• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Sanic

Nope it hasn't. I'm glad it's free, that makes the download decision easier for most :p.

EDIT: I just downloaded it. It's pretty fast. Doesn't seem to do anything special beyond play a nice jingle while you drive it.

Pandoracell said:
Nope it hasn't. I'm glad it's free, that makes the download decision easier for most :p.

EDIT: I just downloaded it. It's pretty fast. Doesn't seem to do anything special beyond play a nice jingle while you drive it.
Cool! Apparently the FirstPlay DLC is a red parachute or something, I tried to download but it's told me that my billing information is incorrect so I'll have to sort it out later. Playstation Store has updated now so it's available, can anyone else from the UK confirm the DLC?

Edit: Holy shit it can take a beating :lol. Nice handling too, and it looks pretty sweet, I don't think that image does it any justice.

Edit: Took a quick video of the truck, the thing's a beast. Only after 10 minutes of driving into cars and down mountains it started smoking, and by that time I couldn't capture any more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd2zw85vYws

MNC

Shit :lol :lol Now I have to choose between the PC and PS3 version. My PC doesn't run this game well enough :(

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
6meu3.jpg

:D

UFRA

Pandoracell said:
Potentially stupid question, but where you over the ocean when you did the jump? And are you sure the chopper you were using could reach the max altitude possible in the game?

Yup I was over water, but I can't answer your second question.

Maybe that's the problem. I was using the UH-10 Chippewa. Maybe I need a more powerful chopper like the Quapaw or something. I may try to use a jet as well. I haven't perfected that method yet though lol.

By the way, a fun thing you guys should try is taking the hot air balloon over to the Panau International Airport (tow it with a chopper so it doesn't take all day), then grapple it to a jet taking off and see how long you can stay inside the basket. :lol :lol

OMG THAT SHOULD BE THE NEW CONTEST. :p

Has anybody tried lifting a car into the air with a chopper, letting it drop then jumping in to it? I realise you'd probably blow up when you land but it would be absolutely hilarious to see Rico just get into the car seat and have it explode. :lol

MarshMellow96 said:
Has anybody tried lifting a car into the air with a chopper, letting it drop then jumping in to it? I realise you'd probably blow up when you land but it would be absolutely hilarious to see Rico just get into the car seat and have it explode. :lol
It's a bitch of a challenge because the cars fall about 3 times as fast as you can, even when you're diving. I think someone's pulled it off though, I've seen a video of it.

wasn't mentioned but there was an update
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3679/
truck.jpg

April 8, 2010 - RIDE IN PIMPED OUT STYLE with the FREE downloadable 'Chevalier Ice Breaker,' now included with the latest update to Just Cause 2. Featuring a sturdy front ram, side skirts and greater top speed, you have the perfect tool for causing some serious fender benders. This extreme makeover also includes a jingle to match.

Dave1988

Affeinvasion said:
FREE DLC? WAT?!?! I would easily pay 15 dollars for this premium service! This company is losing out on my hard earned monies.

Don't worry. There will be paid DLC to quench your thirst!

Sanic

UFRA said:
Yup I was over water, but I can't answer your second question.

Maybe that's the problem. I was using the UH-10 Chippewa. Maybe I need a more powerful chopper like the Quapaw or something. I may try to use a jet as well. I haven't perfected that method yet though lol.

By the way, a fun thing you guys should try is taking the hot air balloon over to the Panau International Airport (tow it with a chopper so it doesn't take all day), then grapple it to a jet taking off and see how long you can stay inside the basket. :lol :lol

OMG THAT SHOULD BE THE NEW CONTEST. :p

Sounds like fun :lol but they need to get some more substantial DLC out soon, those ms points are burning a hole in my digital pocket :lol

Pandoracell said:
Um...ok :lol

Their wording is rather odd. I imagine it would HAVE to be using the Youtube APIs, but why they didn't just come out and say that, I don't know.
You're right, I found another interview where Avalanche pretty much calls out Microsoft for the lack of Youtube support on the 360 version:
Eurogamer: One thing that's different between the two, as shikz pointed out, is that PS3 owners can capture and upload to YouTube. Xbox 360 can't. Will they ever?

