• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Kill all 50 Generals, it ups your % a lot

I killed all of them, also had around close to 80% of faction items (per group)

Finally got the platinum, that Wrecking Ball one is a pain. I used the heli + car + rooftop colonel method, which is simple but still took me several tries. If you switched fire to L1/R1 like I did while playing the game, you have to switch back to the defaults when attempting this or else you release the line anytime you try to lower your chopper/hit the brakes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
...cause JC2 is awesome.
That being said, after about playing this for about 40 hours since release, I'm finally ready for shelve it for awhile. It's probably 2nd favorite game of the year after Mass Effect 2. It's so much fun but I'm kind of burnt out, I beat the story, did a shitload of missions, cleared almost 100 settlements and pushed the sandbox till it's limits. I'm not done though, when Avalanche releases some DLC or I just feel the need to cause some mayhem, I'll be back.

Assemble!

RSTEIN said:
Fuck this game. I'm trying to finish it off before Halo Reach/Red Dead Redemption/etc. and I just can't get it done.

Here's what happens:
1) place waypoint at next Agency mission
2) Say to self: I WILL NOT STOP ANYWHERE ALONG THE WAY
3) Ooooh... look at that military base
4) BIG RED WATER TOWER!!!!!!! RED THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DESTROYED!!!!
5) Ah, destroying that felt good.
6) omg, look at that bridge and highway... oooh physics fun time
7) OK GET ON TRACK DO THE AGENCY MISSION!
8) RADIO TOWER... CANNOT... RESIST
9) Ah, might as well do that faction mission over there...
10) Sweet airport! Must be some jets down there.
11) HAAAHHA DIE FUCKERS FEAR MY JET BITCHES

~3 hours later~

11) Fuck. Better to go bed. TOMMOROW I WILL DO AGENCY MISSION

Yeah, it's been like this for a week :lol

Yep. I keep opening my map and staring at the agency mission logo. I haven't even gotten close to it. This game is really built for (and rewards) ADD players.

Just finished the story. What an ending. :lol I honestly couldn't think of a better way to end it than
hopping around on nuclear missiles, Stragelove style.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lionel Mandrake said:
Just finished the story. What an ending. :lol I honestly couldn't think of a better way to end it than
hopping around on nuclear missiles, Stragelove style.

I just finished as well and I thought that end segment + cutscene was fucking great. I had all faction missions completed so now I'm just working through settlements and dreading those final 10 races I have left (I still suck at the skydiving ones). I cannot wait for some DLC. I'd love for them to add more races and faction missions.

Salacious Crumb

i1xmcw.jpg

It's worth .99c, right? ....right guys?

...... :(

I jost lost close to 3 hours of progress due to the game autosaving a millisecond before I failed a mission. Now everytime I load the last checkpoint, I instantly fail the mission and it kicks me back out to the menu.

Guess I'l have to get in the habit of manually saving frequently.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fun fact: I was just reading the new game informer mag and Avalanche Studios will be developing a Toy Story game for all current systems that actually sounds pretty good. Hopefully this will be a big hit for them. Reading that made me feel good especially after seeing that they didn't even make the top 20 for last month's NPD's.

Oops, wrong dev. This post is false.

JRW

JustCause2_Game%202010-04-16%2017-32-31-36.jpg

Dunno, Just thought it was a cool looking area :D
Also Im stuck at 97% here ive been looking for that last item to find or destroy for... Awhile.

Snuggler said:
Fun fact: I was just reading the new game informer mag and Avalanche Studios will be developing a Toy Story game for all current systems that actually sounds pretty good. Hopefully this will be a big hit for them. Reading that made me feel good especially after seeing that they didn't even make the top 20 for last month's NPD's.

That could be a lot of fun. I don't care about Toy Story, but I always loved games where you're really small in a huge world (SMB3, Chip and Dale etc).

KillerAJD

Snuggler said:
Wrong. Avalanche Software will be making Toy Story 3, not Avalanche Studios (which made JC 1 & 2). Regardless, hopefully Avalanche Studios will be able to continue on with the JC franchise.
*Edit* Hmm, I sound like a jackass with that reply, sorry about that, lol. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh. Well maybe they shouldn't have chosen such similar names. My bad.

