• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Sanic

CrazedArabMan said:
Eh, I got a good story, so brace for it.

So I'm up at college around an hour and a half from my house. I really wanted the game and K-mart had that deal for 40 bucks, so I had my mom pick it up for me since there isn't a K-mart near me at college. So it was sitting at my home for 2 weeks while my brother played it and I was stuck up at college. So I finally go home for Easter on a Friday, I get home and am able to play it for about 6 hours. Had a blast with it, come Saturday I go to my grandparents house for most of the day. I come home and play it for another 2 hours. Suddenly I notice my screen had some weird color problems so I shut if off and turn it back on. To my surprise I get the wonderful E74 error. So I am able to play it on my brother's 360 for another hour before I have to go back up to college with no xbox, no JC2, all while my brother can continue to play it. So I probably won't be able to continue playing it until the beginning of May since I won't have my 360 until then.

So yeah, I know you probably have a good reason why you can't play it and that sucks, but it sucks having to wait to play the game, and when you finally do, your xbox dies on you and your back to square 1. :(

Yeah that sucks :lol i've just been busy, though my xbox does overheat every hour or so for most games so that does make playing rather difficult :(

And I swear I have the first post on like a fourth of the pages

UFRA

Pandoracell said:

Isn't there a way to check the stats on a thread? Or can only mods do that?

I know in the BFBC2 thread they posted the "top ten posters/whiners" in that thread sort of as a joke, but it was real posting stats via the forum.

I'd be curious to see though. :p

JRW

Pandoracell said:
Yeah that sucks :lol i've just been busy, though my xbox does overheat every hour or so for most games so that does make playing rather difficult :(

Overheat? how old is it? I recently took apart my launch 360 (2005 model) and the heatsink was very dirty (clogged up) to the point of restricting cooling.

Im probably one of the few that still has a working launch model (never been repaired by MS), Although ive done the x-clamp and 8 penny fix on it so far to keep it alive lol.

Sanic

UFRA said:
Isn't there a way to check the stats on a thread? Or can only mods do that?

I know in the BFBC2 thread they posted the "top ten posters/whiners" in that thread sort of as a joke, but it was real posting stats via the forum.

I'd be curious to see though. :p

Go back to the forum index where you can see all of the threads, and to the right of the (in this case) Just Cause 2 thread you'll the amount of posts in the thread. Click it and you'll see the top posters, number one being me, number two being you :lol

JRW said:
Overheat? how old is it? I recently took apart my launch 360 (2005 model) and the heatsink was very dirty (clogged up) to the point of restricting cooling.

Im probably one of the few that still has a working launch model (never been repaired by MS), Although ive done the x-clamp and 8 penny fix on it so far to keep it alive lol.

Yep, overheat. 2 red lights. Its from May 06, red ringed in May 08 and they refurbished it. No problems until a couple of months ago when this issue cropped up. I didn't know the heat sink could clog up like that so I think i'll take it apart and take a look, i'm out of warranty anyway. Thanks for the tip! I just want to put off buying a new unit for a few more months at least.

JRW

Pandoracell said:
Go back to the forum index where you can see all of the threads, and to the right of the (in this case) Just Cause 2 thread you'll the amount of posts in the thread. Click it and you'll see the top posters, number one being me, number two being you :lol

Yep, overheat. 2 red lights. Its from May 06, red ringed in May 08 and they refurbished it. No problems until a couple of months ago when this issue cropped up. I didn't know the heat sink could clog up like that so I think i'll take it apart and take a look, i'm out of warranty anyway. Thanks for the tip! I just want to put off buying a new unit for a few more months at least.

Yea worth a try then, also if thats not the issue you could also try removing the GPU and CPU heatsinks,clean them up, and apply arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I did that to mine as well. (if your comfortable doing that kinda stuff).

Sanic

JRW said:
Yea worth a try then, also if thats not the issue you could also try removing the GPU and CPU heatsinks,clean them up, and apply arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I did that to mine as well. (if your comfortable doing that kinda stuff).

