• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Slaylock

Stallion Free said:
Is anyone else addicted to the races? I get hooked and I'll just do them for an hour. Some of the plane ones can get pretty frustrating though.
The car and boat races are ridiculously easy but the plane and base jump races are ridiculously hard. It's too bad there's no middle ground.

A fully upgraded Rowlinson makes all of the air races ridiculously easy and incredibly fun.

The base jumps have me just about to pull my hair out though. I'm going for 100% on my playthrough and these are the only thing that are going to be a major obstacle. The worst part is trying to get back to the start line of a base jump since you usually die right after running out of time. Thus you can't take advantage of the save that you get before you start the race because it doesn't use that save unless you die during the race.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Slaylock said:
The car and boat races are ridiculously easy but the plane and base jump races are ridiculously hard. It's too bad there's no middle ground.
The races with the fast luxury cars might fit in the middle ground category.

Slaylock

Vic said:
The races with the fast luxury cars might fit in the middle ground category.
The skittish controls on the faster cars can make those races a little tougher, but even in those I'll beat the time by a minute or more.

In fact, even the plane and base jump races are not hard to beat time-wise. It's mostly a problem getting through all the checkpoints without dying horribly.

Salacious Crumb

I <3 Memes said:
A fully upgraded Rowlinson makes all of the air races ridiculously easy and incredibly fun.

The base jumps have me just about to pull my hair out though. I'm going for 100% on my playthrough and these are the only thing that are going to be a major obstacle. The worst part is trying to get back to the start line of a base jump since you usually die right after running out of time. Thus you can't take advantage of the save that you get before you start the race because it doesn't use that save unless you die during the race.

Don't even bother trying to recover if you miss the second or third ring, just push pause and restart the challenge.

UFRA

I've done about half of the races so far. I enjoy them, it's a nice change of pace sometimes to do a quick race here and there.

My only complaint is the checkpoints. I wish they didn't have to 'explode' every time you go through them. It's just obnoxious, especially when playing late at night, and I really don't want to turn the volume down, but this overly-done BOOM every time I go through a checkpoint just gets annoying. :p

Edit:

Also, in other news I just got a new PC.

Intel Core i5 quad-core @ 3.2Ghz
8GB of RAM
1.5GB video card
1TB HDD

I'm considering double-dipping just because of all of the crazy mods for this game, just not sure yet. I've put 65 hours into the PS3 version and not sure I want to start over again, or if I would even feel like sitting at the PC to play it when I've got my surround sound and all that in the other room. :/

Sanic

UFRA said:
I've done about half of the races so far. I enjoy them, it's a nice change of pace sometimes to do a quick race here and there.

My only complaint is the checkpoints. I wish they didn't have to 'explode' every time you go through them. It's just obnoxious, especially when playing late at night, and I really don't want to turn the volume down, but this overly-done BOOM every time I go through a checkpoint just gets annoying. :p

Edit:

Also, in other news I just got a new PC.

Intel Core i5 quad-core @ 3.2Ghz
8GB of RAM
1.5GB video card
1TB HDD

I'm considering double-dipping just because of all of the crazy mods for this game, just not sure yet. I've put 65 hours into the PS3 version and not sure I want to start over again, or if I would even feel like sitting at the PC to play it when I've got my surround sound and all that in the other room. :/

Just wait a few months at least. Possible price drop, more mods, and you won't be burned out on the whole thing.

vanty

UFRA said:

Yeah the race checkpoint sounds are the loudest in the entire game. They must be twice as loud as even a pipeline exploding. Wearing headphones it almost blew my brains out first time I did a race :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pandoracell said:
Just wait a few months at least. Possible price drop, more mods, and you won't be burned out on the whole thing.

This man is wise. Wait till they put it on sale on Steam next Christmas. You will prolly be able to get it for around 15$ (I got it for 35$ the other week).

UFRA

Pandoracell said:

Stallion Free said:
This man is wise. Wait till they put it on sale on Steam next Christmas. You will prolly be able to get it for around 15$ (I got it for 35$ the other week).

Good ideas. I shall wait a bit and save me some money. Not a bad idea since the new PC wasn't cheap. ;)

Is anyone else getting an absolute fuck-ton of spam comments on their JC2 videos? I've removed about 5 or 6 in the past couple of days, all of them advertising some site and badly disguised as a generic video comment. Really pissing me off.

