• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Press Release said:
Starting on April 29, the Black Market Aerial Pack will be made available and contains:

-F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter: a versatile attack aircraft, equipped with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns
-Multi-lock Missile Launcher: a devastating weapon of destruction featuring laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets
-Parachute Dual Thrusters: twin parachute-mounted jets which transform Rico’s trademark parachute into one of the most nimble and powerful attack platforms.

Then, on May 25, the Black Market Boom Pack hits with three experimental and “volatile” prototype weapons:

-Quad Rocket Launcher: half shotgun, half rocket launcher, all carnage
-Cluster Bomb Launcher: the natural successor to the grenade launcher
-Air Propulsion Gun: a highly experimental jet-powered blast weapon, powerful enough to send vehicles and soldiers skywards.

Each packs will run you €1.99/$1.99/160 MSP through Steam, PSN, and XBL.

Sounds good.

reetva

Banned
I wonder how fast you go with the parachute thrusters. I'm really hoping that you travel at plane speed, but who the hell knows? I can't wait, though. :D

Mechanical Snowman said:
:lol Oh my god dude. How many hours have you logged?

Probably around 80ish? 85ish?
The ever present allure of getting 100% in all settlements was too much for me to resist T_T
I was actually 5th place on the just cause 2 website for money earned at one time :D

Chrange said:
I'm kind of hoping the parachute thrusters will help me get the Parachute Climber achievement :lol

There are quite a few low hills that go right into the big mountain ranges on the main continent. You can also just skirt the big mountains by going really slowly around them up until the top. I got 665 feet absentmindedly one day, so it doesnt take too long.

jkanownik

Chrange said:
I'm kind of hoping the parachute thrusters will help me get the Parachute Climber achievement :lol

Parachute Climber is extremely easy to do once you figure out the mechanics. You just need a mountain that isn't too steep. Once I finally figured it out I got 423M without really trying and routinely go over 300M since then.

I was really digging this game until the difficulty ramped up towards the end. It made all of the jankiness really stand out. It's way way worse than Saint's Row in that respect. Now that I've beat it I don't know if I'll go back. The game is like an abusive girlfriend that is great in the sack if she's in the mood. I may end up just walking away.

Klocker

jkanownik said:
I was really digging this game until the difficulty ramped up towards the end.

Then, on May 25, the Black Market Boom Pack hits with three experimental and “volatile” prototype weapons:

-Air Propulsion Gun: a highly experimental jet-powered blast weapon, powerful enough to send vehicles and soldiers skywards.

problem solved :D

GeoramA

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Has anyone platinum'd this yet? How hard would it be to do so?
It's not that tough really. Only had trouble with the drive 104 vehicles trophy.

Just make sure you download the ice cream truck off of PSN, because you will never find the Vanderbilt Leisureliner.

jkanownik

Klocker said:
problem solved :D

My main issues are:

1)Jumping turning into free falling from shorter heights and the problems that causes

2) The conflict between the difficulty between maneuvering the parachute in small spaces and constantly hitting objects and dying while free falling ("Gah. I can't see anything while turning the the parachute. I'm just going to free fall. AHHH. What the heck just happened? Dammit now I'm dead.")

3) One hit kills from rocket launchers/grenades that are unavoidable

If the DLC was out right now I might try it out, but there are a lot of other games coming out between now and 5/25.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I want the Air Propulsion Gun above everything else. Just by reading the description you can tell that it's gonna be a lot of fun. I think I'll go to an airport runway and blow the airliners out of the air with it. I wonder if you'll be able to super jump with it like the Soldier's launcher in TF2.

Klocker

jkanownik said:
My main issues are:

1)Jumping turning into free falling from shorter heights and the problems that causes

2) The conflict between the difficulty between maneuvering the parachute in small spaces and constantly hitting objects and dieing while free falling ("Gah. I can't see anything while turning the the parachute. I'm just going to free fall. AHHH. What the heck just happened? Dammit now I'm dead.")

3) One hit kills from rocket launchers/grenades that are unavoidable

If the DLC was out right now I might try it out, but there are a lot of other games coming out between now and 5/25.

I understand how you feel about some of these things but in about 50 hours of game play I have probably only died twice from free falling by mistake as I quickly just grapple to the ground to live!

Also anytime parachute is a hindrance in tight spots, I just drop the chute, grapple my ass off and go anywhere I want.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't even use the 'chute for free falling, I just grapple right before hitting the ground, it's looks pretty badass.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I have the opportunity to buy this game for 21 bucks, I am kind of bogged down with DA awakening and the rest of FFXIII - so I don't know if I'll be able to play it right away, but I liked the demo - GAF consensus, should I pick it up and maybe play it when my current plate is empty?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Definitely get it, especially at that price. Overall, it seems like GAF is very pleased with JC2.
It's really fun and it would be a good alternative game to those RPG's since they don't let you climb skyscrapers or surf on jets.