I honestly know nothing about that process, but i'll look up some info and i'll be fine, if things go south i'll always have the second 360 i'm gonna buy anyway. And congratulations on keeping your launch unit running all this time :lol. I actually have a friend with a launch unit that still runs fine and he hasn't done anything to it. Only person I know in real life who hasn't had their 360 red ring, and his is a launch unit of all things! Amazing :lol.

Barakov

Just did the final Agency mission. Took me about 23 hours and I got 27% completion. It's been awhile since I've had this much fun with a game. Now on to mercenary mode.

UFRA

Pandoracell said:

:lol :lol

I knew I spent a lot of time in this thread, but I didn't think it was that much time. We were the only ones to break 100 so far. Cheers. :lol

CrazedArabMan said:
Eh, I got a good story, so brace for it.

Still waiting for it.

Oh, wait...it was that nonsensical nineteen year old's rant about mommy and a broken Xbox, wasn't it?

Nevertheless, unlike McCauly Culken here, Rico's romp through Panau never gets tired.

JRW

This game is really fun im just surprised im not sick of it yet @ 46 hours game time and already finished the main story @ 38 hours, also love all the little attention to details the game presents. It's kinda scary I get sucked into its world and lose track of time... (many late nights).

Kudos to the developers.

Its also great being able to play it at 50-60fps avg. on my recent i7 920 pc build.

UFRA

Snuggler said:
OK, so I just had the craziest glitch.
A car that had exploded started spinning around like a helicopter propeller. I was not expecting that to happen.
Spinning car of death.
I love random glitches like that.

:lol

I love stuff like that too. This game gives me such an old-school GTA vibe from my time spent with GTA3, VC, and SA. So many funny glitches to find in those games and just having random crap happen that wasn't supposed to is always great.

G_Berry

Banned
Fox318 said:
Why did this one make me laugh!!:lol :lol
sk43B.jpg

Holy shit :lol

I really need to buy fraps for the video buffer thing. I wish I got a video of a stunt that happened earlier. I was driving a sports car near the airport and I have no idea exactly what happened, but it turned sideways, jumped and did single slow barrel roll in the air, went over this huge fence, and landed on all four wheels perfectly. I heard the James Bond theme play in my head.

Jaroof

Does anyone know what the mission for the island at the top left is called?
I played it on my first playthrough, and can't remember the name..

It's the one where
There's some big EMP blast from a giant tower that knocks out any planes or boats that come near the island, and there's a bunch of Japanese WWII veterans there.

Edit: Never mind, I found it.
It was "Stranded"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I picked this up the other week for 35$ on PC and have been loving it. It's a really relaxing game and it's nice to just chill out and play for a couple hours. I loved the Mile High Club faction mission and pretty much all the faction missions in general. They have a nice variety of set ups.

Natakuu

Banned
Finally popped this in today for a few hours. I'm pleasantly surprised so far, definitely enjoying it more than I expected. The grapple hook brings a lot of enjoyment, especially with the tether:lol There's been a few weird things happen that were irritating but nothing too serious. Just some of that open world jank I guess. My major complaint so far is how fucking long it can take to get from one place to another sometimes. Then I try to buy a plane and I happened to be on a slope so it runs off the road and into trees and is stuck. Fuck that shit!:lol I can laugh now but it pissed me off at the time.

Jaroof

Natakuu said:
Finally popped this in today for a few hours. I'm pleasantly surprised so far, definitely enjoying it more than I expected. The grapple hook brings a lot of enjoyment, especially with the tether:lol There's been a few weird things happen that were irritating but nothing too serious. Just some of that open world jank I guess. My major complaint so far is how fucking long it can take to get from one place to another sometimes. Then I try to buy a plane and I happened to be on a slope so it runs off the road and into trees and is stuck. Fuck that shit!:lol I can laugh now but it pissed me off at the time.

If this game is pissing you off, you're playing it wrong ;)
Just have fun with it.
Though I will admit, the hardest mode will get kinda frustrating.. but if you're playing on Normal or Easy.. just play around, and have a blast with it.

rexor0717

I finally got my game today. I've only done the first few missions, but I can tell that I'm going to like this game a lot. The grappling hook never gets old.