*Edit* Hmm, I sound like a jackass with that reply, sorry about that, lol.

It's cool, I appreciate that you corrected me before I misinformed too many people.

Sanic

Mechanical Snowman said:
=O Why? Could you possibly write a mini review?

Nope, because I haven't purchased it :p. I personally wouldn't pay a dollar for another vehicle that i'll likely never use, that's all. Could be worth it to others.

Pandoracell said:
Nope, because I haven't purchased it :p. I personally wouldn't pay a dollar for another vehicle that i'll likely never use, that's all. Could be worth it to others.
Oh! Well, I paid £1.74 for a microwaveable burger yesterday and it wasn't even that nice, I'm sure a 99p monster truck can offer me more satisfaction :p

In other news, I need 3 more percent and I've platinum'd Just Cause 2 =( The last 2 missions on Hardcore mode were disappointingly easily.

ArachosiA 78 said:
That could be a lot of fun. I don't care about Toy Story, but I always loved games where you're really small in a huge world (SMB3, Chip and Dale etc).

This game is essentially like playing with a badass GI Joe as a kid except it does most of the imagining for you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
The fact that this game is not loaded to the gills with ridiculous cheat codes and stupid modes is one good reason to hate DLC.

http://kotaku.com/5519291/just-cause-2-multiplayer-somebodys-working-on-it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaYeeSflhrU&feature=player_embedded

While we never reviewed it, know that I played a lot of Just Cause 2, and I loved it. The only thing that would have made it better was some multiplayer, and, hey, what do you know. Look at this.

Similar to mods for the Grand Theft Auto games on PC, some guys are working to bring multiplayer to Square Enix's singleplayer-only island adventure. At the moment it's early days, the clip above showing only a couple of players in a race, but just think of the possibilities if they ever get this thing working: grapple hook fights.

The game is crazy enough with what it lets you do with that thing. What could happen with multiple grappling hooks loose in the game world?

Good times, that's what.

UFRA

Mechanical Snowman said:
=O Why? Could you possibly write a mini review?

I'll write you a mini-review:

Monster Truck DLC

Pros:
-Very durable (well armored).
-Huge tires that can pretty much climb over anything.
-Ready equipped at Level 6 with a machine gun and grenade launcher. (or rockets, can't remember which one, but it gets explosives either way).
-Looks cool, although I'm not a big fan of the flame paint scheme.

Cons:
-It's $75,000. Not exactly an exciting price to pay when you are just starting out in the game. I got the truck via the pre-order code, and I only used it 1 time over the course of 65 hours, and that was just to test it out. I didn't even save my file and lose the money lol. Although now, with $5,000,000 it would be easy to afford.
-The truck can shoot itself. Yes, that's right. If you aim down at a car in front of you, the grenade launcher will hit the roof of the truck and you'll be disappointed.
-Not as fun to wreck. There's just something majestic about seeing a family sedan rolling down a mountain as the doors fly off, parts break, glass shatters, etc. But with the Monster Truck, it's more like watching an elephant roll down a mountain. Due to the huge tires, it really doesn't flip as easily.

Bottom Line:
-There's definitely some fun to have with the truck, and it can tackle mostly anything you throw at it (except it's own gun), but for some reason it's just not as exciting as you'd think.

Bear

Holy shit, I just came across the weirdest glitch I've ever seen while playing this game.

I just started up the game and it spawned at the house. I grabbed the speedboat there and floored it to the airport, and about halfway there the camera suddenly shifts to some ridiculously high point in the sky (while still moving forward at the same speed) and on the minimap, I'm apparently somewhere on a snow-capped mountain even though in reality I'm still in the ocean several kilometers away from the nearest coast. I jump out and I collide with an invisible mountain and tumble down. Now I'm standing on this "mountain", I basically repeat this jump/tumble until I reach the bottom and, on the minimap, I'm in a grassy field near some roads. When I walk, you can even see a faint trail of grass, as well as footsteps, following Rico as he runs in midair across the ocean. The effect looks like something out of Okami.

