you can use any flying vehicle, so you can always call in the Silverbolt mini-jet or the Rowlinson chopper from the black market if you need to.

UFRA

geeko420 said:
thats not crazy, its just cause it's soooo awesome.

Pro tip: when quoting a post with a big pic, please edit the quote so that the pic doesn't show up again. ;)

Now.... I'm REALLY puzzled at how people get the 6,000m+ base jumps.

I just took a chopper and grappled it to the hot air balloon, then I simply towed the hot air balloon to maximum altitude (I know it was max altitude since the landmarks I was using for reference were no longer moving).

I then disconnected the chopper and bailed out of it and quickly landed on top of the hot air balloon. I then jumped off, and got credit for a 4,500m base jump. I can't possibly see where I'm missing the other 1,500m from!! :/

Sanic

UFRA said:
Pro tip: when quoting a post with a big pic, please edit the quote so that the pic doesn't show up again. ;)

Now.... I'm REALLY puzzled at how people get the 6,000m+ base jumps.

I just took a chopper and grappled it to the hot air balloon, then I simply towed the hot air balloon to maximum altitude (I know it was max altitude since the landmarks I was using for reference were no longer moving).

I then disconnected the chopper and bailed out of it and quickly landed on top of the hot air balloon. I then jumped off, and got credit for a 4,500m base jump. I can't possibly see where I'm missing the other 1,500m from!! :/

Potentially stupid question, but where you over the ocean when you did the jump? And are you sure the chopper you were using could reach the max altitude possible in the game?

Top Bottom