Cahill

Banned
I <3 Memes said:

I can't stand them either. Think I completed one after waaay too many tries and said "screw this". Just wasn't fun.

Sanic

It looks like i'm going to be posting in this thread by myself when I can finally return to the game :lol

I read somewhere that there's a plane larger than the 474s in the game? Anybody know anything about that?

Filldough

Salacious Crumb said:
Don't even bother trying to recover if you miss the second or third ring, just push pause and restart the challenge.

Nice Tip, didn't know you could do that. Been avoiding the base jumps lately cause I hate climbing the damn buildings again.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fuck this game. I'm trying to finish it off before Halo Reach/Red Dead Redemption/etc. and I just can't get it done.

Here's what happens:
1) place waypoint at next Agency mission
2) Say to self: I WILL NOT STOP ANYWHERE ALONG THE WAY
3) Ooooh... look at that military base
4) BIG RED WATER TOWER!!!!!!! RED THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DESTROYED!!!!
5) Ah, destroying that felt good.
6) omg, look at that bridge and highway... oooh physics fun time
7) OK GET ON TRACK DO THE AGENCY MISSION!
8) RADIO TOWER... CANNOT... RESIST
9) Ah, might as well do that faction mission over there...
10) Sweet airport! Must be some jets down there.
11) HAAAHHA DIE FUCKERS FEAR MY JET BITCHES

~3 hours later~

11) Fuck. Better to go bed. TOMMOROW I WILL DO AGENCY MISSION

Yeah, it's been like this for a week :lol

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How are people having trouble with the Base Jumps?

To me they were hella' easy

The airplane ones were more hard than the base jumps

Go through 2 hoops, pull parachute to slow down, release, move onto next ring
You dont have to dive through all of them

Hell every base challenge I did, I had 20+ seconds remaining. Only 1 that was a little tricky was the snowy mountain temple one

All the others were fuck easy

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Filldough said:
Nice Tip, didn't know you could do that. Been avoiding the base jumps lately cause I hate climbing the damn buildings again.
Same here :lol

Pandoracell said:
I read somewhere that there's a plane larger than the 474s in the game? Anybody know anything about that?
There's that cargo jet -- I'm not sure if that's bigger than the 474, though. That's the only comparable plane I've seen, and I think I've flown them all.

GraveRobberX said:
How are people having trouble with the Base Jumps?

To me they were hella' easy

The airplane ones were more hard than the base jumps

Go through 2 hoops, pull parachute to slow down, release, move onto next ring
You dont have to dive through all of them

Hell every base challenge I did, I had 20+ seconds remaining. Only 1 that was a little tricky was the snowy mountain temple one

All the others were fuck easy
Yeah, I thought the plane ones were way harder too. I had a little trouble with one of the city base jump races (where you had to weave through buildings with the parachute), but none of them were too bad.

I've had to resort to the Rowlinson on several of the plane races, though, some of those are just brutal.

RSTEIN said:
Fuck this game. I'm trying to finish it off before Halo Reach/Red Dead Redemption/etc. and I just can't get it done.

Here's what happens:

~3 hours later~

I enjoyed this.

I finished my Hardcore playthrough in 10:15 and had almost 29% completion. It didn't really seem that much harder. The game goes by really fast if you just do the missions. Now I just need that Wrecking Ball trophy.

DaveKap

Banned
Tigletx said:
hope they make a mod that makes the city more busy.
http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Gameplay/Traffic-Control/

So far this is the closest you'll get. Turns out the default amount of traffic is actually almost hitting the hard limit possible, so this mod can only turn it up a little bit. I'm not sure what happens when you take it further.. either the engine can't handle it or current PCs can't, probably the former.

JRW

Is it me or does the army presence become even more aggressive the higher the game completion gets? I finished the main agency missions long ago but it seems like im having a tougher time staying alive as I go to new locations, the army is present in large groups and I end up getting shot at from all angles, pretty annoying.....

Mercenary Mode is such a disappointing missed opportunity. I spent 40 hours before completing the game and all I got was this completion meter.