Magnus Nedfors: That's a question you need to ask Microsoft. It's a feature that Sony helped us out on. That's why we have it only on PS3.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/just-cause-2-launch-reader-interview

Assy, Microsoft. Assy.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Fuck this game is amazing. I've spent so much time just driving/flying around and blowing shit up it is fantastic.

I'm nearing 28 hours played with this game and although I still love it, this is another dev that should take notes from Volition. I can't see myself putting over 80+ hours into this like I did with Saints Row 2 because there isn't enough incentive (IMO) to keep playing that long.

JC2 doesn't do the best job of making the player feel like you're progressing. The military is getting increasingly annoying which should be the exact opposite in zones that you've taken over for factions, and there are no rewards for doing all of this cool stuff. Where's my infinite ammo? Where's my free Black Market? Where's my bullet proof vest that makes Rico a bullet sponge? Where's my cool home base with vehicles available at my fingertips every time I turn on the game (unless I haven't reached this yet). Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but there's a lot they could've implemented fairly easily to keep players progressing through the game for a reason, and make the sandbox more fun.

Klocker

31 hours in, still enjoying being lost in this HUGE world... one day I'll just hop in a land vehicle and remember how cool it is to just stunt and drive and fly off cliffs, next day I'll fall into the water and remember how cool the underwater is, next I'll capture a base and fight for my life for half an hour, next I'll Chute around climbing and discovering, next I'll play Jungle Strike in a chopper, next I'll just sneak around picking up crates and faction items, next I'll surf on a jet... it just keeps on giving...

oh yea, and the missions. :lol

there has got to be keys to the island DLC one day. :D

Pimpbaa

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm nearing 28 hours played with this game and although I still love it, this is another dev that should take notes from Volition. I can't see myself putting over 80+ hours into this like I did with Saints Row 2 because there isn't enough incentive (IMO) to keep playing that long.

No one needs to take notes from Volition because they are the worst developers of this type of game. Saint's Row 2 was pure fucking garbage.

Pimpbaa said:
No one needs to take notes from Volition because they are the worst developers of this type of game. Saint's Row 2 was pure fucking garbage.

Thanks for the great response with all those reasons you think SR2 is garbage. I bet we can get a great conversation going from this response.

Totally awesome response brah.

Damn, I love doing stupid shit in this game. The next mission I wanted to do was on the other side of the main mountains from me, so I drove there... in a tuk-tuk. Probably took me like 30 minutes.

EzLink

Banned
I am so addicted to this game. I've put in 15ish hours over the last three days. And my completion is only 15%

It drives me nuts though trying to 100% a location only to search thirty minutes for the last thing to blow up before giving in and running to the mountains to sulk

Darklord

Banned
I wish they released a mod kit with this game. So many awesome mods from barely anything so far. Imagine what it would be like when the people had full reign!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just beat the main story...I think I totally rushed through it :lol

14 hours 33 minutes, 26% completion on hardcore mode

Time to cause chaos.

I spent a bunch of time trying to grapple my motorcycle to jets as they take off... it was kind of frustrating as the grapple has some weird behavior that caused it to detach all the time. But it was awesome once I finally got it to work. :D

Net_Wrecker said:
JC2 doesn't do the best job of making the player feel like you're progressing. The military is getting increasingly annoying which should be the exact opposite in zones that you've taken over for factions, and there are no rewards for doing all of this cool stuff. Where's my infinite ammo? Where's my free Black Market? Where's my bullet proof vest that makes Rico a bullet sponge? Where's my cool home base with vehicles available at my fingertips every time I turn on the game (unless I haven't reached this yet). Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but there's a lot they could've implemented fairly easily to keep players progressing through the game for a reason, and make the sandbox more fun.
I agree completely. It's too bad there doesn't seem to be much to work for after the missions are done. Stuff like infinite ammo and massive armor upgrades could be considered "game-breaking", but the game is so massive that they could have unlocked it after 40-50% completion and people would still have to work for it.

My two big requests would be:
-Something beyond the little radar icon to help 100% cities. Like if you could pay the black market guy to analyze a settlement and tell you how many crates/destruction targets are left.
-Something to tone down the stupid military.

I understand that they wanted the game to have challenge to it, but the sandbox gameplay is good enough to stand on its own, so they could have ditched a large part of the challenge (or made options to turn it off) once the story is finished.