At this point I'm near water level and on the minimap, I see a shore not too far away, so I run in that direction. My speedboat is floating in midair and I try to grapple to it, but I keep colliding with invisible walls. I give up trying to reach that and just run for the water. I notice a wave texture on the water, which indicates the shore, and at this point it looks like I'm running on water. That Tiger Woods Jesus shot has nothing on this. I reach the water and he starts swimming, so everything looks normal. The minimap still shows me in a completely different location, and every time I reach a small island on the minimap I run on it, but that's about it. So I continue swimming towards the airport and after a few minutes, I notice that the minimap has a solid white line, with nothing but white past that point. When I reach it, Rico dies and literally shoots up into the air with his back straight and his arms extended to his side. His hands and head were completely limp. He couldn't have looked more like a crucified Jesus if he tried. At this point his body was ascending really fast and everything was turning white as the screen did that usual fade-into-red effect you get when you die.

God I love this game. I wish I could've recorded it but I was playing the 360 version. Come to think of it, I probably should've gotten my camera and just recorded it off-screen.

reetva

Banned
Bear said:
Holy shit, I just came across the weirdest glitch I've ever seen while playing this game.

I just started up the game and it spawned at the house. I grabbed the speedboat there and floored it to the airport, and about halfway there the camera suddenly shifts to some ridiculously high point in the sky (while still moving forward at the same speed) and on the minimap, I'm apparently somewhere on a snow-capped mountain even though in reality I'm still in the ocean several kilometers away from the nearest coast. I jump out and I collide with an invisible mountain and tumble down. Now I'm standing on this "mountain", I basically repeat this jump/tumble until I reach the bottom and, on the minimap, I'm in a grassy field near some roads. When I walk, you can even see a faint trail of grass, as well as footsteps, following Rico as he runs in midair across the ocean. The effect looks like something out of Okami.

At this point I'm near water level and on the minimap, I see a shore not too far away, so I run in that direction. My speedboat is floating in midair and I try to grapple to it, but I keep colliding with invisible walls. I give up trying to reach that and just run for the water. I notice a wave texture on the water, which indicates the shore, and at this point it looks like I'm running on water. That Tiger Woods Jesus shot has nothing on this. I reach the water and he starts swimming, so everything looks normal. The minimap still shows me in a completely different location, and every time I reach a small island on the minimap I run on it, but that's about it. So I continue swimming towards the airport and after a few minutes, I notice that the minimap has a solid white line, with nothing but white past that point. When I reach it, Rico dies and literally shoots up into the air with his back straight and his arms extended to his side. His hands and head were completely limp. He couldn't have looked more like a crucified Jesus if he tried. At this point his body was ascending really fast and everything was turning white as the screen did that usual fade-into-red effect you get when you die.

God I love this game. I wish I could've recorded it but I was playing the 360 version. Come to think of it, I probably should've gotten my camera and just recorded it off-screen.

That sounds like the most horrifying thing ever. Honestly, that freaked me out a bit just reading about it. :lol

UFRA said:
I'll write you a mini-review:
Thanks man. I would have bought it anyway - 79p is a steal even for an hour of messing around. I love that it can climb extremely steep terrain, but like you said that grenade launcher is a piece of shit. I couldn't even take down pursuing bikers with it even though I sure as hell either hit them or the ground ~1 foot away.

One thing I found that it's good for is surfing. I rode that beast halfway down the Ski Slope, and I even stayed on during the jump / landing.The suspension allows for a nice comfy ride.

Bear said:
...I notice that the minimap has a solid white line, with nothing but white past that point. When I reach it, Rico dies and literally shoots up into the air with his back straight and his arms extended to his side. His hands and head were completely limp. He couldn't have looked more like a crucified Jesus if he tried. At this point his body was ascending really fast and everything was turning white as the screen did that usual fade-into-red effect you get when you die...
This certainly sounds plausible. Exploiting the timer glitch in the Demo gained you access to the "whole" map. Going near to the edge where physical terrain stopped loading, cars would explode and shoot a mile in the air, all sorts of crazy - looks like something like this happened to you. And the 'Jesus' glitch is pretty common among pedestrians, apparently it's some default character position the Devs used when texturing the ped skins, and it just so happens that some peds go into the position in-game. Though maybe it wasn't the glitch you experienced, just a coincidence in the ragdoll physics.