Natakuu

Banned
Jaroof said:
If this game is pissing you off, you're playing it wrong ;)
Just have fun with it.
Though I will admit, the hardest mode will get kinda frustrating.. but if you're playing on Normal or Easy.. just play around, and have a blast with it.
The only thing that pissed me off was paying for that plane just to have it immediately roll off the road cause it was sloped TWICE:lol Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..

Jaroof

New Tumble video.
I liked how he started sliding during my second attempt :lol
Also, after I finished a race, I tried to blow up this car..
The first hit was pretty confusing..

Natakuu said:
The only thing that pissed me off was paying for that plane just to have it immediately roll off the road cause it was sloped TWICE:lol Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..

:lol yeah, I know what you mean. It's happened to me a fair amount of times, too..
but don't sweat it. This game's more than big enough that you can gain back that money that you lost for those few planes..

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the main character looks a lot like Gerard Butler. Not all the time, but there are definitely moments when I'm playing where I get flashes of Leonidas. Sans beard, of course.

Just look at the pic posted a few posts above.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Rhino said:
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/188501-just-cause-2/
On my save, the values for weapon parts are at 46A07. Apparently they're a little different on everybody's save but I'd search around there. The rest of the values are after that. The USB Xplorer is also a little tricky to use but it works.

Stuff that isn't linked in that post but you'll need it:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
http://halo.gruntmods.com/Files/Xtaf_Release_Gui_.rar
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/61603-app-concept/
A USB drive

I'd keep a few backups of your save and just edit one in case you mess up.

Natakuu said:

You'll get the option to travel to any spot you've visited before almost instantly later in the game. Also, in the case where your plan got stuck in the trees, you might have been able to salvage it. I once got a limo stuck next to a tree during a drive through the forest. I didn't want to just leave it behind because delivering its passenger was a requirement for the mission. There happened to be a jeep nearby from an enemy who chased me into the woods, so I attached one end of my cable to the jeep and the other end to the limo, got in the jeep, and proceeded to tow the limo out of the woods.

crispyben

I started this game yesterday, and I haven't been able to catch up on the 50 pages, but is there a consensus on an online resource for this game? Like cool spots, vehicles, weapons, etc. Thanks.

Jaroof

crispyben said:
I started this game yesterday, and I haven't been able to catch up on the 50 pages, but is there a consensus on an online resource for this game? Like cool spots, vehicles, weapons, etc. Thanks.
Easter Eggs/Cool Stuff

There were some vehicle locations earlier in this thread, but I don't remember what page they were on. Sorry :p

Harteex

Natakuu said:

Reminds me when I called in a boat from the black market. Of course I forgot that I aimed on the ground before I entered the market. Doh.

Fantasmo said:
1 thing I wish for is the ability to buy multiple items from the black market at the same time.
That would be nice... But if you call him up right after another order, it at least skips his opening animation.

Fantasmo said:
1 thing I wish for is the ability to buy multiple items from the black market at the same time.
Well at least the cut-scene only appears the first time you buy something, then if you enter the market straight after, the menu appears straight away.

This thread has gotten slower and slower! Where's the love!

I didn't even know what this game was since I had never played the first. I just got the demo for the hell of it and WTF is this awesomeness? Seriously where was I? I just attached a guy to a gas canister and had it drag him into a helicopter and explode. That was in the first 4 minutes of figuring out the controls. There must be hours of crazy youtube videos attached to this game!!!!

Edit: OMFG climbing on the front of the jeep and killing everyone inside? base jumping?

It's like living in some crazy parallel world where Mercs 2 didn't suck. This is really good.

After playing the demo over a dozen times while waiting for GameFly (with 2 open slots for the last 6 days) to send JC2, I decided to drive to Target and get a copy.

Installing now, can't wait to play.

UFRA

Mechanical Snowman said:
Well at least the cut-scene only appears the first time you buy something, then if you enter the market straight after, the menu appears straight away.