Pimpbaa said:
That's really assy. Saints Row 2 was fantastic and outshines this game in some regards- player and vehicle customization for example. Not to mention co-op.

Sanic

Neuromancer said:
That's really assy. Saints Row 2 was fantastic and outshines this game in some regards- player and vehicle customization for example. Not to mention co-op.

In other news I have been unable to play Just Cause 2 for five days, minus like 20 minutes messing around with that DLC truck :(

eshwaaz

35 hours in, 38% complete, and I still cannot stop playing this game. I'm not the slightest bit tired of navigating around the world, taking in the sights, and blowing stuff up. Since I got it, Just Cause 2 has kept me from playing Heavy Rain, Bad Company 2, Metro 2033 and God of War 3. If someone had told me a month ago that I'd be choosing to play Just Cause 2 over God of War 3, I'd have called them crazy. I really hope this game sells huge; Avalanche deserves recognition for what they've managed to pull off here.

On the downside, my tolerance for long load times, pop-in and poor framerates in games far more linear and less ambitious than Just Cause 2 has gone way, way down.

EzLink said:
I am so addicted to this game. I've put in 15ish hours over the last three days. And my completion is only 15%

It drives me nuts though trying to 100% a location only to search thirty minutes for the last thing to blow up before giving in and running to the mountains to sulk

ya i wish they would help you find stuff to get the 100% - gets annoying with enemies re-spawning all the time...so far its a fun game but i have not really been doing any of the missions...

also, i agree with the comment about the game giving enough incentive to progress...

Pandoracell said:

In other news I have been unable to play Just Cause 2 for five days, minus like 20 minutes messing around with that DLC truck :(

Eh, I got a good story, so brace for it.

So I'm up at college around an hour and a half from my house. I really wanted the game and K-mart had that deal for 40 bucks, so I had my mom pick it up for me since there isn't a K-mart near me at college. So it was sitting at my home for 2 weeks while my brother played it and I was stuck up at college. So I finally go home for Easter on a Friday, I get home and am able to play it for about 6 hours. Had a blast with it, come Saturday I go to my grandparents house for most of the day. I come home and play it for another 2 hours. Suddenly I notice my screen had some weird color problems so I shut if off and turn it back on. To my surprise I get the wonderful E74 error. So I am able to play it on my brother's 360 for another hour before I have to go back up to college with no xbox, no JC2, all while my brother can continue to play it. So I probably won't be able to continue playing it until the beginning of May since I won't have my 360 until then.

So yeah, I know you probably have a good reason why you can't play it and that sucks, but it sucks having to wait to play the game, and when you finally do, your xbox dies on you and your back to square 1. :(

Pimpbaa said:

:lol :lol
There is so much wrong with this post. Saint's Row 2, like this game is pure amazing fun, not to mention it had amazing customization options, and it did a great job of implementing co-op (which this game needs) throughout the whole campaign. JC2 is my Saint's Row 2 for this year, both games were made for enjoyment and letting you do almost anything you wanted, until next year when Saint's Row 3 comes out.

Brannon

Net_Wrecker said:

All of that is in the PC version (mods), and they're working on multiplayer if you can believe it. I would have the PC version if it weren't for Gamefly sending it in a timely manner.

Might still get it for PC when I return it.

Calcaneus

Finally got some time to start this game. So much fun.

It took a while to get used to the shooting though, and I'm still not that used to it.I don't know what it is, just kinda feels off. Not that bad though.

Anyways, I love when games let you take your time even during missions. It allows me to do the stupidest stuff.

Need more time with it, but so far so good. Except for the cutscenes and voice acting, I can't even pay attention to it, its so bad.

Bernbaum

So I'm up to a late stage Agency mission where I have to "choose a faction leader".

Does the choice have any bearing on unfinished faction missions? I still have stuff I want to do for all three factions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can do all of them after beating story mode. I'm so addicted to this game, 30 + hours in and its stillall I want to play.

Bernbaum said:
So I'm up to a late stage Agency mission where I have to "choose a faction leader".

Does the choice have any bearing on unfinished faction missions? I still have stuff I want to do for all three factions.
Nope, you can still do them all later.

I'm not sure if this was discussed already, but I saw something about multiplayer? Is this something Avalanche is doing or a mod? If it's a mod, how do the modders plan to go about implementing such a thing? Seems like quite a task.

Top Bottom