Kinitari said:
I have the opportunity to buy this game for 21 bucks, I am kind of bogged down with DA awakening and the rest of FFXIII - so I don't know if I'll be able to play it right away, but I liked the demo - GAF consensus, should I pick it up and maybe play it when my current plate is empty?
Get it

Chrange

Banned
Onion_Relish said:
There are quite a few low hills that go right into the big mountain ranges on the main continent. You can also just skirt the big mountains by going really slowly around them up until the top. I got 665 feet absentmindedly one day, so it doesnt take too long.

Yeah, I probably just need to actually look around instead of trying to grapple up a mountain at random when it pops into my head. Choosing a good target would be a real help.

Klocker

Snuggler said:
I don't even use the 'chute for free falling, I just grapple right before hitting the ground, it's looks pretty badass.

yea I am a grappling, diving, fool especially in firefights... that is key to me... if I'm not shooting or taking cover, I'm rolling and grapple-flying all over the battlefield. it's the only way to play this game IMO especially as the difficulty ramps up. It's a fast twitch game fosho

Finally got the Invincible Warrior trophy. I was thinking I couldn't get hit even once with a bullet or it would start my streak over, then I realized after awhile that I could take bullets so long as my health was able to regenerate back to wherever it was when I started the streak. Playing on Hardcore right now just to beat it and get those trophies, have a game no normal about 40% done. Game seems easier on Hardcore, the enemies just kind of stand there.

I'm also having a hell of a time with the stunt flyer trophy. It seems completely random as to whether or not it would count flying over water. One time I got it up to 25 fucking seconds and was so convinced I was about to get it but I forgot I was on the
Lost island
mission and I got fucking shot down right after 25 popped up :lol

Sanic

Starting on April 29, the Black Market Aerial Pack will be made available and contains:

-F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter: a versatile attack aircraft, equipped with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns
-Multi-lock Missile Launcher: a devastating weapon of destruction featuring laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets
-Parachute Dual Thrusters: twin parachute-mounted jets which transform Rico’s trademark parachute into one of the most nimble and powerful attack platforms.

Each packs will run you €1.99/$1.99/160 MSP through Steam, PSN, and XBL.

Perfect.

GeoramA

Bumblebeetuna said:
I'm also having a hell of a time with the stunt flyer trophy. It seems completely random as to whether or not it would count flying over water. One time I got it up to 25 fucking seconds and was so convinced I was about to get it but I forgot I was on the
Lost island
mission and I got fucking shot down right after 25 popped up :lol
I don't think it works over open water. There has to be land close by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlQ___3iWw

I just copied what this guy did.

GeoramA said:
I don't think it works over open water. There has to be land close by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlQ___3iWw

I just copied what this guy did.
From what I understand it depends how deep the water is. It counts how low you are over the ground, so if it's shallow water it'll work.

My suggestion to anyone would be to find the air race in the south west desert with the Peek (little prop plane). It's slow and shouldn't be too hard to find a long desert road, and fly over that.

Sanic

Finally back to Just Cause 2 after almost two weeks. My new 360 is so...quiet :lol

I tried multiple times to get that low flyer achievement but I just couldn't do it. The controls are too sensitive, so if I try to readjust I either pull up too far and ruin the chain, or I crash.

Aesius

I've got almost all of the achievements and was getting a little bored, so I decided to fly my fully upgraded Pell Silverbolt as far as I could.

Made it 60km past the "Lost" island, and was eventually flying with nothing but open ocean surrounding me in every direction. It was quite awesome. I finally parachuted out at 75km, and just floated around in the water, hoping a sea monster would eat me or something.

No luck on that, but the water/sky/clouds in this game work so well for being stranded out in the middle of the ocean. It was at sunset - beautiful and yet depressing at the same time, as Rico's fate was sealed in the enormity of the Panuan seas. I made him swim to the bottom of the ocean (at which point it becomes pitch black, btw - very cool), where he died a painful death.

I actually made it to the ocean floor with about 10% oxygen left. Pretty awesome that they purposely designed it to make it take that long to reach the bottom when you are that far out. Saw a few fish on the way down. Other than the "shark", I really wish there were some aquatic easter eggs in the game. I wanted to see some bioluminescent fish.

UFRA

Pandoracell said:
Finally back to Just Cause 2 after almost two weeks.

I'm excited to get back into this game again too.

Ever since the GTAIV Episodes for PS3 came out, I took a little break from JC2 and have been working on those games instead. However, I'm just about done with both of them now, and I can get back to working on 100% in JC2. :D Can't wait.