Yeah, this gives me hope that they'll listen to all of the complaining on the official forums about people wanting to get rid of the chopper cut-scene. The fact that the game can already bring up the menu instantly shows they may be able to get rid of the cut-scene and make it instantaneous relatively easy...I hope. :/

After playing the 360 demo, I think I'll buy JC2 on the 360 first, then I'll buy it on the PC when I buy a new PC and the game goes on sale on Steam, and sell the 360 copy. My two gripes about the game are the controls (especially for vehicles) and the map not having enough information. Does the map have anything that can help me 100% an area?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
JRW said:

Nah I have a lauch model also.. .but I don't play it very often so that might explain why its still alive lol. Didn't change anything to it still 100% original so not even those fixes...

ChoklitReign said:
After playing the 360 demo, I think I'll buy JC2 on the 360 first, then I'll buy it on the PC when I buy a new PC and the game goes on sale on Steam, and sell the 360 copy. My two gripes about the game are the controls (especially for vehicles) and the map not having enough information. Does the map have anything that can help me 100% an area?
Not really, no. There's a signal strength indicator in the top left of the screen that gets more bars as you get closer to an item, but there's nothing like that for sabotage targets.

Natakuu

Banned
Jaroof said:
:lol yeah, I know what you mean. It's happened to me a fair amount of times, too..
but don't sweat it. This game's more than big enough that you can gain back that money that you lost for those few planes..
Yeah I wasn't really worried about losing the money, it was more that after two failed attempts I had to drive there in a jeep and it took forever:lol

ArachosiA 78 said:
You'll get the option to travel to any spot you've visited before almost instantly later in the game. Also, in the case where your plan got stuck in the trees, you might have been able to salvage it. I once got a limo stuck next to a tree during a drive through the forest. I didn't want to just leave it behind because delivering its passenger was a requirement for the mission. There happened to be a jeep nearby from an enemy who chased me into the woods, so I attached one end of my cable to the jeep and the other end to the limo, got in the jeep, and proceeded to tow the limo out of the woods.
That's a huge relief, thanks. Looking forward to that point as right now it's my biggest issue with the game.

Harteex said:
Reminds me when I called in a boat from the black market. Of course I forgot that I aimed on the ground before I entered the market. Doh.
:lol :lol :lol Oh man, that sucks. I'm definitely gonna keep that in mind though if I ever decide to get a boat.

UFRA said:
Yeah, this gives me hope that they'll listen to all of the complaining on the official forums about people wanting to get rid of the chopper cut-scene. The fact that the game can already bring up the menu instantly shows they may be able to get rid of the cut-scene and make it instantaneous relatively easy...I hope. :/
It would be nice, it only irks me so much because the scenes are so repetitive.

"Try not to break this one will ya! Aww, who am I kidding?"

HOW CAN I BREAK A GRENADE?? :lol

And speaking of the official forums; I wish at least half of those 10 year-olds would be perma'd. Reading NeoGAF is almost euphoric after visiting that text-speak infested, complaint riddled nursery.

UFRA

Mechanical Snowman said:
And speaking of the official forums; I wish at least half of those 10 year-olds would be perma'd. Reading NeoGAF is almost euphoric after visiting that text-speak infested, complaint riddled nursery.

So true. Either there's a lot of idiots who know nothing about computers/video games, or there's just a lot of kids.

The official bug reporting thread is a mess. Some people are posting bugs that have been listed as known issues in the OP since day one.

Then you have people who give no info on their setup or conditions of the bug when they post a bug:

"Hi, I was doing agency mission 2 and the game froze. I had to restart, this sux."

WTF are they supposed to do with that information? They don't know what you were doing in the mission, what platform you're on, if you're playing on PC what your specs are, etc. etc.

/rant lol

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What The...?

I still have no clue how I got there, was attaching myself to a helicopter, than BAM!, somehow I broke through the boundary =/

Was fun for a few minutes

My first JC2 upload lol

Top Bottom