Why does this game not have cheats? Still holding onto the hope that Avalanche will see the light and release "Keys to the Island" DLC.

Sanic

VibratingDonkey said:
Mercenary Mode is such a disappointing missed opportunity. I spent 40 hours before completing the game and all I got was this completion meter.

Why does this game not have cheats? Still holding onto the hope that Avalanche will see the light and release "Keys to the Island" DLC.

This has been a problem with most open world games recently. Such a dissapointment.

reetva

Banned
Any PC players here willing to take a video of a nuclear-level rocket explosion? Modding seems relatively simple, so just up the splash damage on the launcher or something. Do it for GAF. :D

vanty

JRW said:
Is it me or does the army presence become even more aggressive the higher the game completion gets? I finished the main agency missions long ago but it seems like im having a tougher time staying alive as I go to new locations, the army is present in large groups and I end up getting shot at from all angles, pretty annoying.....
Well you do get the "Military Presence Increased" things popping up every so often for the first 10 hours or so until they max out. Now I can barely do anything without two attack choppers and a cargo chopper dropping 20 dudes down at me.

JRW said:
Yeah, I've been seeing more groups of 8-10 soldiers clumped together, and once I kill those a bunch more come streaming out of every corner. It's getting pretty ridiculous. It seems like there's a more steady stream of helicopters all the time, too.

JRW said:

Very annoying. It honestly should be the other way around. I don't understand how towns being liberated, and you doing gang work effectively helping the gangs take control makes the military MORE powerful. They just become a nuisance after the 20 hour mark. If anything, the Roaches/Ular Boys/Reapers should be driving them out. Having 2 attack choppers on you just for breaking a generator is :|

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm at around 62% completion in Mercenary mode with about 36 hours on the game clock. I'm starting to get sick of this game but I just want the damn 75% achievement

RSTEIN said:

Here's what happens:

~3 hours later~

:lol same for me, I haven't done any agency missions :lol

MrTroubleMaker said:
:lol same for me, I haven't done any agency missions :lol
me2 :D

Right now I take the speed boat everytime and search for settlements along the coast. every now and then I try to jump across land with some awesome results :D The Speedboat is just awesome.

mack999

Banned
JRW said:

I heard Mercenary mode ups the difficulty and it seems true. I'm only on casual, 50% completion and going for the 75% acheev but merely shooting down a water tower has me grappling a chopper within seconds with two more choppers firing at me.

Ok this game still blows me away. I was just hunting for a black box in the water at night with some dark low clouds and rain. Suddenly the sun starts to rise and the clouds start to disipate in the orange glow. One of the more amazing things I've seen on my new 1080p projector. Beautiful!!
Also can't believe how easy it is to get around the map without a vehicle. Some long distances call for a helicopter or plane but the way I'm using the parachute and the grappling hook to zip myself around is both convenient and a blast.
:D

DaveKap

Banned
Artadius said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaYeeSflhrU

WAT

Ok, supposedly its just a bot...not another actual player... so not as impressive as it could be. But still, god I hope these succeed to bring MP to JC2.
Where are you getting your "supposedly" from? The guy behind BOLOPatch confirmed it was really 2 people. The real problem is that the SA-MP guys worked on it, which could mean a buggy piece of crap that doesn't update for years gets released. Not that the MTA team did much better, but at least they got nice netcode into Race before blowing their wad on what ruined the MTA experience; DM mode.

Cahill

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Here's what happens:

~3 hours later~

Perfect summary of the game. :lol :lol

UFRA

CitizenCope said:
So are we saying go for the 75% before finishing the story?

Why do that?

IMO, get to Mercenary Mode as soon as you can, then you get more detailed percentage reports, and you don't have to worry about story crap.

292uw4x.png

:lol :lol :lol

Liquid Helium said:
http://i43.tinypic.com/292uw4x.png[IMG]

:lol :lol :lol[/QUOTE]
The look on Rico's face just makes it perfect :lol
[quote="Neuromancer"]So Mercenary mode isn't a lot harder?[/quote]
no bro

Going for platinum tonight, I should have it by tomorrow. Pissed off that I got hit with the "missing faction missions" glitch, as I would probably have had about 75% by now.

Top Bottom