Bear

Mechanical Snowman said:
This certainly sounds plausible. Exploiting the timer glitch in the Demo gained you access to the "whole" map. Going near to the edge where physical terrain stopped loading, cars would explode and shoot a mile in the air, all sorts of crazy - looks like something like this happened to you. And the 'Jesus' glitch is pretty common among pedestrians, apparently it's some default character position the Devs used when texturing the ped skins, and it just so happens that some peds go into the position in-game. Though maybe it wasn't the glitch you experienced, just a coincidence in the ragdoll physics.

Yeah, the body was in the default character position that models are always in. For whatever reason the head and hands were still affected by ragdoll physics, they were flailing around quite a bit.

It was very funny to experience the whole thing, it was a really surreal 10 minutes or so :lol. I actually managed to recreate it by continuing and doing the same thing, and this time I recorded it, but it would be too much trouble to upload it all. It's in a few segments since my SD card filled up and the whole thing is 1.3 GB, and drags on for quite a bit. I didn't get the Jesus pose this time, but I guess Superman is close enough to Jesus :lol.

zx6vc5.gif

EDIT: Used a better image host.

MNC

Bear said:
Yeah, the body was in the default character position that models are always in. For whatever reason the head and hands were still affected by ragdoll physics, they were flailing around quite a bit.

It was very funny to experience the whole thing, it was a really surreal 10 minutes or so :lol. I actually managed to recreate it by continuing and doing the same thing, and this time I recorded it, but it would be too much trouble to upload it all. It's in a few segments since my SD card filled up and the whole thing is 1.3 GB, and drags on for quite a bit. I didn't get the Jesus pose this time, but I guess Superman is close enough to Jesus :lol.

MVI_0370_xvid-1.gif
Somehow, I could imagine an epic fight/battle where you fly up really fast, like that, see a beautiful vista, like that, and have some huge battleship/monster/planet/whatever big creep up slowly, kind of like in Sonic 3.

vanty

I've had a weird glitch where for at least 10 races now the arrows on the road that point you towards the next checkpoint all point in the opposite direction. I can't remember if it's like that for when I'm just going to a waypoint as well, but I don't think so. Can get very confusing in a race that has both on road and off road sections :lol

vanty said:
I've had a weird glitch where for at least 10 races now the arrows on the road that point you towards the next checkpoint all point in the opposite direction. I can't remember if it's like that for when I'm just going to a waypoint as well, but I don't think so. Can get very confusing in a race that has both on road and off road sections :lol
There are no arrows when you're racing, only inside the corona itself. Maybe you forgot to take off your waypoint marker before starting a race?

Bear said:
I actually managed to recreate it by continuing and doing the same thing
:lol Nice. How do you do this then? If you've managed to recreate it it must be quite a consistent glitch, wouldn't mind checking it out.

Bear

Mechanical Snowman said:
There are no arrows when you're racing, only inside the corona itself. Maybe you forgot to take off your waypoint marker before starting a race?

:lol Nice. How do you do this then? If you've managed to recreate it it must be quite a consistent glitch, wouldn't mind checking it out.

Oh, I was only able to recreate it in that same sitting. I'm not quite sure why it was so screwy, since that happened as soon as I started the game, but everything worked normally after I restarted my 360. Might be a problem with the console itself, since it's been acting up lately and usually won't read disks until I restart the system at least once or twice.

Credits finally roll after about 35 hours, and only 46% completion. Good game, and the 8/10 average seems right to me. They've got a great engine on their hand, but need to take care of some issues in a probable Just Cause 3

- Ammo is a problem, no matter what they say. It takes close to a full clip on a maxed gun to kill a soldier, yet we have enough ammo for a game like GTA IV. That doesn't add up.