Aesius said:
I actually made it to the ocean floor with about 10% oxygen left. Pretty awesome that they purposely designed it to make it take that long to reach the bottom when you are that far out. Saw a few fish on the way down. Other than the "shark", I really wish there were some aquatic easter eggs in the game. I wanted to see some bioluminescent fish.
Awesome. Really makes me wish there was some kind of submersible vehicles in this game.

Neuromancer said:
Awesome. Really makes me wish there was some kind of submersible vehicles in this game.

Submarine DLC
Fund it.

That being said, I highly doubt you will ever see any underwater machines. If you think the gravity physics are wonky, the water physics are even worse. Half the time you can reach terminal velocity and just dive right into the ocean :lol

The ocean just gets in the way of things exploding anyways. Drain the ocean and let me drive around on it

reetva

Banned
There needs to be a mod for tackling enemies. You roll into them and they ragdoll. I'm not sure how easy this would be, but it must be done. :D

Denzar

Guess that solves my 'I need bigger explosions for my video" problem.

Q8D3vil

i've been tweaking the game setting. ( thanks brain_stew )
i just tried fov 1.5 & 2 both were nice but i liked 1.5 more.

my only problem is playing in the city ( the fps is between 60 and 30 there ) but it's stable 60fps anyplace else.

great great game :D

chixdiggit

Any one playing this on Mouse and Keyboard? I just can't get the hang of it with this game. The 360 pad seems like the better choice for me.

Drewsky

chixdiggit said:
Any one playing this on Mouse and Keyboard? I just can't get the hang of it with this game. The 360 pad seems like the better choice for me.
Yup, gamepad all the way. I played with mouse and keyboard for a little bit, I kind of got used to it but the gamepad is way better for a game like this.

Drewsky said:
Yup, gamepad all the way. I played with mouse and keyboard for a little bit, I kind of got used to it but the gamepad is way better for a game like this.

It doesnt have anything to do with the type of game it is. It's because they did a shit job with the controls. It's basically sloppy console controls pasted on to the mouse. It's the worst and laziest port of controls since Oblivion.

Overall, I love this game, but it frequently frustrates me in the way that it seems to actually go out of its way to prevent you from having fun. Like the guard rails on the highways...why can't I break through them with a vehicle? Or why is it that when I try to steal a chopper, it gets shot down by SAMs before I can even take the fuck off? There are lots of little annoyances like this in the game, which I just don't understand.

Really looking forward to the DLC (and a sequel, hopefully) though.

chixdiggit

Drewsky said:

Played a couple hours more with the keyboard and I think I'll stick with it now. It's not good but it still beats having to aim with the analog stick.

The thing that sucks the most is that changing the key bindings breaks the controls half the time. I swapped the "E" and "F" key around but the game would still recognize the "E" key as the key to pick up weapons. So every time I tried to pick up a weapon I would just grapple the ground.

ilikeme

I've played the PSN demo many many times now. I'm buying the whole game soon... but I want God of War 3 and Final Fantasy XIII too.... = / I am pained by the choices.
But I'd like to support the studio behind this game. They're swedish and all, homeboyzz. So perhaps I should buy this game first while it's at full price. The other games sell swell anyway...

I hope I'm making the right choice! Truly I do!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If you buy Just Cause 2, you are making the right choice. You'll be getting the funnest game and supporting Avalanche with another sale.
I'd recommend GOW3 for a weekend rental instead but that's just me.

Sanic

ilikeme said:
I've played the PSN demo many many times now. I'm buying the whole game soon... but I want God of War 3 and Final Fantasy XIII too.... = / I am pained by the choices.
But I'd like to support the studio behind this game. They're swedish and all, homeboyzz. So perhaps I should buy this game first while it's at full price. The other games sell swell anyway...

I hope I'm making the right choice! Truly I do!

Buy Just Cause 2, rent God of War 3, burn Final Fantasy XIII.

based on your avatar, I don't think you'll do that last one ;). But maybe buy Just Cause, then go FFXII, for a change of pace before you get back to GoW3.

Always-honest said:
just starting this game. what difficulty?

The one that's a notch up from normal, I don't remember what it's called. If you want a challenge that is. Many will recommend going with normal, as anything higher can be frustrating from time to time.

WEGGLES

My Parachute is not working.

At all.

Tried restarting my xbox. Reloading saves. Nothing.

Go up high in an airplane. Doesn't work.

Grapple to something. Doesn't work.

Speeding in a car. Doesn't work.

Speeding in a boat. Doesn't work.

"Stunt Position" on the nose of a jet. Doesn't work.

REALLY fucking kills the game. Help!

Top Bottom