- If your gonna do regenerating health, don't half ass it, especially considering the ammo shortage. Gimme FULL regenerating health, and make it happen faster. This isn't a realistic game in the slightest so let me be a walking tank. Speaking of that, Rico needs to be able to take more damage before entering the "red zone." Normal difficulty has far too many "let me hide over here so I don't die" moments

- Gunplay could be tightened up. I have no problem with the absence of a cover system, but the enemies should die in half a clip at the most (except for "boss" characters).

- The Black Market should be free after a certain amount of percentage in the game, or a certain amount of percentage complete for a faction. Having to constantly spend $100,000 + for some ammo, and a chopper gets tiring.

One thing that really pisses me off is the accuracy of soldiers with the machine gun. I will even hide under cover and SOMEHOW their shots will go through the geometry I'm standing behind and peg me. Like, I can go a down 50% or more of my health bar from one salvo from ONE soldier.

I am playing on Experienced, though, but still. I should be able to hide and NOT be shot at for once.

Net_Wrecker said:
- Ammo is a problem, no matter what they say. It takes close to a full clip on a maxed gun to kill a soldier, yet we have enough ammo for a game like GTA IV. That doesn't add up.
I never had any problems with ammo. The key is to fire in single shots or short bursts. Enemies actually die faster this way than if you go full auto on them. Even on Hardcore it only takes 5 or 6 body shots with the fully powered MG to kill a foot soldier, or just one if you get a headshot. Also, it might seem like common sense, but only level up the weapons you're actually going to use.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bought this game Friday even though I was planning to wait until it hit $40. I just got tired of waiting so I gave in. :lol

LOVING it. I was a big fan of RFG and this reminds me of it a lot, and takes place in a huge, interesting world. Gah, it's soooo good. Love completing settlements and I spent wayyy too much time playing it today. :D

TelemachusD said:
I never had any problems with ammo. The key is to fire in single shots or short bursts. Enemies actually die faster this way than if you go full auto on them. Even on Hardcore it only takes 5 or 6 body shots with the fully powered MG to kill a foot soldier, or just one if you get a headshot. Also, it might seem like common sense, but only level up the weapons you're actually going to use.

That's the problem, this isn't Battlefield Bad Company 2. I don't want to HAVE to fire in bursts, or single shots with the pistol the whole game going for headshots. I just wanted to Rambo the whole game but they don't let you which is disappointing. I didn't use Dual Wielding ONCE in 36 hours because of the limited ammo.

Having to fire in single shots/bursts in Just Cause 2 means you had a problem with ammo whether you realized or not.

Sanic

Net_Wrecker said:
That's the problem, this isn't Battlefield Bad Company 2. I don't want to HAVE to fire in bursts, or single shots with the pistol the whole game going for headshots. I just wanted to Rambo the whole game but they don't let you which is disappointing. I didn't use Dual Wielding ONCE in 36 hours because of the limited ammo.

Having to fire in single shots/bursts in Just Cause 2 means you had a problem with ammo whether you realized or not.

I don't think i've ever used dual weilding either :O I forgot it was in the game until I read that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I always use dual wielding submachine guns. You can easily take out an entire brigade of soldiers in just two seconds (playing on hard). Then you get their ammo and you're on your way.

eshwaaz

Net_Wrecker said:
- If your gonna do regenerating health, don't half ass it, especially considering the ammo shortage. Gimme FULL regenerating health, and make it happen faster. This isn't a realistic game in the slightest so let me be a walking tank. Speaking of that, Rico needs to be able to take more damage before entering the "red zone." Normal difficulty has far too many "let me hide over here so I don't die" moments

I completely agree with this. None of the fun in JC2 comes from stiff challenges or retrying a mission repeatedly until you finally beat it by the skin of your teeth. It's just not that kind of game.

Klocker

chubigans said:
I always use dual wielding submachine guns. You can easily take out an entire brigade of soldiers in just two seconds (playing on hard). Then you get their ammo and you're on your way.

yep... my favorite way to kill... 40 hours in

Drewsky

Net_Wrecker said:

Yeah the limited ammo and health are really my biggest problems with the game. The tone of the game seems like I should be able to run around shooting and not die all the time or run out of ammo.

Top Bottom